• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Lucius86

Banned
isamu said:
I see, thanks.

I have been reading a lot of threads at both Race Department and the official F1 2010 CM forums, and it appears a growing majority is having problems when running the game in DX11, the main issue being random CTD's. I wish CM would examine the problem a bit closer and release a forthcoming patch. The complaints on the F1 2010 forums are mounting by the day.

Hate to say it, but didn't Codies say they will not be releasing any more patches for F1 2010?

Lucius86 said:
Core i5 750
4Gb DDR3
HD 4870 512MB

I run the game @ 1680*1050, max details. Normal gamepplay I run 4xAA, FRAPS I turned AA off. It could be down to my secondary HDD performance though - it's an oldish 500Gb 7200RPM drive, no SSD alas.
Well I have a better PC and thus get better performance than you (
plum
) but I set Fraps to record at half size and locked at 30fps. You should try that. I mean, 30fps is quite jarring for me too since I'm used to 60-80, but for this highlight thing to work I'm willing to play like that.

Be a soldier!

Edit: Actually, I might see if I can force a better framerate than 30 tonight. I never really tried. I think I probably could get more, potentially a lot more. Orgun doesn't have it locked so yar.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:
I see, thanks.

I have been reading a lot of threads at both Race Department and the official F1 2010 CM forums, and it appears a growing majority is having problems when running the game in DX11, the main issue being random CTD's. I wish CM would examine the problem a bit closer and release a forthcoming patch. The complaints on the F1 2010 forums are mounting by the day.

I've had this issue from day one (even though it wasn't officially supported). You could originally run DX 11 by setting DX9=false in the config file. This would prevent my loads from taking ages, but would cause frequent locks while loading that couldn't be recovered from.

Once they officially released the DX 11 patch, I thought it was corrected, but it wasn't. Steam overlay has nothing to do with it. It's just the most random POS ever. And because DX 11 is so vastly superior performance wise, I refuse to play on DX 9. I get 3 second loads instead of 30 with DX11 vs 9. My GPU actually gets used in DX 11 and is in the 90 percent utilization range with 11, versus low 50s in DX 9 (even though the fps is well below 60). Both modes lock my quad core at 56 percent utilization. Overclocking helps, but only because 56% of 3.2ghz > 56% of 2.66ghz. The game is a buggy mess and most assuredly the reason it inexplicably shipped without official DX 11 support.

I too surfed through the many, many threads on the official forums describing the locking problems while loading. Never once saw a solution. It's cool that a lot of people don't have it, but you're SOL if you do.

Orgun

1-D_FTW said:
I've had this issue from day one (even though it wasn't officially supported). You could originally run DX 11 by setting DX9=false in the config file. This would prevent my loads from taking ages, but would cause frequent locks while loading that couldn't be recovered from.

Once they officially released the DX 11 patch, I thought it was corrected, but it wasn't. Steam overlay has nothing to do with it. It's just the most random POS ever. And because DX 11 is so vastly superior performance wise, I refuse to play on DX 9. I get 3 second loads instead of 30 with DX11 vs 9. My GPU actually gets used in DX 11 and is in the 90 percent utilization range with 11, versus low 50s in DX 9 (even though the fps is well below 60). Both modes lock my quad core at 56 percent utilization. Overclocking helps, but only because 56% of 3.2ghz > 56% of 2.66ghz. The game is a buggy mess and most assuredly the reason it inexplicably shipped without official DX 11 support.

I too surfed through the many, many threads on the official forums describing the locking problems while loading. Never once saw a solution. It's cool that a lot of people don't have it, but you're SOL if you do.

I guess this DX11 CTD is pretty random, I've been running in DX11 since I was able to and haven't had a single crash (apart from the alt-tabbing stuff).

Does it work better on Nvidia vs. ATI or something? I'm using an Nvidia card and a Core I5 CPU.

