• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Kyaw

Can you guys make it to a 4 o'clock race tomorrow, please? (4:00 GMT)

I have to go somewhere important at 5:30 and I really don't want to miss Monaco.

kharma45

What your Steam name as well, Kharma?

I'm jameslove8 on Steam.

Had a few practise goes around Monaco now, average around a 1:14:xx around it, not as bad as I was at the start but still way off you guys.

I'm gonna blame using the Xbox controller :p

Can you guys make it to a 4 o'clock race tomorrow, please? (4:00 GMT)

I have to go somewhere important at 5:30 and I really don't want to miss Monaco.

Suits me fine at least.

I'm okay starting earlier but I think it's an issue of everyone being aware this late notice. It'd suck for someone like Acrid to come online at 4:30 and we're in a race.

So 4pm GMT? Okay, got it. It's 11 am where I live, and I always get up at 6am every morning, so I'll definitely be ready.

Yeah, just someone send me an invite on Steam to it (or GFWL), since I'd probably never find it otherwise.

Oh, and unfortunately I do not have a headset for a while, so I'll have to suffer a 50% race in complete boring silence. ;_;

That's okay, Speech just sits in Mumble and listens to us. He's never spoke.

Either he has no voice or he's recording us to compile a bunch of incriminating sound clips at the end of the season!

Manik

I'm jameslove8 on Steam.

Had a few practise goes around Monaco now, average around a 1:14:xx around it, not as bad as I was at the start but still way off you guys.

I'm gonna blame using the Xbox controller :p

Suits me fine at least.
I'm still using a 360 pad too. You can come fight in a special back markers only race with me ;)

So are all races in dry condition?

Also, dammit, the PS3 controller is awful for racing games. I can't wait to get a wheel for PC. I have one for Xbox 360, but it's not compatible for PC, although I haven't really tried looking for any drivers or anything that might make it work.

Edit: I found a driver that will work with my wheel, but since I've been playing for the last week with the controller, I'll stick with that.

Edit 2: Okay, I'll practice under wet conditions for now.

AcridMeat

Banned
Will be practicing tonight after a failed attempt last night. The game crashed in grand prix mode, I did do a few laps in time trial. At least I saved some set ups this time.

kharma45

I'm still using a 360 pad too. You can come fight in a special back markers only race with me ;)

:lol if I can avoid the walls no problem! I've a slight tendency still to try to floor the cars out of corners and just losing the back end completely, which will not end well at Monaco.

:lol if I can avoid the walls no problem! I've a slight tendency still to try to floor the cars out of corners and just losing the back end completely, which will not end well at Monaco.

Try it using the PS3 triggers. I have been using that all week and one very slight touch to the trigger causes you to floor it in game. I'm surprised I could pull off 1:11 times with that garbage controller.

I just switched to my wheel and it controls much better. While I haven't gotten 1:11 lap times yet, I have yet to spin out from flooring it like I did with the PS3 controller all the time.

race-bannerfy1wg.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

Spa was a good week for McLaren as the one-two pushed their drivers up the table and makes the fight for the driver and constructor championship even tighter.

Red Bull, meanwhile, are already talking about the 2012 season and rumours are running strong that that they may be looking for new drivers in the following season. Defending champion Lucius86 is still struggling with the new car, introducing himself to the wall of Eau Rouge on the first lap of Spa, and Stop It is rumoured to be more focused on his rugby career than the GAF championship. Christian Horner was quoted saying that if his team doesn't pick up the slack soon "I'm going to be fired and have to go back to nude modeling."

Monaco always brings out the celebrities and this weekend is no different. Rowan Atkinson was quoted as calling Phleg a "bully brute" after his clashes with the McLarens in free practice. Phleg was later quoted as telling Lee McKenzie that Johnny English was a "shit film" and Atkinson was reportedly seen leaving the track in tears. Phleg was also on the bad side of Mercedes this week as sexual favours from Acrid ensured that he jumped ship to Williams. Will the new driver be what Williams need to push their way up the constructors table?

