• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

1:21.785 in Melbourne with the controller. I dropped about half a second in the third sector though. So if I can improve on the 1st and 2nd sector, I may be able to get that sub 1:21

Lucius and Foliorum co-op career - Race 1: Melbourne

No assists.
All rules on full
Legendary AI

I was faster than him in practice.

1l75n.jpg

It was so tense watching this live with the sector times updating - notice how he matches my sector 2 time exactly!

2279r.jpg

But then, on race day, it was pissing it down.

3m7ti.jpg

Lucius was gutsy and used KERS to take me on the first corner.

4d7dw.jpg

So down this straight I immediately used my KERS to overtake him on the hairpin - very close!

5q78m.jpg

Just at the start of lap 4, after a lot of pushing, Alonso slips by me.

6p76t.jpg

But I managed to use the KERS that I got from going over the line to overtake him on the first corner.

7z7my.jpg

He kept at me - both Ferarris were right on my tail and pressuring me.

8n7yv.jpg

Just before lap 8 I twitched on the last corner and went into the barrier.

9p7wm.jpg

Roseberg was now my target.

10q7hn.jpg

But I pushed too hard again and ended up facing the wrong way.

11o73r.jpg

Then, evidently, Lucius was pushing too hard back in 18th where he was.

12d732.jpg

... And then in a fight with a STR I got too close to the wall and smashed it. My race over, one lap from the end.

13o7f0.jpg

This was the final standing.

14k74d.jpg

And this is how it currently looks between us.

153723.jpg

---

As great as this game is, this is the best thing about it so far. It was great doing practice together, watching our times on the board during qualifying and then racing hard in the soaking wet before, ultimately, crashing out.

I can't wait to do the rest.

Lucius86 said:
Do 310 degrees in the logitech profiler, then wack everything in game to 0%, except steering saturation to 10%. Took me a while.
Interesting. I only tested the game with 270° and standard settings. I hope I can test it tomorrow.

1-D_FTW

I couldn't connect.

And it's crashing like a motherfucker for me. And I was so happy to think windowed mode solved this crap:(

Juicy Bob

Just made my very first DRS overtake online along the main straight at Catalunya. I was catching him throughout the lap and managed to get a run on him out of the chicane. I heard that beautiful, glorious beep in my ear to tell me DRS was available, locked-on target, flicked the wing open and off I went. He tried to squeeze me to the inside, but in fairness to him he left me enough room and I just managed to get by. Felt so fucking awesome! I love this game.

Anyone else started with lotus? Totally forgot about the lack of KERS :-S

Does starting with a higher team change your objectives? u expected to rank higher in quali/race?

Learned Melbourne late last night, improved my lines this afternoon on my lunch break, ran a very sloppy 1:23.6xx after a dozen or so laps. With a full grasp on managing kers/drs, I think mid 1:22s will be my realistic target time tonight. Coming to grips with the quirks of this driving model has been fun.

One more concern, some of the corners seem very lenient in regard to cutting with no penalty.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lucius86 said:
Do 310 degrees in the logitech profiler, then wack everything in game to 0%, except steering saturation to 10%. Took me a while.

Oh goody, yet another game that can't get things right with a logitech wheel.

Seriously, the logitech wheels must be the standard wheels out here, why does it always require alchemy to get them set up properly?

Dibbz

Holy crap I am struggling real bad with Lotus at Melbourne. I can't get below 1:30 and that's with options. Truli is getting 1:28 ish so I need to find 2 seconds but I can't find it anywhere. I failed to get the 5% downforce package in Practice 1 because getting adjusted to the handling took me ages. Racing with ABS but everything else off on legend ai.

Juicy Bob said:
Just made my very first DRS overtake online along the main straight at Catalunya. I was catching him throughout the lap and managed to get a run on him out of the chicane. I heard that beautiful, glorious beep in my ear to tell me DRS was available, locked-on target, flicked the wing open and off I went. He tried to squeeze me to the inside, but in fairness to him he left me enough room and I just managed to get by. Felt so fucking awesome! I love this game.
Yeah, I just did it with f0rk online. It was so awesome pulling up behind him, flicking on the KERS for a bit more of a boost and then pulling out around him.

I also really like trying to keep people more than a second behind... eg, I use the fuck out of my KERS before the activation line!

The odd thing is you were connecting with us fine last night. Crumbs and Henry are too who are equally as far away. :(

It seems a bit random, I couldn't join back last night either.

The only universal thing at the moment seems to be crashes.

S. L.

hmmmm i am really bad at this game.
i have no confidence in the car whatsoever, aside from obvious things like kerbs i have a hard time telling whether my car will stick to the ground or fly off.
crash gallore

;_;
also gfwl is sending my notifications and stuff and wants me to press the "home" button?
what the hell is that supposed to be? i have no home button

S. L. said:
i have no confidence in the car whatsoever, aside from obvious things like kerbs i have a hard time telling whether my car will stick to the ground or fly off.
crash gallore

;_;
also gfwl is sending my notifications and stuff and wants me to press the "home" button?
Home button on your keyboard brings up GFWL overlay.

We were inviting you to races! :)

Angst

S. L. said:
crash gallore

;_;
394279_home_key.jpg

;)

aa, sorry missed your pic. PosEinz it is

AcridMeat

Banned
Kyaw said:
Ok, someone else then. :p

Acrid Meat?

Would love to but the way this shit is going I have a 99% fail rate in joining any games.

I'm re-installing now as a last ditch effort. The game has been pretty buggy too, not just in terms of crashes.

f0rk

My framerate online was awful. All the settings had defaulted to low on directx 11 with a 6950 and 2500k, not sure what's up.

Kyaw

AcridMeat said:
Would love to but the way this shit is going I have a 99% fail rate in joining any games.

