• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Fixed1979 said:
FV and Lucius moneyhatted!

Seriously though that's fucking awesome of them, too bad you still have to wait until Friday! They seemed to want to really push the multiplayer this year so it's good to see them involved directly with the community.
I call the F1 2012 OT!!
Sorry, Lucius and I have the contract with CM for the next four years - no swag for you!

Anyone who wants the NeoGAF F1 Youtube account details PM me. Nice to see lots of people recording - let's have the videos in one place for ease! :)

My game came today, only problem is that I can't find my wired 360 controller.

Might as well wait until I am home from my holiday before I dip in.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Sorry, Lucius and I have the contract with CM for the next four years - no swag for you!

Anyone who wants the NeoGAF F1 Youtube account details PM me. Nice to see lots of people recording - let's have the videos in one place for ease! :)
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that channel, I'll upload my stuff to there from now on.

Oh and if you do upload stuff to OT can you add your gaf username to the description or title (though I usually use my gamertag)

Lucius86

Banned
Omiee said:
had the safety car last night, pretty slick but nothing special or something.

What, the SC doesn't fire bazookas at you whilst two pit girls are dancing on the bonnet? I am disappointed.

Orgun said:
Oh and if you do upload stuff to OT can you add your gaf username to the description or title (though I usually use my gamertag)
Yeah, this is the format we used last year:

NeoGAF F1 2010 - Monaco TT 1:12.460 (Salacious Crumbs)

NeoGAF F1 2011 - Title (Your Username)

Just made it look a bit tidy and easy to see who uploaded it etc.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lucius86 said:
What, the SC doesn't fire bazookas at you whilst two pit girls are dancing on the bonnet? I am disappointed.
m2cs4.gif

Bit strange that the game keeps giving me warnings for illegal blocking whenever I don't get a good start. I also got a penalty for squeezing Schumi down the straight in Shanghai. In all fairness I was moving across slowly but consistently when I saw him try to go round the outside. The contact came when he aborted the move with his front right next to my sidepod. A racing incident if I ever saw one. Thanks for the drive-through though!

Oh and my pit crew suck balls. They hardly ever get me out ahead of the cars that pit behind me. It's not so much a timing issue, just when they release you.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
untitled-1bu3q.jpg

Always making me look like the bad guy!

Yes, I have a Blackberry -_-

Gah, 11 more hours!
Haha. Nice swag btw Helios. You guys be better be wearing it while playing the game, heh.

on a related note, I have F1 2011 installing right now, so once I finish work, it'll be time to race, yey!

1-D_FTW

Anyone have a G27 with the PC version? Are you having issues? Saw a couple posts stating it was messed up, but they didn't list their platform.

Between these glowing impressions, getting a work-around for DX11, and realizing my G27 settings sucked for F12010 (Had sensitivity set on 100... silly me for believing the text and thinking that made it the most sensitive), I'm seriously tempted to pick it up now.

Just got the PS3 version delivered after the fantastic OT sold me on the game, I hadn't really been following it's progress as I haven't played an F1 game since Sony's last effort on the PS3. Really liking it so far, although I couldn't believe full braking assist is turned on by default. Is that how some people really want to play? Madness. And yeah, I suck at this. Put in a respectable 1.29 on Melbourne, but can't better it for love nor money, now I'm going to have a stab at career mode :)

ksimm

Woohooo thank you banned site, I now have my first physical media game since I can't remember when... I would have got this from steam but the price was so much cheaper.

Installing now, I'm a 360 pad driver and found F1 2010 controls rather unforgiving with everything off except auto gears, so I really hope this handles better.

I will try and capture some vids later, driving miss daisy round monaco. :p

Started a career last night (god damn right I went with Lotus). Unfortunately at Melbourne, it rained during qualy. The dry practice session was a blast though. The new handling model is soooo much better. The tires actually feel like they are made of rubber and not just some arbitrary grip simulation. You can feel slides and correct them! F12010 had way too snappy oversteer. I had to turn down my wheel sensitivity so much to ever catch even the smallest of slides. Moreover, you can use the curbs much more effectively thanks to the new suspension model. Going a little on the grass is no longer a death sentence either. Which is great cause as you can see from races like Monza, F1 cars have no problem putting a wheel off even at insane speeds.

The DRS system is awesome in P and Q. So much fun pushing the limits of how early you can turn it on. Corner exit DRS drift...amazing feeling. Did a quick online race and got to use KERS and DRS which just makes everything feel hectic, but in a good way. I respect the complexity of driving an F1 car even more and I already had nothing but ultimate respect for F1 drivers. It is also cool that you don't get the HUD overlay of DRS and KERS when in cockpit view. I like the authenticity of using my wheel for all the data. Thank god for that little DRS beep!

