• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

gragy10

To clarify that isn't supposed to sound as troll'ish as it does.

Tweaking has always been one of the selling points for PC gaming (to me anyway) so speaking as someone who's got tired of the tweaking aspect (especially when it comes to getting multi format ports running properly on a PC many times more powerful than the current consoles) I'd rather settle for a B grade experience that works straight out the box rather than sink valuable free time into getting games to run as they should.

Agreed that CM have been the catalyst for this but after wrestling with similar problems with EA, Activ and Ubi plus my own increasing ambivalence about the platform I'm happy with my decision.

Re: F1 2011 it's self, the fact this made it through QA in this state would be hilarious if it wasn't such a blatant swindle. The online features simply do not work on PC, certainly for longer than a single game. Single player is essentially a great game, but with so many bugs and performance issues it's difficult to get any consistent pleasure from it

fresquito

Foliorum Viridum said:
He's trolled every F1 thread we have - don't waste your time.
To be honest, nothing he's said is wrong. The game is in beta state at the moment. It's not that it needs tweaking and fixing, it needs to be finished. It's a shame, because the driving model is good enough and the AI is good enough. Graphic fidelity is fantastic all around too.

I was having fun until my save got corrupted for the second time in two weeks.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
I will be.

I'm gonna play some Gears 3 or Witcher 2 this afternoon, but I'd be up for some racing tonight probably. :)

Won't be able to race tonight :( I'm probably not gonna be back home until near midnight.

Kyaw

Orgun said:
Any of the PC guys feel like some racing this weekend?

Yeah sure!

I have Friday off. :)
I'm going to repeat this again....

The game is GREAT when it works! :p
I personally haven't encountered any game breaking bugs myself. (Stop It has, with me.)
The only bad thing i've got at the moment is the poor performance even though i have a relatively high end setup.

Manik

Foliorum Viridum said:
I will be.

I'm gonna play some Gears 3 or Witcher 2 this afternoon, but I'd be up for some racing tonight probably. :)
I'll probably be around for a few races this evening - not been on in a while, due to the fiasco with the disconnects / bugs, but willing to at least give it another go, seeing as it's so much fun when it does work.

HeliosT10

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I've read that they're ignoring their customer complaints on the forums? Typical Codemasters. Show up when trying to pimp the game, but when the shit hits the fan, dive for cover and hide. Pathetic. Their exclusive grip on the license needs revoking asap.

Don't know where you got that statement about ignoring complaints on the forums but it's rubbish. Take a look at my post history on our forums and you'll see plenty of accounts of myself trying to help people with problems and/or stating that issues have been passed on to the devs for investigation.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/search.php?searchid=7178266

I'm sorry some of you are having issues with the game presently, but the team are working flat-out on a 2nd patch based in large part around the issues reported post-launch.

fresquito

Helios_CM said:
Don't know where you got that statement about ignoring complaints on the forums but it's rubbish. Take a look at my post history on our forums and you'll see plenty of accounts of myself trying to help people with problems and/or stating that issues have been passed on to the devs for investigation.

I'm sorry some of you are having issues with the game presently, but the team are working flat-out on a 2nd patch based in large part around the issues reported post-launch.
Sorry Helios, but I don't buy into the "team are working hard" thing. Of course, this is not about dev guys, I understand they do their best. But I'd be ashamed to release a game that's not finished and then call it a day. Codies knew the game was unfinished. There's no way they could ignore the truth when it's so obvious.

I hope people change their mind inside the company, because as of now, it looks like customers are simply treated like walking coins that must be grabbed at all costs (GFWL, bugs passing from F12010 into 2011, Dirt3 DLC, releasing unfinished products...). There's so much talent inside the company, they don't need to act like this.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Helios_CM said:

Helios, while I do not deny that you guys are working towards addressing the issues with F1 2011, again your companies (And I'm afraid your) communication with the community has left a lot to be desired.

F1 2010 was marked by a patch that didn't fix enough (I'll let FV mention the Force India pitting bug) and then Codemasters went silent and hoped people would forget about the game or something. What I am I'm sure others are worried about is that the same will be repeated, the next patch will omit to actually fix issues that damage the game and we'll be left again to wait until F1 2012.

To allay those fears, could you please, this time issue a list of bugs that are actually being investigative/fixed PRIOR to the patch being released. The community would be more than willing to help identify and eliminate bugs if only they knew which ones the dev team were having troubles reproducing.

Just knowing what is being done, and what isn't to patch F1 2011, rather than being told a generic "we're looking into it" message upon requests for information would restore a heck of a lot of trust from the F1 community, something that has been pretty badly damaged in the last few weeks.

We're all F1 and racing fans here, we're not mugs, so please, could Codemasters stop treating us like them?

Ark

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh, I agree it's very broken, I've said so much myself. He just decided he wasn't going to like the game long before it was released.

Funny considering I'd been looking forward to this ever since I stopped playing F1 2010, but there you go. Guess I'm just trolling away again.

Orgun

Foliorum Viridum said:
Uh... I was talking about Wax.

Also, Lucius, Kyaw and I are racing now if people want to hop on!
:( gonna be at least another 20 minutes before I get home and I guess you babies will all be in bed by then

Orgun

I'm looki g forward to spending some more time with F1 2011 this Saturday/sunday. If anyone sees me on steam and wants a race just drop me a chat invite!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Im on everyday on pc. Already rank 50 online. Add me :)

Stop It

Orgun said:
I'm looki g forward to spending some more time with F1 2011 this Saturday/sunday. If anyone sees me on steam and wants a race just drop me a chat invite!
I'll be about this weekend, probably. If you or anyone is around on Steam just join the GAF F1 2011 chat if you want to play.

