• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
So rather than have a serious practice session last night for Saturday, Lucius, Stop It, Staab, Orgun and myself thought we'd have some fun.

It was epic.

F1 Destruction Derby - The first of 2011! (1080p)

So much fun, and some of those crashes are insane. I particularly like the one at Monaco where those two cars just fly.

Enjoy!
Yey, ending with that frankly silly crash where you tried to take me out (after I decided to use him as a braking aid) on the last corner of the race.

Anyway, I think you have a target painted on Lucius' car, judging by the amount of screen time dedicated to crashing into him!

TylerD

I need to spend about 3 hrs working on resurrecting my skills tonight so I don't end up ruining people's race tomorrow. I haven't played F1 since Monza! D:

gragy10

Every time i go in this thread I'm tempted to buy a PC copy and get stuck in.
Then the £30 steam tag and the certain knowledge it'll be obsolete by September intervene.

You can probably find it for a good £5-10 cheaper retail if the price is a big issue.

I've played probably 5 or 6 hours this week alone with the group here, and that's been consistent since September. Yes, it will be obsolete in 7 months, but we will be playing for all of those remaining months.

So consider me the devil on your shoulder :) You'd be welcome to join our league as we have two open spaces, as well!

Fixed1979

Alright trip cancelled so I may be able to drive tomorrow. Unfortunately because I was planning on not being available I haven't bothered practicing Malaysia. I'll see if I can get up to speed...

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Race day guys! Woop woop.

Crumbs 1st, me 2nd, orgun 3rd are my predictions.

NsbNq.jpg

Good race in the beginning and end but the middle was quite boring. Hopefully Catalunya we aren't spread so far apart.

Stop It

AcridMeat said:
Trollface.jpg

Good race in the beginning and end but the middle was quite boring. Hopefully Catalunya we aren't spread so far apart.
I can see that image being used a lot.

Anyway, I also hope that Catalunya closes the pack up a bit, I was honestly shocked when I realised that I had lapped all the way up until yourself, especially as earlier in the race you had me pegged for pace.

That said, I have not been practicing at Catalunya at all in F1 2010, so I need to get cracking! I fully expect not to see 2nd again if Crumbs actually turns up next time and you drive to your abilities!

Fixed1979

Great video Foliorum. It makes me want to put in enough practice to stick it out with you guys for at least a dozen laps before dropping to the back when we race Spain.

Lucius86

Banned
Okay, my memory must be really bad of Spain, but after doing 15 laps of Catalunya on TT my opinion is....

IT'S AWESOME.

Seriously, I don't know why I thought it was pants, but you can attack this track so hard and get rewarded for it, but the gravel is there as a reminder to not fuck with it too much!

This is definitely my type of circuit. After only 15 laps I'm 67th in the world. No long, never-ending corners where you don't know what's the best line. I'm sure I can get another 3-4 tenths off time current time of 1:17:9XX. Something tells me this track will not be as boring as Malaysia, and then of course we got Monaco afterwards. There are two key points on the circuit where you can overtake - the two straights. Attacking anywhere else is foolish, but the shorter straight should give more opportunities as people are more likely to piss up the previous 3 corners leading to it, allowing you to gain momentum.

Fixed1979 said:
Great video Foliorum. It makes me want to put in enough practice to stick it out with you guys for at least a dozen laps before dropping to the back when we race Spain.
Thanks buddy! You've already improved a great deal. By the end of this season you'll probably match the pace of Orgun and I, if not be even faster.

The results post will go up as soon as Acrid comes online so I can interview him, FYI.

