• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

itsgreen

Well after a dozen more laps I have managed to squeeze my time down at Spa to a 1:44.591.

Edit: 1:43.468

I should be able to trim another half second off when I put in some other laps...

I already notice it is a lot easier to put in consistent laptimes...

Shaneus

Well, got the Gran Turgismo paddles for the DFGT today, but still having endless hassles getting 2011 even working on my PC, let alone *well*. Sometimes the splash screen never appears, yet the .exe is "running". Sometimes it will fire up, but only with DX9 (even though it says DX11 is enabled). Regardless of my Crossfire config, I'm still unable to get over around 40fps in the benchmark.

Codies seriously fucking trying my patients with this one. A look at their forums indicates I'm not alone, either. Apparently a patch for PC and 360 is waiting for cert by MS, but I doubt it's going to fix 1/10th of the problems most people are having.

Angst

Shaneus said:
Well, got the Gran Turgismo paddles for the DFGT today, but still having endless hassles getting 2011 even working on my PC, let alone *well*. Sometimes the splash screen never appears, yet the .exe is "running". Sometimes it will fire up, but only with DX9 (even though it says DX11 is enabled). Regardless of my Crossfire config, I'm still unable to get over around 40fps in the benchmark.

Codies seriously fucking trying my patients with this one. A look at their forums indicates I'm not alone, either. Apparently a patch for PC and 360 is waiting for cert by MS, but I doubt it's going to fix 1/10th of the problems most people are having.
GFWL means Microsoft has to cert PC patches too? *grumble grumble PoS GFWL* It's not like "GFWL" means Microsoft has extensively tested the game prior to release...

Shaneus

Think so. But I can only assume that this close to release, they haven't tackled anywhere near the amount of bugs they should have. There are some still coming out.

Hopefully they don't do what they did last year and stick to their rule of releasing only two patches. No way anyone could fix that many in only two releases.

First patch needs to be online IMO. It's simply horrendous trying to get people in a lobby, get the lobby to a race or keep everyone between the lobby and the end of the race.

I want to start our league!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:
First patch needs to be online IMO. It's simply horrendous trying to get people in a lobby, get the lobby to a race or keep everyone between the lobby and the end of the race.

I want to start our league!
Indeed.

I just want to know what this first patch actually does. A vague post saying that the team have been "tweaking etc" doesn't answer the questions that have been asked as to some of the more serious bugs in F1 2011. Could we at least have a list of things addressed in this patch Helios?

Juicy Bob

Oh dear guys. I want to love this game because it has so much potential but yet again there appears to be a serious design issue.

Apparently, the game's Tyre Wear has been coded based on time and not on driving performance. A guy on the CM forums started a race, parked in a gravel trap for ages while the AI raced around him and even though he was stationary and not doing anything, his tyres were wearing out. That suggests that 'looking after your tyres' and, oppositely, abusing them through sliding and locking-up etc doesn't actually affect your tyre wear because they ultimately have a pre-scripted lifetime.

I'm so disappointed. There's so much right with this game, but the more you play the more and more bugs and terrible design choices are coming to light.

EDIT: I've tested this for myself and it appears that this was a hoax story. Tyre Wear isn't actually affected when you're sat stationary in the gravel at all, suggesting the wear model is genuine and not scripted.

Juicy Bob said:
Oh dear guys. I want to love this game because it has so much potential but yet again there appears to be a serious design issue.

Apparently, the game's Tyre Wear has been coded based on time and not on driving performance. A guy on the CM forums started a race, parked in a gravel trap for ages while the AI raced around him and even though he was stationary and not doing anything, his tyres were wearing out. That suggests that 'looking after your tyres' and, oppositely, abusing them through sliding and locking-up etc doesn't actually affect your tyre wear because they ultimately have a pre-scripted lifetime.

I'm so disappointed. There's so much right with this game, but the more you play the more and more bugs and terrible design choices are coming to light.

