• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Orgun

Just did a test run on Monaco in Heavy Rain. I couldn't tell if there was rain in the tunnel but the cars were definitely kicking up a lot of spray as they went through it.

Load times are even faster now! Took like half a second to go from the GP back to the paddock :lol

1-D_FTW

I've noticed some corner caching. I'll guess I'll just try making the replay file read-only again.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the whole replay sharing? It looks no different at all. And it definitely isn't showing any place where you can save or export these things that I can see.

EDIT: So no hiccups with the replay read only.

deim0s

Where do you find the replays actually? There's no saving on the replay menus or post-race boards.

[edit] My old rig is running this on 25+ fps! Nice optimizations codies. Now just the wet tunnel and the tyre type texture (all is fine, for now). ;)

My game doesn't load any faster. :( I'm usually one of the last to load, because I always hear people talking about if it's going to rain or not etc sat in the pitlane as I'm staring at the loading screens :lol

1-D_FTW

Maybe you're the one who was always a fraction slower than me. I'd hear people taking for quite a while. Finally load in. And then have the "waiting for other players" for like .5 seconds.:lol

I'm loading nice and fast now. Loving the FF, framerate performace, DX 11 upgrades. No hiccups with replay disabled. No loading crashes. 10/10 for me on this update.

Not even having tire issues. Options have the stripe. Primes are bare.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
1-D_FTW said:
Maybe you're the one who was always a fraction slower than me. I'd hear people taking for quite a while. Finally load in. And then have the "waiting for other players" for like .5 seconds.:lol

I'm loading nice and fast now. Loving the FF, framerate performace, DX 11 upgrades. No hiccups with replay disabled. No loading crashes. 10/10 for me on this update.

Not even having tire issues. Options have the stripe. Primes are bare.
The issue with the tyres is actually in the garage. The options and primes switch places sometimes so when you select Primes it'll have Options on the floor waiting, but when they are fitted the stripe magically disappears!

No huge issue though and frankly, while silly, it's not gameplay affecting. Still mighty impressed with the extra FPS though. Using all of my GPU pays dividends it seems. My old GTX 275 isn't outdated just yet.

Shaneus

Stop It said:
The issue with the tyres is actually in the garage. The options and primes switch places sometimes so when you select Primes it'll have Options on the floor waiting, but when they are fitted the stripe magically disappears!

No huge issue though and frankly, while silly, it's not gameplay affecting. Still mighty impressed with the extra FPS though. Using all of my GPU pays dividends it seems. My old GTX 275 isn't outdated just yet.
Happy about that performance boost... hoping my 5830 is up to the task!

Lucius86

Banned
Popping in to say hi again...

Could be some bad news. I was misinformed earlier in the week - I will have a PHONE LINE today, but still no Internet. So no patch and potentially no Silverstone action for me Saturday - it's all up in the air. Not a happy bunny.

So can people confirm better pit lane exiting, sector times now showing etc....?

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
Popping in to say hi again...

Could be some bad news. I was misinformed earlier in the week - I will have a PHONE LINE today, but still no Internet. So no patch and potentially no Silverstone action for me Saturday - it's all up in the air. Not a happy bunny.

So can people confirm better pit lane exiting, sector times now showing etc....?
The pit lane exit is better but still not perfect, in fact during a GP mode race the game released me into Michael Schumacher's path!

Anyway, I hope you get sorted ASAP with your internets, this weekend just wouldn't be the same if you weren't there.

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
The pit lane exit is better but still not perfect, in fact during a GP mode race the game released me into Michael Schumacher's path!

Anyway, I hope you get sorted ASAP with your internets, this weekend just wouldn't be the same if you weren't there.

Cool, well I'd rather hit Schumacher in the pits than get held up for 20 seconds.

Is there a way I can get the patch in a downloadable file, or do you have to do it through GFWL?

