• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Orgun

Yes I am, and my tyres utterly die. Once they're orange I'm screwed.

Maybe I should try turning them down too.

I'd be up for a 50% practice in a bit? I want to try tweaking my setup now and seeing if a stint on options is viable with a good competitor (the hardest AI is soooo slow).

I could go for that

Shaneus

I know I shouldn't, but I will. If Lucius doesn't want to do the 2012 OT, I will and I'll make it clear that BUYER BEWARE because it really is needed.

However, despite 2011 still being fairly broke, it is at a level where I have fallen in love with it again and although I know the sensible choice is to wait it out, I'll buy it day 1 because I won't be able to resist. With most franchises I would, but not this one.

We should get some info on 2012 soon, I'd imagine. They did a small announcement to tie-in with Melbourne last year.
Man, I'd love to let go but the fact that I have to disable Crossfire completely to get DX11 effects (as in, there's zero way of automating a profile that works) is the absolute dealbreaker. Somehow punishing people for having uber gaming setups and not patching it (despite people complaining since day 1) is inexcusable. Especially when a game on exactly the same engine (Dirt 3) runs perfectly fine.

Salacious Crumb

Man, I'd love to let go but the fact that I have to disable Crossfire completely to get DX11 effects (as in, there's zero way of automating a profile that works) is the absolute dealbreaker. Somehow punishing people for having uber gaming setups and not patching it (despite people complaining since day 1) is inexcusable. Especially when a game on exactly the same engine (Dirt 3) runs perfectly fine.

As shitty as this game is I think it's unfair to blame Codemasters for poor CF performance. It's AMDs responsibility to supply you with working CF profiles for games.

If you say Dirt 3 works fine have you tried renaming f12011.exe to dirt3.exe?

Also I was reminded of the cuntiest thing earlier today, I have to go camping this weekend so I won't be able to make the race D:

Shaneus

As shitty as this game is I think it's unfair to blame Codemasters for poor CF performance. It's AMDs responsibility to supply you with working CF profiles for games.

If you say Dirt 3 works fine have you tried renaming f12011.exe to dirt3.exe?

Also I was reminded of the cuntiest thing earlier today, I have to go camping this weekend so I won't be able to make the race D:
No, it's not Crossfire performance. In Crossfire mode, the game will not play in DX11 mode. At all. Read here and here (the latter being a thread created by Helios about improved CFX performance, yet he doesn't return to even note the posts about DX11 not working at all).

I haven't read the new posts in this thread, and I haven't played the game since last Saturday, but I specifically remember when I spent 5 hours practicing at Hungary, my tyres wearing out a heck of a lot more than usual.

Is this just me and my setup, or are other people having this problem?

Speech

I haven't read the new posts in this thread, and I haven't played the game since last Saturday, but I specifically remember when I spent 5 hours practicing at Hungary, my tyres wearing out a heck of a lot more than usual.

Hungary is one of the worst tracks for tyres, I don't think there is anything you can change in the setup to make more than a very small difference.

Orgun

Me, Foli, Speech, Acrid and Phleg did some practice the other day and found that options would go off in about 4/5 laps no matter the setup. I think Foli even reduced his spring settings to reduce tyre wear and they still went. Very harsh track for tyres.

Lach

So what's the best strategy? Start on options and rest on prime (3-4 stops?) will probably save a stop as opposed to those using all their options (4-5 stops?). Maybe two options and two prime sets will do the trick. Do primes hold up 12-13 laps?

I think I'm thinking too much about this.

Lucius86

Banned
So what's the best strategy? Start on options and rest on prime (3-4 stops?) will probably save a stop as opposed to those using all their options (4-5 stops?). Maybe two options and two prime sets will do the trick. Do primes hold up 12-13 laps?

I think I'm thinking too much about this.

My strategy all depends on what happens in quali and the first 3 laps in a race. Each time I went with a default strategy, and then whilst racing I change on the fly depending on events and how I feel the car is handling. It's meant that in two races I've competed in I did one stop less than everyone else and clawed my way back into a fighting position.

If you are not in the top 3, it's always worth a punt being slightly risky!

Quali on options, then all 4 pits are primes for me.

