• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Orgun

AcridMeat said:
Since Staab can't post in the thread here are his picks from the steam group comments.
Staab posted on December 12, 2010 @ 1:56pm

Car picks:
Red Bull,
Renault,
Torro Rosso.

Old Tracks:
Melbourne
Monaco
Montreal
Monza
SPA

New Tracks:
Catalunya
Singapore
Sepang
Valencia

You son of a bitch.

goddman, the number of restarts i do because of penalties :p.
Cutting corners and causing collisionsis in my DNA it seems.

I love how you get to know the track and take of seconds of your time.
Really great race sim that only has the parts i care about in a sim.

I chose this above GT5 and i'm glad i did.

So last night Acrid, Orgun, Stop It and myself were playing. The rules were switched off for a few races so we turned the tracks in to rallys, basically.

When I set up our last race I said I forgot to turn the rules back on and that we should have a gentlemans agreement not to cut the first corner. Of course, I was being a lying bastard and had the rules turned on to full, knowing too well they would cheat. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvI4wKEEi4

Yes, I'm a 12 year old. :)

Also, thanks Staab!

Right, we're close to having a finalised track list.

I need to hear from Leunam, TylerD, Crag Dweller and Nightman to be done.

If you guys see them online or whatever give 'em a nudge over to this thread :) I'll send PM to the two new guys now.

Also, the current count of people in:
Lucius, Acrid, Staab, Stop It, Orgun, Slamskank, Leunam, Salacious, Tyler, Crag Dweller, Nightman and Myself.

12 people! :D

Well I am not truely sure which tracks I want to pick quite yet, need to do some trial laps around each and get a feel for em, will let you guys know as soon as possible

AcridMeat

Banned
Always-honest said:
goddman, the number of restarts i do because of penalties :p.
Cutting corners and causing collisionsis in my DNA it seems.

I love how you get to know the track and take of seconds of your time.
Really great race sim that only has the parts i care about in a sim.

I chose this above GT5 and i'm glad i did.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. The rules when fully on are a bit of a hard ass, it warns for corner cutting in places it shouldn't, Melbourne is especially poor in this.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
My five picks from the 9 tracks are

Monza
Melbourne
Silverstone
Suzuka
Brazil

My other 4 picks are

Bahrain
Spain
Hockenheim
Korea

My 3 teams I would like are

Williams
Mercedes
Lotus

Leunam

Of the 9 we've done this past season:

Canada
Melbourne
Monza
Spa
Interlagos

Four new tracks:

Turkey
Singapore
Korea
Abu Dhabi

Preferred teams:

Sauber
Toro Rosso
Renault

AcridMeat

Banned
You know looking at these votes, can we just compromise and add 2 new tracks and subtract 1 old? Leaving us with a 10 race season, 2 of which are new? We really did race the best ones in season 1 and I'd rather 100% them then have to endure a Singapore or something. :lol

If this idea is accepted I would be fine with Turkey or Abu Dhabi.

I think it's important to have a good number of new tracks, even if they're not the best ones. I don't want to do the same old stuff again with one or two new ones, personally. Change is good and races can be great even on bad tracks. I want the challenge of mastering other tracks like I did last season, not simply going back to them to remember a new braking zone. I love going around in time trial and practice sessions, memorising the track and trying to get at my best for the race. It's an exciting element to the league.

Plus I've crunched the numbers for ten people so far and I'm not doing it again!

Edit: Dweller, you listed Montreal as a "new" track but we did it last season. I'm going to need another pick mate :)

GuessWho

I think i played with some of you guys today. Name was boodongkidonk and some of you had trouble pronouncing it lol. It was fun.

Lucius86

Banned
No - stick with the new tracks. Don't buckle from Acrid's pressure!! Just because you're pants at Singapore :D :D

Anyway, sorry I have not been about this week everyone - still no Internet (thanks Virgin and snow) AND work has been crazy busy for the rush up to the Christmas. Helios has asked for my address details so when I receive my champion's 'prize', I will be posting pics of me unwrapping it!!

