• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

I wouldn't call that easy!

I've been seriously eying up wheels tonight... after watching you and crumbs downshift and move around corners so smoothly I think I might be hitting the limits of what I can do on the controller with automatic gears. If I buy one it will be after our league and then I could put a lot of pracitce into it over the summer ready for 2011.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I wouldn't call that easy!

I've been seriously eying up wheels tonight... after watching you and crumbs downshift and move around corners so smoothly I think I might be hitting the limits of what I can do on the controller with automatic gears. If I buy one it will be after our league and then I could put a lot of pracitce into it over the summer ready for 2011.

Same Foli, imagine everyone with wheels come F1 2011 :O

I think we do pretty fucking good for controller players, but it will be interesting to see how (if at all) the races change if we both go on wheels. I imagine you and I might be consistently faster as a result.

mclaren777 said:
Another lighting mod...

http://www.virtualr.net/f1-2010-track-lighting-2-0-mod-released/

6SD8B.jpg
yes! Dx11 patch+ a mod that removes Codemaster's piss filter=happy gamer.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If we have another regular PC player in you, I would suggest thinking about joining in on our league! :)
Need about a week to drive some of these tracks with no racing line. I dont know F1 circuits ( apart from Monza and Silverstone) and I have too much pride as a gamer to go online driving the way I do now.

Monaco is our track next Saturday if you did want to practice :) We're a friendly bunch - one of the newest additions to our league only played the game for the first time the night before he raced with us, now he's going very fast already!

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Monaco is our track next Saturday if you did want to practice :) We're a friendly bunch - one of the newest additions to our league only played the game for the first time the night before he raced with us, now he's going very fast already!

I'm still mightily impressed by Fixed.

As FV has said, out next race is still 1.5 weeks away, so that's plenty of time to dust off the old cobwebs! We are a fun bunch all around the globe, we don't take things too seriously but we do race hard and have a laugh. It's worth it just for the banter alone.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I think we do pretty fucking good for controller players, but it will be interesting to see how (if at all) the races change if we both go on wheels. I imagine you and I might be consistently faster as a result.

Agreed.

Funny though, I actually played a bit of Race 07 (simbin) today with a friend of mine who has a wheel. We did a quali/race on monza and I easily beat him and the other randoms for pole and sped off for the race, until I needed to go and went out in glory.

@theignoramus Where are you located? Add me on steam+gfwl (AcridMeat) and we can do some practicing. I'm definitely not the quickest around Monaco but I'd be happy to help practice.

@Fixed Sorry we didn't get to practice too much tonight, definitely this weekend!

Lucius86 said:
I'm still mightily impressed by Fixed.
He's already matching our times from last year! That's crazy. I know he has the consistency problem, but we all had that at the start. If he's in our 2011 league he'll be right up there with us for sure.

I've been trying to beat my Monaco TT time but can't so far. I'm not home until Saturday so I'm going to see if a break gives me a new boost, but I doubt it. I think that's pretty much my limit.

Lucius86

Banned
I've improved mine by 0.15 seconds but I'm still 15th. However, the top 10 is now under 2 tenths away.

My aim is Top 10. Fuck yeah.

Lucius86

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Any word on when (if?) F1 2011 will be coming out?

I wouldn't expect it until August - September time. It is definitely happening though, as I remember reading they want to spend more time on the career mode to make it more engaging.

They also need to see what will happen to Bahrain :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
wow I haven't played F1 2010 in over a month now! I need to get back into it for some multiplayer action. Damn I'm gonna be HELLA rusty though!!! It's gonna have to wait 'til I'm done with Bert 2 though.

I (or someone else) will create a new thread when info is released, but for now:

This morning, Codies has told us that it’ll start confirming details for the 2011 version “prior” to the Australian Grand Prix on the weekend of March 24 in Melbourne.

“We’re locking everything into place right now and will drop the info bomb on FORMULA ONE in 2011 immediately prior to the season start in Melbourne, confirming the full format line up, release date and headline features,” the publisher told VG247 in an email.

“We’ll also be inviting players to ask the dev team anything, which may lead to being featured in future dev diary videos, and offering some the chance to get in-studio and have early hands-on during development.”

Edit: Also coming to PSP2 and 3DS, apparently, for the three people that would want to play it that way: http://community.codemasters.com/fo...f1-2011-released-ngp-3ds-xbox-360-ps3-pc.html

Bought this the other day for the 360 finally, great game so far and a really good feeling to everything, at first I found the cars super twitchy to handle but now they feel near perfect.

But one thing is really annoying me right now and that's race 6 I just finished, I am 99% certain that the CPU did not pit for tires and I ended up finishing nearly 1 minute behind from behind, it's the first race where I have come out of the pits 22nd and stayed there (I pitted while around 12th) and never gained those positions back.