I tried options out in the race and there's no way to make it work without losing so much time it's not worth it. It's the only sensible tactic to take if you don't want to be lapped by the end of the race.

race-bannerqmp4g.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

Practice has been fierce this week for the race at Budapest, however much of the focus has also been on the events of last race weekend at Monza.

Despite winning the race, the FIA weren't too pleased with Foliorum's attempted overtake near the pit entrance against Mana Legend, a move which resulted in a contact and a collective gasp from the crowd. Foliorum was diplomatic in his view on the incident, stating that he "shouldn't have been so aggressive," adding that "perhaps in future Mana could use his mirrors more often, however." Mana's response was less elegant, branding Foliorum a "brain dead prick who nearly took me out." It's believed that Mana's PR agency has since arranged for pictures of Mana and baby orphans to be taken by the race this weekend.

Sparks were also flying at Ferarri when championship contender Orgun was forced to miss qualifying and run the race with no setup. Because of this blunder, which some have speculated could've been down to teammate Kyaw over claims he is the number 2 driver, Orgun is now tied for second place with McLaren driver Speech. Budapest is Orgun's favourite track, so will he be able to get some vital points back for his championship bid?

And on a lighter note, Red Bull driver Stop It, who has been MIA for a large part of the league, was delighted to avoid the pit wall of Monza. "We realised last year that the magnets which Lucius put on my car and the pit wall were the source of the trouble, so we had them removed in time for the race this year." When asked to comment on this accusation, Lucius86 refused to get the naked groupies off him to answer.

(I've been wondering if anyone actually reads these, then I realised I don't care because it amuses me if no-one else >_>)

current-driver-standimzbei.png

current-constructor-sa6yq6.png

• Saturday February 4th, 4:30GMT
  • Qualifying will take place immediately before the race.
  • All drivers are asked to get to the paddock 10 minutes early.
  • A Steam chatroom will be open before, during and after for all drivers and groupies..
  • Please ensure you have fellow participants on Games for Windows Live, the official sponsor of the NeoGAF league.

Lach

Damn I just spent 3 hours trying to fix that idiotic G27 wheel bug, where out of nowhere FF starts to jerk around. It would suddenly have no response at all, and then would drag the wheel full right for a few seconds.

Uninstalled/reinstalled drivers a few times and at last found a forum post somewhere telling me to start the game in safe mode. That worked.

That's such a coincidence! I literally just adopted a black baby and named it Folorium. And I had a sex change!

Where'd you guys get that picture?!?

In other news, I haven't practiced since last Saturday. I am fucked.

Mad_Ban

Luck 0/10.

I'd started catching you guys up front after my mong spin, then all of the sudden your cars were slowing down when they didn't have to :/ Pretty similar to Salacious in Monaco.

Ah well...

AcridMeat

Banned
Luck 0/10.

I'd started catching you guys up front after my mong spin, then all of the sudden your cars were slowing down when they didn't have to :/ Pretty similar to Salacious in Monaco.

Ah well...

Williams curse. I was in the 1:17-1:18s and then hit an invisible wall on the exit of the last corner.

I love how my strategy was "Don't wreck, because everyone else will!" It's funny because I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO WRECK when I went three-wide in the first corner on the first lap and lost my front wing. Ruined my race, and I just spent the rest of the time screwing around with different lines and shit, and spun out so many times. And I got hit with the wet tyres glitch TWICE, and then punctured a tire with the first set of wet tyres, causing me to crash into the wall and lose my front wing again.

Good times, good times.

kharma45

Good race everyone.

Hardan, sorry for making you spin out in the first corner about two-thirds in. Still felt a bit harsh they gave me a time penalty for it :p

My race went to shit about 5 laps from the end, pitted in for new tyres and was flying. Was in 5-6th place, was trying to catch whoever was ahead of me and put a tyre on the grass around the third corner and went straight into the wall puncturing my front right and lost my front wing.

After hobbling around and sticking on a pair of options to last me until the end the rain comes down. I try to be clever and pit for inters, big fucking mistake. Couldn't do any speed at all on them without them blistering, fucking myself over even more. Even at the very end when there was some water on the track they still wouldn't cool the fuck down.