AcridMeat said:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. The rules when fully on are a bit of a hard ass, it warns for corner cutting in places it shouldn't, Melbourne is especially poor in this.
well, that is the exact race that i got the most warnings, even invalidated laps for just touching a piece of grass. But i want to play it as real as possible. Great game. I'm at work, but i want to play it now :S

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
No - stick with the new tracks. Don't buckle from Acrid's pressure!! Just because you're pants at Singapore :D :D

Anyway, sorry I have not been about this week everyone - still no Internet (thanks Virgin and snow) AND work has been crazy busy for the rush up to the Christmas. Helios has asked for my address details so when I receive my champion's 'prize', I will be posting pics of me unwrapping it!!

Orgun and I will ram you so hard if we end up in Singapore...

As for the prize, maybe it's a lock of Webber's hair.

Lucius86

Banned
AcridMeat said:
Orgun and I will ram you so hard if we end up in Singapore...

As for the prize, maybe it's a lock of Webber's hair.

Mate, I'll be too far down the track for you to ever try to hit me!

In other news - I have been playing Ashes 2009 with my new housemates, also made by Codemasters, to honour our time down under and hopefully thrash the Aussies. Damn, the the graphics utter crap, but I find it somewhat addicting :lol

Lucius86 said:
You really think I listen to him at all? Come on, Lucius, you know it's polite to humour people who think they have importance.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
You really think I listen to him at all? Come on, Lucius, you know it's polite to humour people who think they have importance.

You really are a sarcastic git - I like :lol :lol :lol

Orgun

Rage.

So I decided to get my 2nd career mode going today, 50% race distance on Bahrain (25 laps) starting from 5th.

Rage.

The race goes well considering i'm in a Lotus, i'm in 4th on the last lap after having a drive through and an orange front wing for most of race.

Rage.

I run out of fuel. Did not know that could happen in a race, I finished 9th. I'm happy with the result, it was a long tough race and I was tired.

Rage.

The game crashes while loading the paddock. "oh well" I think to myself, i'll load it back up later and continue with the next race.

Later....Rage.

The paddock loads into an interview talking about my qualifying times.

RAAGE! ... disappointment. I shall have to redo 25 laps of BAHRAIN. I hate Bahrain, I was starting to like it but now I hate it again.

Oh well, 121 hours played and that's my first proper lockup crash.

edit: To get some relief I ended up replaying he race at only 10 laps, 3 flashbacks and amateur AI. Got 3 achievo's and 1st. Finally got he perfect pitstop chievo.

19Kilo

So I'm wondering how the 2011 version of the game is going to handle all of the rule changes? The return of KERS should be easy enough to implement (and hopefully it does get implemented into the game, especially since not every team will be using it). But what about movable rear wings? The rules are fairly complicated. To sum up the rules and the article:

During practice and qualifying, drivers can move the wing up or down as they choose at any time.

But during the race it's very different -

Firstly, it can only be used on a specific, designated straight chosen by Charlie Whiting.

Secondly, on that straight, it can only be employed in a specific zone - probably a few hundred meters into the straight to allow the cars time to build up speed and downforce. Then, as soon as the driver touches the brake pedal for the corner, the flap snaps shut and the rear wing provides downforce again.

Thirdly, drivers will not be allowed to move their wings in the first two laps of the race, nor during the two laps following a safety car period.

And the big one: "The fourth and arguably most intriguing rule about moving the wing in the race is that the car behind must be within one second of the car ahead in order to be allowed to activate the wing. The car's electronic control unit (ECU) will be sent timing information to govern when the driver is allowed to move his wing.
Crucially, the driver ahead is not allowed to move his rear wing to defend the overtaking move, unless he too is within one second of another car in front."

I guess Codies could choose to not implement it at all, but I'm hoping it does get implemented to be a gameplay element. I think the drivers will need some sort of indicator when a wing move is permitted - a light on the wheel or something. I imagine the real-life teams will do something similar.

