• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
A few quick comments:

About an hour of playtime with the PC version of the game so far. First thing is...Can't tell you how happy I am to be getting good framerates(avg 85-90!) on my rig with everything turned up to MAX! Good going Codies!! :clap:

Handling is great and because of the improved physics and FFB, the car seems just a tad easier to catch slides with and I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like the "brake to catch" trick *does* work sometimes if your quick about it. Gotta play some more to confirm this.

Also MAJOR props to CM for nailing the controller setup process! I'm on an ECCI 7000 FFB wheel and CST Pedals, and everything works as it should. FFB = no problems. Button Mappings = check. Acknowledging multiple controllers = check. Remains to be seen if all settings will still be saved upon exiting and re-starting the game, so I'll check that shortly and report back if it doesn't.

Anyway this comment:

johnrob said:
...turns that I used to be great at are catching me out and some that i was never good at I seem to be nailing, so there's a definite difference even if everything looks almost the same.

...cannot be emphasized enough. The track themselves appear to look the same, but the modeling of them seems different somehow in certain sections, resulting in corners that need to be tackled differently. I can't put my finger on it but they're definitely not modelled exactly the same as 2010's. I have to slow down more at pretty much all the corners at Melbourne, whereas in 2010 my braking didn't need to be quite as heavy. Gotta keep testing this theory...

This game is definitely a different animal but I'm loving it so far. Oh and it's been running for a while now and no crashing in DX11.....so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

hopefully the postman delivers my disc copy tomorrow a few hours before I have work, I mostly want to see if my pc can run it better then 2010.

Then on saturday I go on holiday away from my pc, noooooooooooooooo

Loving the impressions/videos, guys. The more I read the harder the wait is getting.

Also, Codemasters have hooked Lucius and I up with free copies of the game, which is pretty goddamn awesome. Apparently we have some "swag" on the way as well. Obviously we didn't do this thread with the intention of getting free stuff, but it's a really cool gesture nonetheless so I thought people should know that Helios/Codies are awesome.

I'll post pictures of whatever stuff they send us when it arrives. Anything less than a life size Mark Webber cutout and I won't be happy!

Shaneus

Made of gold, obviously. Any lesser material than that is not deserving of his likeness.

PS. I suspect my Turgismos have arrived today. Hopefully just in time for the (actual) release of the game here. Barring any unforseen circumstances, I should be up and running (at a decent framerate, even if I have to lower the resolution to 320x240) tonight. Yay!

HeliosT10

Foliorum Viridum said:
Loving the impressions/videos, guys. The more I read the harder the wait is getting.

Also, Codemasters have hooked Lucius and I up with free copies of the game, which is pretty goddamn awesome. Apparently we have some "swag" on the way as well. Obviously we didn't do this thread with the intention of getting free stuff, but it's a really cool gesture nonetheless so I thought people should know that Helios/Codies are awesome.

I'll post pictures of whatever stuff they send us when it arrives. Anything less than a life size Mark Webber cutout and I won't be happy!

FYI mate it'll be arriving in two envelopes, the only ones we had in the office I couldn't fit much stuff in. We use a LOT of envelopes in big launch weeks :)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I've put in about an hours worth of laps in the Lotus Renault around Melbourne. No actual race time yet...I'm just having so much fun with the new handling engine (with all assists off). Wow. Just wow. This is the most immersive racing sim I've played since Grand Prix Legends. The handling is sublime. If anything it's easier to control than F1 2010 as you can predict -after a little tracktime- exactly what the car is going to do. I just had an awesome moment around turn 5 on Melbourne where I decided to open the DRS on entry to see what I could get away with. Queue; massive sideways action, completely losing the back end and plowing into the barrier at 200kph...and unlocked the achievement 'Have you tried Dirt 3?'. So good. Is this the finest Codemasters game yet? It's definitely looking like it to me. This is just fantastic.

