• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kyaw said:
Too much warping and shitty netcode...

COOP sucks too. It's fine when only GAF peeps play though.
Although Acrid was lagging all over the place this morning.
Indeed, I think some peoples connections are not helping matters.

On a related note, nobody has asked me if I wanted to play co-op as yet. I am open to offers guys! :(

Kyaw

Stop It said:
Indeed, I think some peoples connections are not helping matters.

On a related note, nobody has asked me if I wanted to play co-op as yet. I am open to offers guys! :(

I can play some COOP with you. :)
Your connection should be better than Acrid at least!

Massa

deim0s said:
Gah... GF bought an asian PS3 copy - so I made an Asian account:

Wondering if it's possible for me to just buy a VIP pass on the US playstation store using my Asian region of the game?

If anyone on PS3 F12011GAF wants to add my ID is: godoftofu

Codies, wth with the instant reverse!!!

Usually that does not work. For 99% of the PS3 games the DLC has to be from the same region as the disc. For actually playing the game the account region doesn't matter.

Speaking of, is there a free trial for the online mode that doesn't require the online pass? With all these issues I want to give it a try ahead of redeeming it.

Stop It

Kyaw said:
I can play some COOP with you. :)
Your connection should be better than Acrid at least!
Heh. Well I'll be about later this evening and after work on weekdays if you want to play :)

Anyway, awaiting FV's video now. I'm worried that the game can't even get results right, which would be a key issue if we want to have our league running smoothly.

Kyaw

Stop It said:
Heh. Well I'll be about later this evening and after work on weekdays if you want to play :)

Anyway, awaiting FV's video now. I'm worried that the game can't even get results right, which would be a key issue if we want to have our league running smoothly.

Wanna roll in about 20 minutes?

Adamm

FUUUUUUUUU...!!!

Was doing career mode. Wet malaysian track & after a spin on the first corner put me in last place i managed to battle my way to 4th!

and on the last lap of the race my game froze :(

I wish codemasters would play thier game at least once before releasing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuR0-l15QTc

I know the overtake on the last corner was pretty dodgy, so I'm not saying I deserved to win, but look at how I cross the line miles ahead of him, the game says I win for a moment on the leaderboard and then changes its mind.

I did NOT get a time penalty at all, either. I stopped recording when the video cut off but Stop It was in the game and saw that I didn't.

Random things like that, disconnects, crashes, getting deducted XP when someone else rams you, broken safety car/AI etc etc all add up to a broken online.

It needs to be patched ASAP. There's nothing else that can be said.

sneaky77

Foliorum Viridum said:

I know the overtake on the last corner was pretty dodgy, so I'm not saying I deserved to win, but look at how I cross the line miles ahead of him, the game says I win for a moment on the leaderboard and then changes its mind.

I did NOT get a time penalty at all, either. I stopped recording when the video cut off but Stop It was in the game and saw that I didn't.

Random things like that, disconnects, crashes, getting deducted XP when someone else rams you, broken safety car/AI etc etc all add up to a broken online.

it looks like a black flag display when you look in your rear view mirror.. but yeah didnt seem that bad

sneaky77 said:
it looks like a black flag display when you look in your rear view mirror.. but yeah didnt seem that bad
Nope, it's a corner cutting warning, which is fair enough. I did push it a bit too hard there (first time using DRS to overtake so I wasn't sure how much I could throw the car in). I remained second, so I wasn't DQ'd.

sneaky77

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nope, it's a corner cutting warning, which is fair enough. I did push it a bit too hard there (first time using DRS to overtake so I wasn't sure how much I could throw the car in). I remained second, so I wasn't DQ'd.

aren't you supposed to give a position back if you cut the corner? I mean I am no disputing the game has a lot of bugs. I am keeping an eye on the thread cause I am interested in it.

If you're racing like a gent, then yes, but as Stop It said we were racing with randoms and everyone was ramming each other etc. It was hardly the race where I was going to stop and hand it back because I'd be rammed out of first twice already, haha.

I mean, I don't think it was that bad of a cut, either. I gave him a lot of room and only mounted the curbs a bit. I didn't go flat out over the corner etc.

When we're all racing together then yeah we let people have their positions back, that's why it's always preferable to play in a private lobby with GAFers!

Ah!

Well, it's possible, I suppose. I'm doubtful they'd have a system in place for that, though, since they never ask you to give back a position at any point in the race.

Orgun

Great, all of a sudden the game crashes when loading. Does it every time as soon as it gets to loading after all the intro rubbish.

deim0s

Massa said:
Speaking of, is there a free trial for the online mode that doesn't require the online pass? With all these issues I want to give it a try ahead of redeeming it.

VIP pass is pretty much mandatory, it'll ask you on starting the game to redeem or buy or cancel. Then checks later on the MP menu.

I'll just migrate to a Steam version soon.

Few races online on the PS3... damnit there are a lots of missiles on the first corners. Deliberately rammin on your sides, and the damn game stewards just gives you a penalty! :/

Orgun

Couple of videos from my first race at Melbourne

Race replay - I hope some one finds a way to mod the camera change frequency and reduce the camera shake.

Pitting

I did have a video of the heavy rain qualification I did but youtube seems to have lost it and I can't be bothered to wait for the upload again.

Stop It

Kyaw said:
Wanna roll in about 20 minutes?
Well, that went badly

My and Kyaw were having a great race, never more than 2 seconds apart (Kyaw was winning) and because we both decide to pit at the same time, the game goes crazy. Firstly it (of course) makes me wait, but then the pit crew do not change my tyres, and as I leave the pits the game tells me to pit again.

GRGRGGRGRGRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Kyaw

Stop It said:
Well, that went badly

My and Kyaw were having a great race, never more than 2 seconds apart (Kyaw was winning) and because we both decide to pit at the same time, the game goes crazy. Firstly it (of course) makes me wait, but then the pit crew do not change my tyres, and as I leave the pits the game tells me to pit again.

GRGRGGRGRGRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Yeah... shit needs to be fixed man!

I am seriously starting to think CM never beta tested this game.
The driving, the sound and the physics is amazing but all these bugs make it almost unplayable atm.

For me the worst is the shitty performance. I have EVERYTHING on ULTRA LOW and 720P and still getting under 60fps. WTF MAN?!

Kyaw said:
Yeah... shit needs to be fixed man!

I am seriously starting to think CM never beta tested this game.
The driving, the sound and the physics is amazing but all these bugs make it almost unplayable atm.

For me the worst is the shitty performance. I have EVERYTHING on ULTRA LOW and 720P and still getting under 60fps. WTF MAN?!
You sure your hardware is okay?

Kyaw said:
I had that problem. Got 28 avg fps with 23 on the low. Then I reinstalled Windows and it's pretty good now. 58 avg with drops to 53 in the benchmark. That's what you get when you're running an experimental installation for almost two years, I guess. :D

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:
You sure your hardware is okay?

Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.6ghz
GTX480 1.5gb
4GB RAM

How can it be not okay? :(

brotkasten said:
I had that problem. Got 28 avg fps with 23 on the low. Then I reinstalled Windows and it's pretty good now. 58 avg with drops to 53 in the benchmark. That's what you get when you're running an experimental installation for almost two years, I guess. :D

I have Windows 7 Ultimate though.
I might reinstall in anticipation for BF3 beta too. Got too much bloatware and crap after about 4 years.

I know you have good specs, I mean is everything running okay? Performance good with other games etc.

Unless it is your build of Windows there's no reason for you not to be getting 1000fps with those settings.

Could. Try it now :p

Probably isn't your hardware and just some weird random issue though. I'd just run another game, check temps, etc if I was getting horrible performance like that on a game. You never know if your GPU has melted or something!

Stop It

Kyaw said:
Well, i could run BC2 at 60fps+ with everything maxxed and 4xMSAA.
In that case. I would remove your graphics drivers fully using Driver Sweeper or similar before installing the latest set. Then get CCleaner etc and try that. If all else fails, a good old Windows reinstall may help. Going by your specs you should easily get 60+ FPS so something may be harming things.

Get MSI Afterburner, and see what GPU usage is in game. it's it's very low then there could be utilisation issues, which may be solved by the above.

Kyaw

Bloody great... reinstalled drivers and got around 40-70fps from the benchmark with everything maxxed and 4xMSAA.

Now freezing at the first loading screen...

fresquito

Kyaw said:
Bloody great... reinstalled drivers and got around 40-70fps from the benchmark with everything maxxed and 4xMSAA.

Now freezing at the first loading screen...
I had freezing issues too. It turned ou my autosave was corrupted (I hadn't even finished my first GP x-D)

So I finished Melbourne GP. Doing Long weekends, 50% race. I finished 16th with HRT. I had a fantastic start, then kept my place for as long as I could. Two stops later I entered the finish line with joy.

Then it comkes the interview after the GP and they ask me if I will be fighting for the championship. Yeah, of course... It's awesome, because you can only start with a low tier team and they still ask you if you see yourself fighting for the championship.

I've got to ask myself if Codies play their own game before relase (it's obvious they do, but they pretend they don't).

Orgun

fresquito said:
I had freezing issues too. It turned ou my autosave was corrupted (I hadn't even finished my first GP x-D)

So I finished Melbourne GP. Doing Long weekends, 50% race. I finished 16th with HRT. I had a fantastic start, then kept my place for as long as I could. Two stops later I entered the finish line with joy.

Then it comkes the interview after the GP and they ask me if I will be fighting for the championship. Yeah, of course... It's awesome, because you can only start with a low tier team and they still ask you if you see yourself fighting for the championship.

I've got to ask myself if Codies play their own game before relase (it's obvious they do, but they pretend they don't).

I had the same thing but I had done practice, quali and the melbourne race and then had to do it again. This time I said fuck it to quali, loaded a setup with 11/11 for the race and went from 24th to 2nd.

Ark

felipepl said:
I'm glad I didn't pre-ordered this time.
Codemasters Birmingham, what a bunch of jokers.

\o/

I'd love to play it, but yeah. A combination of money and the inevitable bugs from a Codies game put me off buying it on release. If it's on sale around Christmas, I'll buy it possibly.

felipepl said:
I'm glad I didn't pre-ordered this time.
Codemasters Birmingham, what a bunch of jokers.

Yeah... I had a bad bad feeling about it. It's why I didn't buy it on Steam and told a friend to just buy me an international copy and send me the key. Not bad for a $25 game. Anything else would be abysmal.

For future sake: whoever is making the next F1 game, please get the A.I. right, the rules right, the penalties right and the damage right. As of now, PS3's Formula One: Championship Edition is yet to be beaten.

That said, let me know when GAF plays. Should be fun playing online with GAF, I presume, especially from all the horror stories I've been hearing about opponents crashing into you and you getting the penalty.

Kyaw

Just restarted Melbourne GP. Got around 60fps with 4xMSAA and ultra.
The game is only using around 60-70% of my GPU. :/

Tempted to reinstall windows.

Massa

deim0s said:
VIP pass is pretty much mandatory, it'll ask you on starting the game to redeem or buy or cancel. Then checks later on the MP menu.

I'll just migrate to a Steam version soon.

Ouch, that sucks. :-/

Game is fun but it runs at sub-30fps on the PS3. Normally I wouldn't mind but for a racing game this means I'll have had enough of it really soon, I think.

Juicy Bob

Foliorum Viridum said:

Isn't that an issue with the game syncing between players? As in, when the game lags so that the lights go out at slightly different times for different players. That means that while you may be on the same position on track, your race time may be say 08:23.123 while the other guy's race time is a second less because the race 'started' on his system a second after it did on yours? Does that make sense?

