• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

Juicy Bob

Another brilliant batch of videos. Although I'll admit that I hate watching them, because they only make we want to play it myself even more!

Xun

It's a shame PC and 360 players can't play together.

It would make things perfect.

Anyway, still deciding on the console version. :/

I dont normally buy a title twice for different systems, but for this game I will make an exception.

The main reason is to play with my mate on the 360 but also to utilise my brand new PC. I get double gamerscore too, so thats a nice bonus (although I wouldnt buy 2 copies just for that).

Really looking forward to getting in some laps. Reviews look good too!

Dommel

Bungieware said:
How's the stand? The one thing that's putting me off a little is the price. It's £50 cheaper on the US website as well :/

The stand is great, feels very sturdy.

Playing 2010 360 online this afternoon, anyone up for some last day races? I am 1 level away from 25 but I doubt I will reach level 50, too slow to progress.

Staab said:
Yikes, that nordic guy who did the 30min HD PC gameplay footage also released an intentional SC intervention : here.

Even if he drives like an idiot and actually messes around, it demonstrates the driving limitations and some bugs/annoyances.
He was trying to break it so it's not completely horrifying, but auto breaking and putting you back on track is really disappointing. Also not letting you overtake the person ahead even if they crash?

We're going to have to give it a good go to see if it should be in our league.

Foliorum Viridum said:
He was trying to break it so it's not completely horrifying, but auto breaking and putting you back on track is really disappointing. Also not letting you overtake the person ahead even if they crash?

We're going to have to give it a good go to see if it should be in our league.

Not surprising that there's issues. They really should have just gone full auto throttle/break control under the safety car and just let you maintain some amount of steering control to enable you to focus on keeping heat in your tyres.

Lucius86

Banned
Lets just wait and see how it handles. He was purposefully breaking the SC function. Auto-braking does make sense, but it better be manual when the SC is about to come in to the pits. I want to be able to be as close to the guy in front as possible.

Foliorum Viridum said:
That would be even worse.

You might as well not have a SC if it just becomes an on-rails section.

Well at least that why they might be able to make a nicely focused, problem-free, mini game out of it. It's only ever out for two laps anyway.

Personally, I've never seen the attraction of simulating the safety car beyond how it changes the dynamics of a race.

I think the last thing most people want is a mini game, even if it is problem free.

The attraction for me of the SC is watching your speed, maintaining the heat in your tyres, trying to get a better re-start than the guy in front or behind you. I'm not going to say it's disappointing based on that video, but it doesn't look like it's entirely what I wanted.

Lucius86

Banned
Dilly said:
I'd like to see a video from someone who knows what he's doing during the SC section.

Aye. He was racing up behind player cars. Perhaps if you approach slower, it may not auto-brake.

Foliorum Viridum said:
That would be even worse.

You might as well not have a SC if it just becomes an on-rails section.
woah now there is more to a sc then that, it forces the race leaders to lose their advantage, it makes people at the back to join in with the pack again, it can allow a freebie pit stop, it's part of f1.

Rails or not it's important.

*edit* watched that video of the SC, it's only broken because he is forcing it to do things and driving like a dick, I doubt any of us here would cause problems that bad.

Of course, that's why I want it to work so well. We used to do manual SC in 2010 sometimes where the leader (read: Lucius) would bunch up the pack and we'd do a restart in races that were too spread out.

Juicy Bob

Diablohead said:
woah now there is more to a sc then that, it forces the race leaders to lose their advantage, it makes people at the back to join in with the pack again, it can allow a freebie pit stop, it's part of f1.

Rails or not it's important.
I agree. I fully expected the Safety Car to be a completely scripted, AI controlled sequence or even a cut scene and you'd have no control over it at all. From the sounds of it, the Safety Car feature will work a lot like the Formation Lap did in F1CE on the PS3 which, while obviously not as ideal as having full control, would be a lot better than having no control whatsoever.

I am now officially ready, only three achievements left in 2010 and two of them I will never hit most likely, level 50 online and online GP win (so many quitters online it's impossible to do legit) and 7 season years played, might do that one quickly but it will burn me out.

