• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Mad_Ban

Tried Kyaws setting and all is very well. Much thanks lads :)

Just beat my best Spa time by 2 tenths haha (I chose an easy track layout to start with).

Amazed by how much better the feedpack and precision is in the driving.

Speech

Aww, does this mean I'm the only one left using a 360 controller now?

Not used a wheel since my old Sidewinder years ago, and don't expect to be able to get a new one any time soon.

Orgun

Not used a wheel since my old Sidewinder years ago, and don't expect to be able to get a new one any time soon.

I think so.

I could never go back to a pad now, if my wheel ever broke I would just stop playing racing games all together until I could replace it. Tried to play Forza with a pad, couldnt do it.

kharma45

If I can make it on Saturday (should be able to) I'll be using a pad too.

Mad_Ban

Aaaaaand the FFB has stopped working on the wheel. I suppose it's become spiteful after 7 months in my cupboard haha.

Back to the pad it is :p

Uni assignments finished!

Some practice at Monaco tonight? I have a LOT of frustration after writing so many thousands of words and putting Orgun and Lucius in to a wall is the perfect cure.

...I mean, I want to perfect how to exit the tunnel...

Orgun

Some practice at Monaco tonight? I have a LOT of frustration after writing so many thousands of words and putting Orgun and Lucius in to a wall is the perfect cure.

I'm game! I had a few practice laps yesterday and that first fucking corner always gets me.

Speech

I'm in, need all the practice I can get for Monaco.

Manik

I should hopefully be around this evening for some Monaco practice. It's been a hectic past week or so, so this seems the perfect way to get back into some F1 :)

I'm conflicted about 2012. The smart thing to do is wait it out and see what the game is like after people have had time to see how broken it is, but man, not hitting that pre-order button will be tough...

Especially since I'll be wanting to get a league going ASAP in it!

I'm just glad this game is finally playable at the moment. It was a long, shitty road, but it's a great game and the league is starting to rival 2010 now I feel. That doesn't make up for the horrendous blunders, but it's better than what I was expecting.

Yeah, I think I am going to skip out on this league until a next season or a 2012 league comes out. I really, really want to do it, but I've noticed that...

While I have very competitive times with the times posted here, I am still using a goddamn PS3 CONTROLLER! Which means I make WAY more mistakes than I do with a wheel, and I don't want to mess anyone up. I love racing fair and clean, and I know that if I make a mistake and ruin someone's race, I'll feel awful.

So I'm going to get a wheel in a couple of months and see how things go from there.

Shaneus

Online takes a different priority for me, though. Having dropped a semi-decent amount of cash on a gaming rig, getting something simple like satisfactory performance (which never seemed to be an engine problem, given Dirt 2 and 3 run flawlessly) should be a given, theoretically allowing them to focus strictly on gameplay bugs with the two patches they have. But given that not only have there been some horrible technical issues (DX11/CFX, performance issues on some quad-CPU systems, game crashes, inefficient port overall) and the fact that their first patch was to fix problems that they knew of prior to the game being shipped (meaning they only really had one patch to fix ALL those issues), I have zero confidence that they'll release anything approaching a product worthy of public consumption, let alone something worth paying $50 for.

Yeah, it may be hard to hold off if they do get most things right, but I'm more on the side of at least trying to teach Codies a lesson. There were so many things they could've done both prior to and post-release but didn't, and I simply can't reward that behaviour with a blind purchase... or any kind of purchase at more than, say, 25% of it's original price. It'll certainly be hard for me to recommend 2012 to those I pushed into getting 2011.

Yeah, I think I am going to skip out on this league until a next season or a 2012 league comes out. I really, really want to do it, but I've noticed that...

While I have very competitive times with the times posted here, I am still using a goddamn PS3 CONTROLLER! Which means I make WAY more mistakes than I do with a wheel, and I don't want to mess anyone up. I love racing fair and clean, and I know that if I make a mistake and ruin someone's race, I'll feel awful.

So I'm going to get a wheel in a couple of months and see how things go from there.

If someone spins and hits you it's just one of those things. None of us care about that.

What we would get angry over is blocking, ramming, etc etc. None of us are perfect and I'm SURE that at Monaco this weekend some of us will crash and take others with us. It's just one of those things.

So if you want to give it a go you should! We're not a scary bunch of lads :)

Also, I'm hosting a lobby in Monaco, 3 laps, all assists allowed... and nobody is joining. It seems impossible to find races with people in this game compared to 2010. I'm glad I have you guys to race with so I don't need to sit in a lobby like this all the time.

Orgun

If someone spins and hits you it's just one of those things. None of us care about that.

What we would get angry over is blocking, ramming, etc etc. None of us are perfect and I'm SURE that at Monaco this weekend some of us will crash and take others with us. It's just one of those things.

