• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Monza MADNESS

I know some people find Monza a boring track, but this is why I love it. Last year we had so many great races there and just look at our first practice session! So much side-by-side racing.

I think the way Monza is designed it encourages close racing like no other track. It's so easy to be right behind a guy, or even next to them. There will be lots of close calls and probably lots of contact in our race, but I love that. We all kept back giving back positions tonight when we pushed too hard which was nice to see! Due to the high speed nature of the track if someone has a different braking zone to you it means you can either zip past them, or go right into the back of them, haha.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday more than any other race on the calendar.

Some great racing there lads.

I was racing Speech right behind you on the first lap, and I think I might have gotten too cocky into trying to make a move on you next, and I think I might have wrecked him when I wrecked myself. I'm not sure since he was behind me and I don't think I felt contact, but in case it was my fault, I want to apologize.

But at least I had a fun little race with Hardan despite my stupidity at the beginning, which was nice. It's the first time I've felt confident enough to race others so far, so it felt really nice.

Orgun

Monza MADNESS

I know some people find Monza a boring track, but this is why I love it. Last year we had so many great races there and just look at our first practice session! So much side-by-side racing.

I think the way Monza is designed it encourages close racing like no other track. It's so easy to be right behind a guy, or even next to them. There will be lots of close calls and probably lots of contact in our race, but I love that. We all kept back giving back positions tonight when we pushed too hard which was nice to see! Due to the high speed nature of the track if someone has a different braking zone to you it means you can either zip past them, or go right into the back of them, haha.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday more than any other race on the calendar.

Some great racing there lads.

Shame we didn't get to finish that race, was great fun :)

Salacious Crumb

5 laps into Monza TT, best time so far 1:18.16 :D

EDIT: New best time is 1:17.6

I think there's going to be lots of cutting in the race, especially around Ascari

Shame we didn't get to finish that race, was great fun :)

I only crashed because I was laughing at Phleg's wreck flying ahead of me >_>

I was racing Speech right behind you on the first lap, and I think I might have gotten too cocky into trying to make a move on you next, and I think I might have wrecked him when I wrecked myself. I'm not sure since he was behind me and I don't think I felt contact, but in case it was my fault, I want to apologize..

I'm glad it was you because I said to Speech I wasn't sure if it was me after the race :p Looking back at the video I think that overtake was one of my favourites I've done in the game. So glad I had enough KERS to inch ahead for the corner.

Lach

But at least I had a fun little race with Hardan despite my stupidity at the beginning, which was nice. It's the first time I've felt confident enough to race others so far, so it felt really nice.

Yeah was a lot of fun. Usually the races so far have been me doing my laps with loosing about 2-3 seconds per lap to the one ahead of me. :)

I will be spending some time setting up my wheel/controls tonight. Has anyone who has a G27 ever tried to put fuel mode settings or tyre selection onto the stick shift? Like Gear1 -> Lean Fuel, Gear2 -> Normal, Gear3 -> Rich

Yen

I can't get lower than 1:23! Are you guys using any different settings?
Last race I played, career mode, I did a Schumi-Barrichello move on the second and third place. >_>

Lucius86

Banned
MONZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm sorry I missed Suzuka - got stuck with a social life. I should be about for Monza, but practice will be tricky this week.

Can't wait!

I can't get lower than 1:23! Are you guys using any different settings?
Last race I played, career mode, I did a Schumi-Barrichello move on the second and third place. >_>

Are you using a custom setup? (If no, go to RaceDepartment and find one there)

Other than that, it's just about finding as much speed as you can and using DRS/KERS in the best places.

So was that KretaPower guy part of our league or a random player? Because I was feeling really good about my start to that Monza race, but towards the end of the first lap, he slammed into me and punctured my tire (tyre, whatever), causing me to lose it after that straightaway. I've never been so pissed.

Second race I sucked, obviously, considering I've only ever done that track once before in career mode. =P

Orgun

So was that KretaPower guy part of our league or a random player? Because I was feeling really good about my start to that Monza race, but towards the end of the first lap, he slammed into me and punctured my tired, causing me to lose it after that straightaway. I've never been so pissed.

Second race I sucked, obviously, considering I've only ever done that track once before in career mode. =P

Just a random, we usually leave the lobby open when practicing.

A Guide to the Perfect Safety Car Restart by Kyaw

Man, I really suck at Budapest. I've forgotten all of the gears from 2010 and I just... need a helluva lot of practice. I kept spinning all the time. Expect me to mess up a lot when we practice it for our league!

I will follow this guide closely. Even though I almost took the lead on that restart, I know that following this guide would give me at least a 5 second advantage. Thank you for showing it.

Lach

Haha that short race in Canada was great. I had to quick setup, so I ended up with hardly any grip. Very challenging.

Mad_Ban

Gonna have to put a few hours in tomorrow because I'm not consistent enough and I'm verging on ruining peoples races (which I'd hate to do in the league). :/

race-bannerielxq.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

Suzuka was a controversial glorious race last week as league organiser Foliorum Viridum went to the top of the table with a fantastic drive. Michael Schumacher sat stunned in his Mercedes seat as he claimed that he could see the young Welsh driver being the person to break his record of world championship wins.