Just steal some WiFi if you don't have the net by Saturday, Lucius. :p

I'm going to get in an early practice session at Silverstone now with some Giant Bombcast. Hopefully some of you folks will be up for a couple of races somtime today/this evening? :D

Edit: Oh dear, my game is deciding to die again. I have Afterburner running with 80% fans, the temp isn't going above 75, and yet every minute or so I dip to 10fps. I've put all my settings down from ultra to high, but it still happens. Nooo! :(

Edit 2: I restarted the game and it seems okay now. Maybe just a random hiccup. Here's hoping!

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Just steal some WiFi if you don't have the net by Saturday, Lucius. :p

Anyone know about hacking someone's WEP key? :lol

Also, can someone point some alternate mirrors to the patch, or host it on an FTP? All sites are blocked here at work :-(

EDIT: Whilst I am at it, what real world lap times are you guys pumping in to Silverstone? A few people are criticising my lap and setup, saying it needs more DF and they can get in the 29's with it, but I am SLOWER with a higher DF setup, consistantly putting in 1.32.4xx rather than my 1.31.7xx in the vid.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:

Also, can someone point some alternate mirrors to the patch, or host it on an FTP? All sites are blocked here at work :-(

EDIT: Whilst I am at it, what real world lap times are you guys pumping in to Silverstone? A few people are criticising my lap and setup, saying it needs more DF and they can get in the 29's with it, but I am SLOWER with a higher DF setup, consistantly putting in 1.32.4xx rather than my 1.31.7xx in the vid.

The patch is up on RaceDepartment

The best GP time i've done is in the 1.33's using your setup but with the wrings set to 4/2

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:

You're pretty damn good. Are these people you can trust? If not, they could be people just spewing b.s. or not understanding this isn't TT and track conditions vary wildly.

Orgun said:
The patch is up on RaceDepartment

The best GP time i've done is in the 1.33's using your setup but with the wrings set to 4/2

On my final lap of qualifying yesterday (running on Primes) I ran a 1.33xx and was ecstatic.

I'm running with a lot of grip. I suppose I'll use the next couple days to see how much grip I can get rid of. Right now I lack speed from it, but I'm not having any spin outs or trouble with corners. Gotta find out where that cutoff margin is.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
You're pretty damn good. Are these people you can trust? If not, they could be people just spewing b.s. or not understanding this isn't TT and track conditions vary wildly.

I know I am a fast driver, but that doesn't mean I am good at all tracks. It could be people spewing crap or comparing to TT lap times as you say, but they havn't done that for any of the other vids. Oh well...

Oh, and I am now downloading the patch - thanks guys :D

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
I know I am a fast driver, but that doesn't mean I am good at all tracks. It could be people spewing crap or comparing to TT lap times as you say, but they havn't done that for any of the other vids. Oh well...

Oh, and I am now downloading the patch - thanks guys :D

I suck and don't suck. By gaf league standards, I do. But my TT laps are in the top 10 percent (maybe even top 5 percent). So in the grand scheme, I'm significantly above average at the game. And let me tell you, with your settings, I can't even take the early turns at the speeds you are. Unless I want to drift onto the grass, I have to go a gear lower than your video. There is some major skill being displayed.

I suppose it's possible they are being legit, but if guys like Salacious and Stop it can't beat those times either, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think a lot of people do TT, in all honesty. Most of the time when I put in my lap times for the tracks we do on the GAF league I'm in the top 200-300, which is ridiculous. :lol I know I'm pretty average at the game. I think for Melbourne I was within the top 100 at the time.

1-D_FTW

Probably not.:lol But that's usually where I am. The last racing game I was really into was the MotoGP games on Xbox. On there track conditions were always the same. And you could set your lap records under any condition. It was a popular game online and I put in a whole lot of hours. I just cracked the top 5 percent in those games. That's my lot in life. The worst of the best or the top of the rest.

Ironically, because I'm struggling with finding settings that match my style, I think I actually wipe out more with F1 cars than I did with those motorcycles. One of these days I'm going to go find a FAQ that shows exactly what those garage settings do so I can intelligently tweak exactly what I want.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I suck and don't suck. By gaf league standards, I do. But my TT laps are in the top 10 percent (maybe even top 5 percent). So in the grand scheme, I'm significantly above average at the game. And let me tell you, with your settings, I can't even take the early turns at the speeds you are. Unless I want to drift onto the grass, I have to go a gear lower than your video. There is some major skill being displayed.