I am so sure the CPU missed their pit stops... such annoying crap puts you right off the game :/

AcridMeat

Banned
Diablohead said:
Bought this the other day for the 360 finally, great game so far and a really good feeling to everything, at first I found the cars super twitchy to handle but now they feel near perfect.

But one thing is really annoying me right now and that's race 6 I just finished, I am 99% certain that the CPU did not pit for tires and I ended up finishing nearly 1 minute behind from behind, it's the first race where I have come out of the pits 22nd and stayed there (I pitted while around 12th) and never gained those positions back.

I am so sure the CPU missed their pit stops... such annoying crap puts you right off the game :/

Yeah, unfortunately though they released a patch that stated to fix those, it still happens. The advice I can give is to increase the length of the race. It's unfortunate when that stuff happens because it definitely takes the fun out of the experience.

AcridMeat said:
Yeah, unfortunately though they released a patch that stated to fix those, it still happens. The advice I can give is to increase the length of the race. It's unfortunate when that stuff happens because it definitely takes the fun out of the experience.
So far only once thankfully.

The more I play the game the more I enjoy what codemasters aimed for, the pit life stuff is really fun and adds a lot to the feeling, it's more then just racing F1 cars, it's impressing teams and not trying to be a dick doing it.

Only thing I dislike mostly is the lighting, some tracks look nice, rain lighting is spot on but most daytime stuff feels washed out and brown, too "dry" looking you could say. The pc mods I have seen pictures for are near spot on what it should have looked like.

My plan was to play the console version then sell it, buying the pc version in a sale over summer or whenever it drops to a nice price :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Boys, it's on:
Holy crap, welcome to the big boys table FV, glad you finally are ditching the pad!

Oh wait, this most likely means you'll find that extra second a lap I did after upgrading to the DFGT....Shite.

I'm going to be slower before I get quicker, since I've never done manual gears in this game.

I have two weeks to practice for Montreal, though, so we'll see. If I'm happy with my pace I'll use it for that race, if not I'll go back to joypad just so I don't lose a few points due to getting used to it.

I'm excited, though!

We've been having our heating done yesterday and today, and an electrician is due to pop over either this evening or tomorrow to finish it up.

... I have a horrible feeling he's going to turn up at 3:30 tomorrow :( If he does I'll actually cry.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
We've been having our heating done yesterday and today, and an electrician is due to pop over either these evening or tomorrow to finish it up.

... I have a horrible feeling he's going to turn up at 3:30 tomorrow :( If he does I'll actually cry.

Tell him to piss off.

Fixed1979

Unfortunately my playseat will sit empty for tomorrows race. I'm sure Monaco is going to be pretty interesting and a good bit of fun and while you're doing laps I'll be stuck on a plane...

Alright, time to embarrass myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1y5-qqCXMs

This was after probably a dozen laps on Melbourne. The first time, as Orgun witnessed, I spun on pretty much every corner. This is clearly a huge improvement, but it's going to be a long time before I hit the pace on a wheel that I have on a joypad.

My issue is nearly entirely down to gears. I've never played manual in a racing game ever before so it takes quite a lot of getting used to. In a weird way, even using a flappy paddle gearbox is weird, since after two years of driving I'm used to reaching to my left and shifting a stick. As a result of playing automatic, I have no idea what gear to be in where. Most of those corners could be 3rd, 4th or 5th, haha. It's definitely something I got more of a feel for as I did those few laps, so it will come to me, but it will take time. I need to basically re-learn every track, corner by corner, gear by gear...

I notice I'm staring a lot at the rev counter, which is why I'm wide on a lot of those corners. I need to stop doing that!

Feels good though. Really satisfying to turn in to a corner and have such feedback. It was a great game on joypad, but it really doesn't compare to a wheel. Whereas I would previously have to whack the stick all the way over to make a hairpin, how I can quite casually turn the wheel and it has the same effect now. It's a lot more fluid as well, as with a stick I'd constantly have to re-adjust, here I can glide around corners (well, some!)

So from here on out it's practice, practice, practice. I'll go through season mode with a wheel and make full use of those practice sessions before qualifying for sure!

I do believe I will do the rest of the league on a joypad, though. I'll focus mainly on learning with the wheel, but I am a very competitive pace at the moment which I realistically won't find over our next few races on a wheel. I want to stay up with Lucius, Crumbs (relatively) and Stop It and if I took a wheel into Montreal, Spa or Monza I'd probably wipe myself out after a few laps. It may seem a bit more boring now to go back to a joypad, but to keep me interested that's how it will have to be. I can look forward to our first league of F1 2011 being done on a wheel entirely, on the plus side. Not to many after our final race of this league I'll never plug in a joypad for it ever again.