Edit: And I'm thinking we're going to need dedicated buttons for both KERS and wings. The multi-step menu thing ain't gonna cut it. Also - the removal of the ban on team orders. What if during Career your team radios you and tells you to let your teammate pass? What if you refuse? I would love to see stuff like that implemented into the "Live the Life" aspect.

Leunam

They'll probably handle it like they handled the F-duct, it will activate automatically in situations where the driver would normally put up their hand in the side of the cockpit, like on long straights. So as long as the above criteria is fulfilled, the rear wing will automatically adjust.

bj00rn_

Banned
Bought the 360 version today, disappointed. The game itself seems fine, but I use the MS wireless wheel and there seems to be a lot of input lag for the throttle, brake and gear shift. Anyone else noticed this?

Edit: Despite some input lag and other issues, this is a great racing game! I enjoy it more than Forza 3 and GT5 combined - Didn't expect that lol

Mr. Nightman and TylerD are the only two who haven't voted for cars/tracks yet! I've sent out PMs but have yet to recieve responses.

Other than that, race tonight guys? I've had a couple with Orgun and Stop It lately but everyone else is feeling like strangers. Who'd be up for some? I'm doing absolutely nothing tonight so any time is fine by me.

moojito

bj00rn_ said:
Bought the 360 version today, disappointed. The game itself seems fine, but I use the MS wireless wheel and there seems to be a lot of input lag for the throttle, brake and gear shift. Anyone else noticed this?

Edit: Despite some input lag and other issues, this is a great racing game! I enjoy it more than Forza 3 and GT5 combined - Didn't expect that lol

Aye, you need to fiddle about with the settings with the ms wireless wheel. I expect you do with all wheels, right enough. I suspect removing the 5% dead zone will immediately have the effect you're after. There are similar options for the throttle and brakes as well.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Mr. Nightman and TylerD are the only two who haven't voted for cars/tracks yet! I've sent out PMs but have yet to recieve responses.

Other than that, race tonight guys? I've had a couple with Orgun and Stop It lately but everyone else is feeling like strangers. Who'd be up for some? I'm doing absolutely nothing tonight so any time is fine by me.
Doh i only just saw this ;( I ended up watching Mesrine: Killer Instinct instead

I'm about tomorrow if anyone wants a race

I've done a tally and have the results so far. It's up to you guys whether we wait for Tyler and Nightman, or just go ahead with the tracks we have now and they get the two spare cars. I personally want to get the ball rolling, but I don't want to be unfair to them. Perhaps a final deadline of a week from now?

19Kilo said:
So I'm wondering how the 2011 version of the game is going to handle all of the rule changes? The return of KERS should be easy enough to implement (and hopefully it does get implemented into the game, especially since not every team will be using it). But what about movable rear wings? The rules are fairly complicated. To sum up the rules and the article:

During practice and qualifying, drivers can move the wing up or down as they choose at any time.

But during the race it's very different -

Firstly, it can only be used on a specific, designated straight chosen by Charlie Whiting.

Secondly, on that straight, it can only be employed in a specific zone - probably a few hundred meters into the straight to allow the cars time to build up speed and downforce. Then, as soon as the driver touches the brake pedal for the corner, the flap snaps shut and the rear wing provides downforce again.

Thirdly, drivers will not be allowed to move their wings in the first two laps of the race, nor during the two laps following a safety car period.

And the big one: "The fourth and arguably most intriguing rule about moving the wing in the race is that the car behind must be within one second of the car ahead in order to be allowed to activate the wing. The car's electronic control unit (ECU) will be sent timing information to govern when the driver is allowed to move his wing.
Crucially, the driver ahead is not allowed to move his rear wing to defend the overtaking move, unless he too is within one second of another car in front."

I guess Codies could choose to not implement it at all, but I'm hoping it does get implemented to be a gameplay element. I think the drivers will need some sort of indicator when a wing move is permitted - a light on the wheel or something. I imagine the real-life teams will do something similar.