I suppose it's possible they are being legit, but if guys like Salacious and Stop it can't beat those times either, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's all about turn in points with this track. You MUST turn in early for most corners, or else you will slide off wide with understeer and lose time.

From 2:05 on my lap...

T1, I clip the kerb on the way through - T2 and T3 you can, and should, clip the kerb. T4 and, in particular, T5, clipping the kerb will through you off your line, so get as close to them as possible, whilst not riding them. T6 you should clip the kerb to straighten your line onto Hangar straight.

Hope this helps :D

This is actually my first time using Lucius' custom setup and I think that's why I'm struggling with Silverstone. I'm about 4 seconds behind Stop It, because with this setup I don't fly around the corners like I used to. I really need to break hard and turn early to make sure I don't fly 40ft off.

I definitely see the difference on the straights though. I set a time with my default setup (far right - which is always what I've used until now) and then with Lucius' setup and even with poorer cornering, I still overtook my ghost on the straight and stayed ahead of it. :lol

It's harder, but I'm converted. Gonna start using custom setups now :)

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
It's all about turn in points with this track. You MUST turn in early for most corners, or else you will slide off wide with understeer and lose time.

From 2:05 on my lap...

T1, I clip the kerb on the way through - T2 and T3 you can, and should, clip the kerb. T4 and, in particular, T5, clipping the kerb will through you off your line, so get as close to them as possible, whilst not riding them. T6 you should clip the kerb to straighten your line onto Hangar straight.

Hope this helps :D

:lol Yes. Thanks. I also noticed this in your video. Actually figured this was a major issue yesterday and tried emulating it. Resulted in a lot of spin outs and me wondering HTF does he do that?

I think it's a cockpit thing. About the last 5 laps I ran yesterday I switched from modified t-cam to modified cockpit. I've got 2 custom cockpit views. I was using the higher up one. Now that I adjusted to that one, I'm going to switch to the lower one the next couple days. I'm sure I'll have much better luck with the cockpit viewpoint. There's one kerb in particular you just maul and if I even touch I'm doing a 360. But I think it's just not being able to read it properly from my higher perspective.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
:lol Yes. Thanks. I also noticed this in your video. Actually figured this was a major issue yesterday and tried emulating it. Resulted in a lot of spin outs and me wondering HTF does he do that?

I think it's a cockpit thing. About the last 5 laps I ran yesterday I switched from modified t-cam to modified cockpit. I've got 2 custom cockpit views. I was using the higher up one. Now that I adjusted to that one, I'm going to switch to the lower one the next couple days. I'm sure I'll have much better luck with the cockpit viewpoint. There's one kerb in particular you just maul and if I even touch I'm doing a 360. But I think it's just not being able to read it properly from my higher perspective.

It's weird you are spinning it on the kerbs - there is one, T8, where you must not hit the raised part of the kerb or else that will likely piss you up the wall - just make sure that if you are slowing down through T2-T6, if you touch a kerb don't accelerate on it and make sure your steering does not make any sudden changes.

Cut over the kerbs to make your driving line as straight as possible, but don't use them as tarmac.

EDIT: On the YT vid, someone has got back to me...

"not through time trial.... its through the normal grand prix option tat i did it.... nw presently my best is 1:29:268"

Okay, WTF. Over 2 seconds faster. Really, is that possible?

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
It's weird you are spinning it on the kerbs - there is one, T8, where you must not hit the raised part of the kerb or else that will likely piss you up the wall - just make sure that if you are slowing down through T2-T6, if you touch a kerb don't accelerate on it and make sure your steering does not make any sudden changes.

Cut over the kerbs to make your driving line as straight as possible, but don't use them as tarmac.

EDIT: On the YT vid, someone has got back to me...

"not through time trial.... its through the normal grand prix option tat i did it.... nw presently my best is 1:29:268"

Okay, WTF. Over 2 seconds faster. Really, is that possible?
1:29.268 in GP mode? Ok that's frankly insane.

