• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

I play with 360 pad too. :D

I'm glad that someone is already showing interest in our next league! I think we have about 5 empty slots so far? I don't know what we'll do if more than 12 people are interested again. If we had to qualify for it and I didn't get in I'd kill myself!

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I didn't know this game was GFWL also. My gamertag is Crag Dweller if anyone wants to add me. Just finished downloading the game off of Steam and ran a few laps with the 360 pad. Game runs and looks great at 1080p on high settings for me. I had already started a career on the 360, but I'll send that back to gamefly and start again with this version once I get my old wheel out later this week.

AcridMeat

Banned
Crag Dweller said:
I didn't know this game was GFWL also. My gamertag is Crag Dweller if anyone wants to add me. Just finished downloading the game off of Steam and ran a few laps with the 360 pad. Game runs and looks great at 1080p on high settings for me. I had already started a career on the 360, but I'll send that back to gamefly and start again with this version once I get my old wheel out later this week.

I added you on live but it's best to add me on Steam (AcridMeat) as well if you want to organize a race.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I play with 360 pad too. :D

I'm glad that someone is already showing interest in our next league! I think we have about 5 empty slots so far? I don't know what we'll do if more than 12 people are interested again. If we had to qualify for it and I didn't get in I'd kill myself!
Okay, thanx. I'm going to play it with a controller, but i think i can borrow a wheel for a couple of days to see what that is like. Game should be here tomorrow.

Leunam

Acrid and I were discussing this yesterday: Who is Staab? I need to do an interview with him but he's never posted in this thread. At least not under that username.

AcridMeat

Banned
Leunam said:
Acrid and I were discussing this yesterday: Who is Staab? I need to do an interview with him but he's never posted in this thread. At least not under that username.

1. I sent you an interview with him.
2. Apparently he doesn't have privileges yet. Forgot about that. :lol

Do you have everythin on max, Orgun? Because your mirrors show a HIDEOUS side of the game. :lol Even if I liked cockpit view, I wouldn't use it because that breaks the immersion completely for me.

Really good video though :) You and Leunam seemed to have a magnet! I was surprised by how utterly, utterly terrible you did. If you can shake whatever hits you on race day next year and be more consistent, you'll be at the top of the table. You should be there with your talent now!

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Do you have everythin on max, Orgun? Because your mirrors show a HIDEOUS side of the game. :lol Even if I liked cockpit view, I wouldn't use it because that breaks the immersion completely for me.

Really good video though :) You and Leunam seemed to have a magnet! I was surprised by how utterly, utterly terrible you did. If you can shake whatever hits you on race day next year and be more consistent, you'll be at the top of the table. You should be there with your talent now!

Yup, everything is as high as it will go. The mirrors are just shite. To be honest I don't think i''ve looked at the mirrors in the 112 hours that i've played, I just use the mini-map to see if other cars are around.

I think the thing that threw me off on the day was not having any practice laps at all before the event started. I usually need 10 laps to warm up but I barely made it back home in time :lol I only managed to set one lap in Quali and that was in the 1:30s!

edit: An example of how I don't use the mirrors - I only JUST noticed that my right mirror gets smashed off after my big collision with Leunam. Did not notice that in the race OR the hour+ of footage I went through to cut it down to 8 minutes. :lol

Leunam

Thanks Acrid.

Great job with the videos you two. I honestly forgot about that early contact with Orgun. No worries, homie.

AcridMeat

Banned
Dang Mr. Leunam has a life, that's why he wasn't at the mid-pack. He has a third of the amount of hours played compared to any of us. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Orgun said:
Ok, I FINALLY got around to adding captions to what's left of my 125GB recording of Saturdays race :lol I didn't even record the whole race in the end, woops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetlHyh_SZ0

That was fun :)
I have to say I figured you guys were all pro-drivers snobs or something... but maybe I could race as well and have some fun, I mean I don't think I can do worse than you here :lol
I know I know, that was almost the first time you were driving there, so it doesn't really count :)
Also, it must be uber difficult to drive with a framerate so low and everyone laggin sooo bad... was that your connection's fault, the others', or just the game's awful netcode?
And about the framerate, was it just the way you encoded the video or is that really how you play it? If it's the latter, wouldn't you prefer to have it more fluid but maybe having some details missing? That's how I do it, 1080p no AA. audience on low, reflections, and trees on High and everything else at very high. You won't even notice the difference, but it'll be way more fluid. Of course lowering the shadows details would make a big impact on performances as well. Just my two cents!

