• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Xun said:
Are you using a wheel?

I'm using a controller at the moment and was struggling on hard and went to medium, but now it's too easy. :/

Yep, joypad here.

Diablohead said:
from what I have read over the week setting your ride height and suspension to max which is 11 on each will turn your car into an arcade racing beast.

Ride height and suspension? I'm confused, ride height is in suspension.. And do you mean both the front and rear?

isamu said:
I love how you guys automatically assume that online is a "mess", when in fact it's the best part of this whole game. I have the PC version and I have been playing NOTHING but multiplayer since day one and it's even MORE enjoyable than 2010. I have encountered only TWO blatant wreckers/rammers in the whole time I've been playing the game online. 95% of the time races are clean and gentlemen-like. I would stop playing the game right now altogether if I was forced to only play the offline career mode.

Online is the bomb!

You have got to be kidding me. Are you being sarcastic? Its an abomination, the penalties are more broken than last year! I've only encountered like 2 people who AREN'T blatant wreckers and rammers! Just this evening I was rammed onto the side of a kerb and given a penalty for corner cutting, haha. Its a fucking joke. Then theres the 20 second gap at the end of races between the fuckers who know the 11 bug and those who don't. Awful.

fresquito

I'm having a lot of fun in career mode. Last night I finished Sepng. I ended up in 19th position. Was asked 18th, but couldn't do it. I choose bad strategy that resulted in two big fuck ups. The most important meant I lostb everything I had worked until that point. I could fought for entering the points, but I spinned in the worst moment. Then the second fuck up meant I was without tires and I spinned in the last turn and I was overtaken and that meant I went from 18th to 19th.

But I had a lot of fun and that's what's it all about. Now on to China!

Ravenn17

Does anybody know why I'm getting persistent rumble/jerkiness from my Fanatec PWTS when I drive a car in a straight line? I tried fiddling linearity, steering saturation, etc last night but nothing fixed the problem. As soon as I turn the wheel left or right it goes away, but if I leave the wheel centered there's this obvious jerk/rumble from the wheel.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Ride height and suspension? I'm confused, ride height is in suspension.. And do you mean both the front and rear?
yes my mistake, I was thinking softness and height... either way it's giving cars a few seconds per lap better performance.

Makes me think about how codies setup the games choices for suspension if the car can be abused by doing such things, what happens when it's all 1/1?

I refuse to play my pc copy until it's fixed :p

Diablohead said:
yes my mistake, I was thinking softness and height... either way it's giving cars a few seconds per lap better performance.

Makes me think about how codies setup the games choices for suspension if the car can be abused by doing such things, what happens when it's all 1/1?

I refuse to play my pc copy until it's fixed :p

So its not the stiffness, but the ride height? Lol sorry for the constant questions but I'm still unsure which EXACT thing to be changing. What exact option in the setup screen am I changing to 11 here? Haha

EDIT-
Kyaw said:
It's the spring stiffness 11/11.

Try to not use it as i'm sure the league will ban it too.

....So it IS the spring stiffness?? AAAAAHHHHH

Shaneus

Foliorum Viridum said:
We simply can't start it in the current state.
Quite literally, it seems!

I'd try and make the most of the delay by brushing up on the game, but I still struggle to get it running the way I want. Even if I disable crossfire and tweak all the settings, little things still crop up like not running in DX11 even though it's enabled in the menu.

I did give the game a crack on a 360 kiosk the other day and was pleasantly surprised with how it looks. They did alright graphics-wise on the 360.

Iknos

Played more of this on the PS3 with the G27 and I'm getting into it more.

Getting a good grip on the limits of the Lotus and am able to do decent runs in Malaysia.

I did find out after practice that my racing line was off. That's because in practice it was wet and I could see the line where all the displaced water was.

In anticipation for the 4za demo I hook up my Fanatec P911TS to my table and try it with F1 and it didn't feel right at all.

On the G17 my settings were everything set to 0% in te first screen and in the FFB strength screen I had 0% environmental effects because I can't stand the clacking the wheel does at that time and the others set to 100%. I like wheel weight at 100% because I realized it allowed me to feel the 210 or 270 degree lock points. You can still move beyond that point but you do feel it so you know when to stop turning.

On the Fanatec I had the same settings but 100% on environmental effects this time since the belt driven effect is much smoother and feels more natural.

But the wheel itself felt very off. Word of warning i still haven't upgraded my firmware. So I only have a few settings. Also things like Drift go to 3 max while I think it's higher now. My FFB is 100 and my deg is 210. Drift at 0. Abs set at 60 as it doesn't seem to work in F1 that doesn't matter.

This makes me hesitant on getting the 360 version for myself. Was already planning on getting it for someone else and so o could borrow it if I want to experience this game with decent graphics. The PS3 version is graphocally horrible don't let anyone tell you otherwise. But with the G27 it feels very good.

