• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Thanks - though I'm just copying what you did pretty much!

We're done for the night now, but next time we're playing and you're online I'll be bugging you, make no mistake!

Also, for the new page:

Foliorum Viridum said:
The bet:

Lucius said that I couldn't do the first corner of Monaco without crashing. I said I could, and if I did he'd buy me Bulletstorm. If I didn't, I'd buy it for him.

The result? ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEsKKIK30Y

Humiliation is part of the bet.

Leunam

Foliorum Viridum said:
Thanks - though I'm just copying what you did pretty much!

We're done for the night now, but next time we're playing and you're online I'll be bugging you, make no mistake!

Can't be during the week then, hell I'm still at work!

Lucius86

Banned
Any chance of an earlier start Saturday guys, i.e. 4pm GMT rather than 4.30pm? It would make my social life so much easier Saturday!

EDIT: I realised its 4pm all the time. Whoops.

Lucius86

Banned
vzk4f8.png

Mwahaha :D

Right, onwards to this weekend, lads:

leaguenamencij.jpg

topbanner1be2.jpg

spainlg85.png

currentdriverstandingsrccy.jpg

1tu4d.jpg

2wnkc.jpg

3kntb.jpg

4vnfk.jpg

59uhg.jpg

63n6p.jpg

78utp.jpg

8snx1.jpg

98ufk.jpg

currentconstructorsstameef.jpg

1d7hq.jpg

2x70n.jpg

3972a.jpg

4h7gy.jpg

5177l.jpg

6v7xg.jpg

7w73b.jpg

(Reminder: this is based on the time trial results pre-race, so get your last few laps of Catalunya in and shave off those seconds!)

The start time is 4pm GMT as always! I'm a loser and not going out tonight, so if anyone wants some practice races, I'm game.

Fixed1979

Looking forward to this weekends race. I'll be on tonight doing laps but I think everyone else will be in bed long before that. Hopefully some people are around pre-race to mess around a bit.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that was an interesting race (If your name isn't Lucius86)!

Punctures, steering wheel failures and Fraps based crashing, this race had it all, and that was just between me and Foliorum Viridum. Lucius of course won the event, with Salacious Crumbs a distant 2nd, after that I was 3rd despite a puncture and FV, also suffering a tyre failure late on was 4th.

It was an interesting race for myself, although something tells me that Monaco is going to be a lot tougher and that I wont see the podium there, we'll have to see though!

AcridMeat

Banned
Sorry I missed it, didn't have much of a chance though. Tiring week and I couldn't fall asleep last night so when I finally did I slept well through the alarm I set for 7:30am.

Not good to hear that we're getting more performance issues, with the game, fraps and newfound bugs.

I've been debating picking this up, it looks like great fun but i'm unsure of it's accessibility to a non-gearhead like myself.

How does this compare to Dirt/Grid in terms of handling difficulty? Can I have a good time without having to tweak any sliders?

AcridMeat

Banned
betweenthewheels said:
I've been debating picking this up, it looks like great fun but i'm unsure of it's accessibility to a non-gearhead like myself.

How does this compare to Dirt/Grid in terms of handling difficulty? Can I have a good time without having to tweak any sliders?

There are a lot of assist options with stability/traction/brakes and it has a racing line assist as well, though it doesn't always show the best line. In terms of setting up the car, there are quick set ups which are generally pretty good. There are a couple tracks where you will need to increase the last gear so that you don't max the engine on a straight.

The driving model is really rewarding, though there are still a fair amount of bugs. If you have no plans on playing online I'd say wait for a sale.

1-D_FTW

Fuck me. I hate computers some times.

So, ah, yeah. Finally figured out the reason I was constantly crashing in DX 11 but not 9.

During the Steam holiday sale I picked up Bad Company 2. The game would constantly crash. I isolated it down to Punkbuster. Punkbuster even states on their website they do some deep level stuff that can expose hardware issues. So even though my system memory would pass all memory tests (even did them during F1 trouble shooting), Punkbuster was doing something Memtest doesn't, and would regularly crash my computer.

My 4 sticks seem to be failing at different rates (huge failure rate on these sticks over at newegg), so I decided I'd just overvolt them like crazy and bring them back to life that way. Even brought the worst one back to life and made them stable.

