• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Orgun

SLIM v3n0m said:

Pfft forget that, you want one of these! :lol

ctadigitalmovesteeringwheelsm.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgun said:
Pfft forget that, you want one of these! :lol

ctadigitalmovesteeringwheelsm.jpg
:lol :lol

Well, the real race at Interlagos highlights the need for Safety Cars in F1 2011 at the very least. They really can spice up a race, especially if people risk changing their strategies due to the SC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Stop It said:
:lol :lol

Well, the real race at Interlagos highlights the need for Safety Cars in F1 2011 at the very least. They really can spice up a race, especially if people risk changing their strategies due to the SC.

I was quick too to dismiss their decision to botch the safety car, before going hands on with the game.
But now I honestly think that the safety car option would only be possible completely changing the gameplay and rewriting the game's philosophy; the way it is right now the safety car would be up every two laps, simply because the same crash's physics, and especially the A.I behaviour, wouldn't work that well in that kind of gameplay environment (safety car coming out after cars' crush).
I'd love to have it already coming out together with, for example, heavier rain conditions tho!
But not for crashes, not with this game... they'd need to completely take it up a notch on the simulation side of things and, again, going back to the drawing board for gameplay design and how the races pan out. IMO of course!

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm off to the cinema after the lecture I'm in at the moment but I hope we'll be racing tonight at 8/9ish? Hopefully Lucius won't snub us this time!

If you can find me on Steam/Live just send me a message and I'll be there

Orgun

Dash Kappei said:
Don't know what to say, I'm in London with vodafone wi-fi and it works for me :/

Wonder if it's got something to do with my office, or maybe Channel 5 just don't like Oxford heh.

edit: Weird, I just tried those videos from home and they still say they are blocked due to copyright bollocks.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm off to the cinema after the lecture I'm in at the moment but I hope we'll be racing tonight at 8/9ish? Hopefully Lucius won't snub us this time!

I hit the pub!! :-(

I'm not at home tonight - in a hotel, so no gaming for me :-(

Orgun

Hmmm, I just pulled out a 1.08:445 in P1 GP mode in a red bull. That's a full two seconds faster than my online time o_O

edit: Forgot - Interlagos.

mensola

Banned
hockenheim, ai professional, tyres and fuel sym turned on, rubbish lotus.

6 th place on the grid, after 5 laps i'm fourth, on option tyre.

it starts raining, i pit and put on the intermediates.

on seventh lap track is absolutely wet, it keeps raining, and TRULLI on the same lotus on used prime tyres in now faster then me.

what is that?

(pc patched)

1-D_FTW

I'm not sure there is any in between when it comes to rain. The game will let you drive just fine on regular tires... until it decides it's "officially wet". Then those tires turn into ice skates. Guessing how many more laps you can do before the switch is pulled is the million dollar question.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
I am ashamed - I am ashamed
Indeed, you're a bad person and you should feel bad. Of course if this means that I can beat you this weekend, carry on with your social life!

1-D_FTW said:
I'm not sure there is any in between when it comes to rain. The game will let you drive just fine on regular tires... until it decides it's "officially wet". Then those tires turn into ice skates. Guessing how many more laps you can do before the switch is pulled is the million dollar question.
Well as we learned at Interlagos 2008, Timo Glock was able to use his dry tyres ok until they dramatically failed on him on the very last lap.

While F1 2010 is a bit too dramatic with the tyres suddenly becoming undrivable, reality has shown that dry tyres do seem to fall off a cliff very suddenly when it comes to usability on a track which is in the process of being rained upon.

deim0s

I've witnessed one race in light/heavy rain that the ai drivers didnt' bother to switch to wets/inters, I switched and lapped everyone else.

My new case has a few... issues. Nothing major, but I've had to order extension cables for the PSU and hopefully that will be it sorted. My first thought was that I needed my PC back up and running before Saturday. That's how much I fucking love you guys. :lol

I did a few laps earlier though and then decided to do a 40% race with the CPU in Brazil. Really good fun. I have to say, 24 racers on that track feels verryyy tight. I was playing as Button so I was lapping constantly - I felt like Lucius! I really hope F1 2011 has 24 player online, even if it is a challenge for us to fill up a 12 man lobby!

