• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

I'm interested in the 360 league...

SLIM v3n0m / SLIM V3n0m

I already have the game, but GOW3 will keep me occupied for a few more day. :)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
gutterboy44 said:
If you are GFX obsessed, there is stuff to nit pick, but aside from some jaggies and a frame drop from time to time (it is sad how immune I have become to these this generation) you won't find yourself dissatisfied. It was the same with GT5. Everyone went apeshit about the shadow jaggies, I don't think I noticed them until reading about it because I was to busy driving a 458 around the ring smiling like a senile clown.

Ah you sound like me then, awesome. I still don't get the GT5 hate either. It looks amazing and plays brilliantly. There's some jaded gamers this gen ;) Similarly I get my 'senile clown' smile happening while putting in some hotlaps in an F40 around Suzuka. How anyone could get mad over some 2D trees is beyond me.

Back to F1 2011...as long as the framerate holds up and it runs as well as F1 2010, then I'm definitely grabbing the PS3 version as well. Jaggies be damned.

MoGamesXNA said:
Ah you sound like me then, awesome. I still don't get the GT5 hate either. It looks amazing and plays brilliantly. There's some jaded gamers this gen ;) Similarly I get my 'senile clown' smile happening while putting in some hotlaps in an F40 around Suzuka. How anyone could get mad over some 2D trees is beyond me.

Back to F1 2011...as long as the framerate holds up and it runs as well as F1 2010, then I'm definitely grabbing the PS3 version as well. Jaggies be damned.

Not having the "piss filter" makes the biggest visual difference. It seems like they spent more time tweaking the physics than the graphics...which is the way it should be.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Megasoum said:
OMG that video is hilarious.
IIRC is went like this - RBR brought brand new front wing to Silverstone, but they had only 2 pieces. Vettel managed to broke his in FP3, so they took one from Webber's car and he raced with old front wing. Furious.

Dommel

gutterboy44 said:
Lastly, PS3 version. It is fine. Not the prettiest, but your immersion is so intense I don't even notice the jaggies once the action starts. Some games I have felt the lower quality console resolutions/gfx have hindered gameplay, this is not the case with 2011. It isn't going to win a beauty pageant but she is still worth taking home and marrying.

Edit: G27 on PS3, no issues. Would like the wheel to feel a little heavier when cornering but I'll live.

I agree, the PS3 looks very jaggie sometimes but once you're doing 300km/h down the straight with a Ferrari behind you that's the last thing you'll care about.

I'm using the Fanatac Carrera wheel and having a hard time matching the pace in a Williams on Professional, might go down to Intermediate AI.

For others with a wheel, how many degrees of rotation are you setting your wheel to?

ksimm

OK seriously, whoever did the audio in the game... WOW I love you! <3
It sounds like someone is chucking dirt in my ear, loving the sound effects.

Control wise, mmMMmm loving it so far the cars feel so much more responsive and precise and dangerous when you push them just a little too far.

Back to racing :D

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
Wait until you console guys see some of the screenshots I've taken. Holy shit this game looks amazing.

POST THEM NOW!!!!

I have the broadband to deal with them. :p

Foliorum Viridum said:
40 mins til my Youtube vid is finished uploading and then I'll post the vid, screens + early thoughts.
You should be glad that this isn't the Forza 4 thread. Mentioning that you have screenshots, videos and info and not releasing them ASAP? You'd get killed, my friend. Killed.

Iknos

MoGamesXNA said:
Brilliant, cheers for the info. You've pretty much sold me on the PS3 version as well. I'd prefer not have to move my 5-tonne crossfire gaming rig between the TV+racing setup and my PC monitor unless I really have to (ie. I can just leave the PS3 hooked up there).
IMO it affects gameplay negatively. Keep on mind that I am playing on a 90 inch screen so issues like jaggies become bigger.

The sub 30fps make it frustrating to play something this technical and fast. cornering at 33m/s means that I see every meter increment per hz when I enter a corner when playing at 30 fps. That turns to a half meter in 60 fps.

If you play with external camera the jaggies won't affect you. If you play cockpit or bumper view it makes corners hard to read.

Do what you want really but if I were on your position with a PC that can run it decently o would stick with yhat

I have to build a PC bit until then I will grab te 360 version. Might trade in my ps3 one

Xun

I've asked it before, but what are some good suggested 360 wheels again?

