• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Yup. As you can see by that link I posted on the last page, it took dozens of people and my persistence to even get Codemasters to admit the bug exists.

You wouldn't think that was possible in 2011, would you?

While it's not a bug I hate how the cars turn in and out on pit stops, it's like the game just rotates the car without thought on how unrealistic it's looking, same for some of the AI cars turning in and out of the pits, it's close enough to teleporting.

pmj

Hello all, first time wheel user here requesting help.

I had wanted a wheel for a long time now, but it was only after arriving in Monaco in the F1 2010 career mode that I had had enough and decided to not come back to the game until I had a wheel. Now I'm back with a Fanatec GT2 and the experience has been pretty miserable. Except for the pedals. The pedals are goddamn amazing.

The first problem was that the wheel would turn hard to the right as you start driving. If I fight to turn the wheel left, as soon as it goes left of center it starts pulling left instead. I think the setting that fixed this was to change deadzone from 0 to 5 in the game options but it was a while ago now and it could have been something else. I did manage to turn this game-breaking behavior on and off several times in two separate sessions with the game.

That taken care of I started driving. I've spent hours on Monaco and I'm no faster and even less consistent than I was on a pad. But what's worse is that it feels weird. There's resistance when I turn. The wheel always wants to center itself and it does so as soon as I lift my hands from it. If it's turned more than little bit it centers itself in jerky increments.

The force feedback doesn't feel natural in all cases either. It pulls the wheel one way or another and I don't always know why. I turned it off.

Now, I haven't driven a real car in over a decade, and never a race car of any kind, so maybe I'm wrong and this is how it's supposed to be. Or maybe there's a problem with the game, or the wheel, or the settings on the wheel, or the settings in the game. I just don't know.

Help?

Orgun

pmj said:
Hello all, first time wheel user here requesting help.

I had wanted a wheel for a long time now, but it was only after arriving in Monaco in the F1 2010 career mode that I had had enough and decided to not come back to the game until I had a wheel. Now I'm back with a Fanatec GT2 and the experience has been pretty miserable. Except for the pedals. The pedals are goddamn amazing.

The first problem was that the wheel would turn hard to the right as you start driving. If I fight to turn the wheel left, as soon as it goes left of center it starts pulling left instead. I think the setting that fixed this was to change deadzone from 0 to 5 in the game options but it was a while ago now and it could have been something else. I did manage to turn this game-breaking behavior on and off several times in two separate sessions with the game.

That taken care of I started driving. I've spent hours on Monaco and I'm no faster and even less consistent than I was on a pad. But what's worse is that it feels weird. There's resistance when I turn. The wheel always wants to center itself and it does so as soon as I lift my hands from it. If it's turned more than little bit it centers itself in jerky increments.

The force feedback doesn't feel natural in all cases either. It pulls the wheel one way or another and I don't always know why. I turned it off.

Now, I haven't driven a real car in over a decade, and never a race car of any kind, so maybe I'm wrong and this is how it's supposed to be. Or maybe there's a problem with the game, or the wheel, or the settings on the wheel, or the settings in the game. I just don't know.

Help?

Oh wow, that sounds utterly bizarre. I've never used a Fanatec wheel and I think we all use Logitech Driving Force GT's.

Do the Fanatec wheels come with PC software like the Logitech wheels? If so i'd suggest changing the degrees of rotation to 260 and enable the centering spring but set that to 0.

Lucius86

Banned
I do remember reading that F1 2010 is not really set up well for wheels, apart from the Logitech Force GT. Some users were saying the force feedback is way too light on Fanatec equipment - obviously your situation is an entirely different beast.

Now I must admit I expect resistance when turning the wheel - with the right level of feedback, this should ensure you to be able to feel the grip levels in the car so you don't over-do it in a corner with too much steering lock. But it must feel natural, and I bet it is because of the fact you have a Fanatec wheel, as it seems that it may not be as well-optimised as it should be.

As for your raw speed in the game, you must bear in mind you have practiced with a controller for a little bit. There will always be an adjustment period to the new controller interface. After a few hours of racing you should start getting closer to your times with the wheel, and ideally exceed it after some more practice. The game is brilliant fun with a wheel though, so keep at it!! :)

I bought a wheel a week ago (Logitech GT) and although I didn't research it a lot since everyone else here had one of those and that was the obvious choice, I did read into it a bit and found that people had problems with nearly every other wheel on the market.

If you can, take it back and get a GT is my advice. After 170 hours of playing on a joypad, within 6 or 7 hours on the wheel I feel like I never need to go back to it. I'm not as fast or consistent yet, but I will be.

pmj

I'm playing it on 360 so I didn't really have a choice in what wheel to get, and I set it to 270 degrees the first thing I did. The problem isn't so much the strength of the force feedback (it is perfectly drivable) as what it's actually doing.

I dug up and put in Forza 3 and it's a day and night difference. The wheel doesn't work to center itself even when I stand still. There's a wider range of resistance felt in wheel and it's overall a lot smoother. It feels fantastic. Curiously though, the vibration in the brake pedal is absent in Forza 3, at least in the car I tried it out with. In F1 2010 you can feel it in the pedal when you're about to lock your brakes, which is really nice.

I'm going to scour the Internet for optimal settings for this wheel and this game and then try to get used to it. Much of my confusion probably has to do with me not being a driver of anything by bicycles in real life.

Most of all though, I'm going to take a DNF on Monaco and get on with some better tracks.

