• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

And mine has just finished uploading:

Race Highlights (and Destruction Derby)

What a race. Very close with Lucius/Kyaw/Orgun throughout. Some interesting moments when lapping people (Nearly went right into the back of Mana as he slowed down when I didn't expect it!) and the SC/rain really made things interesting. I left the entire last lap in there to show how heavy it got, and how close I was to the two Ferarris as we crossed the line.

It was fun to bring back Destruction Derby for this race especially. A lot of tension to let out! I loved the first punt I gave Lucius.

Considering I don't like the track very much, it was definitely a surprise it ended up so fun.

India next weekend! I've just done 60 laps (100% race) and I fucking love the track. There's quite a few corners I need to work on, but yeah, this track is a future classic in my eyes. The racing here will be great.

Lucius86

Banned
Some great moments in there. Also some great banter.

I love that you caught EVERY stupid comment I made. Cheers mate. I wish we could hear you on these recordings, it sounds like I'm talking to myself.

I'm always worried editing these that I have missed out some - I don't have time to go through all the vids, just skip through. Banter wise Monaco is still King. Never getting over the fat ass spraying comment ever.

Glad I got Mumble working to at least hear voices, made the race a lot better.

Just got to get my mic working next week!

Lucius, do you use FRAPS to record the races?

Yes you do - the more banter in race, the better!

As for recordings, FRAPS is the way to go. As I now used a headset for gaming (my new speakers went to the TV instead, they are that good) I have both voice and game coming out the same source, hence why my recordings have everyone's nonsense going on.

As for settings with FRAPS, F1 2011 is really good to record without a reduction in FPS:

1. Set frame rate to either 50FPS or 60FPS.
2. Set the video to half-size, unless you have a really fast computer
3. Record!

I could do full size with my 6950, but now I am back on my 4870 I've had to go half (CPU is a core i5 750, so a few years old too!). Still, not a single frame drop with these settings - don't even realise I'm recording when racing!

Hahaha, shit, sorry FV, that was 100% my fault. I slowed up to let you by, but had no idea you were coming that fast. I have no idea what the button on my wheel is for rearview mirror, so I had to judge the speed of cars behind me based off from the map and my side mirrors.

The sad part is, I was putting up really competitive times at the beginning (when I wasn't spinning out), and towards the halfway point, when shit just kept going even WORSE, I just gave up and just coasted around the rest of the race. Which sucked, because everybody else was racing each other the whole damn time.

Wow, I was really frustrated at India. I was doing horribly during Sectors 2 and 3, but I was putting up amazing times in Sectors 1. But during a race, I just said "Fuck it," and ran through Sectors 2 and 3 without using breaks and I got my times down to 1:22 from 1:27 in the race. I am extremely satisfied.

And I did something that I didn't do the last few races. I raced against opponents on the Legend difficulty. Before I just did it on the easiest difficulty because I just wanted to worry about tyre wear and lap times and stuff. But racing against the Legend AI made me race and concentrate a whole lot more.

Shaneus

Completely non-F1 related, but I know there are a few UK blokes here. Anyone want to lend a hand in gifting a non-F1 related Steam game? Easier hitting people up here than in the actual gifting thread ;)

Lucius86

Banned
Completely non-F1 related, but I know there are a few UK blokes here. Anyone want to lend a hand in gifting a non-F1 related Steam game? Easier hitting people up here than in the actual gifting thread ;)

I can help out. Sending you a PM.

It was so nice of me to sit out this race so there could be a close fight for the win.

As an aside I had a great time camping. We may have some shit accents down here but our beaches are amazing, this was the view just a few feet from my tent

Looks amazing, but I missed your laggy ass for the race.

Hahaha, shit, sorry FV, that was 100% my fault. I slowed up to let you by, but had no idea you were coming that fast. I have no idea what the button on my wheel is for rearview mirror, so I had to judge the speed of cars behind me based off from the map and my side mirrors.

No worries! You have no idea how much I gasped when I saw you hit the brakes, though. I thought for sure I was going to hit you. I really abused my wheel when I yanked it to avoid you!

You can re-do your wheel buttons in the options menus. If you have a Logitech GT, I find the best buttons are triangle for rear view, circle for KERS and X for DRS. :)

kharma45

Yes you do - the more banter in race, the better!