I may try and find the old official wheel if I can.

Ark

Xun said:
I've asked it before, but what are some good suggested 360 wheels again?

I may try and find the old official wheel if I can.

Anything Fanatec and some of the Thrustmaster wheels.

ACH1LL3US

Dommel said:
I agree, the PS3 looks very jaggie sometimes but once you're doing 300km/h down the straight with a Ferrari behind you that's the last thing you'll care about.

I'm using the Fanatac Carrera wheel and having a hard time matching the pace in a Williams on Professional, might go down to Intermediate AI.

For others with a wheel, how many degrees of rotation are you setting your wheel to?

I can see why Webber was pissed. It shows such favoritism for Vettel and yet Red Bull say they don't do that.... Riiiiiiiight.

arena08

Went into Game today to see how much it was going to be as I haven't preordered. To my astonishment there was a £49.99 sticker on the case. How can they get away with that shit?

In summary; fuck you Game.

Kyaw

Jibbed said:
Is this even remotely playable on PC with a keyboard? I won't have a gamepad or wheel for the forseeable future :/

It is playable obviously. You just would suck compared to everyone else.

Xun

Ark said:
Anything Fanatec and some of the Thrustmaster wheels.
I know it lacks force feedback but is the Ferrari 458 wheel looking likely to be good?

The price is appealing to me.

dubc35

Xun said:
I know it lacks force feedback but is the Ferrari 458 wheel looking likely to be good?

The price is appealing to me.
I wouldn't even consider it since it doesn't have FF. I'm using a DFGT. I like it, it's not top of the line but I didn't want to spend a ton on a wheel.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Iknos said:
IMO it affects gameplay negatively. Keep on mind that I am playing on a 90 inch screen so issues like jaggies become bigger.

The sub 30fps make it frustrating to play something this technical and fast. cornering at 33m/s means that I see every meter increment per hz when I enter a corner when playing at 30 fps. That turns to a half meter in 60 fps.

If you play with external camera the jaggies won't affect you. If you play cockpit or bumper view it makes corners hard to read.

Do what you want really but if I were on your position with a PC that can run it decently o would stick with yhat

I have to build a PC bit until then I will grab te 360 version. Might trade in my ps3 one

I definitely hear what you're saying. The problem is that my 3.5k gaming rig with a 1000watt power supply + crossfire, cost me a $500 electricity bill last quarter :p If I just use my netbook + PS3 my power bill goes down to $280 a quarter. So the long term cost benefit of giving up some graphical fidelity towards saving some cash and using my PS3 Slim is a good one ;) I'm saving for a new motorbike so I'll just deal with 20-30fps and some jaggies next month I guess. For now, I'll crank up 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA at 60fps+ at ultra detail to get some practice sessions in.

Honestly guys, I'd have thought that my impressions of the game would have dropped by now. But I just keep feeling the love. I've started managing my fuel mixture during races now that I'm comfortable with DRS and KERS.

Also... can anyone else take turn 8 in Turkey flat out? I'm trying it with a medium downforce setup in the Mercedes and if I don't back off the throttle it all goes astray. It's brilliant fun drifting an F1 car at 200kph+ though. I'm a massive fan of how each car feels radically different. No doubt if I jump in the RB7 now, turn 8 will be an easy flat-out.

Just another random thought... I'm hugely glad that Codies nailed the physics engine this year. We're not going to have a chance to run on Istanbul next year so I would never of had the pleasure of what I just described above if the right investment hadn't been made towards the tire and suspension modeling. I owe the dev team at Codemasters a beer or ten I think. This is great :D

Dilly

Banned
To be honest, it really doesn't feel arcadey at the moment.

The car pretty much reacts like how a kart handles on a real outdoor circuit, I really find that it feels believable.

Videos:
My first race - I didn't even know my KERS/DRS buttons, but I just wanted to see how the cars handled etc. I did figure out what was KERS about halfway around! Overall I didn't do too badly for my first ever race.
My attempt at bringing out the safety car - Just a quick montage to show what it's like... I quite like the ending, personally.

Apologies for less than amazing quality, but I have a slow (50kb/s) upload rate. Couldn't be arsed to wait hours for them to upload.

Screenshots:

Wow.

