• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

I'm one of the people who isn't playing it, for the record. It's not a "you guys suck" comment, more a "I want this game to be fixed" one, haha.

I just think the sign that we, the most dedicated fans of the game, aren't playing is pretty goddamn telling.

Staab

Orgun said:
Never had much trouble with co-op, which reminds me Staab. We need to continue our game!
I'm up for it tonight if you're around !
Kinda been holding back from playing F1 2011 till a patch hits myself, the online seems to suffer quite a bit once you're more than 2/3.
But it's mainly the 11/11 issue that just ruins the game for me because the whole changes to the driving model seem nullified when your car is that glued to the track.
Not using it means you're basically giving up on competing for now.

The offline annoys me because of the wet AI TC feature and the potential save corruption.

All in all, except for the co-op races, so far the game hasn't delivered for me.
I hope it can be patched up quickly enough.

amar212

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm one of the people who isn't playing it, for the record. It's not a "you guys suck" comment, more a "I want this game to be fixed" one, haha.

I just think the sign that we, the most dedicated fans of the game, aren't playing is pretty goddamn telling.

Same here.

Any words of possible 1.02 patch, something that will fix these initial amount of issues?

Manik

Foliorum Viridum said:

Ditto; With all of the bugs in SP it feels like I can't even just boot it up and play that.

Gone back to finishing some of my other games in the meantime.

Orgun

Staab said:
I'm up for it tonight if you're around !
Kinda been holding back from playing F1 2011 till a patch hits myself, the online seems to suffer quite a bit once you're more than 2/3.
But it's mainly the 11/11 issue that just ruins the game for me because the whole changes to the driving model seem nullified when your car is that glued to the track.
Not using it means you're basically giving up on competing for now.

The offline annoys me because of the wet AI TC feature and the potential save corruption.

All in all, except for the co-op races, so far the game hasn't delivered for me.
I hope it can be patched up quickly enough.

I've got a movie night tonight at 8pm but I could get some laps in before then, should be home by 6pm.

Shaneus

According to this, the patch is already out for PS3. Anyone care to comment?

I'm guessing it's safe to assume that the initial fix will be for gameplay bugs such as the 11 springs, TCS on AI in the wet, that sort of thing... and the second patch (hopefully not the last, but likely) will deal with platform specific issues such as crashing and pretty much everything to do with the PC one.

Edit: Found this posted in some other thread on the Codies forum by Helios:
The patch that's already been released for PS3 and is currently in submission with Microsoft for the Xbox360 and PC contains tweaks and optimisations the team have done to the game during the two weeks time between them submitting the game to Microsoft and it's release. This being the case and the fact the setup issue has only come to light post-launch means that there are no changes to car setups in this patch although we are investigating the issue.

So it's safe to say that there'll be tweaks to some things here and there, but a fair amount of problems we've encountered probably won't be fixed in the first patch. Given that, I'd say there's zero chance that all major issues will get fixed in the second patch... something will remain. And due to Codies' (forced?) stance on only releasing two patches, that does not bode well.

Jesus, all I want to do is be able to even get F1 2011 to *start* in DX11, let alone worry about the scaling issues that are absent in every other Codies game except for F1 2010 and 2011.

mclaren777

I just won the WDC with four races left to go and Red Bull just offered me a contract.

What are the odds that Mclaren will also offer me a drive?

Xun

The game came in the post today finally.

My god what a good game, although I'm not doing well at all yet.

I can't reach the objectives just yet. :(

Staab

Well me and Orgun just tried to get our Co-op championship continued but ...
even that is a mess and we couldn't manage to invite each other although it was working fine last week.

Guess we really need to wait for a miracle patch here, somehow...

dubc35

Shaneus said:
According to this, the patch is already out for PS3. Anyone care to comment?
I just booted up my ps3 copy and didn't see any prompts for a patch. Maybe that was included in the ps3 disc burning process but not 360/PC?

[edit] Actually I'm not sure if I have the autoupdate option turned on in which case it might have updated without me knowing. I'll check into it later tonight.

[edit2] Nope, still at v1.01

I have the PS3 copy. I got an update when I first played the game but was working around the house while it was installing.

Also, I hated Monza but soon really relished the tight full throttle turns and goofy 3rd sector. I am playing SP career with Lotus. I want to get into a better team.

Mad_Ban said:
Finding it night on impossible to keep up with the AI on hardest during 100% races without using 11/11. :/

same here. its pissing me off. i cant stand online because its such a mess (Im talking about the lobbies, fuck knows how broken the game must be when playing).