If they even bothered to test it, I'm sure they'd find 95% of players DQ'd themselves by passing under the safety car. It's like asking why won't it let me jump the start. I think it's probably too much to ask of players in a game like this.

Az

What was the issue with F1 2010 where they were making up lap times if I remember correctly? Was that fixed for this one?

Lucius86

Banned
TheAzRim said:
What was the issue with F1 2010 where they were making up lap times if I remember correctly? Was that fixed for this one?

Yes - you can now review all racing incidents with the Race Director, so you can see that nothing is made up this time around.

Kyaw

Pre-ordered from Play.com!

Might as well since i won't have internet to preload until 22nd evening.
Will it come on Friday or Thursday?

SunhiLegend said:
ibyl1wM1PKcwel.gif

Quoting this again because I miss having it on the page. It looks so realistic!

If only replay camera modding was easier, i'd love to work on official f1 camera angles

Branson said:
Any word on if it's better optimized on PC? 2010 ran kind of eh for me and Dirt 3 was definately a better port.
2010 used an old ego engine build, older then dirt 2's I think or something like that.

I hope this one runs better too, I don't have a slacking pc and 2010 would run rather bad in spots while good in others.

I hope they have improved the replay angles. So frustrating trying to watch a race with the shitty shaky camera angles they have in 2010. Why don't they just copy the camera angles the FOM provide?

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
2010 used an old ego engine build, older then dirt 2's I think or something like that.

I hope this one runs better too, I don't have a slacking pc and 2010 would run rather bad in spots while good in others.
Reeeally? That explains why everything Dirt 2 and newer run amazingly while F1 2010 is a bitch to get running right. Even so, I have no problems with games like GRID.

VVV Mars VG

Lucius86 said:
Thanks for the vids. Wait is going to be agonising now.

Out of curiosity, how did you get your early copy? Sorry if I am repeating the same question.

Oh I've been in the industry here and there for some 16 years and as a journalist for the last 11 years, doing bits'n bob's, though it's only since doing the video has anyone noticed, though if you search TeamVVV you're bound to find older stuff on the Gaf.

Shaneus said:
Reeeally? That explains why everything Dirt 2 and newer run amazingly while F1 2010 is a bitch to get running right. Even so, I have no problems with games like GRID.
90% sure that is right, heard it a long time back.

I am guessing delays in f1 2009's release meant they just stuck with the old 2009 engine and worked with that.

I played the demo @gamescom and tbh I found the framerate quite disturbing and there was some tearing going on ( console version ). Does anyone know if they improved this in the final build? I found the framerate of F1 2010 quite a gamebreaker personally.

kamspy

I hope they improve performance. I couldn't get 60fps at any setting. I've got a decent computer too. PII 955x4 and 460 GTX.

Fixed1979 said:
Shit that brings back memories, I remember trading a shit pile of MtG cards for one of those back in the day then subsequently causing it to smoke and die when plugging it in to the wrong AC adapter.

What happened to your G25?

Fuuuuuu

3 days 3 hours - here we go! Where's my manual!
I sold my G25. Needed money, barely used it cause I originally bought it for GT5 and GT5 sucked!

Good side of this story is that I bought a better card with the money, sold my older card yesterday for $75 and bought this for $10. Gas money and all, I have $50 in my pocket for this baby!

kamspy said:
I hope they improve performance. I couldn't get 60fps at any setting. I've got a decent computer too. PII 955x4 and 460 GTX.
Weird, I'd say you should be able to hit it easily with that rig. I have the same GPU and had great performance with my old 5850 and now 6950.

You should get close to it on Ultra, but by turning stuff down you must be able to achieve it with that rig.

Angst

Surprisingly good review from Gamespot. I was expecting something along the line: "It's a really good simulation, but lack of car bowling, car soccer and gymkhana makes it a dull experience for Joe Sixpack".

I think expectations for Dirt and F1 are vastly different. Dirt is just a general rally game, F1 is about a specific sport. It was hugely successful last year just going for the F1 market and I don't think that will ever change.

Top Bottom