• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Isn't there a built in friends scoreboard in time trial?

That's what we used last year. Was easy. Making a leaderboard for every pre-race time trial seems a bit much to me.

Omiee

Foliorum Viridum said:
Isn't there a built in friends scoreboard in time trial?

That's what we used last year. Was easy. Making a leaderboard for every pre-race time trial seems a bit much to me.

nah i mean just melbourne, for the qualy of who is going to be in the league

rogue_pigeon said:
My experiences of F1 2011 so far:

30+ minutes to install.
Hung when loading my first GP.
Forced DX9 in the settings XML file (I only have a DX9 card, but it solved some issues in 2010)
Hung again when trying to load a GP.
Updated my nvidia drivers.
Still hangs while loading a GP.

Fun.

Codemasters.

Get it? Get it?

Omiee said:
nah i mean just melbourne, for the qualy of who is going to be in the league
Yeah, I know, but if there's an in-game scoreboard then that's all we need.

I just looked - there is. That's what we'll use. Crumbs is fastest with a 1:22 at the moment.

brotkasten said:
Codemasters.

Get it? Get it?

Modern gaming in general, frankly. If it's not graphics drivers, it's firmware updates.

Anyway, despite changing nothing since my last attempt, i've now managed to make it to the garage. Semi-hooray.

rogue_pigeon said:

30+ minutes to install.
Forced DX9 in the settings XML file (I only have a DX9 card, but it solved some issues in 2010)

Fun.

And this is why despite the GFX of the PC blasting the pants off PS360, I just want the little time I have to spend on gaming, spent on gaming and not troubleshooting. During the day I am troubleshooting servers and shit. Glad people are still out there belting out insane resolutions on PC to take screens (and host them on retarded sites..double pop ups...really?) and enjoy the limits of modern GFX.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Are performance better or worse than F1 2010 (PC)? Last year's game wasn't really optimized, the patch and dx11 made it a lot better (quick loading and 55fps average @1080p with everything but aa maxed out) but broke some other things and it was still much worse than dirt 2 or 3 (hd5850 here). Verdict on amd cards?
I'm gettin' the game either way but I wanna know :)

?

First time F1er here. Loving the game but I'm having some trouble exiting corners. I try to take it easy on the throttle to avoid spinning, but usually end up getting dusted by any car I'm right behind. I feel like maybe I'm exiting in the wrong gear? I just feel like if I try to keep up I'll definitely spin.

Any tips for a noob on properly exiting a turn? Should I be in a low or high gear to maintain control but still be able to power out of the turn?

S. L.

the game will unlock in aprox 4 hours... yay... :/
this gfwl account thing is annoying, was trying to add you guys but after 5 or so it told me i can't add anymore and have to wait some time.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's all in the OP!

Game keeps crashing when I try to exit TT to save my time. Grr!

Have you tried alt-enter to get to windowed mode? Really think it's the ultimate elixir for the DX 11 crashing. Full screen for racing, windowed for everything else, has completely made me crash free with Codemaster DX 11 games.

Nope, but it worked this time.

1:23.2xx, not far off Crumbs. Happy with that considering I've been playing for three hours.

Might try and get some online races going now boys if you want to hop on!

Salacious Crumb

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nope, but it worked this time.

1:23.2xx, not far off Crumbs. Happy with that considering I've been playing for three hours.

Might try and get some online races going now boys if you want to hop on!

I've gotten down to a 21.8 using the default car setup with a bunch of missed apexes. DRS completely changes the way you approach car setup in TT, no longer can I just set it to the far right dry setup and get a good time.

I'm keen for a few races, 3 laps around india could be fun.

Fong Ghoul said:
Any tips for a noob on properly exiting a turn? Should I be in a low or high gear to maintain control but still be able to power out of the turn?

The right way to exit a corner is to keep an increasing pace on the throttle until you reach a point where you can "floor it" You have to feel your way around each corner and that's not an easy task. How much throttle you need around corner is something you'll need to try until you get right.

The easiest way to know which gear is for which corner is look up track guides, I personally never used them but they're good guidance.

Hover each red dot it will have the info you need http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/australia_844/circuit_diagram.html

Omiee said:
target times for melbourne guys?

what are you guys getting at the moment.

Got a 1:27 flat with my Williams in career mode, all assists off. And consistent ~1:30s in an 100% race.

Time trial got 1:25.4 with the same car, no assists but the time trial car is miles better than.

Omiee

NO_Quarter25 said:
Got a 1:27 flat with my Williams in career mode, all assists off. And consistent ~1:30s in an 100% race.

Time trial got 1:25.4 with the same car, no assists but the time trial car is miles better than.

All TT cars are the same.

man this game is much more difficult than last years game with not assissts. I cant count all the times i spun out with my car after enabling drs.

Just picked it up. Short impressions:

HOLY SH*TBALLS! It's so good and so different. The cars feel entirely different and amazing. I have to figure out what assists I want on and where the hell some buttons are but it is fricking amazing. Jesus Christ.