Anyway, I have been practising in "race" conditions and the prime tyres are pretty awful at Silverstone, but they last for ages. It'll be interesting to see how long people try to make the Options hold on for and who can actually keep on the track with dying tyres.

1-D_FTW

What exactly are "race" conditions?

I looked around trying to find information on cars and setups. And according to the racedepartment forums, all cars have different physical characteristics. I.E.: the downforce of the Red Bull is radically different from the Ferrari. The physical shape of the car makes ballast placement significantly different with each model.

Which begs the question, what exactly is the baseline for the online cars? Are the perfect settings for the McLaren/Mercedes significantly different in single-player vs online. And what about my HTR online.

I really wish Codemasters would publish some type of technical data so people smarter than me could make sense of it.

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
What exactly are "race" conditions?

I looked around trying to find information on cars and setups. And according to the racedepartment forums, all cars have different physical characteristics. I.E.: the downforce of the Red Bull is radically different from the Ferrari. The physical shape of the car makes ballast placement significantly different with each model.

Which begs the question, what exactly is the baseline for the online cars? Are the perfect settings for the McLaren/Mercedes significantly different in single-player vs online. And what about my HTR online.

I really wish Codemasters would publish some type of technical data so people smarter than me could make sense of it.

I think the general consensus is that the McLaren is the fastest car in human hands, as it's the fastest on the straights and we can attack corners in a way that negates the extra DF levels the Red Bull has over it. As for which car is used online, I am assuming it is either the RBR or the Macca, as the speed and lap times I get are pretty much identical to that of what I post on YouTube.

This is why I do my laps in GP mode in P3, to simulate a 'real-world' on-line situation with tyres degrading, tracks which are not rubbered in, fuel load, engine temperatures and weather effects. This is why in TT lap times are so much faster - everything is at a perfect level for performance - we never experience that though racing online nor in GP or career.

A dry weather GP race in P3 allows me to set times in dry conditions we would expect online. Add in some fuel, I do my lap which hopefully reflects almost the same performance to what we get on our Saturday's.

When we race online, we set all the cars to be of the same performance, which is of the fastest car - that's why my Lotus can keep up with a Macca online, and makes our races online come down to the drivers, rather than the car.

1-D_FTW

Lucius86 said:
I think the general consensus is that the McLaren is the fastest car in human hands, as it's the fastest on the straights and we can attack corners in a way that negates the extra DF levels the Red Bull has over it. As for which car is used online, I am assuming it is either the RBR or the Macca, as the speed and lap times I get are pretty much identical to that of what I post on YouTube.

This is why I do my laps in GP mode in P3, to simulate a 'real-world' on-line situation with tyres degrading, tracks which are not rubbered in, fuel load, engine temperatures and weather effects. This is why in TT lap times are so much faster - everything is at a perfect level for performance - we never experience that though racing online nor in GP or career.

A dry weather GP race in P3 allows me to set times in dry conditions we would expect online. Add in some fuel, I do my lap which hopefully reflects almost the same performance to what we get on our Saturday's.

When we race online, we set all the cars to be of the same performance, which is of the fastest car - that's why my Lotus can keep up with a Macca online, and makes our races online come down to the drivers, rather than the car.

Yes. But the question I have: what is that "equal online car" based on? Which model? Practicing and tweaking the McClaren doesn't seem to directly relate to what I'm driving when online. Or maybe it does and it is the McClaren.

The last couple weeks I have done my late week practicing in GP mode. But if downforce characteristics are different for each model, it doesn't matter if my garage settings allow me to run flawless laps in QP practice, because the car characteristics on the "online equal car" may be significantly different than the McClaren I was running.

Essentially I'd like to be able to tweak the settings in practice so when I load those settings in the online races, it's exactly what I'm expecting. You're saying it's either the Maca or the Red Bull. I guess I'll switch to Red Bull then. Right now I've got a garage setting that allows me to run lap after lap in practice without spinning. I doubt that'd happen with online mode. The car would handle slightly different since my tweaks were based on a different model.

EDIT: So Macca = McClaren?:lol So maybe it is the car I'm practicing with.