• Huge visual improvement and a rock solid 60fps at all times. Great optimisation.
  • The new driving model feels so different - it is like driving a car now. I can feel the tyres turning, I've been sliding all over and if I make a mistake I can no longer just tap the brakes to save myself - and trust me, I've been trying to!
  • KERS/DRS. It really does change the dynamic of races and feels so good to use. At the moment this is the hurdle I need to overcome, because I find it takes my mind off the racing and I mess up. It will come with time, however, and I can't imagine how satisfying it will be to nail the DRS/KERS every single lap.
  • Safety car. Yeah, it's on-rails to an extent, but it really did feel pretty cool following it. It's not something I'll want on all the time, but for career races and probably the league I think it will be great to make the races feel more authentic and mix the positions up a bit.
  • Be the driver, live the life, all that bollocks. Actually... not so bollocks this year. I could still do without all of that stuff, but it's implemented in a much better way. It seems more streamlined and with more little details that doesn't make it such a chore.
  • The HUD. It's super ugly. I loved driving with it off, but with KERS/DRS that's not entirely possible this year. With piss filter gone, this is the thing that needs to be modded this year.
  • You can be a Force India in year 1 of career. Better yet, IT CAN PIT CORRECTLY. Haha :)

I can't wait to hit the online a bit later on, start my co-op career with Lucius, etc etc.

So far, it's everything I wanted and more. Top notch.

Xun

dubc35 said:
I wouldn't even consider it since it doesn't have FF. I'm using a DFGT. I like it, it's not top of the line but I didn't want to spend a ton on a wheel.
I just wish there was a comparable wheel for the 360. :/

They're all expensive.

Omiee

love your impresions, i share most of your thoughts.

love the driving model, its vastly improved from last year. And most of the circuits look really nice now compared to last year.
DRS and KERS are the best aditions, i love figuring out when is the best time to use kers and drs.
i kept my 2nd place in spa because of kers, when people were using drs.

1-D_FTW

MoGamesXNA said:
I definitely hear what you're saying. The problem is that my 3.5k gaming rig with a 1000watt power supply + crossfire, cost me a $500 electricity bill last quarter :p If I just use my netbook + PS3 my power bill goes down to $280 a quarter. So the long term cost benefit of giving up some graphical fidelity towards saving some cash and using my PS3 Slim is a good one ;) I'm saving for a new motorbike so I'll just deal with 20-30fps and some jaggies next month I guess. For now, I'll crank up 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA at 60fps+ at ultra detail to get some practice sessions in.

Honestly guys, I'd have thought that my impressions of the game would have dropped by now. But I just keep feeling the love. I've started managing my fuel mixture during races now that I'm comfortable with DRS and KERS.

Also... can anyone else take turn 8 in Turkey flat out? I'm trying it with a medium downforce setup in the Mercedes and if I don't back off the throttle it all goes astray. It's brilliant fun drifting an F1 car at 200kph+ though. I'm a massive fan of how each car feels radically different. No doubt if I jump in the RB7 now, turn 8 will be an easy flat-out.

Just another random thought... I'm hugely glad that Codies nailed the physics engine this year. We're not going to have a chance to run on Istanbul next year so I would never of had the pleasure of what I just described above if the right investment hadn't been made towards the tire and suspension modeling. I owe the dev team at Codemasters a beer or ten I think. This is great :D

If money was so tight, why did you spend so much money on a rig? You could have bought a rig that played it at 1080P/60fps for 600 dollars. And it wouldn't have used much more electricity than a 360. You could have boughten years of electricity with the savings.

P.S. Crossfire sucks. Not only do those motherboards consume more electricity, but when you run SLI, your GPU voltage never undervolts at idle. For a single card, it's the difference between around 20 watts and 150. Now multiple that by 2 and you see what the problem is.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dilly said:
F1 2010 feels like a beta compared to this.
Yeah, everything in F1 2011 is a progression of the original.

The handling is more involved, and with KERS/DRS, you're so much more busy at the wheel. It looks a darn sight better, especially as the filter is gone for good, it sounds better too.

I'm looking forward to the league, but going by initial Time Trial times, I'm in a bit of trouble!

Omiee

Stop It said:
Yeah, everything in F1 2011 is a progression of the original.

The handling is more involved, and with KERS/DRS, you're so much more busy at the wheel. It looks a darn sight better, especially as the filter is gone for good, it sounds better too.

