• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Dance Central allows me to have the physique of a real F1 driver. >_>

Maybe, but in my eyes you will always be the huge fat kid who sweats a lot playing dance games now. You and your stupid Kinect.

Leunam

Nf6UA.png

QRVUd.png

fklNh.png

NUXlB.png

s30K9.png

uQlBa.png

Li1B0.png

Leunam

AcridMeat said:
AHA! Sneaky Leunam, you scored 4 points last race meaning you have 5. :lol

Yeah but we weren't awarding points for DNFs remember? I'd have to go back and dig up records for everyone else. :/

untoldhero said:
Put the damn Aussie flag behind Salacious already! :lol

I've been meaning to I swear. :(

Peterthumpa

I'm in tomorrow, but pleeeeeeeeeeeease, we have to define a fixed weather (dry).
With the latest patch, running in the rain has become not only ugly, but unplayable.

AcridMeat

Banned
Leunam said:
Yeah but we weren't awarding points for DNFs remember? I'd have to go back and dig up records for everyone else. :/

I've been meaning to I swear. :(

Wait huh? I think that's unfair if you never disconnected or DQ'd.

edit: Well, at first it was an innocent lesson of Interlagos with Tyler. Then I remembered there was the bumpy hill and we sort of spent 5 minutes messing around on that. :lol
mQ8PB.jpg

At one point I did a nosedive into Tyler and got a penalty for an illegal overtake. :lol :lol

Lucius86

Banned
felipepl said:
I'm in tomorrow, but pleeeeeeeeeeeease, we have to define a fixed weather (dry).
With the latest patch, running in the rain has become not only ugly, but unplayable.

Er, no. Racing in the wet before was FAR too easy. I want a dry race too, because I am faster in the dry, but it ruins the champ if we start pre-determining variables that make F1 racing exciting.

Last race I should have won, but I came 4th thanks to the weather.

Oh, and if you do race today, can you try not to ram people? You upset quite a few peeps last race you entered by just hitting people all the time. We all want to race hard, but ramming people is not cool.

So I was doing a bit of experimenting last night on Brazil. Before I was using the Race Department setup for the car, but once Dilly said he was using the far right setup and I shaved nearly 1.5 seconds off my time:

untitled-1oizu.jpg

Much easier to take first corner with it, too. Definitely what I'm using for the race!

1-D_FTW said:
I'm not going to race this weekend. After last race, I needed a couple days away from it. Then when I finally booted it back up, I realized I don't like the Brazil track near enough to put in the hours to learn all those sharp hairpins. I'd rather spend my gaming hours on something else. Plan on being back next week though.
Can I just say I think this is pretty weak. If you're in a league you should play regardless of your opinion on the track. It's not fair for both the people who race every week, and those who couldn't get in to the league at the start due to too many people applying. Really weak.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Can I just say I think this is pretty weak. If you're in a league you should play regardless of your opinion on the track. It's not fair for both the people who race every week, and those who couldn't get in to the league at the start due to too many people applying. Really weak.
Totally agree with this post. If at the start of the championship people were honest and said they didn't expect to actually complete some or all of the races, we could have possibly allowed others who were more committed to join.

It's not life or death but when people do this, or say they cannot play before being online just playing something else like we had someone do last week, it isn't fair to those who committed to the championship properly.

Come on guys, either commit or leave, don't leave us hanging.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:

Then I retire. I spend all my gaming hours each week learning a track, just so that I can compete with the second group. This track would have required the most hours I've put in yet. And for what? 2 of the last 3 weeks have been jokes. On Montreal I get a 3 lap penalty on the first turn and my race is over. And last week, after taking all 2 weeks to finally get reasonably competent at Silverstone, I get absolutely destroyed with 1.1 laps to go by a backtracker who made the most asinine move imaginable. I wish I could have recorded that 30 second clip there, because it was beyond rage worthy. I practice all week so I can run a race without spinning out in a 360 for that?

And on top of that, how many times have you mentioned X or Y is your main rival? I don't think you've mentioned me once in this thread even though we are pretty neck and neck.

And the stupid game locked again last night while in DX 11 mode. And there's no way I'll ever play the game in DX 9 again.

So blame last week. If I'm not so enraged, I don't load S.T.A.L.K.E.R. up and get completely hooked.

As for fairness, I didn't realize the guy who destroyed my race wasn't even a regular. How was that fair to me? If replacement guys aren't going to learn the track, they shouldn't be out there ruining the experience for guys with an investment. 1.1 laps left. HTF do you do what he did when you're laps behind anybody?

1-D_FTW said:
Then I retire. I spend all my gaming hours each week learning a track, just so that I can compete with the second group. This track would have required the most hours I've put in yet. And for what? 2 of the last 3 weeks have been jokes. On Montreal I get a 3 lap penalty on the first turn and my race is over. And last week, after taking all 2 weeks to finally get reasonably competent at Silverstone, I get absolutely destroyed with 1.1 laps to go by a backtracker who made the most asinine move imaginable. I wish I could have recorded that 30 second clip there, because it was beyond rage worthy. I practice all week so I can run a race without spinning out in a 360 for that?

