• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Mad_Ban

Can't get better than a 1:30.2 in race conditions. I don't think I'll do well at all this weekend. Will be praying for rain though :p

Frawdder

Putting my hand up for one of the spare seats in tonight's race. It will only be a one off race for me but for once I am able to join you at the ungodly time for us Aussies.

Haven't practiced in about a week, but I was running around 1:27 in race, but I was having a lot of trouble keeping my car from spinning at the first few s's.

race-banner3kod0.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

Lucius86 hopes he squashed rumours of his 2010 championship being a fluke in Monaco last weekend when dominated the race despite the wet conditions. Red Bull employed a stand-in driver, Dilly, in an attempt to boost their overall constructors points also, however after a lost front wing and the pit crew putting on the wrong tyres he spectacularly quit the team. As a result, Red Bull only got the 25 points from the race and have fired their entire pit crew. Will Lucius86 be able to continue his comeback this afternoon?

Salacious Crumbs was also vocal in the last week about the way in which the rest of the grid dealt with the fact he was an Australian. He branded several drivers "racists, mate" after many complaints on team radio that he was lagging and blocking them. Furthermore, he implored the FIA to look in to their safety car regulations after a bizarre incident which lead to his disqualification. One steward, who wished to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying "cry me a river. I'll buy him a cork hat to make up for it."

Although Red Bull are disappointed they are unable to replicate their success from last year, fans are more excited as ever at the driver and constructor championship are turning in to a close battle between Ferarri and McLaren. However, there was controversy as Ferarri exposed a damning message sent by defending world champion Lucius86. The Italian team claim it was sent to Foliorum Viridum who is one point behind Orgun, however Red Bull and McLaren have both branded it a "blatant photoshop".

Furthermore, due to the success of the league thus far, the FIA have decided to bleed money from more fans by extending the league. The schedule looks as follows:

Jan 28th - Monza
Feb 4th - Budapest
Feb 11th - India
Feb 18th - Catalunya
Feb 25th - Brazil

current-driver-standi75jfn.png

current-constructor-s3zkn7.png

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday January 21st, 4:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Also, I am hungover as fuck today. This might not end well.

Frawdder, nice to see you want to race :) I have you on Steam and I think maybe GFWL.

Mad_Ban

Got to 1:29.3 last night during a quali session. I'm just praying that's the pace we'll be running at, and not 27's or 28's. :p

kharma45

Exams are finally over so I can get some F1 practise in hopefully before the race!

Hopefully I won't be too aggressive, fucked off with Dell today. Laptop fan died, their website states their phone service is open on a Saturday but when I call they tell me they're closed.

They'll be getting hell on Monday from me.

Well, feels good to win and get to top of the board, but in kinda sucky conditions. Phleg and Kyaw shoulda had the top spots there for sure.

This game can really kick you sometimes.

I was satisfied with how well as I was doing at first, and was running top 5 for a few laps, but connection issues (probably mine, since my internet is really bad) really messed me up.

There were so many times when drivers were flying around, debris flying everywhere, and I passed Foliorum several times the first few laps, only to find him in front of me again! Confusing as shit. Punctured tire a bunch of laps in put me in last and I had no sign of life after that.

Oh well, it was fun.

Lach

I think a UK host next time would be better. It was stable (no disconnects other than phleg) but really messy.

Happy with my performance. Slow but very constant. Made it through without any crash. But man I need to find out where I loose all that time. I think I need to work at my shifting.

Mad_Ban

Really gutted to lose a win because it likely would have put me back in the championship, but I had a lot of fun out there racing with Kyaw. We had about 5 or 6 laps of just swapping back and forth and it was clean.

Can't really attribute any blame other than to Codemasters.

Frawdder

Fun race but such a shame with what happened to Phleg and Kyaw.

I was a bit concerned I was going to be a backmarker but my pace was good when I was hitting the corners right. Had a great few lap battle of sorts with FV but I just kept making silly errors. That's probably due to not being used to the game after a long time off and not enough practice.

Good racing with you guys though and apologies if I got in anyone's way, those proximity arrows show up way too late. Just a shame about the connection issues (although none on my end) and the time difference otherwise this league would be lots of fun to be a part of every week.

When you were 1.7 seconds behind me for like 8 laps in a row I was so close to making a mistake, Frawdder! Great fun. You really put the pressure on.

Despite winning, I didn't make a single overtake that wasn't a backmarker, so our battle was definitely my highlight :)

Orgun

Great race guys. Shame about Phleg, Kyaw and Acrids troubles.

I should definitely have put in more practice, it wasn't until lap 24 when I started to get a proper feel for the track :(

Nato

Banned
Picked up this game because I wanted a semi-realistic game I could play on PC with a 360 controller. Was having a blast with it doing 50% races in career mode until it started raining, I went into the pits to get wets and the pit crew put worn out options on my car. Game breaking bug for me, and they're not even going to bother patching it. Oh well.

Speech

I agree with everyone else that it was a shame for those with problems.

Was annoyed at myself for missing qualifying, but enjoyed the race a lot, and not just because of the result. It's an interesting tactical challenge having to start at the back, and I feel my race couldn't really have gone much better.

AcridMeat

Banned
Really gutted to lose a win because it likely would have put me back in the championship, but I had a lot of fun out there racing with Kyaw. We had about 5 or 6 laps of just swapping back and forth and it was clean.

Can't really attribute any blame other than to Codemasters.

Yep, there was a while I thought we could carry Williams, but we have some rotten luck...