Also...the sound design is brilliant from the cockpit cam. The sound of the wind and how it changes depending on DRS / highspeed / lowspeed / wing-damage is brilliant. You have to force yourself to push KERS and DRS down the straights sometimes. The sense of speed is terrifying. I'm loving this guys.

gate777

Foliorum Viridum said:

Damn! Codemasters gave you guys free copies for this thread? Awesome! Class act codemasters, class act!! Just for that reason alone I will buy this game tomorrow!

Frawdder

Had a bit of trouble getting my wheel settings right but used the 270 degrees and 25% saturation that few others had posted and that works really well on my G25.

I've only been doing a time trial laps at Melbourne but so far the handling and the general feel of the cars is really good. I little forgiving but quite rewarding when you get it right over a full lap. I find it also requires a little more finesse on the throttle and steering inputs as in 2010 you could brake hard, throw the car into a corner and it would stick. Now, it seems, you have to be a bit more careful not to stamp on the throttle too early or with too much force and be smooth with your steering, otherwise you will lose time or end up in the fence. This is only my thoughts after about 1 hour of driving however.

So far though, I'm really enjoying it.

Just started playing this on the 360.

Wow! It handles much better than 2010. You feel so much more connected to the road. You can actually feel the weight of the cars.

I didn't realize the shortcomings of 2010 until playing 2011. I read what everyone was saying, but didn't really understand until I experienced it myself.

Extremely happy right now.

JackEtc

How hard is it to get into these games? I've never really been into racing games until now, and am kinda interested in picked this one up. Game looks amazing from what I've seen so far, just concerned about learning curve and all that.

TylerD

Played a 12 lap race with all assists off at Melbourne and I love it. I will be able to run it maxed once I upgrade my mobo, proc and ram in a couple of months but it looks pretty good with high settings. The water and rain effects are very very good.

I am really liking the new handling model and have been able to quickly snap my wrist and put on some power to get out of oversteer which is something that I couldn't really do in F1 2010. It is very satisfying without having to brake to save it. The new cockpit view is actually usable for me this time so I should be able to hit the brake points with much more consistency. Having to play with the KERS and DRS is a lot of fun and the sound effect and speed when enabling both is very cool. I am going to miss not having my look behind button. Might have to make that my clutch peddle.

I am pleased with the FFB on my G25 so far but will want to tinker with it a bit. 300 degree rotation is working nicely and it seems I can brake without locking up much easier in 2011.

Can't wait for the next GAF championship and to race with some of you guys. Overall, a big improvement from last year.

Fixed1979

Foliorum Viridum said:

FV and Lucius moneyhatted!

Seriously though that's fucking awesome of them, too bad you still have to wait until Friday! They seemed to want to really push the multiplayer this year so it's good to see them involved directly with the community.
I call the F1 2012 OT!!

Got to play for about an hour tonight, mostly just doing practice for career. Really having a blast with the KERS and DRS systems. You really need to be quick with the shifting while that button is pressed. At some point I'm going to look up some laps on youtube showing where actual drivers are using using it on the course.

M.W.

Man, the PS3 version is rough. I wonder if it's patchable? Feels like the framerate dips into the 20's quite a bit. Ehh

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are performance better or worse than F1 2010 (PC)? Last year's game wasn't really optimized, the patch and dx11 made it a lot better (quick loading and 55fps average @1080p with everything but aa maxed out) but broke some other things and it was still much worse than dirt 2 or 3 (hd5850 here). Verdict on amd cards?
I'm gettin' the game either way but I wanna know :)

Marcellus Wallace said:
I know, I know. Last years version was far smoother though.
Depends on what you mean by smoother, as for the frame rate it's a lot better than 2010. Looks better too.

Honestly, I'm not too bothered about that. I just hope we get a patch that fixes the issues with the game right now.

Lucius86

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
FV and Lucius moneyhatted!

Seriously though that's fucking awesome of them, too bad you still have to wait until Friday! They seemed to want to really push the multiplayer this year so it's good to see them involved directly with the community.
I call the F1 2012 OT!!