Things were fine until I decided to play Dirt 2 yesterday. Previously, I'd always played it on DX 9 and not 11. Well DX 11 was crashing like crazy. So, I go and pull my two most defective sticks and reboot. Dirt 2 is stable as can be in DX 11. From what I can tell, so is F1 2010 (unless it's just teasing me again. But I don't think so.)

Ugghhhh. So much frustration could have been avoided. I wish the memory test programs would update with more strenuous programs. If punkbuster's crappy little program can expose these things, why can't memtest?

As a bonus, after playing rfactor all these months, I don't seem to spin out anymore in F1 2010. Ran about 10 laps on tracks I didn't know and was glued to the track.

Haha. Crumbs can spin you just by being near you. You motherfucker.

Great race today. In fact, I'd say it's probably the most enjoyable one I've ever had. The start was extremely close between Stop It, Crumbs and myself, and once Crumbs decided he wanted to find his pace and run away, it was a constant back and forth with Stop It for the remaining duration. The drama played out perfectly, too, as just as Stop It's pace got too much for me, he got a puncture and I was able to overtake him. Then as we were on the 60th lap I too was struck by a puncture which allowed him to take his position back and I was finally resigned to my place in 4th.

I'm quite gutted I missed that podium. That's been my target since Monza last year and I thought this was finally going to be it. I'm confident it can happen in two weeks at Monaco, because I have the pace there and I'm good at defending, but it was bittersweet when that tyre burst and Stop It went flying by. More than anything I wish we had those last 5 laps to race it out because there was 2 seconds between us and despite my slower pace, Stop It would've had to push it hard to overtake me on that track.

I'm going to edit my video now and it'll be uploaded by tomorrow. I'll aim to get the results post up sometime tomorrow too if I can get the interviews etc done.

TylerD

Make sure to include my highlight of being parked in the gravel for about 45 minutes.

My computer was struggling bad this morning. I might need to invest in a new card pretty soon. The game would be so much more fun if it didn't stutter when I make every sharp turn.

Orgun

I did not have a good race :( Complete and utter lack of grip, sliding on almost every corner on every lap until I switched to Options...and then my computer crashed.

Got so pissed off with my lack of grip and constant spinning that I just parked up next to Tyler and walked off to have a drink :D

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
My Catalunya Highlight video!

As you can see I had a very fun race!
Great video FV, it really is a shame that we didn't get to finish the race with an epic battle to the chequered flag, but hey, such is life.

I'm more than sure that you'll be up near the podium at Monaco anyway. I'm not exactly any good at the track and you've got pretty good (when you're not trying to destroy Lucius, me, or anyone near you) so don't get too despondent just yet.

Anyway, I hope Acrid manages to wake up for the 4th GP. There is quite the battle brewing for 2nd in the championship, and Monaco could be a good indication of where the tangle may end up (in a wall, with lots of swearing, probably).

Orgun

Woops, I just went to put together my skidding highlight video and there was nothing in the Fraps folder. I deleted it in my fit of rage after the race :p

Can't believe I watched all of that haha. If our Youtube channel gets banned we know who to blame!

Since Orgun rage deleted, I'm hoping Stop It and Fixed have some interesting videos :)

That was great. You had a lot of close moments that we didn't know about due to you not using your mic (namely Stop It and Orgun going right into you).

I really like watching you drive. It's kinda graceful compared to the rest of us, even Lucius.

(Also check your PMs!)

As it happens, I was uploading a Crumbs related Youtube video tonight too: Damn You Crumbs!

It was seriously annoying to be ahead of him at various points and then have him be so much quicker ultimately, haha.

Butttt I am quite glad I got my time down to 1:14.1xx after maybe a dozen laps. For reference, my best TT time from last year was 1:15.9xx, so that's another huge improvement. I hope that by the race weekend I'll be down to maybe 1:13.5xx, as some of those corners are slightly sloppy.

I still don't get the hate for Monaco. Doing that lap made me feel like a God. You're so close to the wall, the scenery is flying past you... feels so fucking good.