AcridMeat

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
I have to say I figured you guys were all pro-drivers snobs or something... but maybe I could race as well and have some fun, I mean I don't think I can do worse than you here :lol
I know I know, that was almost the first time you were driving there, so it doesn't really count :)
Also, it must be uber difficult to drive with a framerate so low and everyone laggin sooo bad... was that your connection's fault, the others', or just the game's awful netcode?
And about the framerate, was it just the way you encoded the video or is that really how you play it? If it's the latter, wouldn't you prefer to have it more fluid but maybe having some details missing? That's how I do it, 1080p no AA. audience on low, reflections, and trees on High and everything else at very high. You won't even notice the difference, but it'll be way more fluid. Of course lowering the shadows details would make a big impact on performances as well. Just my two cents!

If you're on PC please join us!

As for the lag situation, our championship is full of people from UK, Europe, US and one from Australia so we've had to cope with the lag. No matter who hosts someone is going to have trouble with other cars ghosting/popping around. No one has an unplayable game on their screen though, which is what's most important.

Leunam

GUw4D.png

QtNSJ.png

HoBsR.png

6872W.png

AxUEN.png

0040062001287954296.gif

Leunam: Acrid, your first win of your Formula 1 career, how do you feel?
AcridMeat: I'M DRUUUUUUUUUNK
AcridMeat: WEEEEEEEEEE
AcridMeat: Flavio knows how to throw a party
Leunam: we had a longer race than normal, do you think long races are more rewarding for the drivers at the end?
AcridMeat: I think it's fantastic. It's rewarding and accompanied with full damage, it completely changes the race dynamic.
Leunam: How long did you maintain your lead? at least from my perspective, you held on to first for the majority of the race and seemed to pit without losing your position.
AcridMeat: Yes, looking back at the footage I think it was the 2nd lap when we took over because of damage to the Lotus' car. Fortunately for us luck was on our side and I had a great first stint. It started to rain early on, around lap 13 or so and I knew I wanted to stay out as long as possible so I could go out on intermediates. Right at the end of my stint, at lap 19 it was wet enough where the inters were the right choice. From then on it was about staying consistent and putting in good laps. The weather stopped to the end of the race and Lotus was ~10 seconds behind so I knew I didn't want to pit until they did. I came in for options the lap after they did and it didn't cost us much time and we were able to hold until the checkered flag.
Leunam: You'll be going into the next season with a victory under your belt, do you think you'll produce more of the same result now that you've gotten a full rookie year behind you?
AcridMeat: It's tough to say. I benefited from the weather and unscheduled pitstops for the other teams. It's definitely encouraging though and I'll continue to try my best to compete with those at the top.
Leunam: Acrid, congrats again and thanks for your time.
AcridMeat: Drinks are on Flavio tonight!

nbok1x.jpg

Lucius was celebrating his championship victory and was too inebriated to accept an interview.

STAAB

AcridMeat: where's my mustache
Staab: on your finger, drawn with black ink
AcridMeat: aha!
AcridMeat: Congratulations on your first podium of the season! It must feel good to end the year on a high note?
Staab: An unexpected result, but yeah it does feel good. The car felt absolutely amazing ! The team have done a great job and never stopped pushing the updates, a big thank you to them.
AcridMeat: It was a hard fought race, care to describe how it went from in the Mercedes?
Staab: Let's start with qualifying, I managed a decent lap on my first run on the options which placed us mid-field but unfortunately I ran into some traffic on my last lap and had to dive into the gravel to avoid another car. I lost all temperature in the tires and sadly I couldn't improve on the remaining hot lap.
Staab: As far as the race goes, Monza is a very engine dependant circuit with lots of fast corners it suits our car well. We decided to alter the set up a bit at the end of Q3 since there was a 50% chance of rain on sunday, I think that made a huge difference.
Staab: I managed to squeeze into 3rd place after the first chicane, mostly due to a good start and some contact between Lucius and Stopit. From then on it was a matter of trying to keep up with Acrid and wait for the rain.
Staab: It played out quite well as the rain hit about 25 laps in and as other cars started to struggle, we managed to stay out long enough to make a switch to full wet tires. The first couple of laps I was driving carefully as to not damage them since the track wasn't soaked yet.
AcridMeat: The rain did stop towards the end, how did that effect your strategy?
AcridMeat: and tire wear
Staab: Right after our first pit stop we had a puncture due to some debris on the track, which meant I had to come in for another set of fresh tires. This meant that compared to our competitors I had much more grip in the later stages of the race, even when the track dried out . That gave me the advantage of beign able to stay out and once we had a sufficient gap to Foliorium, who was struggling on inters, we went for another 10lap run on the options. Everything went smoothly this time and we were able to cruise into 3rd.
AcridMeat: You've been plagued by poor luck with penalties this season, the team and yourself must be relieved that their hard work has paid off
Staab: We had a couple of unfortunate failures mid-season, especially with 2engine failures in a row and our gearbox problems earlier in the season at Monaco. Apart from that, our competitors were just too strong for us to compete for the top spot, we had to play catch up from the get go and even though we gave it our all until the last race, we had already decided to switch our efforts onto next season's car. We're strongly positionned in the midfield right now and hopefully with a lot of work being done back at the factory in Geneva, we'll be able to challenge for the top next year !
AcridMeat: We're looking forward to what you have in store next season. By the way I heard the Renault team has invited everyone on the grid for a night out in Italy. Let's hope they don't end up in prison again. Thanks for your time.
Staab: Good ole' Flavio bringing it to the Clubs !