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I hate you guys. I just shave 2.5 seconds off my best time andddd...

fuckersscwt.jpg

:lol Stop being so good!

Something is fucked with the leaderboards, I just set a time and it said it's ranked 32, which it clearly isn't because it was just a 1:06:921. None of your times are loading either under friends leaderboard. :/

Need to mess around with set ups some more but I think I'm done with time trials for this race. I'm where I've always known I am.

1-D_FTW

Good. Maybe mine will disappear with it.:D You guys quote my awful time one more time, I might just log into F1 and reset it with something competent.:lol

Lucius86

Banned
I STILL don't get how Crumb posted a 1.05.687 - I am 8 tenths off that - I know I can improve by 3 tenths with my time but DAMN.

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
I STILL don't get how Crumb posted a 1.05.687 - I am 8 tenths off that - I know I can improve by 3 tenths with my time but DAMN.

Poor Crumbs. He posts an incredible time and the Leaderboards get reset.

Okay, Crumbs, do it again.:lol

Orgun

God I was having some serious trouble driving last night, I think I will change my gear ratios back down. Getting above 220mph on the start/finish straight was nice and all but I had to brake so much earlier to make it around the first corners on Interlagos.

Hmm or maybe I could leave the gear ratios as they are and raise my wing settings up from 1:1. Decisions decisions. Well, if we get some racing going this evening i'll have a play with the settings. I prefer to make my changes while we are online because i've found that offline the car feels completely different (I can get my time under 1:10 offline).

My mobo may be dead. :( I'll have to see more tonight when my IT geek of a brother comes home. :lol

So, if that's the case, apologies if I can't make it on Saturday lads! I really hope that's not going to be the case, though.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
My mobo may be dead. :( I'll have to see more tonight when my IT geek of a brother comes home. :lol

So, if that's the case, apologies if I can't make it on Saturday lads! I really hope that's not going to be the case, though.
Jeez, your pc troubles never end :) has your gfx card fried?

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha no thank fucking fuck :)

It just doesn't want to turn on when certain things are plugged in to mobo after moving it in to the new case.

Fuck mate. Hopefully you work it out soon.

So is everyone okay with Saturday again? We didn't really talk it over this week, I guess people are operating on assumption, at least I hope?

Does that work for everyone?

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Haha no thank fucking fuck :)

It just doesn't want to turn on when certain things are plugged in to mobo after moving it in to the new case.
Make sure you haven't screwed it in too tightly (And that you are using the little brass standoffs that should come with the case).

I'm being deadly serious here, you over-tighten a motherboard to a case and it will short. It sounds like pressure on the mobo is causing the thing to short and thus not work, hence it not working after plugging (heavier I bet) items in. I hope you get your issues sorted ASAP, as you're about as unlucky as Barrichello!

AcridMeat said:
Fuck mate. Hopefully you work it out soon.

So is everyone okay with Saturday again? We didn't really talk it over this week, I guess people are operating on assumption, at least I hope?

Does that work for everyone?
Yes, same time as last weekend unless if something has drastically changed.

So I'm going to race on Silverstone, heavy rain, it will be amazing.

While qualifying for it just now I made a list in my mind of the things I want changed or added in F1 2011. For your reading pleasure:

- Safety Car. I really hope the licensing issues work out, because this thing is absolutely essential to F1. It can change a race entirely, and that is just simply awesome. To hear the brutal roar of a SLS AMG in front of you is also not bad at all.

- With that, make heavy crashes more frequent. It only happened once in my entire F1 season that someone actually crashed, but he could continue the race. There was never any fatal damage to anyone's car and that's a shame. I cannot simply conceive how awesome it would be to see someone crash in front of your eyes, get a safety car, and see the driver get out of the car, maybe even a crane getting the car of track etc. It's lot of hard work but it would look amazing.