In the streets of Wales, literally dozens of people came out to the streets to celebrate their country finally accomplishing something, with latest stats indicating that the young driver is now the most famous Welshman in the world, overtaking Tom Jones and the GLC.

BBC Wales is also reporting that a number of sheep in various counties have been branded with the McLaren logo. Latest reports say there have been three reported farms impacted thus far, but some claim there could be many more unreported for fear of bestiality being uncovered.

Oh yeah, Phleg disconnected and Kyaw got screwed over by tyres or something I dunno whatever man.

current-driver-standi07jvg.png

current-constructor-ssbkpj.png

schedulevscff.png

• Saturday January 28th, 4:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies.
  • Top three drivers are asked to attend the press conference after the race for brief questions.
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

I hope nobody ever questions my integrity.

AcridMeat

Banned
Gonna have to put a few hours in tomorrow because I'm not consistent enough and I'm verging on ruining peoples races (which I'd hate to do in the league). :/

How are you not consistent on Monza of all tracks? There's only one, maybe two challenging corners.

I say this because you've been the fastest of everyone everywhere.

Mad_Ban

FV is a fellow Welshman? Oh god...

How are you not consistent on Monza of all tracks? There's only one, maybe two challenging corners.

I say this because you've been the fastest of everyone everywhere.

I keep on putting a wheel on the grass or dirt every other lap (which basically halts the car) which kills any long run pace I have. Compare that to the other who basically make zero mistakes :p

Lucius86

Banned
Quiet you sheep shaggers over there.

I'm going to suck at Monza. Work has meant not one bit of practice for what.... 13 days now? FUCK SAKE.

Yeah, I've been working on consistency at not spinning out every few laps. The other day I did 30 laps in a row in Time Trial without spinning out, and most of them were within the 1:19-1:20 range, which was really good by my standards.

I have a lot of trouble with the two corners right after the second chicane though, and I have no idea why, and that's where I lose the most time. I take them too conservatively one lap, and then after to slow up on them a lot the next lap after I take them because I take them too hot. Maybe using my wheel (finally went home to get it today!) will help a lot.

That said, my setup I have for Monza really sucked on straightaways, but is wonderful at cornering through everything, and I make up a shit ton of time because of that. If it weren't for me sucking at those two corners so badly, I could see my times getting to the 1:17's, but I lose so much damn time on those two corners.

Lach

I have a lot of trouble with the two corners right after the second chicane though, and I have no idea why, and that's where I lose the most time. I take them too conservatively one lap, and then after to slow up on them a lot the next lap after I take them because I take them too hot. Maybe using my wheel (finally went home to get it today!) will help a lot.

That said, my setup I have for Monza really sucked on straightaways, but is wonderful at cornering through everything, and I make up a shit ton of time because of that. If it weren't for me sucking at those two corners so badly, I could see my times getting to the 1:17's, but I lose so much damn time on those two corners.

Those corners are my problem as well. Right now I'm stuck at 1:19.5 (TT). When I try to push , i'll ruin the lap 2 out of 3 times in the first shicane. Either by going on the curbs and spinning or hitting the throttle too early and spinning.

I was experimenting with higher wing values and that helps a lot, but I'm so much slower on the straights.

Do you guys consider tyre-wear when doing the setups? Especially camber and that stuff.

I never worry about tyre degradation really. In the race I always just deal with my tyres and I think having a setup that feels comfortable is much more important than having your tyres last a lap or two more.

I usually pit before my tyres fall "off the cliff" anyway.

Lach

It really bugs me the game broke on me for the race. Screen was all black execpt for the hud. I did decently in quali and I was looking forward to the game with that many people! Ah well, need to look ahead for hungary!

[edit] Loved the qualifying though. First I almost didn't make it back to the pit after my second stint (was rolling for about half the backstraight and parabolica) and then started my last hot lap with seconds to go. Which lead of course to everyone watching my lap.

Staab

Meh 3spins, lost over 30seconds and got 1 penalty because of it, could've gotten 4/5th =(
Shit race without much action on my side!

Kyaw

Happy with 5th. Really didn't have any practice.

No accidents, just consistent laps. Did a Vettel-esque overtake on Orgun on the penultimate lap. It felt gooood. :)

Looking forward to Hungary!

That was probably my favorite race so far. I know a lot of people probably didn't like it, but I really enjoyed it from a confidence builder standpoint. I had no penalties and only got lapped on lap 25 (after the game made my pit TWICE because I had no idea about the Prime Tyre rule), which one of my goals was not to get lapped, so I almost met that goal, while I did meet my no penalties goal. I only had one spin, and avoided a few incidents, and my times were very consistent, which I am extremely happy about it.

I also got to race a couple of people, and although I lost most battles, it definitely built my confidence knowing I could at least race others without wrecking them.

That said, Monza is also much easier than the last two tracks, so next week will be the real big test for me, and I'll be practicing all week for it.

