• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Xun

Any talks of a 360 league yet?

I may very well start one, but I wouldn't be able to for about a month or so (lack of money for Live).

I'm also not sure how dedicated I would be to running the thing. :/

Salacious Crumb said:
I'm uploading a video showing just how odd the AI can be in MP, should be ready in 45mins. Is there anyway I can record video with fraps without it recording our mic chatter?
Under "movies" in FRAPS I have Record Win7 Sound and Stereo checked. Nothing else.

That should do it!

Salacious Crumb

Foliorum Viridum said:
Under "movies" in FRAPS I have Record Win7 Sound and Stereo checked. Nothing else.

That should do it!

That's all I have checked as well. Do have voice chat play through a different device than the game audio itself plays through ie voice chat through headset, game audio through speakers?

Salacious Crumb said:
That's all I have checked as well. Do have voice chat play through a different device than the game audio itself plays through ie voice chat through headset, game audio through speakers?
Voice goes through headset for me. Game through speakers.

DownWithTheShip said:
I noticed that too. It's like there's no time gap between braking and reversing. You can't come to a dead stop by holding on to the brake, because you instantly start reversing the very moment you stop moving forward.

Annoying
Exactly.

Hopefully we'll get a fix shortly. Until then, keep that ship sailing straight!

spicy cho

I don't know if this can be answered but here goes: Assuming all TT cars and all online cars are equal and perform the same, is there any difference between them?

No. TT is perfect conditions 100% of the time. Your car, track, weather etc is at the best possible setting.

Online everything changes. The cars are the same equipment, but you need to handle them differently depending on the conditions, your driving style, etc.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Purely cosmetic.

Sorry, but that is not true. In Melbourne I tried to chase your Red Bull time with the Virgin, but I just could not get below 1:28:00. I switched to Red Bull, and the first lap was immediately 1:25:XX. The cars have different handling and different top speeds, also in TT mode.

Manik

It was when the McLaren and the Ferrari sort of, linked wheels with each other, and led each other round the track, when it started to get really weird.

That and the invisible, mystery safety card that no-one could seem to spot. Very bizarre indeed.

Still, it was good fun playing with you all (I was CazzBside) - Not only my first online race in F1 2011, but my first race altogether, and my first time playing with no assists. All on a 360 pad. Scary, scary times indeed. But much fun!

Cheers to everyone that was on - will hopefully catch some of you over the weekend when I've gotten something of a better handle on the... er.. handling.

the_korben said:
Sorry, but that is not true. In Melbourne I tried to chase your Red Bull time with the Virgin, but I just could not get below 1:28:00. I switched to Red Bull, and the first lap was immediately 1:25:XX. The cars have different handling and different top speeds, also in TT mode.
Really?

I'm 99.9% sure that all cars were equal in TT in 2010. I used my Force India a lot last year and I was keeping up the Red Bulls and McLarens.

Hmm.

spicy cho

Well it isn't exactly scientific but I think I'll just put in a best lap in a red bull, then switch to an HRT just to see if it keeps pace somewhat.

GuessWho

I love this game, and it's running pretty smooth on high settings with my 8800GT! This card is still kicking ass 3-4 years later.

spicy cho said:
Well it isn't exactly scientific but I think I'll just put in a best lap in a red bull, then switch to an HRT just to see if it keeps pace somewhat.
I just jumped into a HRT and it doesn't have KERS, so no, not equal this year.

I am nearly positive they were last year, though!

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just jumped into a HRT and it doesn't have KERS, so no, not equal this year.

I am nearly positive they were last year, though!

Pretty sure they weren't. The lower tier cars weren't nearly as fast for me in TT.

Could have been a placebo effect, but it sure seemed like they handled differently.

TylerD

Foliorum Viridum said:
Really?

I'm 99.9% sure that all cars were equal in TT in 2010. I used my Force India a lot last year and I was keeping up the Red Bulls and McLarens.

Hmm.

Lotus doesn't have KERS in TT either. I was lapping 1.28 then hopped in the Red Bull and did a 1:24 2nd lap

So.. proving grounds.. is it glitched? 2 scenarios and apparently I have the EXACT gold times on both.. Even though I was way ahead of the gold ghost car both occasions.. smh =(

Foliorum Viridum said:
I really enjoyed racing against you! Very, very close in Montreal :)

And yeah, bring up the GFWL overlay, go to Settings > Voice and just detect your mic there.

Ah thx, I've never raced there bf in an f1 car, i had the slowest lap time by like 2 or 3 sec lol

After successfully tweaking my G27 and in-game settings to get all the inputs as close to 1:1 as possible, I started driving hard and noticed something slightly annoying immediately and could find no option to rectify it. When oversteering, the game "helps" you very generously with your counter-steering input. At one point I was given way more in-game opposite lock than I requested with the G27. I very lightly turned into a slide while modulating the throttle to try to maintain a bit of slip angle on the rears, and the in-game wheel counter-steered well beyond my input.

I also noticed that the steering became less and less 1:1 at higher speeds--I first noticed it in high speed corners when I was getting what seemed to be understeer but was in fact the game simply not matching my steering input, so I put it to the test, and sure enough, I could be hauling ass down a straight and give full-lock input in one direction and get nowhere near that amount of steering input from the game. Setting the "override input device type" option to "steering wheel" fixed the speed-sensitivity steering problem, but not the overzealous assistance with counter-steering input.