This is a new experience for me maybe that is why I'm forgiving. I think full race weekends should be standard in racers and DNFs should always be a possibility. Flag and penalty systems too. People who played 2010 are familiar with all this but I passed on that game so it's new to me.

Now don't get me wrong I understand everyones frustrations here. Despite the issues and my distaste for the PS3 graphics I am having fun. Maybe it's the physics. I love driving in this game. Tracks are great. Tracks I like too.

mclaren777

SunhiLegend said:
Correcting the car and trying beat the A.I on Legend is really tough. Its so much harder with no assists (except auto gears) in the wet especially when using a pad.
I think auto transmission is probably the most helpful driving assist.

This game is an absolute embarrassment, I wouldn't want to show my face in public if i was on the development team. To release it in such a shocking state is a joke. I'm so fed up of being given penalties in the online side of things in 9/10 races due to others shunting me around. This was one of the main things they needed to fix from last year and its far worse. Terrible, its a bloody disgrace. Do they not do any testing of their games or what? I mean last year should have been a wake up call, this year is far far worse for game breaking bugs after launch. Pathetic. /rant

1-D_FTW

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
This game is an absolute embarrassment, I wouldn't want to show my face in public if i was on the development team. To release it in such a shocking state is a joke. I'm so fed up of being given penalties in the online side of things in 9/10 races due to others shunting me around. This was one of the main things they needed to fix from last year and its far worse. Terrible, its a bloody disgrace. Do they not do any testing of their games or what? I mean last year should have been a wake up call, this year is far far worse for game breaking bugs after launch. Pathetic. /rant

It's probably just the shitty ass netcode. Cars never seem to be where they actually are for me. Maybe it's showing you one thing, you're reacting to what it's showing you, and then bam... penalty for a collision you never even see.

I could make some hilarious videos with FRAPS if I cared enough to record their products.

HenryHSH

Orgun said:
Huh, just had a race where it said my fuel was optimal - yet come the last four corners I ran out

Never use rich mixture. I was never able to finish a race using rich mixture, even if I use it for less than a full lap.

Orgun said:
Huh, just had a race where it said my fuel was optimal - yet come the last four corners I ran out
does the game warn you any laps before you might run out? imo running optimal doesn't mean it will last all the time in any racer.

1-D_FTW said:
It's probably just the shitty ass netcode. Cars never seem to be where they actually are for me. Maybe it's showing you one thing, you're reacting to what it's showing you, and then bam... penalty for a collision you never even see.

I could make some hilarious videos with FRAPS if I cared enough to record their products.

Could well be, sounds like a reasonable explaination. Whatever it is, its annoying as fuck and sickening to experience every race.

fresquito

HenryHSH said:
Never use rich mixture. I was never able to finish a race using rich mixture, even if I use it for less than a full lap.
My engie tells me when to shift mixtures. I obey him: it works.

Another race, another 10 second penalty for being spun. The spinner gets away with it. What the hell.. Its dismal. One of the most unenjoyable online experiences of this gen for me here.

Edit - The race after, disqualified for corner cutting after 2 concecutive corners of being shoved onto the inside kerb. Laughable stuff. Really resent coughing up the full price for this garbage.

Lucius86

Banned
So I managed to get the house move done and had some spare time to play this at last...

Single-player is a lot of fun, and tough. Definitely got used to KERS and DRS now, after swapping my buttons so the left should is the DRS. Starting to get into it (definitely not going to be a front-runner though) but I refuse to play with 11:11 springs. So I am not going online at all until a patch is out that resolves this issue.

arena08

Gah, this game is frustrating. I love it, but it's so deeply flawed. The fact that the pit-stop release issue still hasn't been resolved infuriates me.

In F1 2010 I played career mode without tyre deg because of it. That way I could build up a lead and pit after everyone else had stopped, or drop into the pits on the first lap. I was hoping it would be different this time but having just this second done my first dry race of the season at Sepang I see the problem is still there.

If I'm leading when going into the pits with Alonso and Vettel just behind me I could maybe expect them to pass me, but for half the field to pass me leaving me in 15th place coming out of the pits I just feel like what's the point in continuing.

I'd really like to play with tyre deg on because it adds a lot to the racing, but with the pit-stops being so fucked I don't think I can play without it.

Such a shame that the game can be broken by something that should be easy to get right.

Orgun

Kyaw said:
Stop It rages so much in COOP mode. ><
I was just smiling all the way through his rage fits.
Hahaha that sounds like stopIt :)

Did Monaco in single player last night, qualifying was in the wet, that was a tough! Monaco is a lot more fun to drive in this, never got on with it in 2010.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Kyaw said:
Stop It rages so much in COOP mode. ><
I was just smiling all the way through his rage fits.
Thanks! I have learned that I hate the AI to death. I think they found every way possible to ruin my laps, blocking, slowing down to near stop mid corner, moving out of the way only to re-take the racing line (Alonso you utter bastard) etc. It's enough to make me want to throw things at the TV.
Orgun said:
Hahaha that sounds like stopIt :)

Did Monaco in single player last night, qualifying was in the wet, that was a tough! Monaco is a lot more fun to drive in this, never got on with it in 2010.
Haha! Hey, I cannot deny it, I WILL get annoyed at the game at some point, and you WILL hear me make that perfectly clear. Just wait until the league, if me or Lucius especially have a random failure, we'll probably invent all new profanities on the spot.