Mad_Ban

Had a lot of fun in quali and have to thank Rambo for giving me a slipstream on the last two straights :D

Race... had a good start and was managing to hold FV off, went wide at the last corner and lost a bit of time, then got a 10s penalty for corner cutting a smidegon on the second chicance. Was running behind him on a different strategy when I had the huge power-off notice on my monitor consume the screen and couldn't do fuck all. Sort of lost interest after rejoining back in 7th :p

Good fun though, looking forward to Hungary.

Orgun

God damn, so annoyed at my wheel and myself.

Get into Quali and for some reason my wheel has changed to 900 degrees of rotation. Had to quit the game and rejoin wihtout qualifying to fix it. Luckily though, the game weirded out as it often does and stuck me 6th on the grid!

To the race, I was tapping away on my wheels buttons while waiting for the slow pokes to load up and accidentally started the race!!! Sorry guys. Kinda fucked myself over with that too, had to run on teh default setup, couldnt change my strategy to a one stopper like I wanted to try and ended up driving stupidly slow in what felt like the most horrible car in the world. I now understand that setups can make a HUGE diffrerence. Some of the corners I could take flatout in my setup I had to coast through in the default setup.

Other than that it was a pretty univentful race of me trying to preserve my tyres on a two stopper to try and score as many points as possible.

Congrats on the win FV, just a shame yuo never got to win it racing against me. Cos I totally would have won :D

Speech

Fairly uneventful race for me. Decided to go for a different strategy to everyone else (except Crumbs) and just tried to keep out of trouble and get a good pace going, and it kinda worked I guess. Didn't expect to get 2nd so really happy with that.

AcridMeat

Banned
Was happy with qualifying, but being plopped back 4 places at start sucked, especially when that led to getting a penalty in the first corner while also being overtaken by everyone.

Then my first pit stop not getting new tires but being put back on the tires I was just on.

Hungary should be fun.

Lach

Did some laps in hungary while you guys were racing. Haven't been on it before. Seems like a track I could get to like if I put a lot of time in it. I'll have to see if I have the time to practice this week.

Salacious Crumb

I'm pretty happy with the way the race went.

My two stop strategy worked extremely well, so well that it might have me the race. I actually returned to the track ahead (just) of Foli after my second stop, but I then promptly spun on the first corner I encountered. I fought back hard to try and retake first, a touch too hard as it turns out, but if I hadn't run out of fuel half way round the last lap the gap between us would've been measured in tenths.

A nice clean race except for a couple of unfortunate encounter with Lucius ;).

Just ran a couple of laps at Hungary, and I gotta say, the track is much easier to navigate than I thought it would be. I've been posting 1:16/1:17 consistently with the default car setup and almost never make mistakes. Lets just see what this turns into when I do a practice race! But for the moment, I'm really looking forward to it.

Boy do I love Lucius for doing to you what he did to me last year at Monza! :D It still amazes me to see how cleanly you overtook me on your game and then comparing it to how you rammed me literally over the first corner in my game.

It was great seeing how close you were to me on all those laps. My video didn't capture that because I wasn't looking behind me much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PfCxmDw5A

My vid highlights. I had a pretty exciting race, but gutted because I definitely had a chance to be challenging for the win. C'est la vie! I would have taken 4th before the race with my 1 hour of practice beforehand....
LOL at me telling you and Crumbs to "get the fuck out of the way!" :D I wanted to stay with Phleg so badly!

Sorry about making you spin, but I think you'll agree it looked like I had way more space from my perspective. Really sucks because I wanted to keep racing you.

"I fucking hate racing Crumbs because I don't know where the fuck he is" ahahaha god this video has so many weird quotes from me...

You definitely had an exciting race!

---------

My race highlights

A fairly exciting race for me. Very pleased to be second in qualifying with my best lap of the track ever - although I was annoyed Phleg was only marginally quicker and took the top spot!

The first part of the race was pretty chaotic. Traded blows with a lot of people, mostly Phleg and Lucius, with Crumbs getting in the mix every so often.

I had one REALLY scary moment with Rambo which nearly took me out of the race entirely. I was trying to make sure I got around as fast as possible after pitting and when I came to him on the last corner I wasn't even considering the fact he might want to pit. I went to overtake on the left, but he swerved over to the left too so I just went for the overtake on the right instead and cut him off as he went across into the pits. I got squashed between him and the wall and watching this video back we could've both easily wrecked our cars. Absolutely my fault!

Trading blows with Crumbs was pretty tough because lag as an issue and I didn't trust the game to tell me where he really was. Thankfully, once I got ahead of him after he spun on the first corner I managed to maintain the gap, but what this video doesn't show is how he and I were completely equal for about 9 laps, all the while I was going from fuel saving mode to standard because I was constantly dipping into -1 laps of fuel. Eek! As Crumbs said, if he didn't run out of fuel on that last lap it would've been VERY close over the line.

Whereas Melbourne and Suzuka were somewhat tainted wins for me (many disconnects, Phleg/Kyaw being screwed by the game) I feel this was a really deserved win as I kept pushing and had constant battles throughout. Felt really rewarding to go across that line for the win!

Top Bottom