• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Shaneus

Dash Kappei said:
Yep, although with other Codemasters' games (like Dirt 2) you'd need to change the degrees of rotation to something more apt, like 720 (I find Dirt 2 to be unplayable with the whole 900° honestly, but if you can more power to you!). For non-Codemasters games, changing the ° in the game-specific profile will suffice since it'll override that of Global Options.
NFS: Shift has very good FFB.
Dirt 2 is pretty awful, but it gets more than a tad better if you mess up with the in-game settings.
Yeah, I was REALLY disappointed after I went from F1 to another Codies game. Really surprising.

I'm tempted to buy Shift just on the basis of having awesome sounds and wheel support but I don't need another fucking game :lol

Leunam

usXN8.png

QtNSJ.png

HoBsR.png

mmy8k.png

AxUEN.png

lTOoR.png

Leunam: Crumbs, your third straight victory, and a decisive one at that. How do you feel?
Salacious Crumb: It feels pretty great, this victory over all the others feels extra special, the last two victories I had a bit of luck thrown my way, but this race I feel we won straight up, without anyone elses help.
Leunam: Could you elaborate on this race? Track seemed to suit you well.
Salacious Crumb: The team did an amazing job finding the perfect setup for this track, the team worked extremely hard to get all the upgrades in place and they all worked as intended. As for the race itself well I started out on the back foot a bit, there was a fumble in the pits during qualifying, and then old used tires were refitted on my car which I subsequently set my fastest time on. So I had to start the race on tires that were 20% worn which had a knock on effect on me needing to pit 3 laps earlier than planned which left...not much of a margin on primes. Luckily though the car held up and we were able to comfortably take victory.
Leunam: Any good battles with other drivers? Lucius86 had to start from the pits but unfortunately never made it out so your title rival wasn't able to compete.
Salacious Crumb: No it was a pretty basic race from where I was sitting, apart from a few close encounters with some back markers it was a very lonely session today.
Leunam: You've closed the gap between yourself and Lucius, how do you think you'll fare at Spa?
Salacious Crumb: Spa is a bit of an unknown for all of us I think, no really knows how fast the other drivers are on that track, it should be a very interesting one to watch.

0040062001287954296.gif

Leunam: Acrid, second place at the hungaroring, your performance seems to be improving rather quickly. How do you feel?
AcridMeat: It was a great result for the team, our pit strategy worked to get in front of the McLaren, though I wish his tires didn't blow out as it would have been a challenge to keep the position. Once that happened I was on my own for the remainder, the Red Bull was unbeatable.
Leunam: Aside from your pit strategy, what else do you think contributed to your great result?
AcridMeat: The Nyquil PM I slipped everyone else? In reality, I had a little more experience on the track while practicing with Williams. It happens to be one of my favorites.
Leunam: Your result is very indicative of that. What do you like most about the track?
AcridMeat: Like Brazil, the turns flow together and allows the driver to get into a rhythm. I have a little bias as well because that's where my family immigrated from. Beautiful beautiful women.
Leunam: OK, Spa is the next venue. Any thoughts on that track?
AcridMeat: It's iconic and a hell of a circuit. Emphasis on hell, the first corner and turn...6 I believe are two of the trickiest corners I've encountered. We haven't had much time to develop so hope for the best. Hopefully it rains to shake things up. The little time we have spent in development has gone into hacking the Red Bull's radio. Hopefully my Australian is convincing enough for it to work.

SKS9p.gif

Leunam: Never too late for your first podium of the season. Congratulations! How do you feel?
At this point, Orgun rose to his feet with tears streaming down his face and says to his pit crew:
Orgun: I LOVE YOU GUYS!
Orgun: Yeah I feel pretty good, it was a fantastic race.
Leunam: Any interesting battles on your way up the grid?
Orgun: Loads, it was an action packed race for me. I had to fight my way up from 9th after getting shunted off the first corner, possibly due to my over cautious braking. And then spent most of the race chasing after Virgin. We had a good back and forth around the 20-25th laps but my tires were in better condition and I was able to pass after he had a late braking incident on the first corner. Wait that's not right, the Virgin did not pass me until I pitted on the 22nd lap...and THEN we had our back and forth. Sorry, my emotions and adrenaline are running high right now so my memory is little fuzzy.
Leunam: Do you see yourself on the podium more often next season now that you're settled into your team?
Orgun: I would like to think so, yes. I have finally gotten comfortable in the car and the tracks so I expect my performance and finishing positions to improve.
Leunam: Spa is our next venue, what are your thoughts on the track?
Orgun: Spa is my favourite track of the season and possibly my favourite track in the world. I cannot wait for the next race day to arrive. There are some excellent places for me to shunt my rival off the track, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU FLORA!