- More and more frequent information while racing. It happens more than once that I'm racing and I really want to know if the guys behind me (or in front of me) already had their pit stops. There is no way of seeing this. I also find that the weather updates are really lacking in frequency. I just did a race at Valencia and it kept on raining while the forecast said only 33% chance. I hoped it would clear out, it eventually did, but I had to notice that on my own. I really hoped someone would tell me so I could plan a new stop for tyres.

- Warm Up Lap. I hate how at the start of race, the car gets out of the pits and the game just shoots to the start of the race. It would be really cool to drive a lap around the track, park your car in the right spot, do a warm up lap and then start.

- Voice control. I can see this is a long shot and I don't really want or need that, but I just think it would be cool. Bush the RB and say to your team 'What's the weather going to be?', or 'Am I gaining on Alonso?'. Those things.

1-D_FTW

I'm not going to race this weekend. After last race, I needed a couple days away from it. Then when I finally booted it back up, I realized I don't like the Brazil track near enough to put in the hours to learn all those sharp hairpins. I'd rather spend my gaming hours on something else. Plan on being back next week though.

Leunam

TGwf8.png

QtNSJ.png

HoBsR.png

zluxB.png

AxUEN.png

lTOoR.png
Interview conducted by AcridMeat

AcridMeat: Congratulations Salacious on your first win of the season, how does it feel?
Salacious Crumb: Like warm apple pie?
AcridMeat: Are we talking home cooking or "home cooking?" ;D
Salacious Crumb: Whichever is more sexual.
AcridMeat: I like your style. Now it looked like you and Lucius had a great battle going throughout the race. Any comments?
Salacious Crumb: Lucius is a great driver, I knew I had the pace to keep up with him, but there was no way I was ever going to pass, So I just settled in behind him, trying to get into a rhythm and keep the gap small enough so that I could capitalize on any mistakes he might make.
AcridMeat: He took a risk with his tires, do you think that was a result of the pressure you had put on him?
Salacious Crumb: I would like to think so but I doubt it, I struggled on my out lap with the inters, Lucius would have seen that reflected in the split times and probably thought that it wasn't worth it to come in, after all I think there was only 3 or 4 laps left of the race at that point. Unfortunately for Lucius however the track deteriorated extremely quickly during the last lap or so and He was unable to keep his car on the track which gave me a chance to close the 20 second or so gap and overtake him. He took a gamble and it didn't pay off.
AcridMeat: Cheers. We're off to Brazil for the next race. How do you feel about the circuit?
Salacious Crumb: The circuit is great, the weather is always unpredictable, great elevation changes, and some very nice women. Also capybaras are awesome
AcridMeat: I couldn't agree more. Congratulations again on your first win. Enjoy that champagne as some of us can only dream.
Salacious Crumb: :p PUT A FUCKIN AUSSIE FLAG BEHIND MY NAME, YA MUG
AcridMeat: haha we'll get right on it.

D1C.jpg

Leunam: Second place, your best result this season so far, I believe. Especially after getting on to the podium for the first time in Japan. How do you feel?
Stop It: Very good, coming into the race I targeted 4th so to get onto the podium again is a great feeling.
Leunam: Were you prepared for rain at all? It came fairly late into the race and seemed to catch some people off guard.
Stop It: The radar said there was a 31% chance but it certainly taken its time coming! It threw race strategy out of the window and as Lucius learned the hard way, the track got very wet by the end of the race.
Leunam: There are many tricky sections in silversone. Do you have a particular favorite? Any particular corner you absolutely dread?
Stop It: The Maggots and Becketts complex is my favourite, you carry so much speed going through them and into Chapel. It's easy to get wrong but when you get it right it's a fantastic feeling. The Luffield corner is easily my bogey corner as it's so fiddly, so easy to put too much power into the entry and go wide, or leave it too late and be left standing.
Leunam: Interlagos is next. Any thoughts on the track?
Stop It: Another fast, low downforce yet fast flowing track with lot of oppertunity to pass, and to go very very wrong. It'll be another fantastic race I'm sure.