So I've just got to Singapore in my career and had a rather epic crash:

1idnd.jpg

21exf.jpg

pmj

So, fellow wheel users, when you stand still on the track and turn the wheel, is there firm resistance, similar to when you travel at high speed? And, again when you stand still, does the wheel (along with the wheels of the car) spin back to center position when you release it?

Is this how it's supposed to be in this game?

moojito

pmj said:
So, fellow wheel users, when you stand still on the track and turn the wheel, is there firm resistance, similar to when you travel at high speed? And, again when you stand still, does the wheel (along with the wheels of the car) spin back to center position when you release it?

Is this how it's supposed to be in this game?

I don't know how much time you spend not moving on the track, but I can confirm the game improves immeasurably if you press the pedal on the right while doing this wheel-moving test of yours.

pmj

moojito said:
I don't know how much time you spend not moving on the track, but I can confirm the game improves immeasurably if you press the pedal on the right while doing this wheel-moving test of yours.
The problem is that the wheels are trying to center themselves with the same force in any situation. When standing still, or when taking a corner at 200kmh, it's always the same. I'm just trying to figure out if this is an incompatibility with the wheel and the game, or if this is the intended behavior.

It can't be the wheel itself as in Forza 3 there is almost no resistance when turning the wheel at low speed, but resistance gradually increases as you gain speed.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yes there's firm resistance for me the second I hit the menu screen.
All right, thank you.

Orgun

The Montreal race has been delayed to the 26th right? Due to people being away?

Plenty of time for new people to get some practice in and join us! :) There is a F1 NeoGAF group on steam that you can join also.

I'm going to have to do some more TT laps. My current online race times are faster than my current TT lap :)

So people have seemingly started to play this less and less. It's hard to even find a game online these days :\

I hope you lads are still up for Montreal next weekend?

Foliorum Viridum said:
So people have seemingly started to play this less and less. It's hard to even find a game online these days :\

on pc? live on the 360 still has a good portion of players. Anyway with F1 starting for real next week people are going to flock to the game again.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:

As Diablohead has stated, the start of the F1 season proper should shake a few people out of the woodwork hopefully.

Of course I am more than up for this weekend, although I may be a bit tired after getting up for the Qualifying session coverage for the Aussie GP at 5am on Saturday.

Ark

I would join you guys, had a huge blast on F1 2010 on PS3 when it came out, but after playing GT5 I just can't go back to F1 2010. Would be nice to join you guys for F1 2011 :).

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
Ah my bad! I didn't read it in that context.

But yes, we're going to have a 2011 league for sure, so that would be great :)

No problem, probably my fault for making it too vague!

IIRC Codies said we should be getting some F1 2011 info this weekend during Oz?

Yup but I'm not getting my hopes up. I expect more of the "live the life" crap to be rolled out at first, rather than info I care about (please 24 players online!)

We'll see though - I'm excited either way.

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yup but I'm not getting my hopes up. I expect more of the "live the life" crap to be rolled out at first, rather than info I care about (please 24 players online!)

We'll see though - I'm excited either way.

Either 16-24 players online, or team mates. That's all I want ;__;

Right lads, I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and as a result I won't have a gaming capable PC on Saturday for Montreal. Sorry about that - I thought I'd be able to order my new graphics card earlier than I can.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right lads, I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and as a result I won't have a gaming capable PC on Saturday for Montreal. Sorry about that - I thought I'd be able to order my new graphics card earlier than I can.

Oh man, i'd totally forgotten this was happening this weekend. I MIGHT be late for/miss the race as i've got a tennis tournament that starts at 12:00.

Yep, for some reason when I was planning when to gut my PC (this week) I was thinking the race was next weekend.

I have to be honest, it seems like our league has died.

1AM GMT for the real F1 pratice, have work in the morning but fuck have to watch the start of a new season to see who is doing well :p

once F1 is sub 10 on steam i'll double dip.

Fixed1979

So uhh, I suppose that were not racing today? I guess I should have checked the thread. It's my home race people! I guess it's for the best as I haven't really put any time in.

Hopefully CM will implement something for leagues in 2011 amongst lots of other needed changes. It would save a bit of work on Foliorums part and make the whole experience much more enjoyable.

My PC is currently getting blue screens of death as I overclock my CPU, and I'm without a GPU still, so sorry about that!

If the interest is still here we can reschedule the Montreal race though? I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to make it next weekend but if everyone else is then we could do that?

Fixed1979

So I figured in the absence of a official championship I'll attempt to work my way through a season. Can anyone recommend some "must have" mods?

Race Department has all of the 2011 skins/tyres for install. There's also a mod that changes the names of the drivers so you can race against the 2011 drivers, but I found that to be glitchy and so did Stop It.

Other than graphical mods there's not much really. Orgun uses that free look one for cockpit view, but since I use T-cam I can't say how good that is.

There's also a few AI mods to make them harder if you really find your pace :p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Race Department has all of the 2011 skins/tyres for install. There's also a mod that changes the names of the drivers so you can race against the 2011 drivers, but I found that to be glitchy and so did Stop It.

Other than graphical mods there's not much really. Orgun uses that free look one for cockpit view, but since I use T-cam I can't say how good that is.

There's also a few AI mods to make them harder if you really find your pace :p
Indeed, I'm hoping the RD Dev one works better.

Bah, that was for another thread, :p

Top Bottom