Orgun

Excellent post and interviews as always Leunam! :)

Salacious Crumb: No it was a pretty basic race from where I was sitting, apart from a few close encounters with some back markers it was a very lonely session today.

Hah, is that referring to when I thought it was Tyler on my arse so I kept performing blocking manoeuvres and then I finally got the chance to look back and found out it was you...lapping me in THIRD! You driving monster :lol

Looking forward to Spa, hopefully we don't have as many crashes/disconnects as Hungary.

I'm still annoyed my connection died and I ended up with no points. Orgun should feel very lucky!

Spa should be a good race - I'm just hoping we have a full grid. It's quite a big track and it can get quite lonely if there's nobody there to race you. We've had some great scraps this week with randomers so I encourage everyone in the league to join in, and for stand-ins who want a race to hop on to Steam just in case!

Lucius86

Banned
Okay, so I have managed to scrounge someone's Internet connection - YAY!

bad news - my desktop is too far away to get the wireless signal, and my laptop's signal is tempramental in the corner of my room to say the least, fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars. My room is the only room in the house with any signal from this dude's connection.

I'm going to try and do some Internet connection sharing between the two machines this morning - if all goes well, see you at 5 - but don't be shocked if I drop out half way through the race - I just want to get to the grid at this point. Not been able to practice all week, so I am bound to be off the pace.

I have not tried this Vodafone 3G AP as a connection for gaming yet, just web browsing - my housemates could use Skype with it, so maybe it CAN cope?

Lucius86

Banned
UPDATE: I have Internet on my desktop - now I can:

a) Test real-world gaming performance
b) PRACTICE AT LONG LAST

I'm not giving up the championship that easily Crumb :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
UPDATE: I have Internet on my desktop - now I can:

a) Test real-world gaming performance
b) PRACTICE AT LONG LAST

I'm not giving up the championship that easily Crumb :D
Yye.

Right, as FV said, I hope we get everyone here today. Spa is a very long track as it is, so it'll be a bit lonely with just 6 of us or so! I have had very little practice and I'm very slow, but hey, I'll be there.

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
Yye.

Right, as FV said, I hope we get everyone here today. Spa is a very long track as it is, so it'll be a bit lonely with just 6 of us or so! I have had very little practice and I'm very slow, but hey, I'll be there.

No one has been posting times, it's upsetting. I think even if you have had no practice, turn up people - most people haven't and it is always a laugh.

TylerD

Got some practice on Spa in last night. I was expecting Acrid to be on but he was a no show and stood me up :( My best was a 1'47''101 on options and low fuel.

Why the hell am I still up? :lol

GT5

AcridMeat

Banned
TylerD said:
Got some practice on Spa in last night. I was expecting Acrid to be on but he was a no show and stood me up :( My best was a 1'47''101 on options and low fuel.

Why the hell am I still up? :lol

GT5

:lol Sorry man, I was watching the Nevada - Boise game and then American Top Gear since I missed it. I didn't see you on steam at midnight or half passed, so I just went to bed.

Wow, that was an intense race. We only had 7 people but it was Spa in heavy rain for the entire 18 laps. Needless to say it was both chaotic and extremely close. It's a shame the race wasn't a bit longer in a way because by the end our wet tryes were shredding so we would've had to pit and there would have been drama there, for sure.

I think that was the best race we've had so far. So much competition and drama. The first three laps I was right up there with Lucius having a great back and forth battle. It's a shame I ultimately couldn't match his pace as he found his rhythm.

I'm sad Monza is going to be the last race. :(

We were talking during the race and we think it should be 100% length and full damage. Do the regulars in the league have any objection to this? We thought it would be a great way to end the first GAF league! Just because it would really shake things up - people would lose concentration and crash, or even a random puncture would fuck up Lucius' race and put him back in the middle of the pack etc.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Wow, that was an intense race. We only had 7 people but it was Spa in heavy rain for the entire 18 laps. Needless to say it was both chaotic and extremely close. It's a shame the race wasn't a bit longer in a way because by the end our wet tryes were shredding so we would've had to pit and there would have been drama there, for sure.