1-D_FTW

Nvidia GTX 460 and Intel Q9400 cpu. There really doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can see. I think Stop It has the same exact combo and doesn't seem to have the issues. And it's not like I run any weird background programs. No anti-virus. I'm as vanilla as you get with extras. Drivers are up to date (think I've tried every Nvidia driver since the release of the 460). I saw one thread that hinted it may have something to do with Audigy cards, but I've tried every available audio mode and it doesn't work. And I'm not pulling the card.

deim0s

@Lucius86
Watching your Melbourn HL. I noticed you have a much usable cockpit view. Are you using a mod (linky as well)?

Started a new career with Lotus on legend AI, no aids except for auto transmission. I couldn't lap sub 1.30s. :(

Leunam

VQpqZ.png

QtNSJ.png

HoBsR.png

ocweG.png

Orgun

Really looking forward to this Saturday, where I secure my supremacy over Foli :lol

Although if I continue to take the chicanes like I do in this video I think i'll be DQ'd pretty quick.

You say that but I was the one hitting everybody and finding the walls :lol I never realised you were so close when you were trying to lap me - I was just trying to block you, not ram you off. :D

That Red Bull was mental.

It's going to be great to compare these videos where we cut corners and "defend" aggresively to the actual Monza race where we're all being good chaps and conceeding if we've lost a position, haha. Although obviously if it's between Orgun and I then it's for a championship position and it is indeed on like Donkey Kong.

You need to figure out how to record your voice in the videos too!

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
You say that but I was the one hitting everybody and finding the walls :lol I never realised you were so close when you were trying to lap me - I was just trying to block you, not ram you off. :D

That Red Bull was mental.

It's going to be great to compare these videos where we cut corners and "defend" aggresively to the actual Monza race where we're all being good chaps and conceeding if we've lost a position, haha. Although obviously if it's between Orgun and I then it's for a championship position and it is indeed on like Donkey Kong.

You need to figure out how to record your voice in the videos too!

It's really weird! If I turn on 'Record audio input' then it no longer records anyone else's voices. So I figured it would be better to just record what you guys say rather then my mumbling drone :lol

Lucius86

Banned
deim0s said:
@Lucius86
Watching your Melbourn HL. I noticed you have a much usable cockpit view. Are you using a mod (linky as well)?

Started a new career with Lotus on legend AI, no aids except for auto transmission. I couldn't lap sub 1.30s. :(

I don't use mods :D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1-D_FTW said:

Glad to know I'm not alone. Good post 1D.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey guys, I know we talked about wanting a longer race and full damage. I definitely agree, full damage will be on. However I was wondering how you guys would feel of maybe doing a 60%-70% race instead of the full 100%?

Lucius86

Banned
AcridMeat said:
Hey guys, I know we talked about wanting a longer race and full damage. I definitely agree, full damage will be on. However I was wondering how you guys would feel of maybe doing a 60%-70% race instead of the full 100%?

I would prefer 100%, but 60-70% would be good too.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
I would prefer 100%, but 60-70% would be good too.

Right I'm fine with 100% but I suggested it for the sake of having the most people racing. I would much rather have it at 50% with 12 people than 6 at 100%.

I just checked the length options and it goes from 50% to 75 to 100.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1-D_FTW said:

By the way are you playing the game audio settings set to Software mode or 3D Rapture? I heard this *MIGHT* help the random CTDs

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Orgun said:
Really looking forward to this Saturday, where I secure my supremacy over Foli :lol

Although if I continue to take the chicanes like I do in this video I think i'll be DQ'd pretty quick.
I love 2 minutes in, under no pressure at all I spin after the 2nd chicane, yey!

Foliorum Viridum said:
F1 highlights - 02/12/2010

And I'd prefer 100%, but as long as damage is on I'm not too bothered if it's 75% or whatever.
I wonder if potential players in this thread watch these and just thing "smh" :lol :lol

Anyway, I'd rather 100% to be honest, after all, the hardcore group will be here anyway, 50 or 100% and I can't see many others playing along. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:
By the way are you playing the game audio settings set to Software mode or 3D Rapture? I heard this *MIGHT* help the random CTDs

I forgot to mention that with my original post and answered it in my follow up post. I've tried both audio settings. Neither one solves the issue.

I found a rather lengthy thread where people were fairly convinced it had to do with the Creative X-Fi card. I don't have an X-Fi card. I have an Audigy 2 sound card. It's possible that's the issue, but I have some specific reasons why I want the card and refuse to go motherboard only by pulling it. It may or may not be the issue.

