• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Absolutely loved those comments from the IGN review:

F1 2011 had a brutal difficulty?!? I easily won the championship on Legend and I'm not very good at the game.

Anyone knows what are those differences?

It's embarassing how the IGN review looks exactly like the features list from Codemasters PR. This review is really itsnothing.gif.

Online reviews mean diddly squat these days. Almost everyone I know from the iRacing to the CM forums came away completely underwhelmed by the demo. There's no FP2 or FP3 option this year and no tire scaling under 100% as well. First game in the series I pass on unless I see incredibly glowing impressions around the web.

amar212

There's no FP2 or FP3 option this year and no tire scaling under 100% as well.

Reading Codemasters official forum is making my morning sad.

They had everything programmed and ready to deliver and they just backed down.

Why on Earth couldn't they just implement 2 tier-career: full-simulation and simulation? Is there even Q1>Q2>Q3 any more?

What is going on overthere?

Shaneus

Wait... fuck, what's tyre scaling? And no more FP2 or FP3? What the fuck are they thinking?

Oh, it'll still get 9's from places like IGN anyway.

I hope the official forums aren't just full of passive-aggressive people and folks are actually letting them know how pissed they are. Have any retailers started selling it early for any system, or is this just what people gathered from reviews?

And if RD give it such a great review but the rules have obviously been gimped, I'm not sure I'll trust ANY review from them.

No need to dig, here are two on the same track (India) from 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZomLu7wNfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNTokuZSRuc
Hey, don't forget that even the F1 2012 demo did it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QlQOIcVZ0

amar212

Wait... fuck, what's tyre scaling? And no more FP2 or FP3? What the fuck are they thinking?

Have any retailers started selling it early for any system, or is this just what people gathered from reviews?

Well, it is interesting to read what people that have the game early have to say about many things.

For example regarding wear-scaling:

Yeah the tyre scaling is non-existent for sure. I've done all the 25% races - they call you in as per strategy but as posted above you can just ignore it.

This is how silly it is - whatever the track, whatever the temperature or conditions you can put options on and run them the entire race and pit for primes on penultimate lap just to satisfy the rule.

Or about driving with all assists off:

Yes... You will get called in to pit, but you never feel the need to as you never reach the cliff. Itll show you have worn tyres, and youll get reminded of the tyre change rule every lap, but you never lose traction to warrant pitting if not for the rule... There no need to have ANY throttle control in the game. Just make sure you take corners slow enough, then just plant like you have TC. Thats the part of the game that sucks the most, as it just gets boring to never have a worry to spin out. Im gonna give it a fair shot because thats the kinda person I am. But I just dont see this as an upgrade over last years...

Yes... I really wish I could take credit for it by saying Im good at tyre management... But Im really not. No assists, pushing hard, and couldnt break traction... To give you a reference point. At the start of both races I had the throttle WIDE OPEN and I got a smidge of wheel spin. But not nearly enough. I still havnt mastered starts in 2011 mind you. The ONLY way Ive spin is if I take too much kerb, otherwise its point and shoot. Kinda boring...

And reviews.. You can't trust them because majority of reviewers have no idea about what they should look about in F1 games or they just do not bother to dig deeper than first few hands-on impressions, than run to write a review to catch the embargo-finish.

Also, I have discovered on Codemasters forum how they didn't sent review code to VVV for instance. Interesting, don't you think.

My favourite recent example of bad reviews prior to F12012 is the ISR review of the Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. If I was to listening them (who did their review after playing less than 4% of the game, which I can elaborate on) I would never even reconsider that game. And that particular game is currently my favourite racer of 2012, I am playing it for days and I can't see myself stop. So damn good, satisfying and addictive. But ISR called it arcade, they trashed it for reasons that are non-existent once you progress the initial tiers and they absolutely destroyed the possibility for potential thousands of players that base their purchases on ISR's reviews to actually enjoy one of the most spectacular console racers of this whole generation (yes, I find TD:FRR that damn good).

Salacious Crumb

Wait... fuck, what's tyre scaling?

The tyres would scale to race distance so tyre strategy was still important.

tyres would last half as long in a 50% race vs a 100% race.

With no scaling pretty much every league race will become a one stop because we only run 50% races.