I think that was the best race we've had so far. So much competition and drama. The first three laps I was right up there with Lucius having a great back and forth battle. It's a shame I ultimately couldn't match his pace as he found his rhythm.

I'm sad Monza is going to be the last race. :(

We were talking during the race and we think it should be 100% length and full damage. Do the regulars in the league have any objection to this? We thought it would be a great way to end the first GAF league! Just because it would really shake things up - people would lose concentration and crash, or even a random puncture would fuck up Lucius' race and put him back in the middle of the pack etc.

Firstly, let me congratulate Lucius86 on becoming the first GAF champion, fully deserved (where were you Crumbs!) and well done to you.

Also, I would like to agree with this idea of making Monza a full length race. Let's go out with a proper bang! :D

I WAS going to congratulate him but then I thought Leunam might want to be the first to do it officially in his post.

Like the big headed twat needs it anyway. Hacks.exe etc.

Well done you fast fucker.

Leunam

Thank you sir.

Gotta say, Lucius winning (congrats by the way, completely deserved) makes creating a celebratory post much easier. Just need a picture of Mark Webber on a podium. :)

Right, I just recorded this video of a quick race online at Monza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LSABJ_vzyg

Nothing special, but take a look and see if you think watching race events from that perspective is interesting, please! I've recently got a new HDD which means that I can record the fuck out of this game and not run out of space. If you guys would be interested I could record the whole race at Monza on Saturday (or maybe select bits, since it would be like 90mins and gb after gb...) and then edit anything cool I witness in the race into a "highlight reel" sort of thing.

Obviously, this would be restricted to things that happen around me, which isn't ideal, but it could be a cool test and maybe for our next league other people can do a similar thing?

Could be a nice thing to compliment Leunam's posts and Lucius' lap videos, or could be a shit idea. Either way, lemme know :)

PS: For obvious reasons I compressed it down, so sorry 480p is the highest option!

AcridMeat

Banned
I think it's a great idea, maybe get bits of qualifying as well. If anyone else has the means to record it would be amazing to get different perspectives of the race.

Cool :) I think Orgun is going to try to do it too!

Montage #1 - Monza Practice

- First corner chaos and some "bumping"
- Stop It's overtake with bad results, and some car dodging.
- My mistake and a "questionable" contact with Stop It. Possibly avoidable.
- A devastating end to the race on the final lap.

These are just random moments from a 20% race we did, so I'm fairly sure that on Saturday I can capture some interesting things!

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Cool :) I think Orgun is going to try to do it too!

Montage #1 - Monza Practice

- First corner chaos and some "bumping"
- Stop It's overtake with bad results, and some car dodging.
- My mistake and a "questionable" contact with Stop It. Possibly avoidable.
- A devastating end to the race on the final lap.

These are just random moments from a 20% race we did, so I'm fairly sure that on Saturday I can capture some interesting things!
:lol

So crash one was all me, but 1:30...:lol

Saturday will be sooo epic with Damage and a full race distance. 1 mistake, one wing flying off or puncture will transform individual races.

AcridMeat

Banned
:lol Nice work, looked like an eventful race.

I decided I wanted to get the hell out of Valencia so just did qualifying. Where's your finger wagging now Vettel?!
gJFOLl.jpg

All I use is Windows Movie Maker.

It's no Final Cut Pro, but it's easy to splice things together and it compresses video really well. You don't need any more than that!

Glad you guys like it :) Hopefully Orgun and I will be able to combine any videos we make before it's posted!

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I wish I had the time to join you guys for a season. I've been playing it on the 360 and have been having a blast so far. Plan on getting it for the pc as well, once I get my Fanetec wheel back from repair.

AcridMeat

Banned
Crag Dweller said:
I wish I had the time to join you guys for a season. I've been playing it on the 360 and have been having a blast so far. Plan on getting it for the pc as well, once I get my Fanetec wheel back from repair.

Let us know when you get on PC, always happy to race with others.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So just to clarify, none of you guys who own the PC version have had any problems with the game CTD-ing or locking up since the patch? You guys running DX11?