So back to the wet situation. The AI's supreme wet ability (I had the AI set to Professional) has been mentioned already but I just wanted to add my own two cents. First off, if you accelerate time during a wet session, the track will not dry (visually) until you begin driving on it. However, the AI will get better and better times in the session as if the track was drying. So I fast forwarded to like 5 minutes left in Q1, went out to a full wet track, and the dry line did start to show after two laps, but all of the other cars were putting in blistering times. The times even at the back of the field in the wet were faster than I did on my first dry practice session (it was my first outing with the game so I am sure I was a few seconds of my best pace). Still, they were basically putting in dry times in the wet. Not to mention it was still raining this entire time so the track couldn't have been that dry on the line. (the dry line is a great effect though, every racing game with rain needs this!)

What is so odd about the AI in the wet is how the game "cheats" their speed. It seems completely arbitrary. I was out braking them with ease but they just effortlessly floated through apexes far faster than I could and as mentioned by others, pulled out of the corners with TC set to 11! This insane corner exit speed means they will dominate the high speed sectors of a track. Although I was +7 seconds off 23rd place, I was almost the fastest car through sector 2 at Melbourne.

This needs to be patched because I am not putting on TC, ever. The handling model is too damn good and catching a slide is spine tingling at times. This game is probably the best wet weather experience to date (AI aside). Other games I feel like I race exactly the same in the wet, just slower. With F12011 I feel like I can really hang it out there and go for it in a Senna-esq way. This wet AI situation is a shame because it is casting a huge shadow over an otherwise fantastic game. I hope my season isn't filled with rain because it ruins your career.

Lastly, PS3 version. It is fine. Not the prettiest, but your immersion is so intense I don't even notice the jaggies once the action starts. Some games I have felt the lower quality console resolutions/gfx have hindered gameplay, this is not the case with 2011. It isn't going to win a beauty pageant but she is still worth taking home and marrying.

Edit: G27 on PS3, no issues. Would like the wheel to feel a little heavier when cornering but I'll live.

Dilly said:
Mark Webber's podium sequence is GODLY.

Opening his Visor in slow motion while not giving a damn included.
Does every driver have their own podium animation?

Does Hamilton get swamped by the press because he crashed? lol

Omiee

Lucius86 said:

whaaat :p hahaha i was hyped for the safety car. It was fun to see for the first time though.

also what weather we going to do the qualy in on melbourne?

Manik

ksimm said:
Woohooo thank you banned site, I now have my first physical media game since I can't remember when... I would have got this from steam but the price was so much cheaper.

Installing now, I'm a 360 pad driver and found F1 2010 controls rather unforgiving with everything off except auto gears, so I really hope this handles better.

I will try and capture some vids later, driving miss daisy round monaco. :p
Mine too, but i'm stuck at work til 5. Torment.

I use the pad as well, so hoping to get lots of practice in before quali for the league so i'm not left in the dust of the wheel users. *gulp*

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Probably dynamic unless people feel strongly about that.

If it tips it down, so be it. Separates the men from the boys.

Hmm for the league qualification i'd say dry but obviously keep it dynamic for quali/races

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
Does every driver have their own podium animation?

Does Hamilton get swamped by the press because he crashed? lol
This I am curious about. If they each have their own or if they get shuffled around is crucial knowledge. I'm guessing there are a handful that get used by various people (except for trademark ones like the finger, obv).

So is the safety car disappointment setting in? I don't get why they didn't allow for a full control setting. Maybe because the penalty system would be incredibly complex.

Lach

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm okay with this if it's the popular opinion.

When I do the post about the quali session I'll take a poll.

As there are going to be 2-3 sessions for the league quali you'd need to be able to recreate the same dynamic settings. Is that possible on a server?

Lach said:
As there are going to be 2-3 sessions for the league quali you'd need to be able to recreate the same dynamic settings. Is that possible on a server?
That's an absolutely great point which I complete forgot about.

Clear it is.

Megasoum said:
Haha when was that taken? Can't remember anything specific happening at the British GP. Why was he so pissed lol?
Horner stopped him from overtaking Vettel.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
gutterboy44 said:
Lastly, PS3 version. It is fine. Not the prettiest, but your immersion is so intense I don't even notice the jaggies once the action starts. Some games I have felt the lower quality console resolutions/gfx have hindered gameplay, this is not the case with 2011. It isn't going to win a beauty pageant but she is still worth taking home and marrying.