Keep in mind these are minor gripes from a sim purist. Overall, the driving is still quite enjoyable.

Edit: Also, I should note that I never played F1 2010; this is my first time with a Codemasters racing game on PC.

I know it will get beaten, but let me have this moment!

untitled-21u9e.jpg

God I love seeing my name above Crumbs. Even though now he'll knock half a second off...

Frawdder

Just had my own 'Fuck Sake, Felipe' moment

Massa was exiting the pits as I was coming down pit straight at Melbourne and suddenly Massa turns hard left right into my path. I lost a piece of my front wing while Massa didn't get a penalty for crossing the white line and went on the finish a close second.

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know it will get beaten, but let me have this moment!

http://www.abload.de/img/untitled-21u9e.jpg[IMG]

God I love seeing my name above Crumbs. Even though now he'll knock half a second off...[/QUOTE]
What's the "Setup" icon supposed to represent?

I assume if you have tweaked the car. I put the setup to far right, I didn't actually tweak it myself.

I will have soon, though... as soon as someone like Lucius has one to give me.

Since I could probably never handle the pressure of a league the leader board stuff is very interesting. You think this will be a big hit for us or become mostly ignored later?

Shaneus

Salacious Crumb said:
http://i.imgur.com/0YFoI.jpg[IMG]

Just trying to get some glory before lucius bitch slaps everyone with a sub 1.20[/QUOTE]
Considering FV's post, it's almost like you deliberately beat his time by almost exactly half a second. You are a first class arsehole.

Bravo.

AcridMeat

Banned
Have been waiting for the chance to play this again since Monday, finally get a chance, and game constantly fails connection with Crumbs. On top of that, it is now running at less than half the frames it was Monday. Fucking great.

Lucius86

Banned
“It had it all
It was the greatest ride
The thrill of a lifetime
Round and round it went
But where it stopped, who knew?
Who knew who would claim the prize?

It had it all
It had the invincible Lotus
Tamed only by the one who rode it and the Silverstone wet
Unable sometimes to tame themselves;
Unable to control their friends acting as shit pit engineers

So quickly went the ride that friends, rivals, team mates blurred into one
And that way madness lies
It had intrigue and in-fighting
It had a twat who like to mess up the hero's march
There are those who simply would not accept being hit at 200Mph for fun

It had new and old
New faces, new machines
New blood and an echo of the past
A name, a memory

It had the spectre of the beast
A fallen god now reining against his own mortality and risking that of others
Orgun, everyone’s time must pass you baldy

It had the sunshine of course
And had the storms where the cars danced among the heat and dirt

It had moments where the world turned upside down
And the people held their breath as Acrid ghosted
And then exhaled to breathe again

It had it all, that’s right
This carousel of glamour and the glory
It had a new world champion

What do you do when this ride is over?
The greatest ride,
The thrill of a lifetime
You take your seat
You get back on
And this ride begins once more”

Bitches, I have F1 2011.

Orgun

Lucius86 said:
“It had it all
It was the greatest ride
The thrill of a lifetime
Round and round it went

It had it all

It had new and old
New faces, new machines
A name, a memory

The greatest ride,
The thrill of a lifetime
You take your seat
You get back on

Bitches, I have F1 2011.
Sniff, I salute you sir

Shaneus

AcridMeat said:
Have been waiting for the chance to play this again since Monday, finally get a chance, and game constantly fails connection with Crumbs. On top of that, it is now running at less than half the frames it was Monday. Fucking great.
Try disabling one of your GPUs. If you only have one, disable it anyway.

I'm happy to say that I'm getting fairly playable rates out of the game after disabling one of my cards in Crossfire. Still not a patch on my brother, who has an i7-980X@4.2GHz and dual 3GB GTX 580s who can run 3x 1080p screens at about 70-80fps flat. Such a bastard.

He doesn't even have a wheel!

dubc35

Xun said:
I just wish there was a comparable wheel for the 360. :/

They're all expensive.
Sorry, I didn't know you were on the 360. If the cheaper Logitech wheels were supported I would have bought a 360 long ago. As is, no dice.

For DFGT users what is everyone using as their DRS/KERS buttons? I have L2 as DRS and R2 as KERS as they seem the easiest to hit but I am open to suggestions as to what might work better.

Also anyone looking to add friends they can easily beat on their leaderboard can add me lol, psn dubc35

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lucius86 said:
“It had it all
It was the greatest ride
The thrill of a lifetime
Round and round it went

It had it all

It had new and old
New faces, new machines
A name, a memory

The greatest ride,
The thrill of a lifetime
You take your seat
You get back on

Bitches, I have F1 2011.

Right, I belive we all are present and correct then.

Tonight, there shall be WAR!

dubc35 said:
For DFGT users what is everyone using as their DRS/KERS buttons? I have L2 as DRS and R2 as KERS as they seem the easiest to hit but I am open to suggestions as to what might work better.

Also anyone looking to add friends they can easily beat on their leaderboard can add me lol, psn dubc35
I use the default triangle for DRS and circle for KERS.

I've already sent you a friends request but you're yet accept it.

Dammnit! Amazon UK have just let me down on my pre-order for the 360. Just got the "we regret to inform you we're out of stock" message...

So, I either have to go on a hunt after work for a copy, or I could go the PC version route and just bag it off steam. I have a 17" Macbook Pro 2.3Gh i7 with 8Gb Ram & ATI 6750M. Will it run ok on that, or am I better off with the 360 version?

Top Bottom