I'm looking forward to the league, but going by initial Time Trial times, I'm in a bit of trouble!

what are the times, i want to practice.

Angst

Thanks for your impressions FV, now waiting until tomorrow really sucks.

Also: abload.de? Really? Pop-ups and pop-unders all tells me to please continue using imgur :)

Abload doesn't compress images. Imgur does. That's why everyone uses it in the High-Res Screenshot Thread.

No point showing off a game if the images are compressed to hell.

ksimm

Mark Webber got a bit of Monza rage in the wet, love this game and it's quirky sparks...

Look ma, no wheels.
f1carnage.jpg

The good Lord smites thee.
f1carnage5.jpg

Eat piss filter!
f1carnage3.jpg

Let there be light.
f1carnage4.jpg

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
Abload doesn't compress images. That's why everyone uses it in the High-Res Screenshot Thread.

No point showing off a game if the images are compressed to hell.
That's a good point, didn't know about that. Imgur only compresses images if you don't pay for the service I think?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
1-D_FTW said:
If money was so tight, why did you spend so much money on a rig? You could have bought a rig that played it at 1080P/60fps for 600 dollars. And it wouldn't have used much more electricity than a 360. You could have boughten years of electricity with the savings.

P.S. Crossfire sucks. Not only do those motherboards consume more electricity, but when you run SLI, your GPU voltage never undervolts at idle. For a single card, it's the difference between around 20 watts and 150. Now multiple that by 2 and you see what the problem is.

Money isn't tight. But I'd rather spend the savings on amenities on a few extra games each year. Surely that cash is better off in the hands of developers? It's a personal decision but the extra graphical fidelity isn't as important to me. I'll be sinking a massive amount of time into F1 2011 until the next version is released. Plus the convenience of not having to move my PC between my monitor and my VR3 setup is a huge bonus. My second PS3 is a permanent fixture on my VR3 rig FYI.

My uber gaming PC was a personal project with some spare cash. I'm a hardware enthusiast, developer and a gamer. I know what I'm doing bro, no need for the lecture :)

@ksimm ... Thanks for the laugh mate. The 'eat piss filter' quote cracked me up. Great captures too. I actually haven't even seen any sparks in the game yet.

1-D_FTW

MoGamesXNA said:
Money isn't tight. But I'd rather spend the savings on amenities on a few extra games each year. Surely that cash is better off in the hands of developers? It's a personal decision but the extra graphical fidelity isn't as important to me. I'll be sinking a massive amount of time into F1 2011 until the next version is released. Plus the convenience of not having to move my PC between my monitor and my VR3 setup is a huge bonus. My second PS3 is a permanent fixture on my VR3 rig FYI.

My uber gaming PC was a personal project with some spare cash. I'm a hardware enthusiast, developer and a gamer. I know what I'm doing bro, no need for the lecture :)

I'm just saying, since you made a point of detailing it, if you pulled one of the cards, you'd still get 1080P/60 fps in F1 and probably drop at least 200 watts from your idle. The idle is why you're noticing it on your bill.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Omiee said:
target times for melbourne guys?

what are you guys getting at the moment.

I got a 1:29.5xx in the Renault with all assists off from memory. That was my first session with the game though. I might be be able to improve that now that I've gotten some more lap time and a couple of races in.

Is there going to be a leaderboard for times in this OT btw? It'd be great to have a benchmark

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
1-D_FTW said:
I'm just saying, since you made a point of detailing it, if you pulled one of the cards, you'd still get 1080P/60 fps in F1 and probably drop at least 200 watts from your idle. The idle is why you're noticing it on your bill.

You're right, that's good advice. Cheers

Omiee

MoGamesXNA said:
I got a 1:29.5xx in the Renault with all assists off from memory. That was my first session with the game though. I might be be able to improve that now that I've gotten some more lap time and a couple of races in.

Is there going to be a leaderboard for times in this OT btw? It'd be great to have a benchmark

i agree with this one, could we have like a board with times to let us practice in anticipation of the qualy.

we could send one of the guys who are in charge of the op etc a screen

My experiences of F1 2011 so far:

30+ minutes to install.
Hung when loading my first GP.
Forced DX9 in the settings XML file (I only have a DX9 card, but it solved some issues in 2010)
Hung again when trying to load a GP.
Updated my nvidia drivers.
Still hangs while loading a GP.

Fun.

Top Bottom