Dash Kappei said:
Ok, this was awesome. Good driving, tension... a real fuckin race.
And very funny captions :D

And I agree - join us! We have good competitive races, but we also have a lot of fun. Nobody takes it too seriously as you can see from that video where I was taken off twice! :lol

FYI - I usually get 60-80fps with everything on max, including forced AF, but I limit my framerate to 30 when recording just so it's consistent. I still think I could limit it to something higher, but I didn't want to risk ruining my race because of it then.

Edit: Great work as always Leunam!

Leunam

Thanks Foli.

This isn't the last post of the season, by the way. I've got one more lined up which should be up by the end of the week. Sort of a goodbye 2010 season post. Stay tuned.

I look forward to it :) It's a shame we only captured the last race, a highlight video showing the best bits of the league would've been awesome.

Rest assured I will be recording every race we do next year :D

Leunam

Please do. And great job with the annotations. If you do a video for each race, I'll include it in the preview post for the following race.

AcridMeat

Banned
A bit early to talk about something that won't start until next year, but I've been throwing around ideas for Season 2 of our championship.

1. How do people feel about switching teams? For those who participated in this last one, we would have to pick a new team to race for.
2. Switching up our calendar. We could keep the 9/10 race calendar but insert tracks like Catalunya, Malaysia, etc. to keep things fresh.
3. Scheduling our calendar beforehand. Rather than voting on the courses after each race we should vote on an order before we start so we can prepare accordingly.

Orgun

Dash Kappei said:

Snobs? Lol, most of the time it's constant "That's what she said" jokes :lol
Join us, one of us, one of us, one of us.

Oh and keep in mind that that 8 minute video is just a highlight real of the "fuck-ups" from a race that was over an hour long :) And I didn't have any practice on the day, curse my brother and his new car! /excuses

I don't understand you point about framerate? The game runs silky smooth for me, even with FRAPS recording it only drops to 30-40.

The only dude I remember lagging was Acrid but then that's because he's in the states and the host was in the UK...and he still won!

AcridMeat said:
A bit early to talk about something that won't start until next year, but I've been throwing around ideas for Season 2 of our championship.

1. How do people feel about switching teams? For those who participated in this last one, we would have to pick a new team to race for.
2. Switching up our calendar. We could keep the 9/10 race calendar but insert tracks like Catalunya, Malaysia, etc. to keep things fresh.
3. Scheduling our calendar beforehand. Rather than voting on the courses after each race we should vote on an order before we start so we can prepare accordingly.

1 - YES! I never got a choice of my car because I came into the season late! :)
2 - You point at a race and i'll race it...EXCEPT MARINA BAY! FUCK MARINA BAY!
3 - Good idea

HeliosT10

Hi all,

So Lucius86 was the winner of the inaugural GAF F1 2010 championship then? Just I remember promising to send a prize out to the winner :)

Lucius86, if you see this message drop me a PM with some details and I'll sort you out.

Leunam

Aww shit, that makes it official.

If it makes any difference, Lucius clinched the title in the second to last race. :)

Orgun

Helios_CM said:
Hi all,

So Lucius86 was the winner of the inaugural GAF F1 2010 championship then? Just I remember promising to send a prize out to the winner :)

Lucius86, if you see this message drop me a PM with some details and I'll sort you out.

Awesome, grats again Lucius.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Helios_CM said:
Hi all,

Good on you! :)

I vote that you send something Leunam's way too, while Lucius may have won the championship, Leunams efforts made it so much better than I ever expected.

Anyway, I hope after the new year that we're able to get Season 2 under way, this time with feeling!

Leunam

I appreciate the sentiment, but I wasn't the only one that helped organize the league. In fact, this league wasn't even my idea.

Lucius86

Banned
Helios_CM said:
Hi all,

Why hello there!! WOOP WOOP!

Sorry I not been about, no Internet whatsoever now as the free wifi has gone. On a 3G dongle again. :-/

So has anyone thought about a specific date in the new year for Championship 2?

Late Jan/early Feb I think was being thrown around.

Orgun, Stop It and I think that those who turned up for the last Monza race should definitely have seats in the next league, and if numbers exceed 12 it's the new guys that should qualify for spots. Acrid is against this, I know, so I think we need to figure out what we're doing. Personally, I really want to race with you guys, so the idea of qualifying potentially throwing a spanner in the works is a bit worrying. We've all shown we're committed to the league and I think we "earned" the seats.