As for recordings, FRAPS is the way to go. As I now used a headset for gaming (my new speakers went to the TV instead, they are that good) I have both voice and game coming out the same source, hence why my recordings have everyone's nonsense going on.

As for settings with FRAPS, F1 2011 is really good to record without a reduction in FPS:

1. Set frame rate to either 50FPS or 60FPS.
2. Set the video to half-size, unless you have a really fast computer
3. Record!

I could do full size with my 6950, but now I am back on my 4870 I've had to go half (CPU is a core i5 750, so a few years old too!). Still, not a single frame drop with these settings - don't even realise I'm recording when racing!

Gave FRAPS a go there myself, set it to half size and was able to maintain 60fps in the game which I was surprised at.

I've an i5 750 too (clocked at 3.8GHz) but I was worried that my GPU (a 5770) would hold me back but it recorded flawlessly I was pleased to see. Just got to make sure I've enough HDD space now for FRAPS, it's an uncompressed recording isn't it? Couldn't believe 1m30s took up 980MB!

Lucius86

Banned
Gave FRAPS a go there myself, set it to half size and was able to maintain 60fps in the game which I was surprised at.

I've an i5 750 too (clocked at 3.8GHz) but I was worried that my GPU (a 5770) would hold me back but it recorded flawlessly I was pleased to see. Just got to make sure I've enough HDD space now for FRAPS, it's an uncompressed recording isn't it? Couldn't believe 1m30s took up 980MB!

Yep, but for me an entire race takes up 34GB - not too bad all things considered.

Lach

Wow, that 100% was weird. Even though we stopped halfway it felt about twice as long as a league race. Went on new options and rich fuel at the end and got a 1:27:0.

I don't care what everyone says. I like india. It definatly wasn't designed with a full tank in mind though!

edit: AND I FUCKING LOST FOUR FRONTWINGS ON THAT STUPIT DRS SIGN AFTER TURN THREE!
edit2: and I damaged one at that stupit DHL thingy that Foli went through every other lap. It was rock solid for me!

Why don't people like India?! Sections 2 and 3 sucked at first for me, but once I got used to it, it feels so satisfying to get a perfect lap in. I think it might be my favorite track so far. <3 <3

Nice to have some backmarker footage. Thanks, Orgun!

Loved seeing Kyaw miss the pits, haha. You had a really eventful race too. More vids in future!

Also, when you went into the back of Mana I laughed. You're not as quick with your reactions as me!

Lucius86

Banned
Finally got my video up - 19.21.

Lost some image quality because I had to convert the video file down from 2gb to 750mb

Probably could have cut it shorter but eh.

I have not seen a better vid that advertises our league - amazing.

You're as bad as Foli with your gear shifting, yet the opposite - don't shift fast enough! I think the only reason I won was because of your battles holding you both up. With all that going on, a spin, yet only 4 seconds off - very impressive.

Orgun

Nice to have some backmarker footage. Thanks, Orgun!

Loved seeing Kyaw miss the pits, haha. You had a really eventful race too. More vids in future!

Also, when you went into the back of Mana I laughed. You're not as quick with your reactions as me!

I wasnt expecting him to stop so early! :)

If I get improve the performance slightly so I get a solid 60 while recording, i'll definitely keep recording. Had a couple of hitches during the race that nearly threw me off.

race-bannerqmp4g.png

iIHwYZhIm00HS.gif

qualifying-resultsw8otc.png

race-results55rsw.png

current-driver-standi3epnt.png

current-constructor-sluol1.png

It's looking very interesting at the top end of the drivers table at the moment. I have no idea what the end result will be - very exciting! Myself, Orgun, Speech, Kyaw and Lucius will be having some tight battles.

Constructors is now a two horse race pretty much.

Thanks to Kyaw for knocking these up today even after dying of man flu.

Yeah let's wrap this up, have a quick break, then see about a new one.

Last year people were really up for a new league, but interest dropped when we were doing it. Perhaps due to the fact it was 100%.

Regardless, this league has gone so well I want to finish it when scheduled, and then it can go out on a high note and we can plan our next league from there. It would be cool to have a league with the more obscure/disliked tracks, I personally feel.

Lach

Yeah let's wrap this up, have a quick break, then see about a new one.

