• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp, I'm going to try overclocking my CPU this weekend. Sick of having the frames drop conveniently at my braking points all the time and go flying off.

If it doesn't help by much I'm going to try a re-install because for some reason every time I launch the game now it goes through the "first time launch" installs again.

DRS doesn't shut in the tunnel in Monaco or at Eau Rouge in Spa. It did say in one of the reviews that was linked here that it does! (Autosport?)

dubc35 said:
My apologies, I didn't see it. I just accepted the request. Thanks!

No problem. Thanks for the add!

Manik

NO_Quarter25 said:
So I got in a race or two with you guys bf I had to go to work, but I couldn't get my mic to work.

Is the chat through GFWL?

If you're using the 360 pad, then I had the same issue with my mic (360 headset, plugged in through the pad). It appears that Steam conflicts with GFWL when it comes to your microphone - I could hear everyone in the lobby but it wouldn't register my mic input. I found that closing Steam and just opening the game up by itself resolved the issue.

Another random tip - If you have VSync on, and are playing in DX9, the load times will be 2-4 times longer than normal, which kept causing me to be disconnected from online games (presumably due to timing out when everyone else was ready and waiting).

S. L.

for old-pc gaf:
did a few rounds and it seem to run allright on medium'ish settings on a 8800gt with an e8400 (i think) C2D cpu - given that i don't crank the res too high up

gragy10

Not sure if i had unrealistic expectations but a bit disappointed with performnace on PC.
Figured a Phenom x4 965BE and a GTX580 would be enough to get this on Ultra at 60fps but currently averaging 40 with dips to 32 according to the benchmark, which then crashed on exit.

Juicy Bob

Finally I can join the club! (PS3)

Did a 'shakedown' test around Catalunya in the Virgin on Grand Prix mode. Spent an hour pounding around experiencing the new handling and it's glorious. The cars turn in so much more deliberately and you can feel the car breaking traction around the long right-hand Turn 3. It's so much more authentic. Also the braking distances have been shortened and, thus, are more realistic as well.

DRS works brilliantly and it really does add an extra element to the driving experience, haven't been able to try KERS yet as Virgin don't have it but initial impressions on the gameplay are that it's very very satisfying indeed.

Graphics are glorious. The fact that the piss-filter has gone makes a huge difference. Frame rate is fine during gameplay, though I haven't tried the game in the rain or at any of the more graphically-demanding tracks yet. Frame rate does drop when entering the pitlane, but because that sequence is all automated it doesn't actually bother me.

I think I'll start a Career after FP1 and try out the new AI.

fresquito

First impressions.

- Huge improvement over last year. Didn't play much of last year game, and it was because I found the driving model to be crap. This year it feels good. It's not LFS good, but it's good enough.
- Graphics are pretty good. I had seen lots of videos, but it's not the same when you see it in front of you. Optimization could be better, but it doesn't matter, it looks great on normal settings.
- I've seen some bugs. Some are not very important, other are quite disturbing (wet AI being the worst I've found so far). BTW, wet driving is very well done.
- Developing on the feel of the game, the diference of tires is huge. I love it.
- DRS is an awesome inclusion. KERS too. KERS for Red Bull is badly done, as it works as the rest'.
- One thing that annoys me is the engineer. He doesn't give too much feedback. For instance, I was doing free runnings and it started raining. I changed my tires, but he didn't tell me anything. Again, it started raining heavier, and I waited a bit to see if he had anything to say, but he did not. I was spinning all over Spa, but he was muted. When I changed tires and I was about to leave the box he told me: be careful, it's raining outside.
- A friend of mine had the pit bug happening to him. Anybody have suffered it too?
- All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the game plays and looks.

YAY!

This popped into Steam Store today for me. We didn't get F12010 or Dirt 3 (Still don't actually :() in my region, so having this is awesome!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know it will get beaten, but let me have this moment!

untitled-21u9e.jpg

God I love seeing my name above Crumbs. Even though now he'll knock half a second off...

Salacious Crumb said:
0YFoI.jpg

Just trying to get some glory before lucius bitch slaps everyone with a sub 1.20

I love my crystal ball. Also, I hate you.

Stop It said:
Right, I belive we all are present and correct then.

Tonight, there shall be WAR!

Yup, this evening I expect hours of non-stop mayhem online. It will be great.

img00280-20110923-1205yul5.jpg

T-shirt and scarf. I now have a full F1 2011 outfit almost, haha. It's actually really well made and I don't think I'd mind wearing either out in public.

I hope one day Lucius and I both have the t-shirts on and bump into each other on the street.

Cheers, Helios!

Lucius86

Banned
A new gym t-shirt! I needed one of them, my Rage t-shirt was getting a bit manky.