I call doing it jointly with you!

Sorry FV, no room for you.

Nah, it's amazing that CM have donated the game and swag - again, like FV, I will post what we get - I am trying to get a steam refund, but if it doesn't come through by Friday, then I will happily just buy the game and donate my free copy.

HeliosCM got a mention in the |OT|, but he provided us with direct feeds to their dev diaries, official CM graphics - he was a big help and this is just the icing on the cake that was totally unexpected. So thanks.

Now, where's my swag?! I have a new room to decorate!

Iknos

Tried the PS3 version for a bit just now...and the graphics were pretty bad.

My first thought was that it looked NOTHING like the vids I saw online.

And then my second thought was that I should have gotten the 360 version.

Then my 3rd thought was that both console versions were probably bad.

But it looks like I'm wrong.

Just checked out some comparisons and it confirms what I'm seeing...the game is a jagged mess on the PS3.

F1_2011_PS3_Xbox_360_Grafik_02.jpg

Now I don't mind the higher contrast on the PS3 but that image quality sucks.

And I can ignore the tree transparency problem as distracting it gets...when it comes to F1 where your driver sits low to the ground reading the corners is extremely hard with the jaggies and low framerate.

Played with the G27 I have yet to try it with the Fanatec. The G27 goes 900 full degrees with only the appropriate amount registering. Is there any way to lock it to the same rotation as the F1 wheels? I can feel that they do that in the menus but not in the game.

So far the game seems alright but feels so last gen because of the sluggish framerate and jagged looks.

We all knew that it would be like this. Look at Dirt 3 for an example. But wow even Dirt 3 didn't have this bad image quality issues.

Shaneus

Lucius86 said:
Nah, it's amazing that CM have donated the game and swag - again, like FV, I will post what we get - I am trying to get a steam refund, but if it doesn't come through by Friday, then I will happily just buy the game and donate my free copy.
I was going to suggest using it as a prize for one of the leagues. Then I realised how stupid that was.

Lach

Got to play about an hour or so last night.

Can't really say anyhting about the change in handling as I switched from Xbox Controller (2010) to G27 Wheel (2011). But I have to say both graphics and AI have made a huge jump.

It will take a few hours to getting accustomed to play with a wheel, and even though it feels harder at the moment, it's just a lot more fun.

And man the difference between my Lotus in Career-Mode and a Ferrari in Time Attack is gigantic.

M.W.

Iknos said:
Just checked out some comparisons and it confirms what I'm seeing...the game is a jagged mess on the PS3.

Yep. The PS3 version looks like the worst of the 3. Oh well.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:

That's very cool of Helios to do that, as I said on Steam though, your efforts have probably sold people on F1 2011 so you two certainly deserve to be rewarded for your efforts!

Anyway, hopefully the Royal Mail will remember where I live today and send me my copy of F1 2011, I'm itching to get going!

Juicy Bob

MoGamesXNA said:
Ok, so I've put in about an hours worth of laps in the Lotus Renault around Melbourne. No actual race time yet...I'm just having so much fun with the new handling engine (with all assists off). Wow. Just wow. This is the most immersive racing sim I've played since Grand Prix Legends.
Seriously? Wow. Now that is praise indeed. (Yes, I broke my own boycott)

Orgun

JAFAR said:
First time playing around with FRAPS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRbxLBJ2-0

I know there's still some time left on the table but DEAR GOD IT'S SO MUCH FUN.

Good stuff! Can't wait to get to Spa in my career or co-op career.

Speaking of co-op, me and Staab had our first race last night. Gadam it's hard on Legendary! I started on primes and got myself up to 12th (i think) but then a couple spins later when the tyres were falling off and a long pit stop put me down to 24th. Finished the race in 21st :( Would have taken 20th but I got blue flagged to let Webber past.

Sadly I didnt get any footage of the race because I only loaded up fraps at the VERY last minute (3 red lights) and even though I hit record just after we moved off it didnt record anything.