Orgun

Hahahahah I hink it's time I put the difficulty up to Legendary for my singe player! Just did Montreal, qualified on pole...on primes and was first the entire race...lean fuel the whole way :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Another race, another 10 second penalty for being spun. The spinner gets away with it. What the hell.. Its dismal. One of the most unenjoyable online experiences of this gen for me here.

Edit - The race after, disqualified for corner cutting after 2 concecutive corners of being shoved onto the inside kerb. Laughable stuff. Really resent coughing up the full price for this garbage.

I can relate mate. I can definitely relate. Penalty system is way harsher and more sensitive this year. They need to tweak it because just a *slight* fucking graze results in a collision XP penalty or worse, a time penalty. It's bullshit.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
From the official CM forums/Helios regarding the first PC/360 patch for F1 2011

Xbox 360 Status - Patch has now passed submission, we are now waiting for a confirmed release date.

PC Status - Patch has now passed submission, due for release at approx 10pm GMT on 4th Oct
Typical timing, I wont be home for 3 days and the first patch gets released, bah!

Isn't that patch the first one where the springs and other problems are not fixed? where they had 2 weeks to update the game but no one in their studio ever tried 11/11 springs to see if it broke anything, or thought the online lobby was actually useable?

piss poor

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
Isn't that patch the first one where the springs and other problems are not fixed? where they had 2 weeks to update the game but no one in their studio ever tried 11/11 springs to see if it broke anything, or thought the online lobby was actually useable?

piss poor
Yeah, on the forums a few weeks ago it basically sounded like this was the patch for the stuff that they didn't clean up before release that they knew about. Which I don't think was a heck of a lot in comparison to what everyone knows now.

Given it was evident from day one that there were more problems that they weren't aware of, wouldn't it be in their interest to hold off on releasing it while they fix some other, more severe bugs?

Edit: Oh, awesome. Just read this on the forums from a regular user:
Codemasters technical support responded to me saying that the game did not support Crossfire. They have no intention of implementing a patch to do so.

Bare in mind this doesn't just impact 2 cards but also the 4870X2, 5970 and 6990.

With CM not fixing it all we can hope for is a fix from the graphics card companies, although I suspect all they can really do is disable crossfire/SLI by default to avoid problems.
Fucking woeful. Definitely not buying 2012 at all, regardless of how much better it is than this version. I still just don't get how this manages to run so poorly and is so unoptimised when something that uses exactly the same engine (Dirt 3) beasts along and uses every inch of both my GPUs and CPU.

Angst

What I don't get is why none of the reviews mentioned any of the issues? Money hatted or do they simply don't know anything about racing sims?

DigitalFoundry is doing an analysis later today I think, that will be interesting...

Angst said:
What I don't get is why none of the reviews mentioned any of the issues? Money hatted or do they simply don't know anything about racing sims?

DigitalFoundry is doing an analysis later today I think, that will be interesting...
i can't see many reviewers knowing the F1 rules especially in america, and 11/11 seems to be something the devs should have tested out...

deim0s

Angst said:

I don't think reviewers actually tinker with car setups when they review racing games.

They'll see the menus and screens and just write about having that feature in and say something like "This game offers you complete control of your car from wing angles and suspension to cater to your driving style! 4 stars!"

Diablohead said:
i can't see many reviewers knowing the F1 rules especially in america, and 11/11 seems to be something the devs should have tested out...

Testing stuff on 2011?? No way, Codies don't do that! Thats valuble time taken away from the new game breaking bug filled code they're working on for the 2012 edition! ;)

Angst

Diablohead said:
True, but they should have known about the bug where you get penalized by ten seconds after a spin etc and the 11/11 bug isn't one of the big issues with the game for me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
reviewers are fucking worthless these days.

fresquito

dinosaur_hunter2 said:
Finally got my game this morning. Now I'll be able to join GAF PS3 League :D

EDIT: Could anyone please explain the 11:11 springs bug to me?
Set your springs to 11/11. Welcome to Outrun F1 Edition.

Angst

They are working on a second patch to fix the issues people have complained about!

Just so you all know the team are currently working on a 2nd patch for all platforms. We're aware of the issues being reported.

We'll see how that turns out.

Staab

Yeah so first patch is out for steam users now.

From Twitter :
"No change list - it's lots of little tweaks (Safety Car Online, AI DRS use, Small Lap Time and Race Engineer tweaks etc.)"

So that's pretty much what was expected (ie: mostly jack shit) and shouldn't change anything substantially.

Now to wait for the real patch...

Top Bottom