I was with Williams and found, like mad_ban, it was too hard on legendary and too easy on professional. so next season i got to drive for ferrari, i thought great, now I'll have the pace needed to compete on legendary!.. nope. its exactly the same. so its either so easy its boring, or so hard that its helpless. ffs.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
same here. its pissing me off. i cant stand online because its such a mess (Im talking about the lobbies, fuck knows how broken the game must be when playing).

I love how you guys automatically assume that online is a "mess", when in fact it's the best part of this whole game. I have the PC version and I have been playing NOTHING but multiplayer since day one and it's even MORE enjoyable than 2010. I have encountered only TWO blatant wreckers/rammers in the whole time I've been playing the game online. 95% of the time races are clean and gentlemen-like. I would stop playing the game right now altogether if I was forced to only play the offline career mode.

Online is the bomb!

Orgun

Staab said:
Well me and Orgun just tried to get our Co-op championship continued but ...
even that is a mess and we couldn't manage to invite each other although it was working fine last week.

Guess we really need to wait for a miracle patch here, somehow...
Yup, properly annoying now. I'd send a invite - you don't receive it and vice versa. Tried sending them manually - won't let us join.

Tried removing my save files because I thought the cause might be my corrupted save file and I can now receive the invites but it still won't let me join.

What a. complete codemasters clusterfuck yet again, don't know why I still get their games on day 1 after the Flashpoint disaster.

Yen

I havent had a problem with wet races. I'm two seconds behind the AI on dry races! (I'm pretty crap). On both wet and dry races, I'm holding up a lot of traffic so if I go off onto the grass or crash, I'd lose about 10 positions.
(I'm currently using medium TCS and 20% races)

AcridMeat

Banned
isamu said:
I love how you guys automatically assume that online is a "mess", when in fact it's the best part of this whole game. I have the PC version and I have been playing NOTHING but multiplayer since day one and it's even MORE enjoyable than 2010. I have encountered only TWO blatant wreckers/rammers in the whole time I've been playing the game online. 95% of the time races are clean and gentlemen-like. I would stop playing the game right now altogether if I was forced to only play the offline career mode.

Online is the bomb!

Our complaints aren't about the gameplay, it's the broken ass netcode and lobby system. Oh and timing bugs. Oh and set up bugs. etc.

Yeah, when we get in to races and whatnot the racing is AMAZING. That's what is so frustrating.

Trust us, we all would be looking forward to our league right now if half the people didn't fail to join lobbies etc.

dubc35 said:
Probably a stupid question but do the interview questions have any impact on anything?

In 2010, near the end of the season you get asked questions like "Do you want to leave the team? Are you considering other offers from different teams?" Depends on how you answer them, other teams might offer you a contract for the next season if your driving reputation is high enough.

Xun

Bucket-o-roadkill said:

I was with Williams and found, like mad_ban, it was too hard on legendary and too easy on professional. so next season i got to drive for ferrari, i thought great, now I'll have the pace needed to compete on legendary!.. nope. its exactly the same. so its either so easy its boring, or so hard that its helpless. ffs.
Are you using a wheel?

I'm using a controller at the moment and was struggling on hard and went to medium, but now it's too easy. :/

NHale

I'm trying to love this game but I can't. Love the changes they made to the handling and sound but the rest of the game just feels under developed.

Career mode continues to be unappealing as F1 2010. My guess is that the license don't allow them but the game needs a drivers market and car progression during career (this they can do easily) mode to have an appeal for me. As it stands Career Mode is just a simple Season mode where you just change teams at the end of each year. Complete failure.

Proving Grounds is a nice feature but they really didn't care a lot about it, since 6 quick scenarios are not enough. How about developing it a little more and add overtaking or long run scenarios? I can't understand why only 6 scenarios, go nuts and add something special, create a scenario where I have to drive as Lewis Hamilton and crash against every other driver on the track. Just do something!

Online is fun (despite the obvious problems with playing with real people) but who thought it was a good idea to reset the 30 second countdown time to start a race every time someone joins a Public Lobby? It's like they didn't even tested it or put some rookie develop the lobby system. Right now, online is completely broken by the 11/11 so it's quite ironic that Codemasters focused a lot of their efforts in trying to have a huge online community and then ship the game with a bug that completely ruins the experience.

