• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Dibbz

Does anyone have any footage of practice or qualifying with no assists, fuel and tyre sim on with the bottom 3 teams? I found a couple of videos on youtube but I swear I'm driving a lot better than some of them yet they are posting times 4 seconds quicker than mine in a Lotus. :|

HenryHSH

Online was fun today.

My first race in Melbourne was my favorite, I started at the back, passed a few and watched 2 cars spin in front of me then overtook Lucius at the start finish straight using DRS for the win. Got a message from a spectator afterwards telling me how awesome that was. (Lobby was still public at that point)

I need to practice the rest of the tracks though. It took me about 6 laps to start posting fastest times in catalunya before StopIt beat my time in the final lap. :(

As for the technical side of online, it's pretty bad right now. People dropping constantly and clients crashing. The lag is pretty bad at times too. Spectating is a mess and I've had an instance where I was still stuck at red lights when everyone else took off at the start...

Shaneus

Well, I've been giving this a go on and off over the last few days after struggling with graphic performance. My stats that flash up are laughable to say the least, but keep in mind I do a lot of restarts during a TT:

Time on track: 3:35
Crashes: 27

Whoops.

dubc35

Is a crash considered when you leave the tarmac? Some of my stats came up and I was surprised how many times it said I had crashed.

Frawdder

I'll just leave this here...
Uaupc.jpg

There is a setup glitch

Edit: Just went quicker - 1:19.325

Iknos

Played for about 3 hours and I haven't even finished my first race yet.

And thats just fine with me.

Running on PS3 with G27. I was ready to trade in this version for the 360 one since this has nasty jaggies on the PS3. Framerate is also disappointing.

But I was playing in cockpit view with HUD turned off. So with the jaggies I couldn't read the corners properly as I'm not familiar with Melbourne on the ground.

When I changed to TV view which is over the head of the driver the jaggies interfered less and I was able to read the corners better. I also bit the bullet and turned on the racing line.

So an hour later I was more comfortable at driving than before.

Then I committed time to learn the trackfrom the ground. I wasnt happy with the Force India car and tried Team Lotus instead and I am much more happy with how it feels.

Here is one reason why I haven't finished a race. Playing for an hour I could not crack under 2:33 a lap.

I have all assists turned off and all wheel settings at 0% which I think feels very direct and appropriate. TCS might help me push the car more but it doesn't make a 7 second difference. I am probably not carrying speed at the right corners but I feel like I know how to push every corner pretty good.

So i settle for that time and race from 12th This is on easy difficulty btw I'm thinking of changing that after a season. And yes I changed my assists after I set the difficulty that was a rude surprise.

I note that I'm able to keep up with everyone at all corners except one where if I push the car I will spin with no chance of saving it. All other corners I'm right on that edge and I'm keeping up with the CPU which is on easy.

The only problem is that during a 12 lap race I have yet to finish a race because I push too hard and wipe out.

So I figure with more practice I'll be able to post more competitive times but also think I have to study someone elses laps.

I shuffle steer so I had to relearn how to drive with hands on the 3 and 9 o clock positions. I think that after 3 hours I'm much more used to it than before.

So I'm excited. Love the race weekend experience. Love the difficulty and concentration required. I've only played a couple of tracks but the season tracklist looks great. India will be interesting. Flag and penalty systems are great thus far until I inevitably encounter some issue with them.

Codies is living up to what the ideal F1 game should be like. Like everyone I was concerned when they got the exclusive license but they're showing me that there aren't many that would have done it better anyways.

When I heard Codies was getting an exclusive license I was disappointed.

I'm fine with that. It just means I need more practice and

Iknos

Posting from phone it screws up my posts and I can't edit them so bear with all the stuff that dot make sense. lol

foogles

I'm just trying to fiddle around in the career as I suck at F1 games and am trying to get a handle on these things' power and speed, but when I complete the practice or qualifying sessions and do the load back to the garage, more likely than not the game crashes to desktop with an error. Anyone else getting this? If I quit out of practice or qualifying in mid-session and drop back to the garage, it's just fine.