And on top of that, how many times have you mentioned X or Y is your main rival? I don't think you've mentioned me once in this thread even though we are pretty neck and neck.

And the stupid game locked again last night while in DX 11 mode. And there's no way I'll ever play the game in DX 9 again.

So blame last week. If I'm not so enraged, I don't load S.T.A.L.K.E.R. up and get completely hooked.

As for fairness, I didn't realize the guy who destroyed my race wasn't even a regular. How was that fair to me? If replacement guys aren't going to learn the track, they shouldn't be out there ruining the experience for guys with an investment. 1.1 laps left. HTF do you do what he did when you're laps behind anybody?
Most of those things you mentioned are just part of the game, for better or worse. I barely missed Lucius last week and if I had hit him it just would've been a racing incident that you shrug off. Likewise, I'm still getting that pit lane bug which loses me a position every race but I deal with it.

You don't have to retire I'm just saying it's not really polite to be part of a league and then not play. It's meant to be fun and you're taking it too seriously IMO.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

Right, lets clear 2 things up now just so we have the record straight....

1. We had no new people last week
2. The person you hit was ME - not a backmarker, but the race leader until the final lap. I apologise massively, but slick tyres on a wet track made it impossible for me to do anything to protect myself and others. It's a massive shame you hit me, but sometimes in racing shit happens - you just lucked out.

Personally, I think we all take things seriously here - BUT we are not pros - we all make mistakes, and we need to just enjoy ourselves. Stop It had a rage session after Monaco (which I was part of too - I'm spotting a trend here...) but he's realised each person means a lot to the tournament. Don't hear your name mentioned as a rival? Then that means he underestimates you and you can capitalise on it into a win for you - this is not a popularity contest, so I'm bemused why you are upset about this.

I have to agree with these guys here - I think backing out of a race because you don't like the track is really a shame - we had too many people at the start of the tournament and we had to turn people away.

If the game crashes in DX11 mode, go to DX9. Being elitist here helps no one, because you cannot race. And that's what matters.

AcridMeat

Banned
Here's my two cents on the situation.

If he doesn't want to make the commitment this week he doesn't have to. There have been plenty of races where people have missed it without notice. He doesn't have an obligation. Yes, it is more fun with everyone but if he isn't having fun then that's that. The league is meant to be fun, so stop ganging up on 1-D over it.

1-D_FTW

I just want to say a couple other things: I made that post on Wednesday. It was completely ignored even though FV made posts immediately after. He then bumps the quote a couple hours before the race? Um... okay. Classy. If you wanted to shame me into racing, you could have easily posted that days ago instead of bookmarking it for just before the race. Then at least I would have been able to learn the track before the race.

And as for taking spots for worthy players. Give me a break. The week of Australia I wasn't home for a bunch of days. And I was told the driving line aide was going to be allowed. We get to qualifying and it's disabled. I'm racing on a track I don't know that well, playing without the driving line for the 1st time, without any knowledge of brake points, and qualified 12th. Anyone who couldn't beat my horrific time would not have stuck around as long as I did getting creamed week in and week out.

I'd raced every week prior. Some guys silently drop out and anyone who wanted to race could have. Has TylerD raced since Monaco? That dude was elite too. I feel like I'm taking the blame because I at least had the courtesy to express why I wasn't going to show.

Maybe this reads like a rant, but not only are the remarks disappointing, they're not even fair.

I replied to it because I didn't see it at the time and it was linked when we were trying to figure out who was racing. I don't have anything against you. I said last week when Dilly was playing Fallout instead of racing with us it was rude, too.

You seem to think we're all out to get you. :\

AcridMeat

Banned
GamePnoy74 said:
LTTP, but i just saw that F1 2010 on Steam is currently 33% off...I just might bite this weekend...dang it :lol

It could be on sale again during Steam's Black Friday and/or Christmas sale as well.

Orgun

I had bloody good fun today. Even if, as Flora says, I spent most of the time fighting the car and myself. Sucks that Staab got penalties from passing me awhile I was facing the wrong way, that really needs to be fixed.

You're only two points ahead of me Flora, don't go getting cocky yet! :lol (That's what she said).

So where are we off too for the next race? Hungary?

Roll on next week!

I would say that even with that two point lead I have other you we have a tight three races ahead, but then again the way you were bitch slapped around by that first corner today tells me I don't need to worry too much. ;)

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I would say that even with that two point lead I have other you we have a tight three races ahead, but then again the way you were bitch slapped around by that first corner today tells me I don't need to worry too much. ;)

ohitson.jpg

TylerD

I had the pace to keep up with the mid pack this week but the consistency was sorely lacking. It is very nice to actually have splits for people directly in front and behind you now.

Spent too long on my options and they were all red by the time I pit and that made for a couple of hairy laps that I couldn't really recover from. Had to push hard to try to make up time and paid for it repeatedly. :lol

I enjoyed racing with everyone again and I am very sorry that I missed the past two races at Montreal and Silverstone.