Wow thats the cherry on the shit sundae. so that adds to the broken online rooms, online player limit constantly being exceeded, ridiculous A.I in the rain, A.I thats too easy on professional and too hard on legendary :(

it sucks because both online and offline have issues so u cant do one thing while you wait for the other to get sorted. just have to ride it out and hope its quickly fixed. great.

Juicy Bob

I'm going away for a bit, but when I get back I'm going to test this for myself. I'll do a 20% race, park in the gravel trap and see if my tyres go off like that guy on the CM forums claims, then I'll try the same thing but parked on the track itself. That way I'll be able to tell whether wear is completely scripted or it's coded so that your tyre life is accelerated only when you're off track. I hope it's the latter, but that's still only the lesser of two evils.

mxgt

Banned
Sucks that the game has a wealth of issues because at the core it's extremely fun. Having a blast learning tracks with no assists (besides auto gears) with a pad.

ACH1LL3US

Massa said:
Sold the game after 2 days. Can't play a racing game with this framerate (PS3).

At least it only cost me $5.

Does anyone know if the 360 versions suffers from bad framerate too? From the vids I dont see any issues. I have the game but havent got a chance to open it and play it yet :p

Going to have to tack on another wet weather/AI gripe. Last night I completed the Turkish GP and the race was in the wet (of course). The entire grid including myself started on intermediate tires. I also set TC to medium to give myself a chance. I am well aware that pit stops are not mandatory during a wet race so I was hoping to make it the full 12 laps (20%). About 5 laps in I noticed my rear tires were showing as a pretty dark orange on the HUD. Admittedly I haven't been driving the perfect race but I wasn't abusing my rears and TC was on medium which helps preserve them. During lap 5 it became clear that I needed new rubber. No signs of the AI struggling. I figured maybe they would stretch theirs to lap 7, but nope, they kept getting faster and faster lap times and never pitted. At no point did they slide more, lose more traction on corner exit (god grip!) and the dry line was very definitive so their tires should have been shot. Grrrrrrrr. Why model all of these cool simulations if they don't apply to the AI. Fucking stupid.

Edit: What I don't understand is that these are incredibly basic concepts of racing. It isn't like rain was just introduced this year. I would understand if the use of KERS and DRS was a little funky with the AI drivers but this is just tire use and rain!

mocoworm

Blackvette94 said:
Does anyone know if the 360 versions suffers from bad framerate too? From the vids I dont see any issues. I have the game but havent got a chance to open it and play it yet :p

Put the game in, play it and come back and post to let us know... as I have asked the same question in this thread twice with no reply. I don't yet own the game. Can you let me know if the online is as bad as the PC guys in here are saying ?

:D

Fixed1979

gutterboy44 said:
Edit: What I don't understand is that these are incredibly basic concepts of racing. It isn't like rain was just introduced this year. I would understand if the use of KERS and DRS was a little funky with the AI drivers but this is just tire use and rain!

Not to excuse it but new tyre models and new driving physics could have played a part.

What AI difficulty are most people playing on?

You should be able to handle Legendary. They're pretty easy and you keep up with us so yeah :)

To be honest, even in the wet I don't find them having TC that bad. In the co-op career with Lucius I was beating them fine until I made a mistake and crashed.

Foliorum Viridum said:
You should be able to handle Legendary. They're pretty easy and you keep up with us so yeah :)

To be honest, even in the wet I don't find them having TC that bad. In the co-op career with Lucius I was beating them fine until I made a mistake and crashed.

What car were you using in the co-op? I started with the Lotus and seem to be comfortable with Professional. You are undoubtedly quicker than me but I wonder if I am just running a shitty setup on most tracks or have a shit car or both. Not seeing a lot of Lotus setups over at racedepartment.com

Juicy Bob

I've read on the CM forums that the AI are slower on Co-Op mode than on single player, even when set to Legendary. Haven't tried Co-Op mode yet so I can't confirm or deny that.