Specs: Core i7-950 CPU, 2x GTX460 1GB in SLI, 6GB DDR3 RAM, running off a 60GB SSD, Win7 x64.

Kyaw

Just got my copy through the post!

Installing now. Dis gunna be gud.
I just hope i don't get those horrible bugs and game freezes.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
HenryHSH said:
Online was fun today.

My first race in Melbourne was my favorite, I started at the back, passed a few and watched 2 cars spin in front of me then overtook Lucius at the start finish straight using DRS for the win. Got a message from a spectator afterwards telling me how awesome that was. (Lobby was still public at that point)

I need to practice the rest of the tracks though. It took me about 6 laps to start posting fastest times in catalunya before StopIt beat my time in the final lap. :(

As for the technical side of online, it's pretty bad right now. People dropping constantly and clients crashing. The lag is pretty bad at times too. Spectating is a mess and I've had an instance where I was still stuck at red lights when everyone else took off at the start...
Yeah, once we actually get into the races it is good but drop outs are too common and spectating is a buggy mess too.

I enjoyed that race in Catalunya. I noticed you were setting a few hot laps (I started on Primes and went for Options at the end) so for the last lap I stuck my fuel mix to rich and really went for it. If the league ends up with tactical battles like we have seen glimpses of last night, it's going to be a good one.

Orgun

Angst said:
Somebody at Codie's forums said this about settings for wheels:

"And this is important at the Driving Controls menu the
OVERRIDE INPUT DEVICE TYPE : is Steering wheel"

Haven't tried it, but I'll give it a shot later.

I'm slightly annoyed with the game, it feels more like I'm fighting the controls than the other players. I know (sort of) where to push it and where to brake, but my dude in the car has his own ideas. Kinda like B-spec :p

Lucius' advice sure helped, but it's still not 100%.
Bless you sir! That override thing has solved all the issues I had with the wheel feel

fresquito

I'm doing long weekends, 20% race laps and I'm somewhat stuck in Australia. First I had some weird problems not being able to use the tyres I wanted to use. Then I got a weird penalty (black flag, you're disqualified, etc). The funny thing is the flag appeared when I was exiting boxes, but everything was automated, so I don't know what happened there. I rage quit and started again. After practice two, I'm having good results with my HRT (normal dificulty), but I've blown my car in both sessions.

Does anybody know why you can't use diferent tyres through diferent sessions? For istance, if you use slicks, in practice one, those used slicks will be locked in practice two.

Frawdder

fresquito said:
I'm doing long weekends, 20% race laps and I'm somewhat stuck in Australia. First I had some weird problems not being able to use the tyres I wanted to use. Then I got a weird penalty (black flag, you're disqualified, etc). The funny thing is the flag appeared when I was exiting boxes, but everything was automated, so I don't know what happened there. I rage quit and started again. After practice two, I'm having good results with my HRT (normal dificulty), but I've blown my car in both sessions.

Does anybody know why you can't use diferent tyres through diferent sessions? For istance, if you use slicks, in practice one, those used slicks will be locked in practice two.
It's a rule in Formula 1 that you have to give back tyres at the end of the practice sessions

Martin Brundle explains it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP6HurO-608

Basically
End of P1 - Hand back 1 set of Primes
End of P2 - Hand back 1 set of Primes and 1 set of Options
End of P3 - Hand back 1 set of Primes and 1 set of Options

Stop It

Well, not the fastest, but using a wheel setup from RD (And overriding the wheel as described by Orgun) has helped a bit, gives the wheel a bit more feel.

2011-09-24_000015u3l.jpg

Deadman

Ive been driving on the new India track quite a bit and its really nice, especially the middle section. Hopefully the real race will be as fun as it is to play.

I need to improve my time on Melbourne, clearly.