Edit: And I'm thinking we're going to need dedicated buttons for both KERS and wings. The multi-step menu thing ain't gonna cut it. Also - the removal of the ban on team orders. What if during Career your team radios you and tells you to let your teammate pass? What if you refuse? I would love to see stuff like that implemented into the "Live the Life" aspect.
First I have heard the details on the moving wing rule, tbh it sounds stupid but then so did kurs at first but I like it now, the moving wing thing should just be automaitic over a set speed like active aero, but then that breaks the entire point about it... but then these silly runes could ruin everything if used at the wrong time.

lol f1.

AcridMeat

Banned
Did we know when we were planning on starting Season 2? We really should get in contact with everyone interested outside of this thread as it's clear not many are checking it.

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
First I have heard the details on the moving wing rule, tbh it sounds stupid but then so did kurs at first but I like it now, the moving wing thing should just be automaitic over a set speed like active aero, but then that breaks the entire point about it... but then these silly runes could ruin everything if used at the wrong time.

lol f1.
My guess? They'll skip straight to 2012 :lol

AcridMeat said:
Did we know when we were planning on starting Season 2? We really should get in contact with everyone interested outside of this thread as it's clear not many are checking it.
I think we agreed that later this month/early Feb would be the best time? Which is why we really need to get these votes or just finalise the teams/cars so we can make a calendar and decide dates for races etc :)

Lucius86

Banned
FV, as tournament organiser set a date so we know for certain when race 1 is, along with the full calendar. People who have not voted by now - well tough shit :lol

I don't think I can set a date for the first race really. It needs to be agreed by the majority of the people in the league.

Like I said, a week from yesterday I will definitely put up the results if Tyler and Nightman haven't voted, but I think we need to discuss when the first race will be.

I'm free pretty much any Saturday at the normal time. Does everybody else feel the same way?

I'll throw out a rough starter, I guess, and we'll work from there... Saturday 22nd. How do people feel about that?

Also, how would you guys feel if when our schedule etc is finalised next week, I (or Leunam, if I gave him the info) created a league 2 thread in the community forum to have an entire dedicated thread for it? Just a thought.

Lucius86

Banned
League 2 thread sounds good to me, but I wonder about the numbers.

As for the 22nd, its a go from me. Normal time of 5pm UK time should be okay, but I would prefer 30 mins earlier.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
League 2 thread sounds good to me, but I wonder about the numbers.

As for the 22nd, its a go from me. Normal time of 5pm UK time should be okay, but I would prefer 30 mins earlier.
I'll be good for the 22nd also.

I've been missing the F1 with the GAF lot since the championship ended. Aside from occasional runs with FV and Orgun it has been a bit desolate on the racing front. Let's hope Season 2 can get going with a bang, just hopefully not myself into another tyre wall.

Orgun

Stop It said:
I'll be good for the 22nd also.

I've been missing the F1 with the GAF lot since the championship ended. Aside from occasional runs with FV and Orgun it has been a bit desolate on the racing front. Let's hope Season 2 can get going with a bang, just hopefully not myself into another tyre wall.

Don't think I have anything on the 22nd so i'm good for that too.

Still makes me laugh whenever I see that little message pop up, wish I had recorded your yell of terror as you realised what was happening :lol

Lucius is going to love having an Aussie on mic. He'll think it's Mark Webber and flirt (moreso than he does with me).

Right well that day is looking good then. I've made a Steam announcement to draw a few more people back to this thread.

Staab would appreciate it if the races could be an hour earlier this year due to the 100% length. That would make it 4pm here in the UK, so do your math accordingly for your timezone.

Does anyone have an issue with that? I'm fine with it.

AcridMeat

Banned
That would be 8am on a Saturday for me. I'll almost certainly be late getting around that time if we continuously schedule it that way but I'm fine with it for the first race.

Well I'd be okay with it being even earlier, but of course that starts to mean the American racers are getting up at around 7am to race. :lol Though I'm sure Crumbs who pulls a near all-nighter would appreciate an earlier start!

TylerD

Hey guys! Let me know if my vote can still count towards the track list. FV, I never received a PM from you.

Looking forward to season 2 of GAF F1.

Top Bottom