What size is yours? I am going to to take a pic of all the swag I have whilst wearing it at the same time. F1 2011 hat and HRT baseball cap included.

1-D_FTW

AcridMeat said:
Welp, I'm going to try overclocking my CPU this weekend. Sick of having the frames drop conveniently at my braking points all the time and go flying off.

If it doesn't help by much I'm going to try a re-install because for some reason every time I launch the game now it goes through the "first time launch" installs again.

Do you mean you're dropping 10 frames because your system is overwhelmed, or are you getting a .25 - .75 second hiccup in those corners that sends you flying off?

This was my problem with running DX9 last year. Disabling the replay cache helped a little bit (although the patch or being able to run DX11 were the real solutions).

Xun

360 game ordered.

Is anybody up for a league? If so PM me and we can maybe get something organised, although I'm not sure how committed I can actually be.

Lach

Damn I just spent 60 laps at melbourne in timetrial/redbull

I just can't get under 1:24 (at least I can get those with some consinstency)
I know where I can push harder, but where can get another 3-4 is beyond me at the moment. I propably just need to keep pushing. Lot's of practice ahead of me till qualification day.

Kyaw

I still haven't received my copy from Play.com...

Maybe tomorrow!

I'm quite jelly at the goodies that FV and Lucius got. :3
I MADE THE GRAPHICS!!! :p

Mad_Ban

Finally switched off assists and I can do 1:22 flat laps at Melbourne using the 360 controller (sadly I can't fit a wheel in here :( ).

Lucius86 said:
I don't think I will be very good at this iteration. Struggling handling KERS and DRS.
I thought that, but that TT time I knocked out is pretty damn good and it's only after 6/7 hours of play.

You'll be beating all again by the end of the night.

I'll be hopping online very shortly and I won't stop until the early hours. It's the best way to spend a Friday night when you're a broke student waiting for his loan :)

Mad_Ban said:
Finally switched off assists and I can do 1:22 flat laps at Melbourne using the 360 controller (sadly I can't fit a wheel in here :( ).

Nice. People who say you can't be competitive on a controller are wrong. Acrid and I were really fast with controllers last year. We got faster with wheels, but still.

Angst

Decrypting the game! (LTTP) Will be interesting to see what times I can get at the Melbourne circuit.
I'll be happy with 1:24 ish laps

Man, I'm so bad at this. The game is really great and I love the handling, but I'm almost too scared to throw the car around the corners and I fear that I steer too much and spin out. The best I could do was a 1:31 with the Ferrari and 1:34 with the Lotus in Melbourne. I break too early or too late and don't have that feeling for the gas and break. I really have to learn the layout.

S. L.

having only played GT5 with a wheel before, i keep forgetting that f1 cars have 7 gears and not 6 like most cars in gt5 lol.
also the force feedback is a bit underwhelmig compared to gt5 where it was spectacular.

oh well, great fun so far

tipped

Neo Member
Anyone got any suggested settings for MS Wireless Wheel on 360? Not a clue how the available options change the handling characteristics of the wheel.

Manik

I can nail some fairly consistent 1.23.xxx times in Melbourne TT, but I'm convinced that I'll never make it below 1.23 flat. As soon as I try to push the car even a touch more, it loses all traction and spins out of control.

This is on a 360 controller in a Mclaren... Maybe I should give Red Bull a go if the cars aren't even this year...

1-D_FTW

Just purchased. I'll be giving it a proper go later.

And of course Sega decides to unlock Renegade Ops today. Oh, well, at least I only paid 7.50. Don't feel bad it's going to be sitting for a while.

Gaf ID: 1-D_FTW ---- Steam/Live ID: StalkerU

EDIT: Haha. Sega troll FTW. They may be listing it under New Releases, but Renegade Ops got its date pushed into October. At this point, I'm glad.

Angst

fresquito said:
Any good setup for DFGT? Both profiler and in game?

The game is unlocked at least. Too bad I'm quite sleepy at the moment >_<
Anyone? So far the game wants me to hate it, even though I want to love it :(

It feels like I'm remote-controlling a drone piloting an F1 car on Saturnus... press throttle - signal goes out into space - drone receives it 1 second later and presses the throttle.

Any ideas?

Lucius86

Banned
Angst said:
Anyone? So far the game wants me to hate it, even though I want to love it :(

It feels like I'm remote-controlling a drone piloting an F1 car on Saturnus... press throttle - signal goes out into space - drone receives it 1 second later and presses the throttle.

Any ideas?

Do 310 degrees in the logitech profiler, then wack everything in game to 0%, except steering saturation to 10%. Took me a while.

Lucius86

Banned
It's amazing - this game is sooo good already from what I have played - but I know immediately I am going to struggle.

I blame the Pirelli tyres like Webber does.

Top Bottom