This game is pretty fun so far. I haven't really dug deep enough to comment on its accuracy as a simulator, but it's certainly got a steep learning curve and can be incredibly unforgiving, and the sound design makes everything incredibly exciting.

That being said, holy shit this game has straight up garbage texture filtering (360 version, installed). The text on the inside of the front tires, the car decals, the track - everything seriously looks like ass as soon as you look past about a two-foot radius from the camera. The game's close-knit camera angles don't help, either (seriously, why have the camera pan around the car close-up in the main menu when the textures are so bad). I skipped 2011 but I don't remember 2010 looking like this.

nan0

I can't imagine that they fucked up the tyre wear, there has to be a setting that has been overseen.

Any comments on the AI yet? Still too fast or too slow on certain tracks?

I am on some real bad Internet out in the middle of nowhere but I just want to say this game is beyond bad in nearly every choice the devs chose, no tyre scaling is the runny shit on the already burned cake. Sorry.

Making a game more casual does not mean fully removing things that the first 2 games already did, for fucks sake code masters just go and dissolve already.

NHale

The tyres would scale to race distance so tyre strategy was still important.

tyres would last half as long in a 50% race vs a 100% race.

With no scaling pretty much every league race will become a one stop because we only run 50% races.

Even worse than just stopping 1 time, it's the fact that you will never have to worry about tyre wear so tyre management doesn't matter anymore. It's not like tyres are really important - maybe the most important - in F1 at the moment, right?

It's unbelievable. And according to Lee Mather on twitter, the change was made because with tyre scaling you couldn't learn anything on Practice. But at the same time they removed some practice sessions because they say only 0,0001% care about them. So they removed a feature because of pratice, but removed practice sessions because nobody cares (in fact, removing P2 and P3 is not all that important imho).

Codemasters decided to remove tyre scaling making it a 1-pit stop strategy for anything below 50% race distance (they removed 75% so there is no option between 50 and 100%) and who is going to race 100%? Maybe the same 0,0001% that cared about P2 and P3.

I'm shocked at this, every day it seems someone finds another feature that was completely removed from the game. This is not F1 2011 + 1 because that would imply they added something when in fact they removed it more than what they added.

What's the excuse now, Codemasters? Don't tell me it's the "license", right? Yes, the Holy Graal of excuses by Codemasters PR. After F1 2010 I was eager to see the future of the franchise and honestly believed the F1 license was in great hands, now I can't wait to see the F1 license on the hands of a competent and honest developer.

Wow, tyre wear is playing a big role this season in F1 and codemasters decide to remove tyre scaling from the game?

My brain can't make sense of this.

Robin

Makes the first reply even funnier now!

Really disappointed to read about this tyre wear thing. I'm still involved in a weekly league on F1 2011 with 30% and 50% races and having the tyre wear affect strategy was a big part of the fun. I'm gutted to see how this one is turning out and it looks like our league is already starting to fall apart because of it.

I doubt I'll buy this now and just save my money for Forza and Need For Speed.

_machine

I'm shocked at this, every day it seems someone finds another feature that was completely removed from the game. This is not F1 2011 + 1 because that would imply they added something when in fact they removed it more than what they added.
F1 2012 minus the F1

Seriously, I didn't even have very high hopes for the game going much forward from what I've heard the previous games were, but I just can't justify buying the game before it hits less than 10 bucks on sale.

EDIT:
:lol:
that op is amazing

DD

Why three free practices are that important? Just one isn't enough? I mean, you have one entire hour to learn the track and to adjust the car. I used to play with the long race weekends mode on F1 2010, but it's just a waste of time. I've played F1 2011 with only short race weekends. So, why is that so important? This is not a very realistic simulation title. It won't make any difference...

It's just one example of pure laziness and the arrogance to remove features without adding anything in return (LOL if you say YDT/Championship).

But it's more the tyre stuff people are furious about. As someone who has participated in leagues since 2010, I can tell you that's the most important part. This is after it's become apparent the driving model isn't up to snuff, too.

Basically, for all of us on this page, the most die hard of fans, to say fuck this game, you know Codemasters have fucked up.

It's beyond comprehension they would do this much to ruin the franchise. Absolutely mind boggling.

amar212

What in fact got me thinking is one important detail that has been overlooked.