leaguenamencij.jpg

topbanner3ie5.jpg

qualifying3edv.jpg

1cn2e.jpg

2kuei.jpg

3tucj.jpg

41nd7.jpg

5un3j.jpg

6cnkm.jpg

7tn19.jpg

89n71.jpg

resultsbf2x.jpg

1lu89.jpg

2du3z.jpg

3vncm.jpg

4vu7h.jpg

5qugp.jpg

6puhy.jpg

7thxnna.jpg

8snot.jpg

interviewsoi85.jpg

33b05d5.jpg

FoliorumViridum: Two for two. The season is starting to shape up nicely for you. How do you feel about the win?
Lucius86: Very satisfied. I made very few mistakes in the hour and fourty minutes of racing, although the puncture from the debris did cause get me a little worried. But my consistency was there today and I could cruise for most of the race.
FoliorumViridum: There were rumours that over the team radio you were complaining of boredom halfway through the race. Is this true and how did it impact your race?
Lucius86: I must admit the race was quite spread out. It seemed like all the action was in the first 8 laps! Thankfully singing twinkle twinkle little star helped alleviate any boredom issues I had.
FoliorumViridum: Many critics would say you were lucky that the Australian weather prevented Salacious Crumbs from participating in this race, along with claims that Stop It is beginning to catch you up. How do you feel about these statements?
Lucius86: Those critics need to shut the hell up. I am the world champion, biatch! No, it was a real shame SC was not about today, as he definitely had the pace over me in the practice sessions leading up to the weekend. Stop It is improving nicely, and it is great to see. However, if I didn't have my puncture I would have still had a 40 second lead over him, so I know I still have the raw pace. Each track brings new challenges though, so I take each opponent and race as they come. To the critics out there - you make your own luck, and thankfully I was able to capitalise on mine today.
FoliorumViridum: Thanks for your time.

1zxlcue.jpg

FoliorumViridum: After a disappointing failure with your team's technology last race weekend, you're back on the podium. How does it feel?
Stop It: It's a fantastic feeling to get back on the podium after such a frustrating first race. Having a mechanical failiure while leading in Melbourne was heartbreaking, and while it was great to see the pace was there in the 2011 spec VR-02, reliability issues threatened to overshadow the developements made in the off season. So to actually get a result, and especially a podium is fantastic for myself and the team.
FoliorumViridum: It was a frantic first few laps which you managed to overcome, did you find the start of the race troublesome?
Stop It: The start of the race saw my worst nightmare come true, rain! While the grip wasn't as bad as I feared, it was hard to get around the track with a dry setup, and I struggled to keep pace with the leaders. The first lap especially saw me being frankly embarred by other drivers and it shows that I need to work on my wet driving technique. That said, I got by without too much incident and it left me in good enough stead to recover once the race stabilised.
FoliorumViridum: By the end of the race you were closing in on Lucius86. Do you feel confident that you can match his pace this season?
Stop It: I think while Lucius86 is clearly a faster driver than myself, especially on a single lap basis, there will be races where I will be able to at least challenge his dominance. He is a deserving champion and will be hard to beat no matter the track, but he isn't invincible and I hope to be there or thereabouts throughout the seasons and be reafy to capitalise on any issues he may have.
FoliorumViridum: We're all hoping you catch the fucker. Thanks for your time.

qyTIR.gif

FoliorumViridum: The first few laps were extremely close - what state of mind were you in and how do you feel it shaped your race?
AcridMeat: Seeing the rain before the race I knew we would at least be competitive for as long as it lasted. We catered to the rain by altering the set up, so I knew as soon as it stopped that would be the end of our chances. After the rain stopped and we switched to the primes for the rest of the race it was a matter of just finishing, which ended up being more difficult than expected.
FoliorumViridum: Throughout the race you found it difficult to be consistent and had a close battle with both Staab and Orgun. Do you feel you deserve the podium place?
AcridMeat: Not the race I put out there today. I managed to go from battling Stop It in 2nd to being in 5th for a while. The car wasn't set up for a competitive dry track. We're fortunate that Staab had similar struggles and Orgun can't go a race without a penalty.
FoliorumViridum: Are you going to change your practice techniques for future races? There were rumours that the team believe you weren't prepared for the race.
AcridMeat: Apparently it isn't wise to use the tips in Fabio's handbook in a literal sense. I'm not even sure where the goat came from. We'll definitely get some more work in this time.
FoliorumViridum: Thanks for your time.

highlightvideosacmh.jpg

NeoGAF F1 2010 - Malaysia brought to you by Fixed1979
"The first lap the the Malaysian GP."

NeoGAF F1 2010 - Malaysia brought to you by FoliorumViridum
"So this was a pretty slow race, but these first few laps? Intense as hell. I had to stop recording halfway through the race as my PC was running hot, but to be honest there was nothing interesting to record, so that doesn't matter.