Sorry for the delay, had to wait for interview questions to be answered.

leaguenamencij.jpg

topbanner1be2.jpg

qualifying2ddo.jpg

017y37.jpg

02ib4g.jpg

031b9v.jpg

045951.jpg

05clcv.jpg

06u9vc.jpg

07nlfb.jpg

084z4r.jpg

results4fh6.jpg

01jbmt.jpg

02fz44.jpg

034xsj.jpg

04d91e.jpg

05wza9.jpg

06yywa.jpg

07wzsw.jpg

08dzdd.jpg

interviews0g91.jpg

33b05d5.jpg

FoliorumViridum: A largely uneventful race for you, but another 25 points regardless. How do you feel your quest for your second championship is shaping up?
Lucius86: Right now it's going brilliantly. 3 out of 3 is a dream start and lapping everyone was a great personal goal. But it was on the whole rather uneventful for me as you say. But thankfully the boredom did not lead to mistakes, so I am very happy with my performance today.
FoliorumViridum: Do you feel at this point that you're going to go largely unchallenged for the rest of the season?
Lucius86: It's too early to think about the championship as a whole. You must take each race one step at a time, and then hope the sum of the parts will end in the result you want. Today was an exception rather than the norm. I am sure future racers will be tighter, and I do hear a few contracts being distributed amongst other teams in a bid to punt me off....so who knows what will happen.
FoliorumViridum: The FIA is reportedly looking into claims that you falsely accused another racer of causing contact as you passed. This is a very serious allegation. With recent video footage showing this claim to be false, do you think that fans and opponents can trust you from now on?
Lucius86: I think it is clear from the video contact did in fact take place - but the camera lag from Australia showed a different story. My onboard footage clearly shows I received a nudge from behind. I hope the fans support me in future races to come like they have done in their billions so far - I couldn't do it without them. Their support so far has been empowering, and I hope it continues. As for my opponents, I think they need to concentrate more on their own racecraft rather than mine.

63m3D.gif

FoliorumViridum: After a difficult first few laps you managed to find your pace and get another podium. Did you find it difficult to get to grips with the track and how do you feel your race went overall?
Salacious Crumbs: Yeah, we were struggling to find grip on cold tyres with a full tank, The problem came up in practice and the team worked overtime to try and get it rectified for the race, and though the race setup was better it still wasn't 100%, and I did struggle a lot for the first 10 laps.
FoliorumViridum: Many critics have suggested that you are the only driver capable of taking the championship away from Lucius86. One third of the way through the season do you see that as a likely scenario now?
Salacious Crumbs: Lucius is a great driver, we all know that, but we've also seen that our team can put in some very quick times in time trial, we are struggling to convert those times to race wins however, partly because of my race craft, which needs some work, but mostly because of the extreme fatigue I experience during races. But if I can sort those things out, I'm confident I can take the championship this year.
FoliorumViridum: Finally, your team reportedly went to the FIA to complain about Lucius falsely accusing you of casuing contact as he lapped you. How do you feel about this mean spirited cheap shot?
Salacious Crumbs: It's clear that he's scared and has started resorting to dirty tactics to try and maintain his advantage, it's pathetic and he should be ashamed of himself. I just hope the stewards remain diligent and don't fall for any of his bull shit. *throws jug of orange stuff in lucius' face*

rawrk7fs.png

FoliorumViridum: After a close battle and various moments of bad luck, you managed to get another podium. How do you feel 24 hours later?
Stop It: Happy, yet at the same time disapointed that a potentially epic battle between myself and Foliorum Viridum was snatched away by tyre irregularities. Still, a great result for myself and the team.
FoliorumViridum: After two mechanical failures, which arguably ruined your chance to go for second place, do you still have faith in the car?
Stop It: Well the first may have been caused by the car not being set up properly as the throttle controls became momentarily disabled around 1/3 into the race. This will require some safeguards to be put in place to make sure the car is fully nailed together before the racing begins. However a random tyre failiure can never be the cars fault as we do not have any control over the tyre manufacturing process. Still, despite all of this the car made it to the end and while going for 2nd may have been possible without our problems, I still would have had to try to catch and pass Crumbs, which is no easy feat.
FoliorumViridum: Due to Acrid oversleeping with the hookers and blow, you're moving your way up the table. What are your goals for the rest of the season?
Stop It: My target for this season is to finish in the top 3. I would love to aim for 2nd, but that relies on Crumbs having a bad race or 2. I firmly believe that while Acrid has the ability to outpace me on tracks like Montreal, his inconsitency, and propensity to value his "dealing" over Formula 1 means that I am confident of displacing him to reach a podium position this season.

highlightvideosrezw.jpg

Catalunya Highlights brought to you by FoliorumViridum.