So yeah, thoughts?

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Late Jan/early Feb I think was being thrown around.

Orgun, Stop It and I think that those who turned up for the last Monza race should definitely have seats in the next league, and if numbers exceed 12 it's the new guys that should qualify for spots. Acrid is against this, I know, so I think we need to figure out what we're doing. Personally, I really want to race with you guys, so the idea of qualifying potentially throwing a spanner in the works is a bit worrying. We've all shown we're committed to the league and I think we "earned" the seats.

So yeah, thoughts?

Hmmm....it's a tough one. It is true we have all shown the dedication. But we need to encourage newer people to join up as we typically only had 7-10 people for the end of the season. I would be bummed if some of my favourites people did not qualify.

BUT....

New people need a chance. I think overall I agree with Acrid - but us regulars SHOULD be faster than newcomers - but the newcomers must at least say they will be dedicated to the season as a whole - not drop out after 4-5 races.

Arghh, its a toughy! We definitely need to have a post specifying the rules before the season starts - I am happy to compile this together as I will be offline for a little bit and put it out there for people to know before the next season.

EDIT: Oh, and perhaps we can lighten the load off Leunam this season too!!

AcridMeat

Banned
At this point I'm fine with whatever. I just don't want to come off as a racing snob.

Honestly I don't think we'll get to the point where we'll have over 12 committed to a 100% race length season, so no worries.

edit: Lucius stated my points for not holding seats for us. We should be the fastest ones already anyway.

We should but look at Orgun at Monza. He might've well been going backwards with the rubbish qualifying session he had. :D

But I agree, having more than 12 commit to a 9 race season of 90 minute races, with the randomness of damage, does seem unlikely. It'll determine the men from the boys.

AcridMeat

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
I really dig racing games, loved dirt 2 and forza 3 a lot. I am debating snagging this game, is it pretty much the absolute shit or what?

It has a fantastic driving model. You won't get a better sense of speed out of a serious racing game. Pick it up, play on PC with us. We'll make Always Sunny jokes.

AcridMeat said:
It has a fantastic driving model. You won't get a better sense of speed out of a serious racing game. Pick it up, play on PC with us. We'll make Always Sunny jokes.
Haha that would be a lot of damn fun :lol, I have a 360 controller too soo should be able to compete with you racing wheel guys, is it pretty much 40 everywhere? Are their any deals on this game currently?

AcridMeat

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
Haha that would be a lot of damn fun :lol, I have a 360 controller too soo should be able to compete with you racing wheel guys, is it pretty much 40 everywhere? Are their any deals on this game currently?

I know it was on sale on Steam over Black Friday as well as other retailers. It could go on sale again during the holiday one. I mean the trend I've seen over the last year or two is that if a game is on sale on Steam it has a good chance to go on sale again.

AcridMeat said:
I know it was on sale on Steam over Black Friday as well as other retailers. It could go on sale again during the holiday one. I mean the trend I've seen over the last year or two is that if a game is on sale on Steam it has a good chance to go on sale again.
Yea true, just might buy at 40 I mean I have a little extra cash anyways. Sucks I have been trying to trade my nvidia game download coupon of hawx 2 for a steam copy of f1 2010, but of course that game has ubisofts bs drm crap, so nobody even wants it :lol

AcridMeat

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
Yea true, just might buy at 40 I mean I have a little extra cash anyways. Sucks I have been trying to trade my nvidia game download coupon of hawx 2 for a steam copy of f1 2010, but of course that game has ubisofts bs drm crap, so nobody even wants it :lol

:lol Well if you do get dedicated to this championship like we have, you'll definitely get your moneys worth. Most of us are hovering around 100 hours played now, for me ~80% of that is practicing/playing online.

AcridMeat said:
:lol Well if you do get dedicated to this championship like we have, you'll definitely get your moneys worth. Most of us are hovering around 100 hours played now, for me ~80% of that is practicing/playing online.
badass, would be sweet to compete in some of the championships you guys do, well screw it buying on steam right now lol, will have all downloaded tomorrow, and gotta go pick up one of my 360 controllers, currently staying at the folks

Lucius86

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
badass, would be sweet to compete in some of the championships you guys do, well screw it buying on steam right now lol, will have all downloaded tomorrow, and gotta go pick up one of my 360 controllers, currently staying at the folks

Good man. A number of people in the champ use a controller, so don't feel like you are left out by not having a steering wheel.

If you love the game and feel like an upgrade though, get a driving force GT wheel made by Logitech - they are the nuts.

My work laptop now has Leunam's podium pic as it's wallpaper :lol

Top Bottom