The grid is shaken up slightly this weekend by the introduction of two new drivers. Kharma45 joins Staab in Renault and The Mana Legend fills the spot of Phleg in Mercedes. Both drivers are somewhat daunted by the prospect of their first racing being in the Monaco streets.

There are also rumours in the paddock that Suzuka and Monza may not be the last two races of the season. Allegedly the FIA are thinking about adding a few more dates to the calendar. Orgun, the current leader of the championship, is expected to contest this idea on the grounds that he's shit and at the top by luck.

current-driver-standi8m0al.png

(We transferred the 6 points from F0rk to Kharma to keep the constructors table correct)

current-constructor-sjo4zi.png

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday January 24th, 4:00GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Big thanks to Kyaw for updating the tables so swiftly!

Lucius was an idiot and left the lobby open so we had two randoms in the race. Haha.

It was great having so many people turn up even though we had a few disconnects etc. I hope everyone comes back next week for a less chaotic race in Suzuka!

I was not at all prepared for wet conditions. I almost never race in rain, and I only did one two lap practice session the other day in rain. I did okay at first, but then I punctured a tire somehow and decided to spend the rest of the race trying to not fuck up everyone else's race.

But it was super fun, even if I spent the second half of the race going slow around hte track not trying to total my car.

Mad_Ban

Tried an early switch onto inters which fucked my race up. And to top it off I lost it under breaking for the chicane and hit the wall :/

Good fun though. Wish it was dry :p

Dilly

Banned
I hit the barriers and did some minor damage to my front wing, my Engineer shouted 'That's what we need, keep pushing!'

I laughed.

Lucius86

Banned
GAF CHAMP IS BACK.

Shame about the randoms and the sync issues. We need to try a different host maybe - Aussie and US people connecting were clearly too much.

Race Highlights

Definitely not as exciting as Spa last week. It was really tense having so many people on the grid and the rain, but it wasn't about the racing as much because of it. It was just trying to survive and picking your strategy. I only pitted once when I got my puncture (right by the pit entrance - so lucky!) and then again later I ducked in to go on inters before most people which really paid off.

I feel pretty good about slogging my way to 2nd because I had an abysmal first half of the race.

It sucks we had some tech trouble (disconnects and Acrid/Crumbs not being synced with us) but on the whole I had a lot of fun. If we have this many people again for Suzuka it should be a great race.

kharma45

Had to laugh at myself going straight on at the first corner at around 1:23 in the video, I was too busy trying to figure out where you were behind me Foliorum that the corner caught me by surprise. I was just pleased I didn't smash the wing off the barriers, managed to just about get it stopped in time.

Orgun

Race Highlights

Definitely not as exciting as Spa last week. It was really tense having so many people on the grid and the rain, but it wasn't about the racing as much because of it. It was just trying to survive and picking your strategy. I only pitted once when I got my puncture (right by the pit entrance - so lucky!) and then again later I ducked in to go on inters before most people which really paid off.

I feel pretty good about slogging my way to 2nd because I had an abysmal first half of the race.

It sucks we had some tech trouble (disconnects and Acrid/Crumbs not being synced with us) but on the whole I had a lot of fun. If we have this many people again for Suzuka it should be a great race.

Hahaha when you crashed. You dick

Kyaw

It was probably one of my worst races. I had raw speed but not consistency and it was raining too...

Many wings were lost in the making of that race.

Mad_Ban

Hmm....

On my screen Salacious, I overtook you into the first big left on lap 1, and you just vanished after that. Really strange how we were out of sync.

Salacious Crumb

kharma45

I must try recording the races when I eventually upgrade my GPU, I'd imagine my 5770 would shit itself if I tried it now. Enjoyed those videos guys.

Apologies btw for those that tried to lap me and I might have held them up a bit, I did try to get out of the way!

Lucius86

Banned
I must try recording the races when I eventually upgrade my GPU, I'd imagine my 5770 would shit itself if I tried it now. Enjoyed those videos guys.

Apologies btw for those that tried to lap me and I might have held them up a bit, I did try to get out of the way!

I'm reduced back to a 4870 - stuck the recording FPS to 60, and even I could record. Give it a shot!

Top Bottom