Catalunya Highlights brought to you by Lucius86.

Catalunya Highlights brought to you by Salacious Crumbs.

currentdriverstandingssfj7.jpg

014y04.jpg

02ga1t.jpg

030yxn.jpg

043ykb.jpg

05p9px.jpg

064lw1.jpg

07eyjz.jpg

08cacx.jpg

093b1z.jpg

currentconstructorstt3iec.jpg

01uitm.jpg

02khbo.jpg

03gh9g.jpg

04ocwx.jpg

052e8g.jpg

065cyt.jpg

07rg35.jpg

08gccr.jpg

currentconstructorsstaag0n.jpg

01auu8.jpg

02dujk.jpg

03wn96.jpg

04ynnt.jpg

05sucq.jpg

06ln7k.jpg

07ou82.jpg

08mnuc.jpg

Salacious Crumb

Foliorum Viridum said:
As it happens, I was uploading a Crumbs related Youtube video tonight too: Damn You Crumbs!

It was seriously annoying to be ahead of him at various points and then have him be so much quicker ultimately, haha.

That time was from awhile ago, here's one I set tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6aMasiiZg

It's five tenths faster than my old time, but it's also full of pretty big fuck ups(weird line through Massenet, completely fucked up the hairpin and Rascasse). The only thing good about it is how perfectly I cut the chicane, another millimeter to the right and that lap would've been invalidated.

Hopefully I'll get down to high or even mid elevens by race day.

Also fraps didn't record the sound for that vid (due to my own incompetence) so I slapped the most car related song I could find in my collection over the top of it.

Foliorum Viridum said:
*Usual high quality race recap*

Brilliant as always. I can see a wrestling style feud brewing between Lucius and I.

dk_ said:
So what version are you guys playing? PC only?

Yeah, PC only I'm afraid.

You're a machine. I got my time down to 1:13.7xx with some tips from Lucius, and I was half a second quicker on a lap until I invalidated it, so Lucius has given me the target of 1:12.xxx before next weekend, haha.

You two are just going to fly away, unless any incidents occur (which is likely let's be honest) so I'm aiming to destroy Stop It and Acrid who usually have good pace at Monaco too.

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
You're a machine. I got my time down to 1:13.7xx with some tips from Lucius, and I was half a second quicker on a lap until I invalidated it, so Lucius has given me the target of 1:12.xxx before next weekend, haha.

You two are just going to fly away, unless any incidents occur (which is likely let's be honest) so I'm aiming to destroy Stop It and Acrid who usually have good pace at Monaco too.

Sup.

5d3vx0.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
That's just insane.

I know I'm gooad that the game but you guys make me feel shit haha.

It doesn't beat Crumbs 12th in Kuala Lumpa, but I did make a minor mistake in one corner and lost 3 tenths. I can definitely get in the 1.10.9xx without the fuckup.

Salacious Crumb

Lucius86 said:
It doesn't beat Crumbs 12th in Kuala Lumpa, but I did make a minor mistake in one corner and lost 3 tenths. I can definitely get in the 1.10.9xx without the fuckup.

D: That is properly fucking ridiculous, I might have to try something other than the far right dry setup to even have a chance of getting anywhere near that.

AcridMeat

Banned
Salacious Crumb said:
D: That is properly fucking ridiculous, I might have to try something other than the far right dry setup to even have a chance of getting anywhere near that.

You kept prodding the beast Lucius, now it's going to take your head off.

Orgun

Salacious Crumb said:

Oh shit, the SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!

Put in 5 more laps in TT and got it down to 1.14

fake edit: Beaten by Acrid :)

Top Bottom