Ah well. I did better than I expected.

Lach

That was my favourite race this far. Was having tons of fun racing james (we were both going for some agressive overtakes but all in order i think). And was able to keep pace with StopIt and Speech (mostly because he was crashing left and right).

Made the mistake of switching to intermediates when it started to rain, had no grip at all and lost my 5th place.

Speech, did I cut you off that time I overtook you?

kharma45

That was my favourite race this far. Was having tons of fun racing james (we were both going for some agressive overtakes but all in order i think).

Yeah our overtakes were aggressive but on the most part fair bar that one which I did on you that caused you to spin out on the first corner, sloppiness on my part not knowing where you were and the tail of my car was, but yeah we had some great racing, just a pity neither of us were recording the game so it could make it into the highlights reel! Really enjoyed our battle while it lasted!

I don't think you'll have ever seen a wider Renault in front of you than mine at times :p The woes of still using the 360 controller and going through tyres like they're going out of fashion.

Lach

Yeah our overtakes were aggressive but on the most part fair bar that one which I did on you that caused you to spin out on the first corner, sloppiness on my part not knowing where you were and the tail of my car was, but yeah we had some great racing, just a pity neither of us were recording the game so it could make it into the highlights reel! Really enjoyed our battle while it lasted!

I don't think you'll have ever seen a wider Renault in front of you than mine at times :p The woes of still using the 360 controller and going through tyres like they're going out of fashion.

Yeah, I bumped into you once or twice because I missed my breakingpoint. My spin was partly my mistake. That was just after the safety car (?) and I thought you had DRS. I felt you'd go right by me and misjudged the situation.

Will definitly record next time. Will miss out on next week though:(

[edit] I definitly feel my overall driving getting better from race to race. Still don't manage to do very fast laps but very constant racing.

Lach

God damn that was an amazing race. It had everything! buzzing.

Yep. When the rain got announced a big smile crept on my face. And the weather getting darker and darker was just beautiful! Codemasters deserve a thumbs up for that one.

Can't wait for the videos.

kharma45

Yeah, I bumped into you once or twice because I missed my breakingpoint. My spin was partly my mistake. That was just after the safety car (?) and I thought you had DRS. I felt you'd go right by me and misjudged the situation.

Aye it was just after the SC, I tried to be clever as I got into your slipstream and had caught you up but since you usually managed to outbrake yourself at the first corner when we were racing I tried to hold back again to go slow in to it and fast out but whatever happened I went to deep and ended up messing up my move.

Still, I enjoyed our race, really got the adrenaline going and more than made up for my shite Japanese race. Hopefully we'll have more battles in the future :)

Seeing myself as a bit of a Schumacher at the start of races, went from 11th to 5th in the first lap! Seem to have a good knack for the starts.

Best race of the season yet. 4 seconds separating the top 4 guys. Insane. SC and rain too.

My vid will be uploaded later :)

I can start to feel the title of champion... each race is getting more stressful for me.

Orgun

Best race of the season yet. 4 seconds separating the top 4 guys. Insane. SC and rain too.

My vid will be uploaded later :)

I can start to feel the title of champion... each race is getting more stressful for me.[b/]

I can feel it slipping away, getting tense for me too. Guess I better get used to fighting Speech for second place.

Kyaw

Insane race. Had really good fights with FV and Orgun.

Sorry about the 'dummy' while pitting. I really did miss the race by going too fast in.
Almost hit the divider. xD

I was falling ill for the last bit of the race. Now I'm sick, headache and everything.

Lucius86

Banned

Sorry about the 'dummy' while pitting. I really did miss the race by going too fast in.

I was falling ill for the last bit of the race. Now I'm sick, headache and everything.

That's because the racing was so awesome.

Shaneus

Is this you? (warning, may be a bit gross)

Kyaw wasn't driving like he was ill. Constantly attacking me on the main straight. It's a shame for him that it's so impossible to overtake because he was consistently faster than me I feel.

Though, to my credit, I was very good at defending at T1 :D

kharma45

Glad I got Mumble working to at least hear voices, made the race a lot better.

Just got to get my mic working next week!

Lucius, do you use FRAPS to record the races?

Top Bottom