Remember guys, FINAL RACE today! Turn up, even if you haven't raced in a while. Full damage will be on and more than anything, we want things shook up a bit. Lucius has declared himself the overlord of the league so now we just want an exciting last race.

5pm GMT.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
Remember guys, FINAL RACE today! Turn up, even if you haven't raced in a while. Full damage will be on and more than anything, we want things shook up a bit. Lucius has declared himself the overlord of the league so now we just want an exciting last race.

5pm GMT.
Indeed, all is welcome. We want a full grid for this race, and it's certain to be epic.

Come on, let's make this season so out with a bang!

1-D_FTW

Thought about making a last minute change and racing the final race for nostalgia's sake, but it's just a little too early. Another hour and I probably would have made it.

Just want to say it was a ton of fun racing you guys. It's just my inability to improve, the game's horrible technical issues for me, and being right smack in the middle of the day (early morning/later afternoon/evening would have been much easier) just wore me down. I can handle two of those, but all 3 was too much.

You guys have rekindled my love of racing games, though. So thank you. Bought RFactor and have been playing some of that lately. The Ring, with real feal plug-in, borders on a religious experience (I'd imagine that's what it feels like). So amazing. If I ever make it to Europe, driving the ring is on my bucket list.

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
Championship done. Wow, what an awesome ride it has been.

Props to Acrid for his maiden win :D
Indeed, I am sad that the championship is over, it has been a remarkable championship and has made F1 2010 so much more fun that it could have been.

Anyway, congratulations to Acrid for his first win at Monza, and congratulations again to Lucius for the championship win.

Next time...

AcridMeat

Banned
Really fun race today, this entire championship overall has been fantastic.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and it has been one of my favorite gaming experiences. Also hit 100 hours after our race. :lol

Cheers to everyone who participated and hopefully we'll see more of you in this thread participate in whatever the future holds.

Also a huge thank you to Leunam for all of the updates and previews. Made our plucky league have authenticity.

Click here to view the video highlights of our Monza race. Please let me know if you like the captions! If not I won't do it again.

Overall, a fantastic end to the season. I was slightly bummed that my great qualifying and thus position was lost so abruptly, but they were both legit racing incidents and I don't blame Stop It or Lucius at all for knocking me about on the first corner. :lol I was disappointed I didn't get my first podium as it looked likely at a point, but this showed me I do have what it takes to compete with the big boys on a slightly higher level, so I want to improve on that in the future.

I, too, loved this league. Other than Counter-Strike clan games I've never done anything like this and it certainly made my last 9 weekends extremely fun. I genuinely consider a lot of you guys good friends, and that's probably the best thing to come of it!

All of us agreed that after new year we should do another "hardcore" league where all of the races are 100% and with full damage on. So, you have a month or so to get practicing if you've not been involved with us yet as there will be a few open seats for those who feel they can be dedicated enough. :) I personally can't wait for it.

Big congrats to Staab and Acrid for stepping it up today, and obviously Lucius and Leunam for dominating the league and keeping it in order, respectively.

AcridMeat

Banned
Nice video, definitely some hairy bits to your race (Lucius you cheeky fucker).

The captions were good better than a general description IMO.

Lucius86

Banned
AcridMeat said:
Nice video, definitely some hairy bits to your race (Lucius you cheeky fucker).

The captions were good better than a general description IMO.

It was not like that on my screen! I must admit I look like a total douche there...

As for cutting the corner, well I knew I wasn't going to make it so I went through the chicane slower than usual, hence just the warning. If you are not going to make the corner, why risk losing 5-10 secs but instead lose 1 second.

Man, I want to go buy a HDD NOW so i can do full recordings too. Great stuff.

I think it was pretty disgusting you were so vindictive and ruthless against the rookie who had finally managed to get up the front of the grid. Definitely some malacious moves demonstrated in the race, even if we ignore the corner cutting (read: cheating).

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think it was pretty disgusting you were so vindictive and ruthless against the rookie who had finally managed to get up the front of the grid. Definitely some malacious moves demonstrated in the race, even if we ignore the corner cutting (read: cheating).