Hungaroring is fine with me for the next race.

Are we doing 9 or 10 races in our championship?

:lol

Anyway, I brought this up during the race but I figure I should post it here too.

Basically, after the next three races I was thinking we could do another short league. The "endurance" one, or something. 100% race length, full damage on and possibly full flags too (although I'm not sure about this as they're quite frustrating even on restricted). I think that after racing so much we're ready for the challenge of not wrecking each other and also keeping up our pace for the entire race.

Obviously this will take up more time, so maybe it can be every 2 weeks, or just whenever we can find time to do it. We could try the greatest hits of this league track wise, such as Monaco and Brazil, or just pick 4 new ones. I think picking our favourites would make 100% tolerable, though!

I was going to suggest this to the guys who I play on Steam with the most, but if we can a few others interested that would be great! No need to officially do anything yet, though, as we have three more weeks of racing to look forward to :) I'm just throwing the idea out there casually.

Dilly

Banned
Sorry guys, I'm feeling sick and I fell asleep.

I do kinda support 1D's proposal of having one race/2 weeks when we do another league.

deim0s

To anyone who played with career mode, why do I get a feeling that I'm the bastard child of the team?

Start of my 3rd season and was given a seat as 2nd in Ferrari. The car performs like I'm back with Lotus! I couldnt lap sub 1 .29s in Melbourne! Is it the car with zero upgrades or the AI jump between pro and legendary is huge?

AcridMeat

Banned
deim0s said:
To anyone who played with career mode, why do I get a feeling that I'm the bastard child of the team?

Start of my 3rd season and was given a seat as 2nd in Ferrari. The car performs like I'm back with Lotus! I couldnt lap sub 1 .29s in Melbourne! Is it the car with zero upgrades or the AI jump between pro and legendary is huge?

I'm not really sure how the car changes between difficulty levels, if it does. It could be that there aren't any upgrades again. That's unfortunate if it handles exactly like the beginning cars though, I hope that is just the bump in difficulty you made.

Massa

deim0s said:

You never know it with Ferrari, maybe they want the other driver to be faster than you. :p

Lucius86

Banned
Well that was a fucking fun race. I hope you guys enjoyed me getting distracted by my mates, me drink driving (I did 3 cans during the race) and general trash talking. :lol

What I learnt from yesterday...

1. Crumb is a nightmare when he's overtaking you, because he will literally go for a manoeuvre at ANY corner, not the sensible places :lol
2. Drink driving IS FUN
3. People yanking at your wheel causes mistakes - funnily enough
4. Acrid is a noob

Same again next week :D

Salacious Crumb

Lucius86 said:
Well that was a fucking fun race. I hope you guys enjoyed me getting distracted by my mates, me drink driving (I did 3 cans during the race) and general trash talking. :lol

What I learnt from yesterday...

1. Crumb is a nightmare when he's overtaking you, because he will literally go for a manoeuvre at ANY corner, not the sensible places :lol
2. Drink driving IS FUN
3. People yanking at your wheel causes mistakes - funnily enough
4. Acrid is a noob

"By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right."

-Ayrton Senna

:p

Stop It

Massa said:
You never know it with Ferrari, maybe they want the other driver to be faster than you. :p
:lol :lol

Salacious Crumb said:
"By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win. And the main motivation is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right."

-Ayrton Senna

:p
Note to self, brake test Crumbs next time he is following...

AcridMeat said:
Wait huh? I think that's unfair if you never disconnected or DQ'd.

edit: Well, at first it was an innocent lesson of Interlagos with Tyler. Then I remembered there was the bumpy hill and we sort of spent 5 minutes messing around on that. :lol
mQ8PB.jpg

At one point I did a nosedive into Tyler and got a penalty for an illegal overtake. :lol :lol
Was this in an overcast or something, I hate how dark this game looks for daytime races, yet in the rain the game looks 100% perfect, I don't get it.

Stop It

Salacious Crumb said:
Next race...

Webber failing at lapping a Lotus

Substitute that Lotus for a Virgin

He's gone right up there...

Shame that doesn't happen in F1 2010, only your average rear ends ever happen. Codemasters take note!

So,
Vettel is the 2010 F1 World Champion. A good win today but the car won it really as he made a lot of mistakes this season. Lol @ Alonso moaning at Petrov!:lol Sorry, but he out-drove you today Fernando!
I really must complete the last few races in my Championship!

AcridMeat

Banned
Diablohead said:
Was this in an overcast or something, I hate how dark this game looks for daytime races, yet in the rain the game looks 100% perfect, I don't get it.

Yeah it was overcast, I think 49% chance. I didn't have the lighting mod for Interlagos on, just the default codemasters lighting.

Lucius is just bitter the controller peasant beat him. I do like how you say you were trash talking, but all we heard was a sort of mumbling gargle. :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Well it sounded like trash :p I took my mic off and had it on the desk as I was speaking to my mates whilst racing, and I guessed you didn't want to hear that...

You were bloody fast though, hence why it took me 4 laps to get to within one second off you from 3 seconds! Ass

Top Bottom