Next up Kuala Lumpur

Staab

yeah was pretty tight!
Dry race but got a couple of spins nonetheless (after the pit stop, goddamn those cold tires) and finished up in 18th (I think or was it 19th?).
Could've gotten 15th - 16th with a bit more regular driving, was very exciting and challenging !

jambo

Wonderful. I get home from work tonight and switch my PC on to start downloading F1 2011 on Steam.

Windows starts up, but at 800x600. I login and check the NVIDIA settings, the app won't even launch, saying that I don't have any NVIDIA cards in my system. Uhh... what about those two GTX 570s?

I go and check Device Manager and Windows has disabled both of my cards because they reported problems (Code 43).

After some googling it looks like I might need to whack Windows 7 SP1 (which is downloading incredibly slowly) on and then try reinstalling drivers.

PC gaming is awesome, but fuck it can be annoying at times!

Aaaaaaand Steam just crashed. Sigh, it's going to be one of those nights.

Orgun

jambo said:
Wonderful. I get home from work tonight and switch my PC on to start downloading F1 2011 on Steam.

Windows starts up, but at 800x600. I login and check the NVIDIA settings, the app won't even launch, saying that I don't have any NVIDIA cards in my system. Uhh... what about those two GTX 570s?

I go and check Device Manager and Windows has disabled both of my cards because they reported problems (Code 43).

After some googling it looks like I might need to whack Windows 7 SP1 (which is downloading incredibly slowly) on and then try reinstalling drivers.

PC gaming is awesome, but fuck it can be annoying at times!

Aaaaaaand Steam just crashed. Sigh, it's going to be one of those nights.

Murphy's Law strikes again

I don't know why I'm not noticing the PS3 problems. I know it's there since everyone is seeing it, maybe it's because I'm so used to how bad 2010 was.

Awesome Webber pictures though. :p

Frawdder

I just got disqualified from qualifying while sitting in the pits, no idea how that happened.

And then the game crashed...

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Juicy Bob said:
Seriously? Wow. Now that is praise indeed. (Yes, I broke my own boycott)

Nice one, I wasn't sure if anyone else on here would have played GPL. I started getting back into it again after I got my G27. The engine sounds and physics still hold up after all this time.

After talking to a mate about F1 2011 today he broke his own boycott and picked up a copy at lunch as well. It really is such a great sim. Powering out of a fast corner with slight opposite lock happening, hitting DRS and engaging KERS is just brilliant fun. It's great to have a new challenge in a racing sim. Online races will be interesting as there's so many more avenues for mistakes.

It's a shame that you guys are reporting bad things about the PS3 version. F1 2010 was actually pretty damn close to the 360 version last year. It seems a bit strange that the conversion quality has dropped :/. Hopefully it gets a framerate improvement via a patch by the time I double dip on my PS3 copy.

Anyway, I'm off to crack open a beer, finish watching the 1995 Monaco GP and then get stuck into my F1 2011 career for the evening.

Also, cheers for the laughs with the Webber pics. Gold.

evanylee

JackEtc said:
How hard is it to get into these games? I've never really been into racing games until now, and am kinda interested in picked this one up. Game looks amazing from what I've seen so far, just concerned about learning curve and all that.

If you start to play with all the assist off, you'll really start to appreciate the skill of the drivers in F1 in real life

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Is anyone using the MS steering wheel for this? (360 wheel + wireless receiver)

On PC and 360, need impressions of the wheels performance.

Lucius86

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Is anyone using the MS steering wheel for this? (360 wheel + wireless receiver)

On PC and 360, need impressions of the wheels performance.

I dumped the 360 wheel last year for F1 2010 because there was no force feedback support. This was because of MS, not Codemasters - they had not released a driver for it. Went with the Logitech Force GT and never looked back.

Haunted

Sick OT

If impressions remain good, I can see myself check it out after being disappointed last year. The pit stop and lap times bugs were embarassing.

Top Bottom