This is quite sloppy driving, and I'm happy to admit I made quite a few questionable defending and attacking moves, however the cars were heavy and the rain was making it extremely hard to drive, so I think everybody was doing their best to both stay on the track and get a better position.

Apologies to Stop It and Lucius for locking up my brakes and taking them both off with me, as well as nearly going into Stop It as I avoided Acrid spinning.

Despite the sloppy nature of the driving, it was close and intense. Absolute definition of fun... I wish the rest of the race was as good!"

NeoGAF F1 2010 - Malaysia brought to you by Orgun
"Some clips from the NeoGAF F1 2010 Malaysia race."

currentdriverstandingsrccy.jpg

1tu4d.jpg

2wnkc.jpg

3kntb.jpg

4vnfk.jpg

59uhg.jpg

63n6p.jpg

78utp.jpg

8snx1.jpg

98ufk.jpg

currentconstructorsstameef.jpg

1d7hq.jpg

2x70n.jpg

3972a.jpg

4h7gy.jpg

5177l.jpg

6v7xg.jpg

7w73b.jpg

(Reminder: this is based on the time trial results pre-race, so get your stopwatch out!)

A special mention to Salacious Crumbs who was absent from this race. He was on Steam, so presumably he's safe, but with the recent events in Australia it's understandable he might not have felt like racing this weekend. All I can say is you let Lucius off easily, buddy!

-------
Well, there you are, folks. Race 2 done and dusted. I highly suggest you watch the YouTube videos as they are fantastic this week.

There's a lot of us with 18 points - it's on!

Stop It

Great post FV. 2 races in and there's already a group of us at 18 points, so it assures us of some tense races to come!

Lucius may be fast, but I'm not giving up just yet! Sepang was not a great track for me, as I didn't feel able to push, and the weather didn't help! Catalunya will see me get some consistency back into my racing, and Lucius will have to be on his game to make sure I stay behind him.

AcridMeat

Banned
Great work mate. You can see my overtake on Stop It for 1st on lap 3 in your video! :D

Orgun said:
Wow, great post Foli!

! You take that back motherf...actually that's a factually correct statement...bastard

Heh

Fixed1979

Lucius86 said:
Okay, my memory must be really bad of Spain, but after doing 15 laps of Catalunya on TT my opinion is....

IT'S AWESOME.

Seriously, I don't know why I thought it was pants, but you can attack this track so hard and get rewarded for it, but the gravel is there as a reminder to not fuck with it too much!

This is definitely my type of circuit. After only 15 laps I'm 67th in the world. No long, never-ending corners where you don't know what's the best line. I'm sure I can get another 3-4 tenths off time current time of 1:17:9XX. Something tells me this track will not be as boring as Malaysia, and then of course we got Monaco afterwards. There are two key points on the circuit where you can overtake - the two straights. Attacking anywhere else is foolish, but the shorter straight should give more opportunities as people are more likely to piss up the previous 3 corners leading to it, allowing you to gain momentum.

I didn't mind Malaysia as much as everyone else, although it did get a little lonesome at times.

Did a little practice session at Catalunya, lots of fun. Posted a 1:20:157 (with racing line on), I should be able to get that down into the low 1:19's over the next week or so but certainly not into the 1:17's.

Salacious Crumb

Foliorum Viridum said:
A special mention to Salacious Crumbs who was absent from this race. He was on Steam, so presumably he's safe, but with the recent events in Australia it's understandable he might not have felt like racing this weekend. All I can say is you let Lucius off easily, buddy!

Actually I was just moving house/cleaning my old house from Thursday to Saturday so I was too knackered to race. I did intend to race, and I did get up at 3am, but I couldn't hold my eyes open.

Sorry guys :(

Cheers guys.

I did a few laps of Spain last night and found it hard to find the right line/braking zone for a few corners. It'll take me a little while to get any good at it, I think.

Much better track that Malaysia, though!

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Cheers guys.

I did a few laps of Spain last night and found it hard to find the right line/braking zone for a few corners. It'll take me a little while to get any good at it, I think.

Much better track that Malaysia, though!

Definitely, gives a much better sense of speed going through some of the corners! Like Lucius I don't know why I thought the track was rubbish, must be because the only other time i've raced it was on my first playthrough of single player.

