• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Deadman

I think qualifying times are just generated again. 3 minutes to go and the fastest time is webber with 1.34.2, which i beat with 1.32.9. Then 30 seconds later alonso does a 1.30.4 yay.

HenryHSH

Well, the 11/11 is disappointing to hear. I tried time trial for a few laps before I had to leave. (Used Lucius' ghost) Now I won't bother and hopefully Codies reset the leaderboards and fix this shit. :(

Stop It said:
Yeah, once we actually get into the races it is good but drop outs are too common and spectating is a buggy mess too.

I enjoyed that race in Catalunya. I noticed you were setting a few hot laps (I started on Primes and went for Options at the end) so for the last lap I stuck my fuel mix to rich and really went for it. If the league ends up with tactical battles like we have seen glimpses of last night, it's going to be a good one.

Yeah spectating is ridiculous. FV's Force India is always burning rubber.

I like to finish on Options when I have the choice. I was surprised that I was setting hot laps with my Primes earlier too, especially when I had to relearn the track. I did finish last after all.

Also, if anyone is looking for a COOP partner on the weekends, PM or message me on steam.

Urgh. Just had connection issues after a random crash.

I'm really conflicted with this game. When we're in and racing it's great, I had two great battles just now with Dilly and Phleg, but then you get all of this bullshit around that fantastic racing which just makes it so annoying to get to the next race.

I was going to post info on the qualifying session for the league, but to be honest I don't think we can have a league in this state. We need to wait for a patch.

Hell, even my XP is glitched. I've beaten every target set for me in the last few races, had no penalties and didn't have contact yet I'm still rank 1. I don't care about my rank, it's just another example of how the game feels broken.

Adamm

So just played online for the first time. Also just played without any assists for the first time! lol

Needless to say i was terrible - but it was still good fun.

But whats with the penalties? Some one spins off the track & you go past them while they are facing the wrong way & its an illegal overtake? what??
What do they want you to do, stop and wait while they sort themselves out :(

The penalties dont really effect me at the moment as im already about 2 laps down when the races finishing, but its still annoying

Mad_Ban

I hope I'm not the only person in the Gaf lobbies using 11/11 :( I assumed everyone else would be using it given how much nicer it feels so I hope I haven't been winning because of a glitch D:

Angst

Adamm said:
So just played online for the first time. Also just played without any assists for the first time! lol

Needless to say i was terrible - but it was still good fun.

But whats with the penalties? Some one spins off the track & you go past them while they are facing the wrong way & its an illegal overtake? what??
What do they want you to do, stop and wait while they sort themselves out :(

The penalties dont really effect me at the moment as im already about 2 laps down when the races finishing, but its still annoying
Yeah the penalties are a mess. I went off track all alone, waited off track to let other cars by and the game decided to give me a 10 grid positions penalty. And when an AI car wants to overtake after I've been off track I stay way over off the race line, with the AI car on the other side of the track - illegal blocking.

This is a mess :(

HenryHSH

What kind of testing do they do at Codemasters? You keep hearing how they always race each other around the office. Do they not run into this bullshit? It took me less than an hour to run into 4 major bugs, we're talking game breaking.

Surely, they're aware of these bugs before they ship...

KB8g8.jpg

big dude leaning on the desk KNOWS!

fresquito

Angst said:
Yeah the penalties are a mess. I went off track all alone, waited off track to let other cars by and the game decided to give me a 10 grid positions penalty. And when an AI car wants to overtake after I've been off track I stay way over off the race line, with the AI car on the other side of the track - illegal blocking.

This is a mess :(
Tell me about it. I enter the box in practice session. I change my tires to options. I exit the box and when I'm still in the pit lane a black flag appears and tells me I did a dangerous move and I've been disqualified. I entered the box through the pause menu and I have pits automated. So go figure what happened there.

On the positive side, these look like flaws that are easy to fix. The driving model is great and overall, it feels very good. They have to fix flags, wet TC for AI, setup bugs and crashes as fast as possible, then some other minor bug fixes and we're ready to go. (online is a mess I hear, but I haven't tried that).

ok, qualified in pole and start in tenth with no penalties!!!! WTF

Ahhhh ok, spin the sit stationary until cars pass then turn, ten point penalty (different race to above) !!!!! WTF

fresquito

cowden_harley said:
ok, qualified in pole and start in tenth with no penalties!!!! WTF

Ahhhh ok, spin the sit stationary until cars pass then turn, ten point penalty (different race to above) !!!!! WTF
I have set my flags and penalties to flexible. It feels not as unfair as what they call realistic.