ACH1LL3US

mocoworm said:
Put the game in, play it and come back and post to let us know... as I have asked the same question in this thread twice with no reply. I don't yet own the game. Can you let me know if the online is as bad as the PC guys in here are saying ?

:D

Will do, I will pop it in when I get home from work :)

Juicy Bob said:
I've read on the CM forums that the AI are slower on Co-Op mode than on single player, even when set to Legendary. Haven't tried Co-Op mode yet so I can't confirm or deny that.
Trying to bring my ego down a notch, eh?

It might be true. I haven't had a win in SP yet. Got close, though.

Weird design choice if true.

Juicy Bob

OK, I've tested that tyre wear bug for myself and I'm happy to report that it seems that guy on the CM forums was actually talking bollocks. I did a 50% race on Expert at Melbourne, parked it in the gravel trap at the end of Turn 1 and waited for 15 minutes. The tyre wear didn't go down at all and the wear indicator on the HUD damage screen showed that the tyres were still grey as they are when you first put them on. So it appears as if the tyre wear model is genuine after all and isn't scripted.

However, soon after the leaders lapped me for the third time to begin Lap 4, my left front tyre suddenly punctured. This was when I was still stationary in the gravel. THat suggests that while the tyre wear appears genuine, the damage model and puncture probability has a lot to do with how much time you spend going through the gravel. I wouldn't really consider that a bug though, as realistically the more time you spend on the gravel in a real F1 car, the more likely you are to pick up a puncture.

So it appears CM haven't got this part of the game wrong after all.

Adamm

Juicy Bob said:
OK, I've tested that tyre wear bug for myself and I'm happy to report that it seems that guy on the CM forums was actually talking bollocks. I did a 50% race on Expert at Melbourne, parked it in the gravel trap at the end of Turn 1 and waited for 15 minutes. The tyre wear didn't go down at all and the wear indicator on the HUD damage screen showed that the tyres were still grey as they are when you first put them on. So it appears as if the tyre wear model is genuine after all and isn't scripted.

However, soon after the leaders lapped me for the third time to begin Lap 4, my left front tyre suddenly punctured. This was when I was still stationary in the gravel. THat suggests that while the tyre wear appears genuine, the damage model and puncture probability has a lot to do with how much time you spend going through the gravel. I wouldn't really consider that a bug though, as realistically the more time you spend on the gravel in a real F1 car, the more likely you are to pick up a puncture.

So it appears CM haven't got this part of the game wrong after all.
Good to know!

Lazy game design like that really annoys me

itsgreen

itsgreen said:
Well after a dozen more laps I have managed to squeeze my time down at Spa to a 1:44.591.

Edit: 1:43.468

I should be able to trim another half second off when I put in some other laps...

I already notice it is a lot easier to put in consistent laptimes...

Broke the 1:43 barrier on Spa :)

1:42.977

(With ABS, TC and auto shift, not as hardcore as most in here, but I'm happy :))

Don't think I can gain a lot more...

Anyone else try good times on Spa?

Just got a 1:41.308 - I think there's an easy half a second, maybe a lot more, with optimal use of KERS/DRS and some tidier driving. I can see hitting a 1:40 with practice.

Add me on GFWL if you want a ghost to race :)

I love these TT battles, they're so much fun.

Nah I used 11-11 cos I assumed everyone would be.

Very nice time for 3 laps. I'll hop on and do a proper session after I check out the BF3 beta, see what I can get my time down to :)

itsgreen

Mad_Ban said:
Just got a 1:40.6 after 3 laps. But I guess everyone is using normal set ups and not cheatmode (11/11) :p

Oh I didn't use 11/11... (would kind of be cheating myself if I did, when I'm just trying to beat my own time)... And 11/11 is bound to be fixed :)

Did use the power of my old faithful Logitech Momo Force thing... :)

Yen

Just got the Xbox version. Very enjoyable. Havent played online or finished a wet race to have experienced any real issues. Some severe slowdown at the start of Singapore in heavy rain but not much else (for those who asked).

itsgreen

Yenrot said:
Just got the Xbox version. Very enjoyable. Havent played online or finished a wet race to have experienced any real issues. Some severe slowdown at the start of Singapore in heavy rain but not much else (for those who asked).

