• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Shaneus

Staab said:
Yeah so first patch is out for steam users now.

From Twitter :
"No change list - it's lots of little tweaks (Safety Car Online, AI DRS use, Small Lap Time and Race Engineer tweaks etc.)"

So that's pretty much what was expected (ie: mostly jack shit) and shouldn't change anything substantially.

Now to wait for the real patch...
Bahahaha. I just know that the real patch won't contain all the major fixes that people have complained about... there's just too many to do in one hit. And given Codies' policy of only releasing two patches (that may be due to GFWL charging for subsequent ones... but if a game this broken comes out they should fork over the money) then I'd say we've been sold a broken game.

People on their forums have been given Steam credit as form of a refund, so I may go down that route. At least, until it's cheaper/has been fixed to a reasonable standard.

1-D_FTW

Shaneus said:
People on their forums have been given Steam credit as form of a refund, so I may go down that route. At least, until it's cheaper/has been fixed to a reasonable standard.

How? Going through Codemaster's forum or through a Steam support ticket? I thought about filing a Steam ticket the day I bought it, but figured it was hopeless. Haven't touched it since.

Ark

I find it quite extraordinary how few people are playing F1 2011 considering it only released last week.

Sleeplessnights said:
I'm still waiting for Heart Attack Mode.

I think I've had the game stuck on fucking heart attack mode since I first booted it up, just thinking about the fucking 30 second lobby restarts is bringing my blood to a boil!! AAAHHH

Shaneus

1-D_FTW said:
How? Going through Codemaster's forum or through a Steam support ticket? I thought about filing a Steam ticket the day I bought it, but figured it was hopeless. Haven't touched it since.
I believe via Steam. They approached Codies and said "Speak to your retailer". I guess if they were successful it means that either they've spoken to Steam and authorised it or Steam are just honoring it and will then push it back on Codies.

Shaneus

Is that all? That's tiny... even for Steam. Shit, I've seen batch files bigger than that.

I bet it's just a script to set the replay file to read-only and change a couple of ini settings.

Sloane

Banned
Shaneus said:
but if a game this broken comes out they should fork over the money) then I'd say we've been sold a broken game.
What a surprise... considering EXACTLY THE SAME THING happened last year.

Shaneus

Sloane said:
What a surprise... considering EXACTLY THE SAME THING happened last year.
I know, but everyone was so excited for it this year and they (Codies, not the team specific to F1) managed to do a decent job with Dirt 3 so I figured this year it would be different.

Nope.

HenryHSH

AcridMeat said:
I got excited until I saw it was a 30mb patch.

Takes too long to download with your connection?
zvn24.gif

I nearly installed 2011 today but thought better and played more dirt 3 instead, was testing out a new wireless 360 receiver from ebay, works a treat.

Message me on Steam. I'll probably be playing The Witcher 2, but I'll be up for some racing if we can all get in a lobby.

I've only played for 20 hours and last played 11 days ago! Depressing.

AcridMeat

Banned
rhfb said:
F1 2011 |OT| The Lewis Hamilton of racing games
This is so perfect. Please make the edit mod.

HenryHSH said:
Takes too long to download with your connection?
zvn24.gif
Exactly. No hope at playing it until next week.
wigxw.gif

Orgun said:
Dude, let's try to race this evening. Maybe it has magically fixed your problem!
I may have time for a race or two around 8 your time. Have to go to uni to take care of some things/work at the radio later though.

The online is still so broken. People disconnecting left and right, horrible penalties being thrown around.

Starting to get seriously annoyed. If it takes much longer to fix I'll be playing BF3/MW3 online etc and this game will have lost me completely.

I think Lucius etc feel the same too judging by tonight which is a real shame.

Kyaw

It's fine for me, dunno what's going on that's too broken/bad. :/

That Melbourne race in the super wet was the highlight for me.

In a few races Phleg kept crashing, we all disconnected from Monaco and you failed to join in China.

That's a stupidly high connection failure rate. 2010 was nothing like that. I have no faith in the game to keep us together for longer than a race.

It does, but the activity on here is less than 2010 months and months after release.

I think it's important to capture a community early. That's what made 2010 so good. The longer it takes for them to make it acceptable for us to race together, the more games will have caught my attention. BF3 and MW3 are just around the corner!