I'm re-installing now as a last ditch effort. The game has been pretty buggy too, not just in terms of crashes.

Make it worrkk!!!!

I really hope i get the game tomorrow though. Need to get cracking on Melbourne Practice.

Angst

Somebody at Codie's forums said this about settings for wheels:

"And this is important at the Driving Controls menu the
OVERRIDE INPUT DEVICE TYPE : is Steering wheel"

Haven't tried it, but I'll give it a shot later.

I'm slightly annoyed with the game, it feels more like I'm fighting the controls than the other players. I know (sort of) where to push it and where to brake, but my dude in the car has his own ideas. Kinda like B-spec :p

Lucius' advice sure helped, but it's still not 100%.

Omiee

What the fuck is this shit, im getting solid 60fps with some drops to 50 something with one 6970 activated.
as soon as i activate crossfire my fps goes to 25?
wtf is that about

AcridMeat

Banned
Kyaw said:
Make it worrkk!!!!

I really hope i get the game tomorrow though. Need to get cracking on Melbourne Practice.

As Foli said, these disconnects don't make sense. I'm connecting fine in the lobby, I'm connecting fine on load. The disconnects happen (mostly) after I'm watching introductions to the track/right after the driver sits in the car.

I've been playing in other games with people from Germany/Spain/France/UK/Scotland fine so it really is bullshit.

Angst said:
I'm slightly annoyed with the game, it feels more like I'm fighting the controls than the other players. I know (sort of) where to push it and where to brake, but my dude in the car has his own ideas. Kinda like B-spec :p

You were doing pretty well tonight! We had a few good scraps.

I think the main thing is learning the boundaries. Once you know when to put on the power, when to drift into a corner rather than brake, etc etc the game will click.

You have to remember that most of us you were playing with tonight have put a lotttt of time into 2010.

We just had our first Monaco race tonight just now. Boy was that chaos!

Kyaw

AcridMeat said:
As Foli said, these disconnects don't make sense. I'm connecting fine in the lobby, I'm connecting fine on load. The disconnects happen (mostly) after I'm watching introductions to the track/right after the driver sits in the car.

I've been playing in other games with people from Germany/Spain/France/UK/Scotland fine so it really is bullshit.

It's not fixed even after reinstall?

Also can anyone do videos of Suzuka and/or Monaco please?
Preferably with good driving. :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
We're doing Suzuka now. I can't guarantee good driving, but I will record!

Awesome! Thanks!

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
You were doing pretty well tonight! We had a few good scraps.

I think the main thing is learning the boundaries. Once you know when to put on the power, when to drift into a corner rather than brake, etc etc the game will click.

You have to remember that most of us you were playing with tonight have put a lotttt of time into 2010.

We just had our first Monaco race tonight just now. Boy was that chaos!
I had a good time, especially once we got rid of the randoms in the open lobby. But as mr klaw said, it's weird that I have to sacrifice a newborn to get a Logitech wheel to work properly. Hope a patch is coming soon, I haven't had any crashes yet, but I feel for the guys getting freezes all the time.

Angst said:

I hear you, man. I had a hell of a time getting the game to stop trying to fine-tune my inputs and simply take them as I gave them.

Funky Functionality said:
I also noticed that the steering became less and less 1:1 at higher speeds--I first noticed it in high speed corners when I was getting what seemed to be understeer but was in fact the game simply not matching my steering input, so I put it to the test, and sure enough, I could be hauling ass down a straight and give full-lock input in one direction and get nowhere near that amount of steering input from the game. Setting the "override input device type" option to "steering wheel" fixed the speed-sensitivity steering problem, but not the overzealous assistance with counter-steering input.

For whatever reason, without setting this option, the game doesn't respond accurately to your steering inputs at speed--it wants to lessen your steering input. Setting the device override option to steering wheel keeps it 1:1 regardless of your speed.

Funky Functionality said:
I hear you, man. I had a hell of a time getting the game to stop trying to fine-tune my inputs and simply take them as I gave them.

For whatever reason, without setting this option, the game doesn't respond accurately to your steering inputs at speed--it wants to lessen your steering input. Setting the device override option to steering wheel keeps it 1:1 regardless of your speed.
I hope this will make me somehow faster.

Lucius86 said:
My save game file already got corrupted. Really??
Oh, come on. What is it with Codemaster games and corrupted save files? If it's really GFWL (never happened to me), then how the fuck is this not already patched?

fresquito

Can somebody explain to me why I can't choose what tires to use in practice (Career Mode). Sometimes it locks me in my used slicks, then it doesn't allow me to use my used options. But when it's about heavy rain of intermediates, I have the full amount of tires to choose from (I'm playing HRT, BTW).

Thanks for the race guys. I had to go as I've got football in the morning. I kept destroying my tyres at that hairpin in Suzuka. One day I'll get it right!

Sorry if my driving seemed twitchy. I'll get myself a wheel soon hopefully.

Salacious Crumb

Setting override input device type to 'steering wheel' and setting every advanced wheel option to 0% seems to be giving me the truest 1:1 wheel input. If you're having any trouble with your wheel try giving that a go.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh boy. It was a good race to record. You're in for a treat :p

Also, I'm really enjoying racing with the new guys. The fresh blood is great!
Yeah, it's great to see some new names on the races, and a few of you are bloody fast.

I am looking forward to our league now. F1 2010 was good, F1 2011 promises to be fantastic, once a few online bugs are resolved.

S. L.

Angst said:
Somebody at Codie's forums said this about settings for wheels:

Haven't tried it, but I'll give it a shot later.

holy shit! suddenly the cars don't ride like sea mammals anymore and i can drive laps without crashing every other corner!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom