• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Shaneus

Gen X said:
Scanned the OP for info but couldn't find it. Does the PS3 version support the G27 wheel? Cheers.
Why would you? Glorious PC master race. Sure, it's not perfect but it's a damn-sight better than PS3. Apparently the framerate is atrocious.

spicy cho

These online issues are a bummer. Hopefully a quick fix comes out soon because I bought the game solely because of the GAF league and the talking Codies did about all the work they put into it. I am getting way better performance than 2010 it seems, so that's good. The soundtrack isn't as strong as last year so I think I'll play my own stuff while racing.

Iknos

MiniBossBattle said:
That is what I am running. Works great but I am considering on purchasing the PC version as well.

Is there a way to lock the steering at say 270 degrees for the PS3 version? It is locked in the menus but doesn't lock in game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Shaneus said:
Why would you? Glorious PC master race. Sure, it's not perfect but it's a damn-sight better than PS3. Apparently the framerate is atrocious.

Because review copies are free. :p

LeBoef

JAFAR said:
If you're not used to the Fanatec controller settings it can sound strange. The ABS setting on the wheel is simply ABS vibration (two vibration motors in the wheel rim), not the actuation of ABS itself.

sorry for the late reply...

urm mate, i think you misunderstood something here

fanatec abs =
you set it just right before the point your brakes lock. so your wheel will start to rumble and you can break with the max possible amount. a bit more and they lock...
thats the point of the wheels abs.

fresquito

Gor@n said:
Anyone care to share the main objectives from each of the starting teams? Should i go with a team with KERS or not? Thinking might go with a lesser team so i can get used to the game but i fear i won't be competitive without KERS and a slower car.
I race with HRT and a friend of mine does too. We both play professional and some objectives are a bit crazy. They ask you to finish Melbourne 18th or higher, and usually they ask you around that or even lower. 18th is fine, but lower shouldn't be asked.

deim0s

Compiled a circuit guide from Allianz earlier to have a reference/guide for trying out manual transmission - been an automatic guy for sooo long.

I'm sure most of you might not need it... but sharing it here, good for newbs:

http://db.tt/gTcH8H7r

So how are people finding the career mode on here? I find its one of 'those' games where its either too easy or too hard. I'm in the Williams and get pole pretty much every time when set on professional so stick it up to legendary for the practise and qualy and then professional for the race, even then I get a ridiculously good start and spend the whole time fending guys off from over taking me the entire race. If I make it easier I just go off into the distance. Hopefully I'll get a drive with one of the better teams next season and things may be a bit more straight forward.

I've also been stitched with the pit 'problem' again a few times, where I'm just waiting for cars to go by as if I'm in a junction waiting to turn into a supermarket car park. What the fuck is that shit?

Adamm

deim0s said:
Compiled a circuit guide from Allianz earlier to have a reference/guide for trying out manual transmission - been an automatic guy for sooo long.

I'm sure most of you might not need it... but sharing it here, good for newbs:

http://db.tt/gTcH8H7r
Cool, thanks for this.

Although I just jumped straight in with the manual transmission this time. Within a few laps I found it pretty easy to workout what gear you should be in.

The thing that really gets me is having no traction control, I keep spinning when im in a bad car (No problems when in Red bull)

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
Yikes!

With the state the game is in now I am pretty much burned out on it unfortunately. I just get frustrated playing a game with such shitty netcode and shitty single player when there are other games around where I don't have to bother with all that. :/

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Juicy Bob said:
Oh my word. Codemasters, you really need to get a patch out right now. I simply cannot believe that so many new bugs have been introduced into F1 2011 and stuff like this is simply unacceptable.

The thing is, once these issues are fixed the game will be a dramatic improvement on F1 2010 but for now, I have to wonder just why it was shipped in such a state.

Shaneus

Frawdder said:
Wow...

That's pathetic. That really shouldn't happen.
Maybe they thought there's no way anyone would get to that track before they could put out a patch for it?

Shit, maybe someone should check to see if Interlagos is actually in the game.

Angst

Stop It said:
Oh my word. Codemasters, you really need to get a patch out right now. I simply cannot believe that so many new bugs have been introduced into F1 2011 and stuff like this is simply unacceptable.

The thing is, once these issues are fixed the game will be a dramatic improvement on F1 2010 but for now, I have to wonder just why it was shipped in such a state.
If they don't put out a patch pretty soon I think lots of people will just give up and move on (or back) to some other racing game, signing F1 2011 off as a buggy mess. And that would be a shame, as the game has such high potential.

Az

Happy I waited for the impressions before I bought this. Last year I got F1 2010 the first day it came out and same thing. So I'll be okay with GT5 until this gets fixed, even though I am really in the mood for some F1 action.

Grrr, rain in at least one session of every race weekend I have done in career so far. The AI in the wet is bullshit and making my season very frustrating. I hate changing around the AI difficulty based on weather. On professional on dry, I feel like my Lotus and I are finishing fine, but as soon as it gets wet, +7 in 24th place. Sigh. Many other bugs too.

Orgun

gutterboy44 said:
Grrr, rain in at least one session of every race weekend I have done in career so far. The AI in the wet is bullshit and making my season very frustrating. I hate changing around the AI difficulty based on weather. On professional on dry, I feel like my Lotus and I are finishing fine, but as soon as it gets wet, +7 in 24th place. Sigh. Many other bugs too.

What i've started to do is if it rains i'll use my normal setup but then change the spring stiffness to 11/11 to exploit that bug. If they can have ridiculous grip then so can I, but its still a challenge. I don't want to turn any of the assists back on.

amar212

gutterboy44 said:

I stopped playing my career 4 days ago because of that.

Just have no sense and my whole enjoyment is ruined.

I do not really care about any of other *bugs*, not even the pit one - I can treat it as my crew being an idiots for that one time - but wet AI is completely ruining my career playtime and it really shouldn't be like that - because this time career mode has all imaginable foundations to keep me interested for at least 3 seasons.

If I could vote for one single thing being patched out, that would be wet AI behavior.

fresquito

amar212 said:
I stopped playing my career 4 days ago because of that.

Just have no sense and my whole enjoyment is ruined.

I do not really care about any of other *bugs*, not even the pit one - I can treat it as my crew being an idiots for that one time - but wet AI is completely ruining my career playtime and it really shouldn't be like that - because this time career mode has all imaginable foundations to keep me interested for at least 3 seasons.

If I could vote for one single thing being patched out, that would be wet AI behavior.
And save corruption too. These are the two things that I think need to be patched... like yesterday! Such a shame they released the game in such a state. This is the last time I buy a game on release. It's the same story over and over again.

Have Codies said any word regarding the miriad of bugs present in their game?

This is just an all too familiar feeling. These days it seems that pre-order = beta testing and QC since the studio couldn't afford to do it themselves.

dubc35 said:
Had my second rainy GP yesterday, second P24 finish. :( The physics feel so good in the wet too. :(

So true, which makes it painful to loathe the wet races. I normally excel at wet weather racing so I used to look forward to them in other games including F1 2010.

Orgun

Woops, I posted this in the wrong F1 thread lol. Oh well its still about F1

Here is a Team VVV video about the new Ferrari wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kNiG0w0zg&feature=feedu

LeBoef

urm, received my xbox version today.
my GT2 starts to rumble as soon as i start the game. whats that? how can i turn it of.
its annoying

Kyaw

Actually properly done the Melbourne GP.

20%, Legendary AI, no assists - finished 3rd in the Force India. :)/)

It was wet in the first practice session an i finished at like 23rd or something.
I'm gonna start using 11/11 in the wet from now on.

Performance is sort of fixed. Still not getting 100+fps though.
Game is using all of the 4 cores on the CPU and about 80-95% of GPU.
Getting 60fps stable in most situations and less than 40 in the pits/pit straight.

People finishing so high up on Legendary, are you getting ahead at the start and then just defending? Or are you genuinely outpacing the AI?

In my Force India, without the 11-11 glitch, I usually qualify in the top 12 and then do some good overtakes when the group Is bunched up to be 5th or 6th by the end of the first lap.

Then it's just a matter of good defending really.

The online mode of this game needs a huge injection of common sense. Whoever had the idea of restarting the count down to the start of a game every time someone enters a room with enough space for 16 players is without doubt, an idiot. I'm baffled.

Raudi

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
The online mode of this game needs a huge injection of common sense. Whoever had the idea of restarting the count down to the start of a game every time someone enters a room with enough space for 16 players is without doubt, an idiot. I'm baffled.