Orgun

isamu said:
So just to clarify, none of you guys who own the PC version have had any problems with the game CTD-ing or locking up since the patch? You guys running DX11?

I run in DX11 and have never had a CTD that wasn't my fault, alt tabbing while the steam overlay is on is not recommended :lol

If you guys or any other lurkers are interested in becoming regulars in our races let us know! This weekend is the last race of our first league and since a few people have dropped out along the way we have spaces open for the next league that we do, whenever that will be.

It'd just be cool to get more people in our group for nightly races, though! :)

Orgun

Ok I have no idea what i'm doing in movie maker and i'm too lazy to learn, to the recycling bin!

edit: Nevermind, this is a piece of piss. :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Damn free wifi has gone again, but I should be around for Saturday as Virgin gets installed Thursday :D

Looking forward to seeing mroe race vids - I wish the video recording did not crash my system like before, had some great battles with FV last race and it would have been nice to have seen it from multiple perspectives.

What's your specs Lucius? Recording with FRAPS is pretty decent these days if you have a mid range PC.

I love how half of Orgun's video was my laughing fit at Stop It's misfortune, which was partially all of my fault. :D

I'm loving these videos to be honest.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
What's your specs Lucius? Recording with FRAPS is pretty decent these days if you have a mid range PC.

I love how half of Orgun's video was my laughing fit at Stop It's misfortune, which was partially all of my fault. :D

I'm loving these videos to be honest.

Its not fraps that's the problem - its loading up F1 2010 to record vids - it crashes the executable :(

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Hm, that's odd. I have no idea why FRAPS would crash your game.

It's not fraps you plum! It's the extra tag you put to the shortcut for the executable that crashes the game.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
It's not fraps you plum! It's the extra tag you put to the shortcut for the executable that crashes the game.

Remove the extra tag from the shortcut and use Fraps, problem solved! :lol

Lucius86

Banned
Frame rate drops are too high for general use - a one-off flying lap like I used to make for the hot lap vids really hurt the gameplay element, but I wasn't racing against others so it really didn't deter all too much. Frame rate went down to the 20's from 40-50's in offline - it would be even worse for me online.

You're still a plum though.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I thought you had a decent PC?

I think you're wanting to hide how you drive. A hacks.exe pop-up mid-race would ruin you!

Core i5 750
4Gb DDR3
HD 4870 512MB

I run the game @ 1680*1050, max details. Normal gamepplay I run 4xAA, FRAPS I turned AA off. It could be down to my secondary HDD performance though - it's an oldish 500Gb 7200RPM drive, no SSD alas.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Orgun said:
I run in DX11 and have never had a CTD that wasn't my fault, alt tabbing while the steam overlay is on is not recommended :lol

Whoah....I am very guilty of this. I don't really Alt+Tab, but I do browse the net using the built-in steam overlay very very often(waiting in-between races, during loading, etc).

Can I ask where you heard this was not recommended? Did they say whether having the Steam Overlay open frequently will increase the chances of the game CTD'ing?

Please let me know. This perhaps might be the crux of my problem(either this or I'll have to forcefully run it in DX9).

Orgun

isamu said:
Whoah....I am very guilty of this. I don't really Alt+Tab, but I do browse the net using the built-in steam overlay very very often(waiting in-between races, during loading, etc).

Can I ask where you heard this was not recommended? Did they say whether having the Steam Overlay open frequently will increase the chances of the game CTD'ing?

Please let me know. This perhaps might be the crux of my problem(either this or I'll have to forcefully run it in DX9).

Oh I've not really had any problems when using the steam browser to view webpages, it only causes problems when I have steam chat open in the overlay and then hit alt-tab.

I haven't heard it from anywhere, it's just from my experience of the game crashing every single time I alt tab with the overlay open :)

isamu

Orgun said:
Oh I've not really had any problems when using the steam browser to view webpages, it only causes problems when I have steam chat open in the overlay and then hit alt-tab.

I haven't heard it from anywhere, it's just from my experience of the game crashing every single time I alt tab with the overlay open :)

I see, thanks.

I have been reading a lot of threads at both Race Department and the official F1 2010 CM forums, and it appears a growing majority is having problems when running the game in DX11, the main issue being random CTD's. I wish CM would examine the problem a bit closer and release a forthcoming patch. The complaints on the F1 2010 forums are mounting by the day.

Top Bottom