• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere (or is a stupid question to begin with), but why does this series release in September (at least the 2010 and 2011 iterations)?

Is it purely to make it a holiday release? Or is it because they just don't know enough about rule changes, new drivers, team changes, etc. in RL Formula 1 to release the game around the start of the season?

I suppose I can see the rationale behind the latter. Nobody really knew what impact the new tires, KERS, and the adjustable rear wing would have before the season started (still under debate really), so maybe they need to observe a lot more before they implement that stuff in the game. I guess I'm just used to other sports games releasing before a season starts or very soon after.

I'm thinking about picking up 2010 on 360 (no PC sadly, would have grabbed the 50% steam sale!) but its still $50 new and around $40 used...

AcridMeat

Banned
They need time for all the developments in winter testing to make an impact in the game yeah, but I think it also has to do with the publisher wanting a Q3 release.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Race this weekend lads?

Any track, any length. I don't care. Just want a bit of a race cos it's been ages.
Yeah, I'd be up for it.

Of course this is an open invite to anyone who has the PC edition of F1 2010, regardless of skill level. Come along, especially after the Quali on Saturday and play with us. We're nice people, honest!

I'm on my 3rd single player season now and this is the one where I am playing on expert, holy smokes I both love and hate the fact I have no ABS, TCS and have to do everything manually, F1 is so fast I keep skipping a beat.

I have to resort to sticking gears to auto in-race as long as I change them back before the session ends so I can keep earning the Expert achievement
I am weaksauce but on a pad it's hard enough already :p

I just hope that I can win the championship otherwise I need to work on the 3 wins in a row achievement again :p I have to say this game is giving me much more then I expected from it, i'm also now finally driving for maclaren which was my little personal goal.

DSK123

Neo Member
The last time I played, Sunday I think, my game crashed on me (textures disappeared, sound died). Now when I want to play I'm greeted with stuttering at the Ego and F1 2010 game logos and when I load up a track everything seems like it's in slow motion. The engineers walk slow, cars drive slow and the time is slow, it's about 3-4 seconds per one in-game second. Has anyone experienced this?

1-D_FTW

Can't believe I've finally nailed my DX 11 load crashes down with Codemasters games (almost positive this time... knocks on wood). A long time ago I was able to get to the task manager quick enough to spot funny business going on with Securom.

That led me down some dead end alleys. But I recently had the not too inspired idea to try playing the games with D3DOverider turned off. Played a couple hours with zero issues. I can play with D3DOverrider enabled with DX9 and no issues, but seemingly not with 11. This led me to google and it seems there are a number of games that give people some problems with this combo. I can play Bad Company 2 just fine with D3DOverider, Securom, and DX11. Not sure if these are hard and fast, or the D3DOverider/DX11/Securom are just quirks that bother some system configurations and not others.

Thank you, Codemasters. I'm really grateful that you have Steam DRM, GFWL DRM, and SuckyRom DRM. It wouldn't even have been an issue if you accepted the master race and included Triple Buffering as a user option.

i wasn't too impressed when it first came out but i can pick this up again for £15.

did the patch fix the slowdown, pit bug and jerky fake ai in the ps3 version?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Back into it in a major way now. These days, I race with ALL assists off and it's much more rewarding than racing with them on. Takes a bit getting used to, but Im slowly getting there. Love the dfferent setups from the RD forums too! Freakin Melbourne is giving me problems at the moment though....

pick it up on pc and mod it.
aggresive AI
'action' camera
filter remover

makes the game actually enjoyable.

but for a real feeling of speed (and different cockpits in each car) pick up F1CE for the ps3, online is still going...well you know what i mean

So many dicks online in quick races on the 360, you are on the racing line yet they ignore the white arrow and that you are there and wall you to get no penalty yet I crash :/ I hate having to always give way to idiots who feel they are doing hot laps, and then they bitch if you tap them from late breaking or something...

At least it's no where near as bad as grid was online, that game was a magnet to assholes.

Orgun

Diablohead said:
So many dicks online in quick races on the 360, you are on the racing line yet they ignore the white arrow and that you are there and wall you to get no penalty yet I crash :/ I hate having to always give way to idiots who feel they are doing hot laps, and then they bitch if you tap them from late breaking or something...

At least it's no where near as bad as grid was online, that game was a magnet to assholes.