I loved F1 2010 despite all the flaws but the main feeling I have towards F1 2011 is disappointment. It's still a good game and I love the driving (way better than F1 2010) but I was expecting a lot more. And seeing the community reaction, Codemasters will have to be really careful with their handling of this "franchise" if they want people to continue to buy it.

1-D_FTW

NHale said:
I'm trying to love this game but I can't. Love the changes they made to the handling and sound but the rest of the game just feels under developed.

Career mode continues to be unappealing as F1 2010. My guess is that the license don't allow them but the game needs a drivers market and car progression during career (this they can do easily) mode to have an appeal for me. As it stands Career Mode is just a simple Season mode where you just change teams at the end of each year. Complete failure.

Proving Grounds is a nice feature but they really didn't care a lot about it, since 6 quick scenarios are not enough. How about developing it a little more and add overtaking or long run scenarios? I can't understand why only 6 scenarios, go nuts and add something special, create a scenario where I have to drive as Lewis Hamilton and crash against every other driver on the track. Just do something!

Online is fun (despite the obvious problems with playing with real people) but who thought it was a good idea to reset the 30 second countdown time to start a race every time someone joins a Public Lobby? It's like they didn't even tested it or put some rookie develop the lobby system. Right now, online is completely broken by the 11/11 so it's quite ironic that Codemasters focused a lot of their efforts in trying to have a huge online community and then ship the game with a bug that completely ruins the experience.

I loved F1 2010 despite all the flaws but the main feeling I have towards F1 2011 is disappointment. It's still a good game and I love the driving (way better than F1 2010) but I was expecting a lot more. And seeing the community reaction, Codemasters will have to be really careful with their handling of this "franchise" if they want people to continue to buy it.

I'm going exclusively 5 bucks or less for their games. I can't go more than 2 loads without crashing even when running windowed.

Codemasters? Most hilarious developer name in all of gaming.

Angst

1-D_FTW said:
I'm going exclusively 5 bucks or less for their games. I can't go more than 2 loads without crashing even when running windowed.

Codemasters? Most hilarious developer name in all of gaming.
Yeah, this was the last time they fooled me and they'll never see any of my money again.

Shaneus

Angst said:
Yeah, this was the last time they fooled me and they'll never see any of my money again.
See, I think I've only learnt my lesson in regards to the F1 franchise. It straight up baffles the shit out of me how Dirt 3 can look and play fantastically, yet it's often a struggle for me to get this game to run, let alone either run in a stable manner or even in DX11. Dirt 2 ran beautifully on my PC, as did Grid. Why so many issues with these F1 games?!?! WHY?!?

Juicy Bob

I'll be honest, I originally thought this game was brilliant and put all the moans down to just simple pettiness - but the more I'm playing the more and more frustrated I'm getting. It just baffles me how the team really genuinely seem to want to produce a truly excellent series of games and yet after the embarrassing level of bugs F1 2010 had they've managed to ship another game with just as many glitches and faults as before.

And regarding the graphics on the PS3, I can deal with the lack of AA as I'm a gameplay whore far more than I ever will be a graphics whore but the framerate issues are really beginning to detract from the enjoyment factor of the game now, especially online. I can't understand not only how in 2011 they've failed to port a game to PS3 that runs at at least the same performance level as the 360 but also that the framerate on PS3 was apparently tested and OK'ed by the developers before going gold. It's almost as if they never tested it out on PS3 at all.

Angst

Juicy Bob said:
I'll be honest, I originally thought this game was brilliant and put all the moans down to just simple pettiness - but the more I'm playing the more and more frustrated I'm getting. It just baffles me how the team really genuinely seem to want to produce a truly excellent series of games and yet after the embarrassing level of bugs F1 2010 had they've managed to ship another game with just as many glitches and faults as before.

And regarding the graphics on the PS3, I can deal with the lack of AA as I'm a gameplay whore far more than I ever will be a graphics whore but the framerate issues are really beginning to detract from the enjoyment factor of the game now, especially online. I can't understand not only how in 2011 they've failed to port a game to PS3 that runs at at least the same performance level as the 360 but also that the framerate on PS3 was apparently tested and OK'ed by the developers before going gold. It's almost as if they never tested it out on PS3 at all.
Don't worry JB, they never tested the PC or 360 versions either :/

Well I finally got some time with the game, my copy arrives tomorrow but i got to play it thanks to a friend. Only played offline at the moment and the handling feels so good, the sound is also amazing. Correcting the car and trying beat the A.I on Legend is really tough. Its so much harder with no assists (except auto gears) in the wet especially when using a pad.

http://youtu.be/TCZUP2bkX7o?hd=1

fresquito

Anybody having stuttering problems? I updated my comp to i5 level and now when I play the game it stutters. To be fair, it stuttered before from time to time. But not it's everytime I play.

