• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Orgun

Just ran a couple of laps at Hungary, and I gotta say, the track is much easier to navigate than I thought it would be. I've been posting 1:16/1:17 consistently with the default car setup and almost never make mistakes. Lets just see what this turns into when I do a practice race! But for the moment, I'm really looking forward to it.

Those times in TT mode?

Mad_Ban

Really pleased with the racing I had against you FV. I've only used my wheel for Monaco where you can't really overtake, so I was especially chuffed with the pass I made into Ascari at 2:17 in your video. :p

Totally lost on setup for Hungary. Will find my way soon but I see the people on RaceDepartment do 1:14's for race pace, and my best time ever is a 1:17.9 in a sim race online, so I have some work to do :p

Those times in TT mode?

Yeah, I've just been trying to get a feel for the track before I do a race. I'm pretty satisfied with my TT times considering they are using the default setup, but I'd like to get into 1:15 and really know the track before I try it in a race.

Also, FV, I think that might have partially been my fault. There were connection issues with me. One second you had passed me, but then two seconds later you were behind me again. It wasn't really making sense, and when I thought you had passed me, I didn't realize that you were STILL behind me. So I wasn't aware you were there! Next thing you know, I'm going into the pits, and I look behind me and you had hit the wall or something. So I think it's partially my fault as well.

Logitech Driving Force GT a decent wheel for this game?

I think it's what we all use. Great wheel!

I've been doing 1:17s, dipping into the 1:16s in race conditions for Budapest just now. I'm sure that's not fast enough, but I'm liking the track more after putting some time in to learn how best to attack the corners.

There's a few spots where if you mess up you WILL pay dearly for it though.

Lucius86

Banned
Sweet. Bidding on one at the minute on eBay at around £30 at the minute that ends tomorrow, there's another one too at the same price. Hopefully I can nab a bargain and ditch the controller.

Do it. Bought it brand new for F1 2010 and so glad I made the purchase. For the price, it's brilliant.

I decided not to use my wheel because I've already put 70 hours into this game with the PS3 controller, and I've gotten a lot more consistent and much better with it. That, and my wheel is a shit Mad Catz one. I think I'll wait to get a PC specific wheel before I try a wheel again.

Anyways, I did a race and was putting around 1:16 per lap, so I'm feeling really good about it. I got 1:15 in Time Trial, so I'm definitely learning this track real well.

Okay, I'm up to 1:15 in race settings, although I'm not very consistent with that time. I have no idea what a competitive time is at this track, but I'm 400th or so on the leaderboards with my 1:15:299 time in time trial, so I'm guessing that those times are really good considering I'm doing those same times in race settings.

Shaneus

Sweet. Bidding on one at the minute on eBay at around £30 at the minute that ends tomorrow, there's another one too at the same price. Hopefully I can nab a bargain and ditch the controller.
If you score one, this is pretty much essential as well. Makes things SO much easier.

Juicy Bob

Quick question: does anyone know if the Options (Super-Softs) will last the entire distance around Monaco if I put them on at the start of Lap 2, ala Vettel? I have a race later and I want to be sneaky.

Lach

Why Hardan? WHY?! :(

Staab ahead of me had a problem with his wheel and was standing. I didn't realize I could go through him and tried to avoid him. Then I lost control completly. Sorry about that. It really looks like I was going right for you! :)

@Juicy Bob
Maybe if you go on a very tyre conserving setup, but I doubt it.

Orgun

I've been doing some practice laps around Singapore for another league race i've got Monday and it''s nowhere near as bad as it was in 2010!! Much more enjoyable.

Still a shit track though.

Quick question: does anyone know if the Options (Super-Softs) will last the entire distance around Monaco if I put them on at the start of Lap 2, ala Vettel? I have a race later and I want to be sneaky.

You would probably risk a puncture (I had wet tyres puncture on me after 27 laps on them), and if not the car will be next to uncontrollable at any significant distance. Tyre degradation is HORRENDOUS at Monaco.

I'm up for some Budapest practice today if you ladies are!

Salacious Crumb

You would probably risk a puncture (I had wet tyres puncture on me after 27 laps on them), and if not the car will be next to uncontrollable at any significant distance. Tyre degradation is HORRENDOUS at Monaco.

Yes.

I just ran some TT laps and brought my time down to 1:13.9, mid to high twelves should be possible with the right setup.

Orgun

I'm game

1:13 Crumbs? Jesus, already 3-4 seconds faster than me...

If any race is going to be a hurdle for me winning this league it will be this track.

Edit: 1:15.3 is my fastest in an online qualifying session (engine on high, fresh options)

race-bannerielxq.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

qualifying-resultsvva42.png

race-results3el6f.png

current-driver-standimzbei.png

current-constructor-sa6yq6.png

It's starting to look like a 3 horse race, but you never know!

Lucius86

Banned
Considering you have only won 3 races this season so far, and I'm the double world champion, you still have to look up to me FV - history proves I am the best.

HenryHSH

It's crazy how easy it is to cut corners and run over obstacles (that would usually damage the car) while maintaining your momentum in this game.

Lucius86

Banned
Glad I may actually have some time to practice this week, because I'm off the pace here at Hungary.

Crumbs you massive dick, what setup you using?