Wessiej

rogue_pigeon said:

30+ minutes to install.

Fun.
My experience:

Install 10 minutes
PLAY SOME F1 SON

JAFAR

Spend an hour getting a quick time on Melbourne....

...check leaderboards to see it get stomped by all my new F1 GAF friends

lance3.gif

Man, this game (360) could use a good patch or 10.

My favorite bug is if you're using auto tranny, when you loop it and hold the brakes down, the gearbox immediately jumps into reverse powering you into the wall behind you.

Omiee

looks like i will be one of the backmarkers all the time. my times are just not on the same level
i keep spinning out sometimes when i try to go to hard.

ksimm

Hmmmmm just crashed, the game that is. :[

The game runs as smooth as silk, but a couple of times now I get this weird pausing / stutter that ruins my race.

Iknos

BCD2 said:
Man, this game (360) could use a good patch or 10.

My favorite bug is if you're using auto tranny, when you loop it and hold the brakes down, the gearbox immediately jumps into reverse powering you into the wall behind you.
Many racers do this. It's the convention. Not realistic but I cant fault codies.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

ksimm said:
Hmmmmm just crashed, the game that is. :[

The game runs as smooth as silk, but a couple of times now I get this weird pausing / stutter that ruins my race.

I'm getting a better framerate and overall performance than 2010 had, but I'm also getting a massive increase in (game) crashes. Haven't once been able to exit the game without it crashing either.

1-D_FTW

Omiee said:
looks like i will be one of the backmarkers all the time. my times are just not on the same level
i keep spinning out sometimes when i try to go to hard.

JAFAR said:
Spend an hour getting a quick time on Melbourne....

...check leaderboards to see it get stomped by all my new F1 GAF friends

lance3.gif

Looks like I'll finally have some competition this year.

Although I'm filing a belated protest for never getting the memo that brake jamming performed a magic reversal. I would have been much more competitive last year with this piece of info.

It wasn't exactly something you had to be told. Everyone realised it within their first race or so I thought.

Some great races tonight. SC and AI are crap online, but the rest is wonderful. Nice to race with a bunch of new guys, too!

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
It wasn't exactly something you had to be told. Everyone realised it within their first race or so I thought.

Some great races tonight. SC and AI are crap online, but the rest is wonderful. Nice to race with a bunch of new guys, too!

You'd think;) But I always tried to counter-steer my way out. And it always ended with my sliding into a reversal and 30 seconds later hitting the reset car button.

Tapping on my G27 brakes doesn't do anything. I have to foot stomp it. And trying to counter-steer made more sense to me than thinking stomping on the brake would magically perform a 180 back to the forward position.

I heard people talk about this tap thing, but thought it was some advanced ninja technique. Never knew it was as simple as a foot stomp.

Yes, I can be slow to try new things. I really need to start reading wikis on the games I play.

Shaneus

Shit, I have to go through and add you all to my Live friends list, then! So friends names come up when doing a TT?

I had a few quick laps of Melbourne in an RBR in the dry, no assists... 1:44 :(
(but that was pretty much my first time driving with no assists at all, so I was pretty happy)

markao

Angst said:
Also: abload.de? Really? Pop-ups and pop-unders all tells me to please continue using imgur :)
Next time you have to open that site to see an image, click on "Nur das Bild anzeigen" (menu) and all adds disappear, or even do not show up if you are quick enough ;)

Salacious Crumb

I'm uploading a video showing just how odd the AI can be in MP, should be ready in 45mins. Is there anyway I can record video with fraps without it recording our mic chatter?

Orgun

One of the audio settings not sure which! :) mine doesnt record our chatter

Great fun racing online again with most of the old gang and at least one new person :D Still can't believe I got fastest lap on Montreal. Spectator mode works a treat, bit of a pain to change person quickly but it works

Trying to sleep but all I can hear is engine noises and all I see when I closely eyes is a corner I'm trying to hit the apex of.

Iknos said:
Many racers do this. It's the convention. Not realistic but I cant fault codies.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Like a lot of console racing games, reverse can be triggered when you hold the brakes down for several seconds while the car is stationary. Nosed into the barrier? Hold the brakes down, and it backs up. What happens here is that as soon as the car starts going backwards in a spin, it goes from being the brakes to being the throttle in reverse gear. IE, it stops slowing down and starts driving backwards. The very opposite of what you want at that moment!

BCD2 said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Like a lot of console racing games, reverse can be triggered when you hold the brakes down for several seconds while the car is stationary. Nosed into the barrier? Hold the brakes down, and it backs up. What happens here is that as soon as the car starts going backwards in a spin, it goes from being the brakes to being the throttle in reverse gear. IE, it stops slowing down and starts driving backwards. The very opposite of what you want at that moment!

I noticed that too. It's like there's no time gap between braking and reversing. You can't come to a dead stop by holding on to the brake, because you instantly start reversing the very moment you stop moving forward.

Annoying

Top Bottom