So if you want to give it a go you should! We're not a scary bunch of lads :)

Also, I'm hosting a lobby in Monaco, 3 laps, all assists allowed... and nobody is joining. It seems impossible to find races with people in this game compared to 2010. I'm glad I have you guys to race with so I don't need to sit in a lobby like this all the time.

Yeah man, join us.

Really Foli? I hosted a session set to 20% full sim with all assists banned and had a couple people jump in instantly. That was in the evening though.

I just ran about 1:12 on my first Monaco lap in over a month to see if I needed practice. Not a bad lap, although I almost spun once or twice. I am going to do a race in traffic first, because if I did this race in my first real race in over a month, at goddamn Monaco, it would be a disaster. xP

1:12 is a damn good time. Supposing your race is a success and you didn't wipe out 90% of the drivers, I say one of the free spots in the league is yours if you want it :)

My race went smooth. But if I do join in, I'll probably play it extremely safe. I don't plan on charging hard the entire race, and I'll probably purposely qualify towards the back considering how often crashes happen on that first corner. xP

Awesome! You bring us up to 15/16... not bad at all :D Unfortunately you don't have a teammate, but if you think glass half full that automatically makes you the #1 driver!

FV - McLaren
Speech - McLaren
Orgun - Ferarri
Kyaw - Ferarri
Lucius - Red Bull
Stop It - Red Bull
Crumbs - Force India
Hardan - Force India
Staab - Renault
Kharma45 - Renault
Manik - Sauber
Ctw0e - Sauber
Mad Ben - Williams
Acrid - Williams
The Mana Legend - Mercedes
FREE SPOT - Mercedes

You should add me on Steam and GFWL. My info (and the info for the guys above) are in the second post of the thread :)

Orgun

Awesome! You bring us up to 15/16... not bad at all :D Unfortunately you don't have a teammate, but if you think glass half full that automatically makes you the #1 driver!

FV - McLaren
Speech - McLaren
Orgun - Ferarri
Kyaw - Ferarri
Lucius - Red Bull
Stop It - Red Bull
Crumbs - Force India
Hardan - Force India
Staab - Renault
Kharma45 - Renault
Manik - Sauber
Ctw0e - Sauber
Mad Ben - Williams
Acrid - Williams
The Mana Legend - Mercedes
FREE SPOT - Mercedes

You should add me on Steam and GFWL. My info (and the info for the guys above) are in the second post of the thread :)

Shouldn't we replace Stop It? That way lucius can have a team mate :)

Okay then, I'll add you guys. My name for every one of my accounts is Rambotipelto, so just a warning when you get it that it isn't The Mana Legend.

So it's between 4-5 pm GMT every Saturday? That should be around noonish where I live, so that should work out great!

Stop It has made 2/3 races so far. He was away last weekend with his rugby team I think which is why he didn't show up.

I think he'll still be able to make some races, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him next time he's on (and tell him you want him kicked out, you meanie).

Edit: Yep, we start 4:30pm GMT :)

Mad_Ban

The league is decently populated now, and it's competitive as hell! :)

We've come a long way since launch, and it's really nice to see so many people in the league.

Except for the 11/11 cheats who are faster than me ;)

Orgun

Stop It has made 2/3 races so far. He was away last weekend with his rugby team I think which is why he didn't show up.

I think he'll still be able to make some races, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him next time he's on (and tell him you want him kicked out, you meanie).

Edit: Yep, we start 4:30pm GMT :)

Wait we've only had three races? Feels like a lot more. Ok I thought he hadn't shown for any so np :)

He was a victim of the mass disconnect at Melbourne and I think his router let him down in Canada, so he hasn't really RACED much, but he has shown up!

And Kyaw, I'm down for it whenever.

Do you work with full penalties/flags, or reduced? Just asking, because some of the times I've been penalized for so-called "cut corners" is pretty ridiculous. I just barely tapped the rumble strips, and I got penalized, and ruined a lap that would have otherwise given me a 1:10:56. Yet other times, my car can be entirely past the strip, but they don't penalize me.

That's the only issue I've ever had with the game. The penalities are super unforgiving or completely nonexistent, and there's rarely a middle ground for me.

It makes no sense!

We use reduced rules, so if you cut a corner a couple of times you'll get a time penalty, but it's not as harsh as full rules where they seemingly give out drive-throughs randomly at times.

Kyaw

More like, Wing degradation will be tough for me. :p

Got like 1:11.2xx in the race. I was pushing like hell every lap until my wings get crushed...

I need get my shit together and protect my wings.

Lucius86

Banned
Whoever is my team mate will just get annoyed with me dictating how I used to be awesome at F1. Probably best for everyone I'm a lone warrior.

Not done any praccy yet - Sat morning it is!

Just pulled a 1:11 at Monaco. Still pissed that I "cut" the corner on my run that would have put me into 1:10, but whatever. I am fully satisfied for the night and will practice more tomorrow.

Top Bottom