0040062001287954296.gif

Leunam: Acrid, your first podium so far, how do you feel right now?
AcridMeat: I'm happy for the team, but left frustrated. I need a coke and ice cream to cool off.
Leunam: Given your result, especially in the rain, frustrated is a little hard to comprehend. What frustrated you?
AcridMeat: Well we were lucky that the Lotus' risk didn't pay off and we gained a position, but the entire race was a battle with team Virgin flex wing. There were a handful of opportunities during the race to pass but it never stuck. The last incident in turns 13 and 14 made it known this wasn't my race.
Leunam: Do you mind going into detail about the incident? despite it not being your race it certainly played into your hands well.
AcridMeat: Well there was the incident with HRT and Lotus. Not sure what happened but while battling with the Virgin the HRT came across the apex, which allowed me to get the upper hand going into 14. Not sure what happened after but as I was turning I got a virgin booty all up in my junk, causing me to go off with them and I wasn't able to recovery afterwards. Congrats to the Red Bull team as well for breaking through with a great race.
Leunam: Is there anywhere you think you can improve so you can land on the podium more often?
AcridMeat: Well the sleeping pills seemed to work against McLaren and Ferrari. I'll have to see if we can acquire more. My rain dance is continuing to improve, it would have been nice if we had another 3 laps or so. This was indeed a lucky and unlucky race, so I don't think the team can let it get to their heads.
Leunam: Interlagos is next. Any thoughts on the track?
AcridMeat: It has become one of my favorites. It flows very well which allows one to get into Rhythm. The first turn is quite tricky. To compensate I'll have to call in some favors to allow nails, oil and a sand trap while allowing a shortcut for Renault. Looking forward to it.

FoU4M.png

Leunam

Thanks Acrid for doing the post-post-race interview for me. And sorry to everyone for getting this up so late. I've been fighting off a flu for the past three days and I've just now managed to crawl out of bed to do this. I'll put up the preview for Brazil a little later.

AcridMeat

Banned
Leunam said:
Thanks Acrid for doing the post-post-race interview for me. And sorry to everyone for getting this up so late. I've been fighting off a flu for the past three days and I've just now managed to crawl out of bed to do this. I'll put up the preview for Brazil a little later.

No problem, keep up the great work. The interview was fun. :lol

Salacious Crumb

Man, what a bastard. of course it had to happen when I had the stupid unbeatable time. It's strange cause my best time and the ghost are still saved locally....

Anyway, I fired up TT again to try and reclaim my time, I did about 15 laps and the best time I set was 1.06.1xx ;_;

Still that puts me at 18th in the world, for now anyway.

Stop It

Salacious Crumb said:
Man, what a bastard. of course it had to happen when I had the stupid unbeatable time. It's strange cause my best time and the ghost are still saved locally....

Anyway, I fired up TT again to try and reclaim my time, I did about 15 laps and the best time I set was 1.06.1xx ;_;

Yeah, the leaderboard reset was a bit weird but then with all the cheat times on there, it was needed. I'm sure you'll repeat your time at some point!

Anyway, nice interview with Acrid there crumb, gave me a good giggle. Looking forward to tomorrow, should be a very interesting race.

Lucius86

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:

I lost all my other times at other GPs - only I was still in the top 20 at one track the other day :-(

Lucius86

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
I thought my previous time might have been a fluke....

http://imgur.com/e6bAR.png

7 hundredths slower, but it'll do for now :lol

Yeah, but you are still a noob.

On that note - can you post your setup for all to see? There seems to be a massive variation in setup for everyone - for example, I used 3-3 on the downforce settings...but Stop It uses 1-1.

Salacious Crumb

Lucius86 said:
Yeah, but you are still a noob.

On that note - can you post your setup for all to see? There seems to be a massive variation in setup for everyone - for example, I used 3-3 on the downforce settings...but Stop It uses 1-1.

Well when it comes to set ups I genuinely am a noob. All I use is far right in the quick set up menu and set the engine to fast.

I know we all hate a gloating bastard (Lucius!) but...

Leunam said:

This is clearly the most important and toughest aspect of our GAF league which requires the most skill to dominate. :D

On a serious note, being tied at 26pts with Orgun is the most exciting thing for me at the moment. Acrid may be my nemesis, but Orgun is my main rival!

Top Bottom