Kyaw

Getting fuck awful performance online. 20-30fps. WTF MAN!?

Updating drivers to latest beta ones now...
SP is fine. Although my first Melbourne race, i ran out of fuel. ><

EDIT: Got 1.19.5xx in TT at Melbourne just now.

Angst

Kyaw said:
Getting fuck awful performance online. 20-30fps. WTF MAN!?

Updating drivers to latest beta ones now...
SP is fine. Although my first Melbourne race, i ran out of fuel. ><

EDIT: Got 1.19.5xx in TT at Melbourne just now.
I have to question how fucked up the physics / car data etc are in the game when people get lap times sub 1:19 at Albert Park when Vettel did 1:23.5 in quali this year.

f0rk

Angst said:
I have to question how fucked up the physics are in the game when people get lap times sub 1:19 at Albert Park when the official track record is 1:24 and Vettel did 1:23.5 this year.

It's the 11/11 suspension.

Kyaw

Angst said:
I have to question how fucked up the physics / car data etc are in the game when people get lap times sub 1:19 at Albert Park when the official track record is 1:24 and Vettel did 1:23.5 this year.

Arcade bro. F1 2011 isn't a simulator unfortunately.

Oh and that 11/11 suspension thing.

Salacious Crumb

May as well just give me the championship now lads, there's no point in competing.

kT0E0.png

That was a pure timing glitch, I didn't use any hacks or anything, I just started to notice I was 4-5 seconds down on my own time at the first split no matter what I did, I quit out and see that I have a 21 second lap time. I hope I don't get banned from GFWL cause they think I'm cheating or something.

pmj

Yikes!

Right now I'm very happy that I didn't buy this game day 1. Unlike last time, the patch better actually fix the game.

amar212

Wet AI is still my greatest issue.

I am having a blast carrer races as long as weather is dry. Racing heaven, from idea to execution. But once it starts raining whole magic just dissappears with Godlike AI.

It certainly looks like Codemasters did a great job and improved on the solid basis they had last year, but fucked up at the same time.

Which F1 team would they be?

Dibbz

Had an awesome qualifying session in Malaysia. Q1 in the Lotus and I was getting caught up in traffic, other cars were riding hot on my tail and were forcing me off the racing line all the while I was wearing down my new set of softs.

I was 23rd with a 1:38 with my team mate sitting in 21st at a 1:37.7. It just so happened that 21st was my objective set by the team. There was 5 minutes left to go and I pulled into the pits changed my fuel load to 3 laps adjusted some brake balance, put on a new set of softs. and hit the track. As I was making my way round there was a Force India and a Torro Rosso, I think, ahead of me. Behind me was another car but I didn't check to see what it was.

So there is like 1:20 to go when 4 cars including me cross the line to enter what is now the final lap of Q1. I've set my fuel to rich and try to push as hard as I can. At this stage the Force India and Torro are slightly ahead which gives me enough space to not get slowed down by them. I'm trying to brake late as possible and keep with them and they keep pulling away on exits. Going well so far as I've got some distance between us but I figured I should be able to put a fast lap in without getting held up.

I get to sector 3 not sure the turn number but it's the right turn that's like Turn 8 from Turkey and leads to a sharp left turn followed by a sweeping right. At this stage both cars ahead are fighting for the inside line.They are literally side by side going into the sharp left turn. They are holding each other up and I'm right behind them now.

We get to the long straight before the final turn and they both begin to pull away from me. Both cars ahead of me are side by side again fighting to get ahead of each other for the last turn. I get there with enough braking distance between us all and make the turn whack my DRS on grab some slipstream off the Force India and cross the line with a 1:37.5 taking 21st from my team mate.

I was in awe.

Then I started the race from 24th because I got a 10 place penalty because I span out in practice and tried to spin around to face the right way. :(

Mad_Ban

How do you copy someones setup from the time trial leaderboards? I assume you can use them in some way and it's not a tease?

mocoworm said:
Can anyone report on the state of online play on the xbox360? With last years performing so poorly I am interested to know before I get this early next week.