Helios_CM: Is there any way you could get the info and post what which car is being used for the online equal mode?

Lucius86

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Essentially I'd like to be able to tweak the settings in practice so when I load those settings in the online races, it's exactly what I'm expecting. You're saying it's either the Maca or the Red Bull. I guess I'll switch to Red Bull then. Right now I've got a garage setting that allows me to run lap after lap in practice without spinning. I doubt that'd happen with online mode. The car would handle slightly different since my tweaks were based on a different model.

Well I always practice with a Macca and I don't notice any difference in lap times to online, nor in how the car handles. To be honest, the RBR and Macca are quite similar in feel - if you practice with either, you should be fine. I can't give you an honest answer on exactly which car, because I just don't know.

Also note online you have more cars around you - so you are likely to get in their 'dirty air' and have more understeer than you may expect, and the concentration on other cars and heightened anxiety will make people drive differently compared to cool situations - I know I do.

I think we all need to be able to adapt though - all this training in the dry, we could easily have a sudden downpour in Quali, and the race starts in damp, but drying conditions. I am happy there is that air of slight uncertainty with how the track sometimes handles because it makes us have to work harder in getting that killer lap time. It's much more rewarding than just a static track.

And yes, Macca = Mclaren to me :lol

DarkJC

So I installed the PS3 patch yesterday and did practice and qualifying in Monaco. Initial impressions so far are pretty good. The AI were obviously getting out of my way on their out laps. I haven't done a real race yet so I'm unsure how the changes to the fuel system will affect me. I've been playing with fuel sim on the whole time, so I'll be interested to see if there's much of a difference in the race.

In terms of Force Feedback, I think it's been improved. I play on a G25 and while it's definitely more subtle feedback, I was correcting more spins in Monaco yesterday than I ever had before on all the previous tracks in the season combined (pre-patch).

Shaneus

Well, my brother installed the patch on his (near-identical to mine) PC (with the exception that he has 2x 5970s... fucker :lol) and now he can't load the game at all... tries to load then crashes back to Windows.

I've given him my backup from Steam of the game itself, see how he goes. Told him I patched up fine, he was pretty shitty with me :lol

PS. If running a Radeon card, update to the latest drivers... there's an improvement there, too. Did the MLAA thing as well, but performance took a greater hit than I imagined (on a 5830) and it did kind of look like arse... like some of those Super Sai filters used on emulators.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've uninstalled/installed 360 pad drivers, Stop It, but it would appear that isn't the issue...

I added a post to that but I'm not optimistic!
:( I hope you get that sorted, especially for Saturday.

In other news, Acrid finally makes good on his pledge to "mount the Virgin":

Acrid.jpg

deim0s

My 2nd season in career mode, and first with Toro Rosso. I qualified first (yay!) then race begins... I get absolutly hammered! Anyone have a good setup for the car?

acm2000

Xbox 360 Patch Update:

• "Pit-in" OSD indicator now appears after the player is advised to pit to repair car damage

• A number of shadowing improvements have been added

• Amended the time trial penalty system so that only players cutting the final corner on certain tracks will have their subsequent lap times invalidated

• Balanced the effects of the drying line created by cars when in a wet race

• Balancing improvements have been made to AI drivers to prevent unexpected race results

• Corrected an issue AI cars would not attempt to move out of the player's way when under a blue flag on an in / out lap during practice and qualifying session

• Corrected an issue where ABS would become enabled when selecting to "drive out" out of the pit lane in a race weekend

• Corrected an issue where AI cars would fail to respond appropriately when cars were either side of them in a corner

• Corrected an issue where AI cars would not be required to pit in a mandatory pit race after the use of a flashback

• Corrected an issue where AI times were being reported incorrectly on the first lap

• Corrected an issue where AI were being disqualified during wet races in Montreal

• Corrected an issue where car driving style was defaulting to "Wet" in network sessions

• Corrected an issue where damage to AI cars was being inconsistently applied

• Corrected an issue where disqualified AI cars would cause network races to end prematurely

• Corrected an issue where disqualified drivers were displayed in the incorrect order in the online race results screen

• Corrected an issue where flashback would become disabled after resetting to track

• Corrected an issue where incorrect race positions were reported in a network race after terminal damage had occurred

• Corrected an issue where lap and split times would be displayed incorrectly after flashing back to before the start/finish line

• Corrected an issue where pit engineer would fail to remind you to pit on mandatory pit stop races

• Improvements have been made to the pitting process to prevent the player getting stuck.