Monaco swimming pool area in 2010 was horrible... crashed more than once because of total lack of frames per second...

Dibbz

People are complaining about wet races? I just done Shanghai this morning in heavy rain and it was fine. AI did not run away from me at all. I qualified 18th and finished the race in 22nd with Lotus only because I span out a few times. Settings are Expert with Legend AI no ABS no Traction and no other aids at 50% distance.

I would have been able to keep my position but I got too excited during the race.

Handling so far is really good. I'm really enjoying it even on the PS3.

S. L.

is there some secret option to disable all that fluff?
it really bothers me, i don't give two fucks about being in the trailer, giving interviews, and stuff

fresquito

Despite its bugs, I'm having a great time with this game. I just played Practice for the first time in Sepang and at first I was like: "I suck at this circuit". Then I began to get grips with the layout and bam! I ended 13th with a HRT (just practice, but still).

The driving feels very good. I think it's got the right balance between arcade and sim. I will be disabling ABS and normal TC in the next GP.

Anyone else find it a bit weird how they removed the press conference bit after finishing on the podium? Why would they remove that? Lol there's been some really questionable decisions on this game.

Another annoying thing to add to the shit list - A.I lack of crashing, I've done an entire season and the only time I've seen the A.I crash is when Rosberg was on the grass one time. Thats it. I caused some shit to get the safety car out and thats the only time I've seen it. Why does nothing ever happen? Haha wtf

dubc35

Bah! I just finished P1 at Monaco....except for 20 sec of penalties. P4 it is. My highest finish so far though. The best part is that the team has now upped their expectations and Canada is set for heavy rain on race day. FmyL.

So, uh, this has been out a week and nobody is playing it. At all. My Steam list has one person playing it out of 30 people and it's been like that for days.

That's how messed up the game is. This time last year we had all put ridiculous hours into it. Now we're not even loading it up.

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
So, uh, this has been out a week and nobody is playing it. At all. My Steam list has one person playing it out of 30 people and it's been like that for days.

That's how messed up the game is. This time last year we had all put ridiculous hours into it. Now we're not even loading it up.
Online and single player is a mess. It makes me really sad as I really wanted to enjoy it, even bought a headset for online. I was anticipating it so much but after two days of playing I want to snap the disc (if I had one) in two. :(

Yep, that's the case with a lot of my friends too. Some of them didn't even buy it when they had gotten 2010 day one.

I've stopped playing it and turned to play other games until it gets fixed.

Kyaw

Foliorum Viridum said:

BF3 beta bro. :p

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:

Waiting for the patch myself, also...it's too hot.

Iknos

Massa said:
Sold the game after 2 days. Can't play a racing game with this framerate (PS3).

At least it only cost me $5.

Hmmm I was really considering trading this in for the 360 version not only because of the framerate but the jaggies. 360 version is much cleaner.

But I figured I'd get nothing for the trade in value. If it only cost you $5 I gotta check out the trade in value asap...

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Foliorum Viridum said:

I have to admit, I'm just waiting for a patch, that and I've been busy with real life etc too.

Until we can at least get an indication when online/co-op issues are at least being looked at, and things like the 11:11 bug and the inconsistent corner cutting rules are addressed, I just don't really want to play the game.

It's a shame because I want to love F1 2011, but at the moment, it really doesn't want to love me.

Orgun

Stop It said:
I have to admit, I'm just waiting for a patch, that and I've been busy with real life etc too.

Until we can at least get an indication when online/co-op issues are at least being looked at, and things like the 11:11 bug and the inconsistent corner cutting rules are addressed, I just don't really want to play the game.

It's a shame because I want to love F1 2011, but at the moment, it really doesn't want to love me.

Never had much trouble with co-op, which reminds me Staab. We need to continue our game!

Top Bottom