Play with full damage simulation, that should stop them quick like :)

Orgun said:
Play with full damage simulation, that should stop them quick like :)
I want to race the mini GP's (so I can win one and get that cheese mint) but no one ever plays them, quick races are the only ones I find people in.

Orgun

Diablohead said:
I want to race the mini GP's (so I can win one and get that cheese mint) but no one ever plays them, quick races are the only ones I find people in.

Ah I see.

Hopefully they will have a better ranking system in F1 2011, maybe something like iRacings Safety Rating.

finally won 3 years in a row, finished my first run of 3 years, was with torro rosso for 2 years then my final year with McLaren Mercadies, was a good run! Earned most cheese mints in those races too.

I did attempt some races on expert in the 3rd year but I sucked, but now i'm starting fresh with virgin racing i'm going all the way on expert to see how I hold up.

Really do like this game, some fantastic racing action and really makes you feel like you are in a formula 1 race.

Right, guys, I knew you're all off playing other racing games, and lately I've been a bit of a whore and spending time with Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm, as well, but with my year in uni nearly over I'm thinking we should try and get a few races going again, yes?

Nothing serious, just a few good hours like we used to. Stop It, Acrid, Lucius, Orgun, Crumbs, Fixed, Leunam? I'm sure Staab will be up for races if he's online, too.

I just need to pump a few hours in on my wheel to get good with it again.

I fucking miss you guys :'(

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right, guys, I knew you're all off playing other racing games, and lately I've been a bit of a whore and spending time with Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm, as well, but with my year in uni nearly over I'm thinking we should try and get a few races going again, yes?

Nothing serious, just a few good hours like we used to. Stop It, Acrid, Lucius, Orgun, Crumbs, Fixed, Leunam? I'm sure Staab will be up for races if he's online, too.

I just need to pump a few hours in on my wheel to get good with it again.

I fucking miss you guys :'(
I'd be up for a race or two at sone point today, when were you thinking?

mclaren777

The Racedepartment Development Team has released their massive 2011 season mod for Codemasters' F1 2010 title. To shorten the wait until the release of F1 2011 this fall, the mod updates the 2010 version of the game to current season spec including liveries, helmets, steering wheels, HUD & much more.

Liveries — Brand new liveries have been made for each car to match each team from the season.
Steering Wheels — The wheels have been redone for the teams to match their real life counterparts.
Pit and Race Crews — Crews have been repainted to match their 2011 appearance.
Garages/Paddocks — Teams have new garages and paddocks to better match their sponsors and car livery.
New Drivers — A total of 6 brand new drivers are now in the game.
Track Order — All the tracks in the game are in proper 2011 order.
Driver/Team Strengths — All drivers and teams are edited to match their skills and positions as close as possible to the 2011 season.
Helmets — Some helmets are done but the rest of them will be released soon.
Car/Track Menus — There are new car and track menu selection screens.
2011 Video — A brand new video was made at game startup for the 2011 season.
Car HUD 2011 — There is now a new speedometer to match the new season.

Download Part 1
Download Part 2

iptjI.jpg

zZ3bF.jpg

kitch9

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Can't believe I've finally nailed my DX 11 load crashes down with Codemasters games (almost positive this time... knocks on wood). A long time ago I was able to get to the task manager quick enough to spot funny business going on with Securom.

That led me down some dead end alleys. But I recently had the not too inspired idea to try playing the games with D3DOverider turned off. Played a couple hours with zero issues. I can play with D3DOverrider enabled with DX9 and no issues, but seemingly not with 11. This led me to google and it seems there are a number of games that give people some problems with this combo. I can play Bad Company 2 just fine with D3DOverider, Securom, and DX11. Not sure if these are hard and fast, or the D3DOverider/DX11/Securom are just quirks that bother some system configurations and not others.

Thank you, Codemasters. I'm really grateful that you have Steam DRM, GFWL DRM, and SuckyRom DRM. It wouldn't even have been an issue if you accepted the master race and included Triple Buffering as a user option.

I find TB is standard on most DX games now, is not implemented in F1 2010?

Proper TB at DX level is better than the forced D3doverider method which adds a frame of lag.

1-D_FTW

kitch9 said:
I find TB is standard on most DX games now, is not implemented in F1 2010?

Proper TB at DX level is better than the forced D3doverider method which adds a frame of lag.