1-D_FTW

Did Codemaster's remove securom with the patch?

Was playing Dirt 3 today and decided to shut down the securom.exe in the task manager just to see what happened? Would the game shut down? So I did. And I kept playing full screen without a single crash. I know Dirt 2 and F1 2010 also always ran a second .exe from Sony DADC and always suspected this was an issue with the crashing.

Anyways, was going to go and test this theory out on F1 2011. Load the game, go to task manager, and there's no second .exe running from Sony DADC. So I start playing. I've put in a couple hours without a single crash. Contrast this to about 10 crashes in 55 minutes on the first day.

It's possible the wind is just blowing right and this is the reason for not crashing today, but I wish I would have looked at the task manager when it launched. I'm really wondering if they isolated the issue to securom and did something in the patch.

Has anyone else with crashing problems stopped since the patch?

Shaneus

I haven't given it a crack, but I always had problems with it never quite launching (F1_2011.exe would be running but doing nothing and trying to re-launch the game would pop up with "F1_2011.exe is already running!"). If it turns out that's the problem, I'll be a bit happy.

But, if it turns out that's the source of other problems and (like mentioned on the official forums by Helios) the first patch was already underway only to fix problems they knew about, that's a bit shit.

Orgun

Huh just encountered what I think is a weird bug (yes, another one).

I was doing a quali session at Valencia and decided to head out for another lap because I was dropping down the board. Hit flying lap but instead of it driving fast when the computer had control it was slowing down and then after I take over the car feels HORRIBLE under braking. The car shakes violently, the car doesnt slow down anywhere near as much and the wheels constantly lock.

Stop It

Mad_Ban said:
Is the GAF crew up for some racing this evening? I'm free all day so send me a message on my Steam to let me know :)
I can do...if my game actually starts.

Just changed ATi drivers and the game crashes on start-up, oh dear.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Helios_CM said:

The only way to get a little bit of respect is to be completely honest with us at this point. I don't think it's a stretch to say that you guys owe it to us. So, let's get this straight:

Is there going to be at least a 3rd patch on PC?

Yen

I haven't played online but apart from the AI using TC in the wet, I've had no bugs or glitches (360). Feels good man.
But I've jinxed it now.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Diablohead said:
is it faster to level or have you just been playing it non stop? how many 11/11 players have you had to put up with?

a little bit of both actually. It seems faster to level when you meet your objectives. Plus yeah, I've been playing online exclusively and non-stop, though I haven't played in about 5 days, due to DFO.

11/11? I can't even use that bug if I wanted to because for some reason it doesn't affect ALL pc players. I am one of the few who don't experience it so I have to fight for my victories the legit way.

I have a well deserved day off work today and I am tempted to try 2011 out finally, I want to wait for the patch but with forza 4 so close if I don't play it now i'll probably never will.

Knowing about the AI's cheating in the wet is going to annoy me a fair bit just from thought.

Shaneus

Another one? There's already been one released but that was just to cover the shit that they knew had to be fixed when the game went gold. Basically, the stuff that should've been fixed BEFORE it was published.

The second one that (which everyone is hoping, but doubts) will fix everything hasn't even been announced.

GuessWho

Oh geez, ive never seen such a buggy mess. My friend of mine, has had so much trouble with it, its ridiculous. Not only did the game simply refuse to work, but it looks like it fucked his computer!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GuessWho said:
Oh geez, ive never seen such a buggy mess. My friend of mine, has had so much trouble with it, its ridiculous. Not only did the game simply refuse to work, but it looks like it fucked his computer!
I bet it also killed his pet

Orgun and I just started a co-op career.

Practice: I leave the pits, brake for the first corner, my car goes invisible and I'm wrecked. The screen says 0mph but 100% damage.

We restart.

Practice went fine that time, but both Orgun and I got penalities, 10 grid positions, neither of which were applied in the race.

Then in qualifying I did ONE hot lap, broke for the first corner, and again my car magically wrecked itself. 0mph, 100% damage...

In the race I was doing good, got into first place, pitted, came out of the pits and on the third corner, WHAM, I hit absolutely nothing and my car is wrecked. 0mph, 100% damage.

I was just saying to Orgun I forgot how fun it is to drive in this game. Shame everything else is utterly broken.

Disappointment of the year by far.

Kyaw

Damn, sounds bad, the coop career between me and Stop It was fine apart from the retarded practice/qualifying AI and corrupted save files.

Staab

We're coming close to a month after release:

- game is broken beyond belief in every aspect (SP / MP)
- a first real patch is not even in testing stages
- Totaled 11hours of gametime (I did that within 24hours with the first title)

-> I'm seriously wondering if one patch will even be able to make the game remotely playable for us to start a league, let alone fix most of the issues (which they won't because we all know there isn't going to be a second patch).

Didn't learn my lesson the first time, but there's no way in hell I'm buying the next game on launch.

A great disappointment for sure.

Wow, after so much hype building up to the release of this, I cant remember a game being its own buzz kill for a long time. The bugs and lack of quick fixing is really damaging the franchise, let alone the game itself. What are they playing at?? Smh

fresquito

Fuck Codies. I got a refund from Steam, I've invested in C.A.R.S. and I'm having a lot of fun. Although it's still pre-alpha, it's giving me less problems than F1 2011 ever did after going gold. I'm never buying any other Codies games. In fact, I will tell all my relatives and friends about my experience with their product in hope they will do the same.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sleeplessnights said:
Doesn't explain why they don't have more than 2 patches on the PS3!

I doubt they can get these out that easy, and want to get it out on all platforms at the same time. Or something. I don't know man! I just wish it worked. :(

Top Bottom