Fixed1979

Shit you guys are fast. I was hoping a 1:19 would get me mid pack but it appears as though it would still put me in the back of the pack. :( I can see I'll be spending some time sitting behind the wheel.

Orgun

Fixed1979 said:
Shit you guys are fast. I was hoping a 1:19 would get me mid pack but it appears as though it would still put me in the back of the pack. :( I can see I'll be spending some time sitting behind the wheel.

Don't worry mate, I think i'll be back there with you!

I really need to modify my setup some more

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
I installed a lot of new car skins last night but nobody has done the Force India yet. :(
Nobody as yet has done the new VR-02 either :(

Anyway, I think that I am thoroughly outclassed for Catalunya. I think I could push a tenth or two out of my time but Crumbs and Lucius are a class apart.

lolcats7mdv.jpg

Fixed1979

I'm hoping to put some time on the track this weekend, as I'll clearly be one of the slower cars again next week. Hopefully some (alot) more consistancy will make the race a bit more interesting (for me at leat).

Anyone interested in a fun practice TT or short race over the weekend?

Orgun

Fixed1979 said:
I'm hoping to put some time on the track this weekend, as I'll clearly be one of the slower cars again next week. Hopefully some (alot) more consistancy will make the race a bit more interesting (for me at leat).

I'll definitely be up for some practice on Sunday.

Stop It

Fixed1979 said:

I'll be about tonight & tomorrow, although I really need to be getting on with a project for work, heh.

Anyway, as you probably noticed in the last 2 races, consistency is key. if you can stay there or thereabouts while others are failing, you'll be in with a good shout. To be honest, you have nearly 4 months disadvantage to most of us, let alone an entire season of F1 GAF so the fact that you're improving so quickly is really good imo.

Fixed1979

Posted a 1:19:506 today (ghost and race line on), I can easily see where I'm loosing time unfortunately I don't know how easy it will be to make up some time in those areas.

Getting a bit better at being consistent but there's a few corners on this track where it seems no matter how slow I'm going if I cut the corner too much I'm going to spin.

AcridMeat

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
Posted a 1:19:506 today (ghost and race line on), I can easily see where I'm loosing time unfortunately I don't know how easy it will be to make up some time in those areas.

Getting a bit better at being consistent but there's a few corners on this track where it seems no matter how slow I'm going if I cut the corner too much I'm going to spin.

Trust me Fixed Catalunya is a bitch to learn, especially when you first get the game. I had the same problem when I got there in my career when the game was new. I even went into TT to try to learn it and had a ghost with a 1:20 time, so you're doing quite well.

Honestly it's just about putting time in as much as you can to crack the corners. If you're having trouble at the last chicane, just don't put any power down until you're out. Once you get a sense of where the entry/exit is you can start to work out a spot where some power can help even a little bit.

Fixed1979

TT is obviously a poor representation of how the car handles in our league races, is the closest we can get to how the car will handle a GP weekend event with all assist off (except for transmission)?

AcridMeat

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
TT is obviously a poor representation of how the car handles in our league races, is the closest we can get to how the car will handle a GP weekend event with all assist off (except for transmission)?

Generally yes if practicing alone. If you have qualifying as well you can simulate the fuel load we'll have to see how the car handles then as well by setting the amount of fuel to 30-50 laps.

Lucius86

Banned
The final chicane is one where you should attack in qualifying, but in race trim it's better to lose 2-3 tenths each time in the corner than to spin it and lose 5-10 seconds just once.

The key is to sweep into the chicane. Brake just before the shadow of the banner overhanging the track, get as far right of the track as possible and swing the car left. The narrower you approach it, the slower your corner and exit speed will be.

Because of the long straight, it's better to enter the corner slower and exit faster.

Whatever you do, do NOT attack the kerbs. Lightly clip them or you will spin, but aim to clip both to straighten the chicane as much as possible. In race give the kerbs more respect.

If you think you are going to hit the kerbs hard, it's better to dodge it entirely, hit the grass and get a warning.

Haha I would've, however it was a spur of the moment bet as we were leaving the garage for that race. It took a lot of skill and determination to avoid any contact there!

Also, I invited ye to our session tonight, Leunam. You said you wouldn't be a stranger! :)

Top Bottom