After 170 hours it feels like a whole new game. Crazy, really. Hopefully by 350 hours I'll have mastered this thing!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Alright, time to embarrass myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1y5-qqCXMs

This was after probably a dozen laps on Melbourne. The first time, as Orgun witnessed, I spun on pretty much every corner. This is clearly a huge improvement, but it's going to be a long time before I hit the pace on a wheel that I have on a joypad.

My issue is nearly entirely down to gears. I've never played manual in a racing game ever before so it takes quite a lot of getting used to. In a weird way, even using a flappy paddle gearbox is weird, since after two years of driving I'm used to reaching to my left and shifting a stick. As a result of playing automatic, I have no idea what gear to be in where. Most of those corners could be 3rd, 4th or 5th, haha. It's definitely something I got more of a feel for as I did those few laps, so it will come to me, but it will take time. I need to basically re-learn every track, corner by corner, gear by gear...

I notice I'm staring a lot at the rev counter, which is why I'm wide on a lot of those corners. I need to stop doing that!

Feels good though. Really satisfying to turn in to a corner and have such feedback. It was a great game on joypad, but it really doesn't compare to a wheel. Whereas I would previously have to whack the stick all the way over to make a hairpin, how I can quite casually turn the wheel and it has the same effect now. It's a lot more fluid as well, as with a stick I'd constantly have to re-adjust, here I can glide around corners (well, some!)

So from here on out it's practice, practice, practice. I'll go through season mode with a wheel and make full use of those practice sessions before qualifying for sure!

I do believe I will do the rest of the league on a joypad, though. I'll focus mainly on learning with the wheel, but I am a very competitive pace at the moment which I realistically won't find over our next few races on a wheel. I want to stay up with Lucius, Crumbs (relatively) and Stop It and if I took a wheel into Montreal, Spa or Monza I'd probably wipe myself out after a few laps. It may seem a bit more boring now to go back to a joypad, but to keep me interested that's how it will have to be. I can look forward to our first league of F1 2011 being done on a wheel entirely, on the plus side. Not to many after our final race of this league I'll never plug in a joypad for it ever again.

After 170 hours it feels like a whole new game. Crazy, really. Hopefully by 350 hours I'll have mastered this thing!

You wuss! I bet you'll be using the wheel by the time we race in Montreal, while Monaco isn't a track that rewards a good wheel, the Canadian track most certainly is.

Anyway, I almost forgot to put a lap in, so here it is:
25FAF01CB2E6C61B185F1247A56DE9EA8F533024

Lucius, you're mental, plain and simple. I had a 1:11.9 that was disallowed by an inch, but couldn't replicate it. Still, 1:11.0 is insane. Today should be fun, I hope the teams have plenty of wings on standby.

Orgun

FUCK! I am really mad at my cousin now! It was her text that distracted me and put me in the wall :mad:

By the way, there is room in the NeoGAF PC league if anyone is interested. We take all skill levels :)

Leunam

Foli, Acrid, I saw your invitation the morning of the race, really sorry I didn't reply. I didn't wake up until a few hours later and by then I'm pretty sure the race was over. Hope you guys had fun.

Salacious Crumb

Sorry guys :( The new house I've moved into is further out from uni and work than where I was before and I have to get up at 5.45 to catch a bus into town. It's really hard to break my sleep cycle just for every second saturday, So I might miss out on the next couple of races, atleast until I get my license back at the end of April. Fuck busses.

Helios FINALLY responded (after 2 weeks, three threads, hundreds of posts and 1000s of views):

After investigation this Force India pitstop bug isn't something we can easily patch as we were not able to locate the root cause of the issue, however rest assured that we are taking measures to make sure this is resolved in our future F1 titles. This has resulted in a personnel reshuffle leading to the pits system being rewritten from scratch to be more intelligent, robust and extensible.

We know that we've said we're not going to reveal anything about F1 2011 until just before the Melbourne GP, but we felt it right to inform you of this change now so that we can make it known nothing is being overlooked or brushed aside.

Please continue to provide us with your constructive feedback regarding F1 2010, as you can see it is very valuable to us and helps us greatly in deciding what needs improving in F1 2011.

My response:

That wasn't too hard, was it?

That's all I wanted. The acknowledgment of the bug existing, the fact CM had looked into it and the reason for it not being patched yet.

Why did it take this long? It's encouraging that you have redesigned pitting to ensure something like this doesn't happen again, but with PR like this how can I be sure that another game crippling bug isn't present in 2011 and rather than fix it, CM will simply ignore it and fail to fix it? Please give us a reason to trust CM and buy 2011, rather than choose not to support CM.

This could have been said in my first thread and none of this would've had to happen. Don't you think that's a bit stupid? I hope you take a look at how you run this community, because I know you know me from NeoGAF and how passionate I/our league is about the game.

Seriously amazed with how badly they handled this.

I swear they only responded because I was contacting Kotaku/IGN/Gamespot about it and also tweeting and emailing Force India to see how they felt about the representation of their team in the game.

Top Bottom