Start messing around with the big boys and you will be treated as such. No fannying around at the front!

isamu

I just wanna confirm that switching back to DirectX 9 appears to have eliminated my CTDs. Doesn't look much different from DX11 so at least that's cool.

I seriously hope CM takes their time and treats 2011 with better care next time. No reason to have this many issues.

Just bought this game. Hope it will arive soon.
I wasn't sure what game to buy.. GT5, NFS:HP or F1 2010.
In the end i decided i wanted this game... hope i made the right choice.

Lucius86

Banned
Always-honest said:

The game is an awful lot of fun - yes there are issues, but to drive the thing is exciting, incredibly fast and very rewarding. Going back to Forza and GT5 makes everything feel so slow.

slamskank

Always-honest said:
Having put in a decent amount of hours into f1 and gt5, i think you made the right choice. GT5 is more a jack of all trades, master of none. Codemasters put a lot of work into presentation, the driving model feels great and the sound/visuals are the best in a racing game to date far as I'm concerned. I'm gonna spread my time between both over my holiday break, but I'm less and less interested in GT5 because of its many shortcomings. While it's nice to have all those cars and different motorsports in one game, a lot of things just aren't up to par with what I've come to expect if you pay attention to details like I tend to. Makes me wonder how crazy it would be if Codemasters consolidated Grid, Dirt and F1 into one huge game. Would be absolute madness, game of the forever.

NFS is really a different genre, can't really comment, haven't played it and it's not my bag.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I'd like to be part of your next championship. I doubt I'll have my fanetec wheel back by then, but I have a Driving force GT as a backup. My steam name is kindbudmaster if you guys want to send me an invite to your group. BTW, what driving assists, if any, do you allow?

Leunam

No driving assists except for automatic pit speed limiter.

The next season will start after the new year. I don't see us changing the schedule (9 races) but we may slap one more track on and spread the races to one every two weeks. Feel free to join us then but jump on to the Steam group also, since we have several people who play regularly.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Leunam said:
No driving assists except for automatic pit speed limiter.

The next season will start after the new year. I don't see us changing the schedule (9 races) but we may slap one more track on and spread the races to one every two weeks. Feel free to join us then but jump on to the Steam group also, since we have several people who play regularly.

Thats cool. All I would of used is the corner braking line because I don't know the tracks very well, but some extra track time will fix that.

AcridMeat

Banned
Glad to see we already have interest in our next one. :D

Also going off of what Lucius was saying, F1 2010 has made me a terrible driver in other racing games. I recently went back to Forza 3 over the weekend and I just couldn't drive the car. Everything seemed to have a lag to it and I couldn't keep my car from drifting. It says a lot about how well CM captured the sense of speed and feel of the cars.

Don't be too concerned about learning the tracks, once you get into the competitive nature of the championship, at least for me, you'll be wanting to practice.

Lucius86 said:
The game is an awful lot of fun - yes there are issues, but to drive the thing is exciting, incredibly fast and very rewarding. Going back to Forza and GT5 makes everything feel so slow.
exactly. i just want to drive a sim, but FAST.. I'm not gona drive a fucking Kia picanto for hours. I don't want that. f1 2010 looks good, sounds good and seems to do the important parts right.

slamskank said:
Having put in a decent amount of hours into f1 and gt5, i think you made the right choice. GT5 is more a jack of all trades, master of none. Codemasters put a lot of work into presentation, the driving model feels great and the sound/visuals are the best in a racing game to date far as I'm concerned. I'm gonna spread my time between both over my holiday break, but I'm less and less interested in GT5 because of its many shortcomings. While it's nice to have all those cars and different motorsports in one game, a lot of things just aren't up to par with what I've come to expect if you pay attention to details like I tend to. Makes me wonder how crazy it would be if Codemasters consolidated Grid, Dirt and F1 into one huge game. Would be absolute madness, game of the forever.

NFS is really a different genre, can't really comment, haven't played it and it's not my bag.
i rather see them focus on seperate games to be honest.

edit: Do you all play with wheels or also with a dual shock?

Top Bottom