I don't know. When it says v-sync in-game, I just assume it's not. Plenty of developers specifically mention triple buffering, so I assume it isn't when not mentioned.

Either way, I'm back to square one. It's a random mystery what causes my issue. It's not D3D.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Holy hell, that's a pretty much full TC to 2011 spec isn't it?

Well, time to re-install F1 2010 and give it a go then! Thanks for the heads up McLaren.

kitch9

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I don't know. When it says v-sync in-game, I just assume it's not. Plenty of developers specifically mention triple buffering, so I assume it isn't when not mentioned.

Either way, I'm back to square one. It's a random mystery what causes my issue. It's not D3D.

My 120hz monitor tends to run most stuff at 90fps with v sync on so I assumed devs just turn it on by default now.

GuessWho

I downloaded the mod, but it's weird when i need to create a profile I can't because I don't have a F1 2010 game folder since I got it from steam. Any help?

That's kinda why I made that video, to show people how fun it will be for F1 2011 :)

Just buy a mic - we like people who talk!

I also hope F1 2011 has 24 player online so we don't need to do a qualifying session to see who gets in again.

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
That's kinda why I made that video, to show people how fun it will be for F1 2011 :)

Just buy a mic - we like people who talk!

I also hope F1 2011 has 24 player online so we don't need to do a qualifying session to see who gets in again.

Don't worry, I've got a mic :)

As long as Codies fix the stupid 'spin everywhere' bug then I'm happy. Most of the 'overtakes' in F1 2010 happen because of a spin..

EDIT:

Just incase anyone is interested; Here is a video of the first race of a GTP GT5 Championship I'm running (You'll note my epic spin at the start (blue car)), Joey's channel also has a bunch of F1 2010 videos from our 10-race championship (although a few are missing).

Lucius86

Banned
There have been some absolutely epic duels from the front of the grid to the back. It's a shame most of us were not recording in the early days, I know I had some amazing scraps with Dilly, Animal & Crumbs.

F1 2011 is a certainty.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Right, I have the game re-installed, I'll download those 2011 mods overnight and, finally, to get you boys interested again:

NeoGAF F1 2010 - The Very Best Of

I had so much fun putting that together - it was great watching those videos again!

So, race soon, lads?

Great video Foli, good music choice too. Was suprised when "Clap your hands if your working too hard" didnt make a showing :)

Really looking forward to 2011 and getting into another league.

Ark said:
Don't worry, I've got a mic :)

As long as Codies fix the stupid 'spin everywhere' bug then I'm happy. Most of the 'overtakes' in F1 2010 happen because of a spin..
Eh, I don't know about that. In a lot of races we had some pretty great close battles. I don't really understand by what you mean by calling spinning a bug, either? Whenever you spin in the game it usually feels justified. The only "buggy" thing about it really is the way tapping the brakes stops the spin pretty much instantly.

Cheers, Orgun! The next video will have some Ting Tings, just for you :)

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eh, I don't know about that. In a lot of races we had some pretty great close battles. I don't really understand by what you mean by calling spinning a bug, either? Whenever you spin in the game it usually feels justified. The only "buggy" thing about it really is the way tapping the brakes stops the spin pretty much instantly.

The fact that it's almost impossible to correct a spin, at least on PS3. When you span, the car was gone until it stopped moving.

Only a number of spins feel justified in F1 2010 for me, whereas in GT5 every spin I make I know is my fault, for example.

Orgun

Ark said:
The fact that it's almost impossible to correct a spin, at least on PS3. When you span, the car was gone until it stopped moving.

Only a number of spins feel justified in F1 2010 for me, whereas in GT5 every spin I make I know is my fault, for example.

Heh I span so much at the start that I got pretty good at correcting one :)

I have never spun in 2010 and thought wtf, every time it's been a curb or tyre wear, weather or lack of traction on accelerating, 360 here.

Tapping the brake is a bit abusive too, the car doesn't even opposite-lock but go straight again.... o.o

I've just had a look at this F1 2011 mod, some things are nice, but damn the menu UI is ugly as sin. Not sold on having the KERS/DRS on the speedo since it's not even in the game, either.

I'd advise against using that mod. Not only is the UI ugly, they've ruined a lot of the camera angles and I've been getting crashes.

Going to do a fresh install to rid my PC of it!

Top Bottom