And no, please do not throw "licensing" at this, because if you sign for multi-year license you should probably think about it. To explain:

Today in 2012, Codies already have all data/car model changes/weather specifics/tracks for all GP's run in both 2010 and 2011 and majority of 2012 GP races.

So, why the actual Career mode isn't structured around that? You know, when you have all that assets on your disposal and you're tending to please your main audience - F1 fans - why do you don't just jump in such vast pool of inspiration?

You know, like starting as young driver in 2010 (proper cars, grid places, AI routines, potential in-race incidents as pre-baked scenarios to trigger at some point of the race - if FPS games can do it, why on earth shouldn't some F1 game..) and than real evolution towards 2012. To actually have Bahrain in 2010 but not in 2011, to drive Hockenheim in 2010 but Nurburgring in 2011, to get India in 2011 and have Bahrain returning, America introduced, etc in 2012. To have game mirror all driver changes and such and to actually FEEL like there is some kind of evolution going on. To game use real data for weather for all past races for instance.

I don't know. Probably licenses.

Shaneus

I haven't read the updated OP yet, but I think I'm going to tweet a link to it to T4RG4, because he's the most arrogant of all the Codepasters staff and seems to think he knows what the game's potential audience wants.

Next year, I'm thinking "Man, barely 5% used wheels with our game in 2012, we should just remove it" will be a valid thought process by them.

NHale

Why three free practices are that important? Just one isn't enough? I mean, you have one entire hour to learn the track and to adjust the car. I used to play with the long race weekends mode on F1 2010, but it's just a waste of time. I've played F1 2011 with only short race weekends. So, why is that so important? This is not a very realistic simulation title. It won't make any difference...

I don't see anyone complaining about free practices being removed. I do see everyone "angry" at the decision to remove tyre wear scaling from F1 2012, which is very important to the simulation of the sport.

Without tyre wear scaling you might as well call this game Codemasters F1 2012 SuperStars Hiper Turbo Edition GP.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Cody want people stop playing the game after 1 week, so after the 1st season of the carrer with a boring Virgin... So everybody will forget the game when F1 2013 will be release.

Great F1 games stopped appearing after the turn of the century, after games like Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 (1996) and Grand Prix Legends (1998).

Sad but true.

If only Polyphony Digital could have that license...

Foshy

I admit I always skipped P2 and P3 but there is no fucking reason why they should take them out. Seriously, it makes no sense at all.

And no tire scaling is a joke.

DD

I haven't read the updated OP yet, but I think I'm going to tweet a link to it to T4RG4, because he's the most arrogant of all the Codepasters staff and seems to think he knows what the game's potential audience wants.

Next year, I'm thinking "Man, barely 5% used wheels with our game in 2012, we should just remove it" will be a valid thought process by them.
Bah, Steve is a nice guy. I've interviewd him once. He's cool... :)

I don't see anyone complaining about free practices being removed. I do see everyone "angry" at the decision to remove tyre wear scaling from F1 2012, which is very important to the simulation of the sport.

Without tyre wear scaling you might as well call this game Codemasters F1 2012 SuperStars Hiper Turbo Edition GP.
Yeah, tire wear scaling is something really big. THAT made me sad. But hey, maybe they can fix it with a patch. :)

Shaneus

If PD had the license, we would get F1 2012 in 2017.
Bahahaha. I did laugh.

Who would do the best job at it, though? F1 these days is far more than just being technical and the racing like it was back in the 90s. Needs to convey the circus surrounding it as well, IMO.

We should list teams who would/could have done a great job:

Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool. Disadvantage: Single platform, don't exist.
Bizarre. Disadvantage: Not around anymore.
Playground Games. British enough that they could probably do a decent job.
Sega Racing Studio. Would probably be too cartoony/arcadey. Would convey atmosphere well enough, though.
Polyphony. Disadvantage: Single platform. 2017.

Bah, Steve is a nice guy. I've interviewd him once. He's cool... :)
He may well be, but the arrogance he's displayed when being asked (quite appropriately, I might add) about things like brake balance and the FP stuff absolutely astounds me. If you make some pretty significant design decisions, prepare to take criticism constructively rather than acting like you know better. I'd probably be reacting to the reception of this game significantly differently if he'd acted better.

Top Bottom