AcridMeat

Banned
I think it's all a conspiracy. After Lucius played it at that community event he knew he was going to be the fastest no longer. He then broke into codemasters and deleted a bunch of netcode, rendering our 2011 league nonexistent.

Curse you!

Fixed1979

Enthusiasm has certainly tapered off...no matter, whenever it's deemed acceptable to start the league I'll be there. We've probably lost considerable interest from quite a few people at this point though.

***Goes back to RAGE, Dark Souls etc.***

Oh yeah, I'll definitely still want to do the league when online is functional! I just think that it's a real shame that on the first few days we had 20+ GAFers playing and now it's a struggle to get 5 on.

TylerD

I'm still going to be up for the league if some of the issues get ironed out but I am enjoying getting my ass kicked and loving it in Dark Souls for now.

Lucius86

Banned
AcridMeat said:
I think it's all a conspiracy. After Lucius played it at that community event he knew he was going to be the fastest no longer. He then broke into codemasters and deleted a bunch of netcode, rendering our 2011 league nonexistent.

Curse you!

ts-simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

Kyaw

That was a fun race at Silverstone.
Had fun defending against Orgun. :p

Only BF3 will have a big play time from me.
And single player games around the corner like Batman: AA, UC3 and Skyrim.

Mad_Ban

Foliorum Viridum said:
In a few races Phleg kept crashing...
That happens to me anyway... :p

Good racing with you guys when I wasn't ramming you off the road during the passes. Or Mumble killing my net :p

fresquito

I've got a refund from Steam.

If Codies ever fix the game, I'd buy it again, but I don't want to spend more time on this unfinished mess.

Fixed1979

fresquito said:
I've got a refund from Steam.

If Codies ever fix the game, I'd buy it again, but I don't want to spend more time on this unfinished mess.
One of the reasons Steam is awesome. The only game I've ever tried to get a refund for was Portal 2 and it wasn't much of a hassle, although the guy who gave it to me tried to make me feel like I was very special for getting it...

fresquito

Shaneus said:
How did you go about it?
Basically told them the truth: the game is unfinished garbage which I'm not fond of having spent my money on and they should be ashamed of selling these kind of products. I made a huge bugs list and, like Fixed said, they told me it was an special thing and yadda, yadda.

Steam is ace. And this is why I prefer them to any other service (although I'm not made for exclusivity).

gragy10

Congrats to Codemasters on creating a game that's made me realize PC gaming is not for me any more.
Turns out that with limited free time I actually prefer playing games I pay for instead of endless tweaking
( 1080p60 & steam sales i will miss you :( )

fresquito

gragy10 said:
Congrats to Codemasters on creating a game that's made me realize PC gaming is not for me any more.
Turns out that with limited free time I actually prefer playing games I pay for instead of endless tweaking
( 1080p60 & steam sales i will miss you :( )
Sorry, but that's really shortsighted. If you're tired of tweaking, stop tweaking. PC offers the chance to tweak, it's not mandatory. And besides, this is not PC gaming fault, it's Codies', and it's them that should get all the blame.

Ark said:
I find it quite extraordinary how few people are playing F1 2011 considering it only released last week.

Why?

The game is buggy piece of shit. I cut my losses and got shot of it, I managed to get £28 so it's not too bad of a loss. I certainly won't be taken in again with any future F1 game from Codemasters. They've clearly demonstrated on three occasions that they're not up to the job.

I've read that they're ignoring their customer complaints on the forums? Typical Codemasters. Show up when trying to pimp the game, but when the shit hits the fan, dive for cover and hide. Pathetic. Their exclusive grip on the license needs revoking asap.

What I don't get is why none of the reviews mentioned any of the issues?

Because they're disgusting shit bags. Every single one of them who scored this game above 6/10 should be ashamed of themselves.

Xun

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Why?

The game is buggy piece of shit. I cut my losses and got shot of it, I managed to get £28 so it's not too bad of a loss. I certainly won't be taken in again with any future F1 game from Codemasters. They've clearly demonstrated on three occasions that they're not up to the job.

I've read that they're ignoring their customer complaints on the forums? Typical Codemasters. Show up when trying to pimp the game, but when the shit hits the fan, dive for cover and hide. Pathetic. Their exclusive grip on the license needs revoking asap.
I'm pretty sure it'll all be fixed.

It's a good game, despite the problems at the moment.

Top Bottom