Edit: G27 on PS3, no issues. Would like the wheel to feel a little heavier when cornering but I'll live.

Brilliant, cheers for the info. You've pretty much sold me on the PS3 version as well. I'd prefer not have to move my 5-tonne crossfire gaming rig between the TV+racing setup and my PC monitor unless I really have to (ie. I can just leave the PS3 hooked up there).

MoGamesXNA said:
Brilliant, cheers for the info. You've pretty much sold me on the PS3 version as well. I'd prefer not have to move my 5-tonne crossfire gaming rig between the TV+racing setup and my PC monitor unless I really have to (ie. I can just leave the PS3 hooked up there).

If you are GFX obsessed, there is stuff to nit pick, but aside from some jaggies and a frame drop from time to time (it is sad how immune I have become to these this generation) you won't find yourself dissatisfied. It was the same with GT5. Everyone went apeshit about the shadow jaggies, I don't think I noticed them until reading about it because I was to busy driving a 458 around the ring smiling like a senile clown.

MoGamesXNA said:
Bu bu but dude! 1080p + 60 fps vs 720p + 30 fps. How can you *not* do that?

Fixed1979

Frawdder said:
I just got disqualified from qualifying while sitting in the pits, no idea how that happened.

And then the game crashed...

During one of my practice sessions my pit crew sent me out of the garage with a flat right front, before I exited the pit I received an unsafe driving penalty and lost 10 grid places.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Goddamn, I'm in the game.

I love Codemasters.
Fuckin' A. That's excellent man.

Come on weekend, I'm pretty tied up on Saturday but Sunday shall be a day of F1. Can't wait to do some online racing.

amar212

gutterboy44 said:
This needs to be patched because I am not putting on TC, ever. The handling model is too damn good and catching a slide is spine tingling at times. This game is probably the best wet weather experience to date (AI aside). Other games I feel like I race exactly the same in the wet, just slower. With F12011 I feel like I can really hang it out there and go for it in a Senna-esq way. This wet AI situation is a shame because it is casting a huge shadow over an otherwise fantastic game. I hope my season isn't filled with rain because it ruins your career.

My thoughts exactly.

Perfect driving model, beautiful graphics, almost perfect implementation of the overall career with great immersion and tension - this game is one of the best racers I have ever driven.

However, this wet AI just ruins it.

I was running some testing and discovered how I can pretty much match AI "wet times" when I put AI on Normal from my Professional setting. However, AI "dry times" on Normal are too slow and there is no real challenge as there is on Professional.

Fast solution would be to mix AI "wet" performance between Normal and Professional and further handicap their behavior (pace) during weather transition.

I can't really understand how this get passed by the testing because it is very noticeable issue. Nobody can tell me that some betatester managed to match AI pace on Professional AI setting in both dry and wet surfaces and gave a green light for that pace performance.

I would really love to see this issue solved because at this point it really keeps me out of the career mode which I'm having a blast with as long as there is no rain. And with game releasing Eurowide tomorrow, this problem will become more and more vocal.

Orgun

Fixed1979 said:
During one of my practice sessions my pit crew sent me out of the garage with a flat right front, before I exited the pit I received an unsafe driving penalty and lost 10 grid places.

Awesome

tipped

Neo Member
Slayer-33 said:
Is anyone using the MS steering wheel for this? (360 wheel + wireless receiver)

On PC and 360, need impressions of the wheels performance.

I will be playing with a Wireless MS wheel on 360 when I get home from work tonight. Just here to try to pass the time at work before I can get home to play.

Will drop back in here with impressions.

Edit: Has there been any talk of 360 races/league yet?

Lach

Fixed1979 said:

I think you should change the team. It seems to me they don't know what they're doing.

Xun

I think I've decided on the 360 version due to where my two systems are set up.

The PS3 is in the living room so a lot of the time it's occupied, that and the sofa is about 2 metres away from the TV. The 360 however is in my room in a much better place, and it's more catered for using a steering wheel (which is a must, right?)

I really did want to play with you guys on the PS3 league, but I don't see a way around it. :(

Fixed1979 said:

Pit crew didn't replace my damaged front wing when I went in to pit as well. Then they called me in to the pits on the next lap... god damn trolls

Wow does it feel different. I'm uploading a video of my first race since others have and it's quite fun to see how different it is at first :)

Until that's finished - I'm going to race, race, race.

Also, everything maxed = 60fps, even at my resolution (2048x1152). Looks so much better, I'm surprised by that.

Top Bottom