I played about 10 races online and had a great time. Didn't notice anything wrong. Other than my poor racing skills, everything seemed pretty smooth.

I didn't play it online last year so I can't make any comparisons.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, I'm glad I didn't buy the game day 1 (unlike last year) "thanks" to my pc needing to be fixed (overheating issues), because this game's a mess.
How disappointing, this sounds a lot like last year's bugs galore

Got it at Frys on the PS3 for 45 bucks. I am really inconsistent in this game and playing it on medium with some assists off. 13th in Australia then 1st in Malaysia .

Ravenn17

Anybody else's steam purchase/download sort of incomplete? I have no icon in my games list, and no news regarding the game under the title.

I haven't played this since Thursday evening when it arrived. I've no intention in spending half of my play time reloading the game after it decides to crash during loading, and really can't be arsed having to play around a load of massive bugs either.

After last year, I swore I'd wait on the next game to see what state it was in before I purchased it, but sadly I fell for their 2011 hyperbole. But this is it, no way am I buying 2012 at launch, if at all.

fresquito

Ravenn17 said:
Anybody else's steam purchase/download sort of incomplete? I have no icon in my games list, and no news regarding the game under the title.
It happens to me and a friend of mine too.

I'm hooked to this game. However, I don't understand what Codies were thinking when they made engie comentaries for the game. I'm on HRT, I do my first practice session, I end up 19, a seconde ahead of Virgin, Lotus and my mate, 25 cents away from Toro Rosso, and the guy tells me "we're too low". What the fuck? I'm running a damn HRT, what were you expecting? Besides, asking you to finish 17 in some races is laughable. Nobody can expect that a HRT needs to finish 17. That means beating Force India, Williams or Toro Rosso too. And since there're hardly incidents during races, you have to overtake them. It's not very reasonable.

I guess they expected nobody would pick up HRT...

Edit: Does anybody have problems when exiting the game? GFWL remains open and if I don't close it manually I can't quit Steam.

deim0s

Gah... GF bought an asian PS3 copy - so I made an Asian account:

Wondering if it's possible for me to just buy a VIP pass on the US playstation store using my Asian region of the game?

If anyone on PS3 F12011GAF wants to add my ID is: godoftofu

Codies, wth with the instant reverse!!!

Done 4 GP's now in 2011, and as an average skilled player that spend a fair bit of time with 2010, I'd say this is a really nice upgrade to the game.

New handling model is really, really good. You can attack the corners much more than last year, without the random "kerb of death", but its still got that push it too far and you're screwed feeling.

I play with all help off (ABS etc), long weekend, AI on intermediate, 20% races and 4 flashbacks. it's a really nice way to play. P,Q & R all mean each race takes about an hour.

The qualifying & AI seems less random than last time as well, in 2010 I'd be 22'nd some races, and 2nd the next. This one I seem to be positioning 15-20 in the Lotus on average, which I'd say is fine. In fact, the AI on normal difficulty seems much more aggressive. Not sure if it's my lack of Kers, but I find sometimes that I'll be holding the pack up with them constantly trying to get past, whilst I struggle to hold onto 11th place, eventually conceding some positions as the race ends.

Feels bad man, when you're fighting for your life and 3 cars pass you in five laps, but that's part of the game I suppose :)

The new Parc Firme rules have caught me out twice now. Did a dry quali and forgot to set my car up for the wet race the next day, so I'm slipping around for fun now on race day. Might have to retire I think :-(

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576683235371843770/473EA514DDDD7B6ECC961EE1CF38BD96FA33A670/

Two cars crashed BEFORE the game lets you control them. I couldn't believe it when I looked behind me.

Nice.
Well, this is proving to be rather frustrating online.

Drop outs, weird lag, the above and cheaters are now evident. Me and FV were playing online and a player was bashing into everyone, warping around 1.s ahead (The guy was behind 2 of us at Canada then suddenly on the pit straight he was ahead despite us doing the wall of champions well) at will and disregarding the fact he was racing online. Thankfully the game was DQ'ing him for corner cutting 50% of the time but it's a worrying sign.

Kyaw

Too much warping and shitty netcode...

COOP sucks too. It's fine when only GAF peeps play though.
Although Acrid was lagging all over the place this morning.

Top Bottom