Last year people were really up for a new league, but interest dropped when we were doing it. Perhaps due to the fact it was 100%.

Regardless, this league has gone so well I want to finish it when scheduled, and then it can go out on a high note and we can plan our next league from there. It would be cool to have a league with the more obscure/disliked tracks, I personally feel.

Yeah i'd think 100% would be too much for a weekly race.
I think having 8-10 races per "season" would be optimal. It allows to have a few (3-4) set tracks (classics like Valencia) and rotate the others. Plus it's fairer to people who enter the league halfway through the season.

Our 100% league was great last year when it lasted - but people lost interest unfortunately so there were only about 6 of us left. A 100% race is great, a very different dynamic to a 50% race, but it doesn't appeal to as many people so we won't try it again. (Truth be told, as fun as it was, I wouldn't to do 100% races again either)

We've done 10 tracks in this league, so we have 9 ones to choose from and we can bring back one or two more popular ones if that's the popular opinion.

I think we can make a second league definitely work! :)

We can't extend it because I've started work on an end of season thing and if we have more than 10 I'll have to completely rework it you bastard! :(

Also:

- New teams for a more competitive constructors.
- Gives the new people a chance to be more competitive now that they've had a few races.
- Will give Phleg a chance to rightfully win the championship (read: starting from scratch will allow a more exciting and varied drivers championship; it's basically impossible for most people to stand a chance to catch up now)

Gonna get some India laps in a bit. I need to pick up my pace - Phleg was running away in our practice yesterday! I know the track, I just need to figure out certain gears for maximum speed. There's a few corners that I can't decide on (mainly the really long right hander)

Oh man, I feel like I know India well now, but when your tyres go it's SO easy to lose it in the last sector. You can't push nearly as hard.

I predict a lot of crashes in the race.

I was getting 1:22s in my race with the AI just then by the end.

Mad_Ban

As much as I'd like for a longer league for a chance to catch up (I wouldn't anyway, my net will always be a twat :p), I feel it'd be right for the league to end when it was planned to.

I wouldn't mind a second league starting with the track no-one wanted, with favourites thrown in too (India, Montreal, Monaco), one this one is finished :)

I also think it's right to keep it at 50%. It's the right length for a league race including the 15 mins of quali we do beforehand.

Oh man, I feel like I know India well now, but when your tyres go it's SO easy to lose it in the last sector. You can't push nearly as hard.

I predict a lot of crashes in the race.

I was getting 1:22s in my race with the AI just then by the end.

Okay, so my times are up there. I did a 50% against AI the other day, and didn't crash once, except at the end when my tyre got punctured (I don't know why, probably from pushing way too hard to get better times at the end).

One thing I did notice is that it doesn't take nearly as long for the track to get fast for me. I think my first lap I had a 1:27, and followed it up by a 1:24. Most tracks I've been garbage for a long while until some rubber is down and my tyres are warmed up. But at India, I feel really comfortable from the moment the race starts. Maybe it's the setup I am trying, I don't know, but the only time I've spun out is on the last corner before the finish line, which I am extremely inconsistent at, but I'm otherwise golden from the start (by my pathetic standards).

Mad_Ban

I was honestly shocked how long the primes and options last at India, purely because of how quickly they died in Hungary. D:

Okay, here's my setup:

Front Wing Angle: 8
Rear Wing Angle: 8
Braking Balance: 50/50
Pressure: High
Brake Size: Large
Front-Antirollbar: 1
Rear-Antirollbar: 11
Front Ride Height: 1
Rear Ride Height: 1
Front Spring Stiffness: 11
Rear Spring Stiffness: 11
Gearbox in km/h: 142, 168, 199, 230, 264, 300, 343
Camber Front: -3.50
Camber Rear: -1.50
Toe Front: 0.15
Toe Rear: 0.50

It seems a little extreme, and it took a while to get used to, but I used it the instance when I the same setup get a 1:16 in a video. And Ive been doing a lot better than the default setup I was using before. The main part is, I put consistent laps out with no wrecks at all. I haven't come close to 1:16, but getting 1:22 every lap is satisfying enough for now.

Mad_Ban

I'm quite shocked with my speed at India. The car feels really heavy and isn't willing to turn much but the lap does seem to come together. I guess I just have to hope I can keep the gap up :p

And my net survives the race

Top Bottom