I still don't think I like Budapest very much. It's definitely a track that requires a lot of skill and concentration, which will result in an interesting race, but I don't think it's a fun track to drive. Compared to Melbourne, Spa or Montreal, there's no corner that I love flying around.

I also think overtaking will be reserved almost entirely for the pit straight. I was going a good two seconds a lap quicker behind Lucius last night and I could not squeeze past him for love nor money.

Orgun

I still don't think I like Budapest very much. It's definitely a track that requires a lot of skill and concentration, which will result in an interesting race, but I don't think it's a fun track to drive. Compared to Melbourne, Spa or Montreal, there's no corner that I love flying around.

I also think overtaking will be reserved almost entirely for the pit straight. I was going a good two seconds a lap quicker behind Lucius last night and I could not squeeze past him for love nor money.

I love corners 2 up to the chicane, especially the corner at the top of the hill.

Mad_Ban

What sort of fast laps are you guys getting around Hungary (not in TT)?

I haven't been able to practice much this week and I got a 14.9 in quali and 15's throughout the race.

Orgun

What sort of fast laps are you guys getting around Hungary (not in TT)?

I haven't been able to practice much this week and I got a 14.9 in quali and 15's throughout the race.

I never bother with TT, grip levels are faaaar too different to online. I am getting 1.15's / 1.16's during an online race.

In a 20% race, without the engine being turned up, I usually get into the 1:16s in the last few laps.

No idea how you can go lower than that without having your engine turned up in race conditions. At least not before the very end of the race.

Mad_Ban

Just did a 50% race and it's going to be hell trying to overtake anyone, even with DRS (I've got it geared to 190 down the straight with DRS). And the race pace and tyre degradation is going to be hell. Looking forward to it. :p

xptoxyz

So still haven't picked up this (and really don't know if I will at this point). But have you who play the game regularly think the patches fixed the game well enough that hopefully the 2012 won't have problems of the same magnitude when it comes out?

Also I know most of you play on PC but what seems to be the general consensus on consoles, and PS3 in particular which seemed to have gotten the short end?

2012 will probably be a bug messy for a while. We thought 2011 would have a good launch and it was simply broken.

Most people in the league don't want to buy it until they know just how broken it is. Me? I'm taking one for the team and getting it day 1 probably. I'm not the hero you want, but the hero you deserve.

Plus I got 2011 for free so you know, still owe Codies some money.

Orgun

2012 will probably be a bug messy for a while. We thought 2011 would have a good launch and it was simply broken.

Most people in the league don't want to buy it until they know just how broken it is. Me? I'm taking one for the team and getting it day 1 probably. I'm not the hero you want, but the hero you deserve.

Plus I got 2011 for free so you know, still owe Codies some money.

I don't WANT to buy 2012 on day 1 but I know I will. Once the marketing machine starts to move, I know i'll get caught up in the hype.

Shaneus

I don't WANT to buy 2012 on day 1 but I know I will. Once the marketing machine starts to move, I know i'll get caught up in the hype.
Don't. DON'T. They'll never learn otherwise.

FV, you too. Despite the freebie. Hell, even if *I'd* gotten it for free, I'd still feel they owed me something.

Staab

I'm out for this week-end's race ;(

And, no, I won't be buying 2012 on day1...
2011 is still a piece of shit online with way too many issues.

I know I shouldn't, but I will. If Lucius doesn't want to do the 2012 OT, I will and I'll make it clear that BUYER BEWARE because it really is needed.

However, despite 2011 still being fairly broke, it is at a level where I have fallen in love with it again and although I know the sensible choice is to wait it out, I'll buy it day 1 because I won't be able to resist. With most franchises I would, but not this one.

We should get some info on 2012 soon, I'd imagine. They did a small announcement to tie-in with Melbourne last year.

Just did a 50% race and it's going to be hell trying to overtake anyone, even with DRS (I've got it geared to 190 down the straight with DRS). And the race pace and tyre degradation is going to be hell. Looking forward to it. :p

What pit strategy did you use?

I just did a 50% race and let the game do it for me. 4 pits, ALL primes. Ridiculous. The thing is, I've been thinking about it and since options only last 5 laps that might actually be the best tactic.

Just curious about what you tried. I'm going to have another race later and throw on options for two of the pits and see how I do.

Mad_Ban

What pit strategy did you use?

I just did a 50% race and let the game do it for me. 4 pits, ALL primes. Ridiculous. The thing is, I've been thinking about it and since options only last 5 laps that might actually be the best tactic.

Just curious about what you tried. I'm going to have another race later and throw on options for two of the pits and see how I do.

I got the same. It really seems to smart choice to stick with what the game offers considering the high fuel load wearing the tyres more. It's tempting to maybe put the last stop on Option.

EDIT: Being kinda cheeky here, but are you using one of the RD setups? I find the fastest one for me tends to be the one that destroys tyres (looks to have been made in the 11/11 days). I might try turning down the springs to see if that helps tyre life.

on that note, anyone up for practice tonight? :p

Yes I am, and my tyres utterly die. Once they're orange I'm screwed.

Maybe I should try turning them down too.

I'd be up for a 50% practice in a bit? I want to try tweaking my setup now and seeing if a stint on options is viable with a good competitor (the hardest AI is soooo slow).

Top Bottom