+1

This is my #1 gripe for racing online as it takes several minutes just to start a 3 lap race due to the session timer constantly resetting as people enter the lobby. It should not restart after the first 3 required players are in!

Raudi said:
+1

This is my #1 gripe for racing online as it takes several minutes just to start a 3 lap race due to the session timer constantly resetting as people enter the lobby. It should not restart after the first 3 required players are in!

Seriously, what the fuck is going on? This is could in theory happen forever. I'm in the same lobby waiting since my previous post and still haven't started a game. Others get fed up and leave and get replaced which restarts the timer. Totally idiotic. What was wrong with the shorter timer and ready up mechanism from the previous game..?? Why change something that worked so well?? Utterly fucking ridiculous, its sheer stupidity!

Foliorum Viridum said:
In my Force India, without the 11-11 glitch, I usually qualify in the top 12 and then do some good overtakes when the group Is bunched up to be 5th or 6th by the end of the first lap.

Then it's just a matter of good defending really.

Doesn't that annoy you though? On most circuits it's not that hard to get right up to the front in the first few corners. Defending the whole race from then on makes whatever position I achieve feel cheap.

Bungieware said:
Doesn't that annoy you though? On most circuits it's not that hard to get right up to the front in the first few corners. Defending the whole race from then on makes whatever position I achieve feel cheap.
Eh, defending hard is good fun. I prefer it to being in the fastest car and being half a lap ahead even against the hardest AI.

Kyaw

Bungieware said:
People finishing so high up on Legendary, are you getting ahead at the start and then just defending? Or are you genuinely outpacing the AI?

I qualified 7th, made a few places up at turn 2. Stay at about 5th for about 2 more laps. Pass Massa at 4th and Alonso at 3rd. Defend, they are quite literally on your tail. Pit, lose some places, gain back places. Alonso still behind me pushing like crazy. Me using KERS and him using DRS. He couldn't pass me and Alonso and Massa fell back near the end of the GP.

It was quite nice but the Legendary AI should be MUCH faster than that.

Note: I wasn't using 11/11 exploit at all.

There's some mods out for F1 2010 that make it absolutely excellent such as altering the AI so they're actually harder to beat. So far I have no need of F1 2011, especially with Forza 4 round the corner. The info about the bugs is a major turn off.

fresquito

Kyaw said:
I qualified 7th, made a few places up at turn 2. Stay at about 5th for about 2 more laps. Pass Massa at 4th and Alonso at 3rd. Defend, they are quite literally on your tail. Pit, lose some places, gain back places. Alonso still behind me pushing like crazy. Me using KERS and him using DRS. He couldn't pass me and Alonso and Massa fell back near the end of the GP.

It was quite nice but the Legendary AI should be MUCH faster than that.

Note: I wasn't using 11/11 exploit at all.
In their defense I will say Melbourne is not an ideal place to overtake. Not that it is Montecarlo, but still...

HenryHSH

Slackbladder said:
There's some mods out for F1 2010 that make it absolutely excellent such as altering the AI so they're actually harder to beat. So far I have no need of F1 2011, especially with Forza 4 round the corner. The info about the bugs is a major turn off.

Modding the AI broke the online for me in 2010. It would keep kicking me out and banning. I assume it'll do the same for 2011. :(

itsgreen

Just did my first PC laps in the game in Spa... felt totally different as 2010.

Braking is night and day.

What are 'good' times at Spa?

TylerD

Bucket-o-roadkill said:

Seriously, i think it took 6 minutes to get a race started the other night and the room was 14-16 people. That completely kills my desire to play online.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
TylerD said:
Seriously, i think it took 6 minutes to get a race started the other night and the room was 14-16 people. That completely kills my desire to play online.
Play custom GP.

It's so ironic how in F1 2010 I absolutely loathed the custom GP online, but now it's the total opposite....I hate quick race mode(because of the issue stated above) and love custom GP. Custom GP is so much better than F1 2010. Hell I even enjoy doing semi-long races now.

Custom races are problematic because most people seem to join races already in progress. I set up the lobby with other GAFers the other day and it didn't fill at all, then as soon as we were in the race about 10 people joined.

We always did custom races in 2010 and usually had no problem finding people.

Top Bottom