It happened a few times for me on F1 2010. I was in races where when the lights go out and one or two players wouldn't move off the grid for a moment or two. Then when I took the line ahead of them when they were right behind me, the results screen would show them being ahead because their total 'race' time was actually less than mine. Sounds to me like that might be the same issue here.

It's possible. I've definitely had the start light issue in 2010, but never had a win stolen from me like that.

Maybe it is that, but at the moment there's so much wrong online it was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back!

I'm glad the BF3 beta is starting soon because that will distract me and then hopefully a patch will be out. I want to get our league going.

Peterthumpa

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's possible. I've definitely had the start light issue in 2010, but never had a win stolen from me like that.

Maybe it is that, but at the moment there's so much wrong online it was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back!

I'm glad the BF3 beta is starting soon because that will distract me and then hopefully a patch will be out. I want to get our league going.
You remember the rage on Codies forums last year when the first and only patch was released for F12010 and it actually broke more things than it fixed?

+ 1 more reason why I didn't pre-ordered. I remember checking their forum once per day for news about a patch that took so long to be available that I just lost interest for the game.

Anyway... let's see this time.

Into Canada on my single player run through... Missed a few objectives due ro retirement at monaco (dat turn before the tunnel) and another race.

Think I found a glitch where I used a rewind at Monaco Q1, was consistently getting 1:22's crashed out and my reset gave me a lap of 1:18... There's no way I made up 3 seconds with the splits I was getting.

Seems in 2011 though your rewinds are on a per-session basis.

Another bug I found is parc firme. Continue from Q to R and your setup is locked. Quit to dashboard and re-start = you can totally set up your car...

Anyway, off to Canada now, where I've been historically strong.

Also, no friend requests on my 360 Gaf? I'm dissapoint :-(

Xun

Nihilistic Monk said:
Into Canada on my single player run through... Missed a few objectives due ro retirement at monaco (dat turn before the tunnel) and another race.

Think I found a glitch where I used a rewind at Monaco Q1, was consistently getting 1:22's crashed out and my reset gave me a lap of 1:18... There's no way I made up 3 seconds with the splits I was getting.

Seems in 2011 though your rewinds are on a per-session basis.

Another bug I found is parc firme. Continue from Q to R and your setup is locked. Quit to dashboard and re-start = you can totally set up your car...

Anyway, off to Canada now, where I've been historically strong.

Also, no friend requests on my 360 Gaf? I'm dissapoint :-(
Just added, although I presently lack the game and XBL Gold at the moment.

Shaneus

Kyaw said:
Just restarted Melbourne GP. Got around 60fps with 4xMSAA and ultra.
The game is only using around 60-70% of my GPU. :/

Tempted to reinstall windows.
I think you'll find it's probably a CPU bottleneck. Something I read about another game (or it may have even been this one) was that for some reason it was using one core than the other three... alt-tabbing out and going into task manager, removing CPU affinity for the first core, going back into the game and then out again and enabling it seemed to balance everything out and work much better. If that makes sense.

It's worth a shot, anyway. If it really does even out the CPU usage more over all your cores rather than prioritise it over the first one, it might just solve your problems.

And is anyone having problems getting this to fire up in DX11? Even when everything is set to "ultra" in the options, the DX version splash from RadeonPro only shows DX9. The only way I could get it to come up with DX11 was (by reading from a post on Steam forums) to delete the hardwareprofiles dir from the 2011 config folder, disable crossfire completely then fire the game up.

I really, honestly just don't get how I can have such a fine experience with all three Dirt games (CFX scaling is magnificent in the latter two), Grid and even Fuel yet with both F1 games I (along with many others) have a metric fuck-tonne of problems. Jesus Christ, Codies... if you're using the same engine, why so many glaring issues?

Gor@n

Neo Member
Anyone care to share the main objectives from each of the starting teams? Should i go with a team with KERS or not? Thinking might go with a lesser team so i can get used to the game but i fear i won't be competitive without KERS and a slower car.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Scanned the OP for info but couldn't find it. Does the PS3 version support the G27 wheel? Cheers.

Top Bottom