• Corrected an issue where positions of AI cars in a network race would be incorrectly displayed after a player quit the session

• Corrected an issue where punctured tyres would be carried across to subsequent sessions in a race weekend

• Corrected an issue where race strategy would fail to update correctly after the player manually selected a different starting tyre choice

• Corrected an issue where research path choice was not being carried over to subsequent season

• Corrected an issue where save data is reported corrupted

• Corrected an issue where sessions in progress would appear on the server list after quitting a network session

• Corrected an issue where some AI cars using a single-stop strategy would not pit during a mandatory pit stop race

• Corrected an issue where the dynamic racing line would not display correctly if the grip conditions changed

• Corrected an issue where the incorrect car name could be displayed above cars in the Grand Prix menu after completing a Time Trial race

• Corrected an issue where the player is told to copy their team mate's car setup

• Corrected an issue where the player was able to pass through other cars after restarting a session

• Corrected an issue where yellow flags would continue to be displayed for cars that had been removed from the race in network sessions

• Corrected an issue where user would be penalised for overtaking pitted AI cars when under yellow flag

• Made penalties less likely to be awarded after spinning out on the track

• OSD now displays time gap between cars on the sector and lap split times

• Reduced the frequency of penalty warnings given for minor collisions

• Reduced the frequency of punctures received from standard tyre wear

• Sector times for the car on pole position is now shown in the split times on the OSD

• Tuned the grip properties of the tyre compounds in different weather conditions

• Corrected an issue where a Fanatec wheel would exhibit weak force feedback if the console was turned on using the wheel's Xbox button

• Progress data for some of the achievements will no longer be lost when exiting a race in-between sessions and re-launching the title

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1-D_FTW said:
I've noticed some corner caching. I'll guess I'll just try making the replay file read-only again.

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the whole replay sharing? It looks no different at all. And it definitely isn't showing any place where you can save or export these things that I can see.

EDIT: So no hiccups with the replay read only.

Did you had to do the mklink thingie as well? Did you have it from before, or it is not longer needed and you can just check read only on the file properties?

Stop It

Orgun said:
Excellent post as always Leunam :) Really looking forward to this weekend!
Indeed, as always Leunam comes up with an excellent contribution to society.

Tomorrow will be fun. I hope everyone can make it.

Remember, because of the clocks already going back in the UK timing of the race may be different for some people. The timing is as follows:

5PM GMT
1PM EST
10AM PST
I'm not sure where Crumb is exactly but the time in Melbourne Australia is 4am.

Hope to see you all there.

AcridMeat

Banned
Doesn't look like a post was made here. The event was scheduled by Foli on the steam group for 5pm GMT.

Can anyone from the UK confirm you've had your daylight savings already? Curious because they listed 10am Pacific and I know the US changes their clocks a couple weeks after the UK.

It would also be nice to know how many can make it for Saturday. :lol

edit: Damn you Stop It.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
Doesn't look like a post was made here. The event was scheduled by Foli on the steam group for 5pm GMT.

Can anyone from the UK confirm you've had your daylight savings already? Curious because they listed 10am Pacific and I know the US changes their clocks a couple weeks after the UK.

It would also be nice to know how many can make it for Saturday. :lol

edit: Damn you Stop It.
Good morning Acrid!

Yeah, we had the timing discussion last night because of the DST issues etc. The timings are (hopefully) correct for this weekend due to the UK already being in GMT.

Lucius86

Banned
Still no Internet and no luck hacking into a neighbours WEP because I don't have a wireless adapter that can inset packets. Not looking promising.

Glad to see you got mounted Stop It. I approve.

EDIT: Just got an email from my housemate - we are having Internet in 24 hours apparently. So maybe I can race after all....

Top Bottom