Edit: Frawdder's time in insane. I don't know how he did that racing his ghost :\

What's your setup mate? Do share!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I need to improve my time on Melbourne, clearly.

Edit: Frawdder's time in insane. I don't know how he did that racing his ghost :

What's your setup mate? Do share!
Both springs on 11. I'm going to try it out when I get home. Apparantly it gives you much better speed through the faster corners.

I saw your ghost as well mate. If you don't mind me saying, you lost almost half a second in the corner before last.

Frawdder

Bungieware said:
Both springs on 11. I'm going to try it out when I get home. Apparantly it gives you much better speed through the faster corners.
This guy's got it.

Having front and rear spring stiffness set at 11 makes the car on rails, apparently. Some are claiming to go through Eau Rouge flat out with DRS open.

Codemasters :(

stewy

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my G27 working with this game on the PS3. It just won't recognize the wheel at all.

Juicy Bob

Do they even test these games before they release them? I love this game but there's already a potentially game-ruining bug? Bloody hell...

I think a patch is in order.

- Crashes
- Connection issues online
- Godlike setup
- AI apparently having TC in wet

It's an awesome game, but those are all big issues. The crashes and online connection especially for most of us.

Kyaw

I've got 1.23.0xx earlier in TT.
Only been playing for about 3 hours and i've got a manflu. :(

Anyone got a good setup?
Singapore Quali for now though!

Frawdder

Juicy Bob said:
Do they even test these games before they release them? I love this game but there's already a potentially game-ruining bug? Bloody hell...
Yeah, it's a wonder.

The godly AI and now setup glitches, it's like last year all over again. Even with the unrealistic lap times I still enjoy hot lapping and trying to better my times but my career has been put on hold, I don't want to have to change the difficulty every session or turn assists on.

Juicy Bob

A lot of people on the CodeMasters forums have also been complaining about the graphics on PS3. I've not really been that worried about them but apparently the frame rate can get horrific around places like Monaco. I've not been around Monaco yet, but I think I'll do a quick race there after Qualifying and try it out myself.

I don't have an issue with 30FPS, just as long as it's solid. Surely this game can manage that on a PS3?

Juicy Bob said:
I don't have an issue with 30FPS, just as long as it's solid. Surely this game can manage that on a PS3?

visuals over stability is codemasters game.

last years version was awful and so is 2011, when bunched up and during replays the framerate must surely hit around 15-20fps. it's a complete joke.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I dunno, once it's got a little bit more well known everyone will have it so we'll all be equal anyway!

Huh, this explains why me and Staab felt a lot more comfortable in the cars once we increased our setups to 8/8. For our next session I guess its time o crank it up to 11

Juicy Bob

Wow. The 11:11 stiffness setting really makes a difference. I've just tried it and it's instantly 2 seconds a lap faster with sloppy laps. That's going to ruin online.

Stop It

Foliorum Viridum said:
http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2011-setups/

This will be your friend. Obviously anything other than 11-11 will give you a disadvantage until it's fixed, though.

I never do my own setups, I always nick them from Lucius/Race Department :)
Yep. While the setup I used to get my current time was taken from Lucius, RD is a great source of setups.

Of course I hope the 11:11 spring issue is fixed ASAP, but even if it isn't by the time the league starts, all we need to do is mandate the same setups for everyone to ensure equality in the qualifying/races.

Mad_Ban

Cheers for the link Foliorum :)

Even after setting the springs to 11, I've only found around 5 tenths extra over what I was running before. Looks like more practice is in order :p

mocoworm

Can anyone report on the state of online play on the xbox360? With last years performing so poorly I am interested to know before I get this early next week.

Kyaw

Is it me or is the performance sort of poor?

I have everything max, 1080 and 2xMSAA and the first career race/pit was hovering around 30-50. When i'm alone on the less demanding parts of Melbourne, i get 70+.

Might tweak some stuff.

Top Bottom