Ran a few laps around Monza, got 1:20:131. No idea if that's a good time or not at this track since this is only my second time doing this track, but I lost a shit ton of time on a few of the corners, which are absolute killer.

Salacious Crumb

Sorry guys, I had one of those social life things last night.

6MMgD.png

I guess someone clicked on the Steam icon when my laptop was being used for music lol.

Kyaw

I blame the shittily designed Dpad settings menu for my wet tyre misfortunes...

Was surely in for podium... still finished top 5, so I guess I should be happy.

Sorry guys, I had one of those social life things last night.

6MMgD.png

I guess someone clicked on the Steam icon when my laptop was being used for music lol.

It's a shame you can't see the content of that chat window with me. I thought my song might wake you up (when I assumed you were asleep).

Without you or Lucius in Mumble the race just wasn't the same. At least Stop It was back with his "WOOOAHHH"s

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It's a shame you can't see the content of that chat window with me. I thought my song might wake you up (when I assumed you were asleep).

Without you or Lucius in Mumble the race just wasn't the same. At least Stop It was back with his "WOOOAHHH"s

And racing like a complete idiot.

I guess I should practice next time, possibly. Could someone take my place at rugby training so I can do so? No takers? Drat.

Anyway, it's good to be able to actually get into a race AND be able to finish. I think my connection now may work ok. It's only taken 3 months nearly and £40 on a homeplug setup, but hey!

race-banner3kod0.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

qualifying-resultsmwj2k.png

race-results37jk3.png

current-driver-standi07jvg.png

current-constructor-ssbkpj.png

Thanks to Kyaw for the quick work as always!

It's really weird that last year I didn't get a single podium and that was my goal this year and now I'm top of the leaderboard :S

I don't feel safe at all though. I think there are still multiple people who could win it with 5 races left!

Mad_Ban

I would have got up to 4th? Owch XD

I've been trying racedepartments "best" Monza setup but they're like 2 seconds slower for me than my own setup. It's probably a case of Suzuka where it feels slower than it should be.

Kyaw isn't a machine :p I'll bring it to his attention now. Sorry!

Edit: He put you on twice. One with 8 and one with 4. We'll fix that now :)

If anyone ever spots an error like that please mention it!

Lach

Kyaw isn't a machine :p I'll bring it to his attention now. Sorry!

Thanks. Sorry if it came across too strong.

Confident for Monza. Got a 1:20 yesterday. And I'm starting to see I'm attacking corners all wrong (turning in too late) and loose a lot of time accelerating out of them. I'll have a lot of time to practice this week so I hope I get better.

kharma45

Monza (using the controller) I'm getting a ~1:19 at the minute, able to find my breaking zones much easier than at Suzuka, hopefully I'll actually have a chance to be able to compete this weekend!

Orgun

Tried a qualifying lap on primes and got a 1:20.5. I do need to tweak my gears though, was hitting the rev limiter well before the end of the straights.

This is a really stupid question, but are we allowed our own setups for the races?

I'm just wondering because the last two races I would load my setup and use the exact same tires and race conditions, but I wasn't nearly as fast in either qualifying/race as I was in my practicing in qualifying/race before. I was just wondering if there was a restriction put against that that I didn't know about, or if I was just sucking really badly in league race/qualifying.

On default setup, I am running 1:19.899 or something like that.

You are absolutely allowed your own setups!

Generally, in qualifying, you'll be better because the track is warm and so are your tyres. You need to let the rubber get laid down, your tyres warm up, etc etc in race conditions.

That's why I never practice in TT - I always do an online race or do a race with AI so I know what the conditions of the track will be like etc.

You are absolutely allowed your own setups!

Generally, in qualifying, you'll be better because the track is warm and so are your tyres. You need to let the rubber get laid down, your tyres warm up, etc etc in race conditions.

That's why I never practice in TT - I always do an online race or do a race with AI so I know what the conditions of the track will be like etc.

Okay, I guess that's it. I have been a racing fan for years, so I understand track temperatures and rubber, but I am not at all familiar with F1 and the multiple types of tires, and this is my first F1 game (not to mention these two league races are the only two online races I've done), so I'm still getting used to all of it. It sucks growing up in a country that only watches NASCAR and nothing else!

Lach

Fun racing tonight. Feel very confident for the race. I know I can crack the 1:20 mark, just need to practice.

@Mana Legend
Did I cut you off in that second shicane at the end?

Fun racing tonight. Feel very confident for the race. I know I can crack the 1:20 mark, just need to practice.

@Mana
Did I cut you off in that second shicane at the end?

Nope, you were fine from what I could tell. I went into it a bit too fast in, had to slam on the breaks, and hit the dirt and lost it.

Monza MADNESS

I know some people find Monza a boring track, but this is why I love it. Last year we had so many great races there and just look at our first practice session! So much side-by-side racing.

I think the way Monza is designed it encourages close racing like no other track. It's so easy to be right behind a guy, or even next to them. There will be lots of close calls and probably lots of contact in our race, but I love that. We all kept back giving back positions tonight when we pushed too hard which was nice to see! Due to the high speed nature of the track if someone has a different braking zone to you it means you can either zip past them, or go right into the back of them, haha.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday more than any other race on the calendar.

Some great racing there lads.

kharma45

Foliorum I take it you're using a wheel for that?

So much more control compared to using a controller, comparing it to how I just drove it tonight myself in a GP offline there is just so much more finesse, little wheelspin and far more control over breaking.

Might invest in a wheel sometime.

Top Bottom