Angst

fresquito said:
Anybody having stuttering problems? I updated my comp to i5 level and now when I play the game it stutters. To be fair, it stuttered before from time to time. But not it's everytime I play.
Same here. I can do 10 laps or so without any stuttering, then it starts stuttering like crazy

Angst

Hmmm, yeah that might be it. I have had no issues with Crysis 1 and 2 though at 1080p, so it seems strange that the GPU should overheat in F1 2011 as it doesn't seem that demanding.

My CPU/GPU can get hot at really random times. Some games just stress them more than others, I guess.

Core Temp is a good app for CPU, MSI Afterburner for GPUs :)

If they are running hot just cool them appropriately. Should get rid of stuttering.

So I just returned from a weeks holiday down south west UK, was good but at the same time I was following the interwebs on my phone and limited wifi at the cottage.

All this stuff about 2011 is upsetting, my pc copy came the day before I left and it's still sealed in front of me and will stay that way until they can fix the 11/11 f-zero handling, the cpu using TC in wet to the point of cheating, online being not as great as it sounds due to glitches and problems and how you can cut some corners without getting more then a steward warning among the other smaller things talked about in this thread.

I was going to buy this game on the 360 also so I could play it on holiday but for £40, knowing about these bugs and problems would have made me rage, pc version was only £18 and will still look amazing visually so I can live with that, just won't install it until problems are reported as fixed.

Also I can't believe these things were not found ready to be fixed in the first patch, did NO ONE as codies try an 11/11 setup at any time? did no one try to cut corners to see if the penalty system was working ok? This makes 2010 look like gold.

fresquito

Thanks for the recomendations. Not that I hadn't think about it though. But it's a bit odd. I was playing with a Phenom II 945, a very old mobo and 4GB DDR2 800. Only once it stuttered. Now I have a i5 2500k, 8GB 1600 with a new flashy mobo and it stutters like crazy after ten minutes of play. I don't know how it can overheat so much! (HD6850 here, BTW). I'll check my temps, but I find it very odd.

BFBC2 runs like butter, no stutters, no problems. :-/

You guys with stuttering issues, do you have vsync forced? I was having that issue in DiRT 3 because I had sync forced in my nvidia preferences.

Calibrated

Neo Member
Yo guys add me for some races too! I just joined the steam group and im not very good yet but i try hard and thats all that matters right? :p

Actually managed a race with no traction control in the rain last night, I finished last but still finished lol

Gamertag for xbl = Calibrated
Steam ID = Awe (I think... been a long time since cs 1.6)

Other than that Helios post mentioned above, as their been any official comment from Codemasters on this? Like last year, I find their handling (or lack thereof) of the situation the most embarrassing (and insulting) aspect.

Massa

Shaneus said:
See, I think I've only learnt my lesson in regards to the F1 franchise. It straight up baffles the shit out of me how Dirt 3 can look and play fantastically, yet it's often a struggle for me to get this game to run, let alone either run in a stable manner or even in DX11. Dirt 2 ran beautifully on my PC, as did Grid. Why so many issues with these F1 games?!?! WHY?!?

They are probably still adjusting to the realities of having to release a licensed game every 12 months. With Dirt I suppose they have more freedom to schedule their development time.

fresquito

How do you choose your race strategy? I can't seem to find it. For me there's only tires, monitor and engineer. I friend has told me you can even check how you're doing against your mate, but I don't know how either :-/

Edit: Forget it, I'm blind >_<

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Can someone please explain to me exactly what the 11/11 exploit is and what it does?? I'm still not entirely sure..
from what I have read over the week setting your ride height and suspension to max which is 11 on each will turn your car into an arcade racing beast.

Angst

Quote said:
You guys with stuttering issues, do you have vsync forced? I was having that issue in DiRT 3 because I had sync forced in my nvidia preferences.
I did, but once removed it changed nothing.

Foliorum Viridum said:
My CPU/GPU can get hot at really random times. Some games just stress them more than others, I guess.

Core Temp is a good app for CPU, MSI Afterburner for GPUs :)

If they are running hot just cool them appropriately. Should get rid of stuttering.
If it was the GPU or CPU overheating I would hear the fans spinning really fast to try to cope with the heat. Yet that doesn't happen. I suspect it's a memory leak.

Top Bottom