• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

1-D_FTW

What in fact got me thinking is one important detail that has been overlooked.

And no, please do not throw "licensing" at this, because if you sign for multi-year license you should probably think about it. To explain:

Today in 2012, Codies already have all data/car model changes/weather specifics/tracks for all GP's run in both 2010 and 2011 and majority of 2012 GP races.

So, why the actual Career mode isn't structured around that? You know, when you have all that assets on your disposal and you're tending to please your main audience - F1 fans - why do you don't just jump in such vast pool of inspiration?

You know, like starting as young driver in 2010 (proper cars, grid places, AI routines, potential in-race incidents as pre-baked scenarios to trigger at some point of the race - if FPS games can do it, why on earth shouldn't some F1 game..) and than real evolution towards 2012. To actually have Bahrain in 2010 but not in 2011, to drive Hockenheim in 2010 but Nurburgring in 2011, to get India in 2011 and have Bahrain returning, America introduced, etc in 2012. To have game mirror all driver changes and such and to actually FEEL like there is some kind of evolution going on. To game use real data for weather for all past races for instance.

I don't know. Probably licenses.

Probably more like EA and Madden Syndrome. What's the incentive? People will buy anyways if they want the latest update. So keep development costs to a minimum (aside from huge license cost), because anything else is just cutting into your profits.

My favourite recent example of bad reviews prior to F12012 is the ISR review of the Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends. If I was to listening them (who did their review after playing less than 4% of the game, which I can elaborate on) I would never even reconsider that game. And that particular game is currently my favourite racer of 2012, I am playing it for days and I can't see myself stop. So damn good, satisfying and addictive. But ISR called it arcade, they trashed it for reasons that are non-existent once you progress the initial tiers and they absolutely destroyed the possibility for potential thousands of players that base their purchases on ISR's reviews to actually enjoy one of the most spectacular console racers of this whole generation (yes, I find TD:FRR that damn good).

I always thought there was something off about their review. To be honest I did believe it but I had been thinking about getting the game prior to watching their review and the decided against it after watching.

Looking back at their F1 2010 and 2011 reviews it definitely feels like not enough time was invested in playing the games.

Polyphony. Disadvantage: Single platform. 2017

Using the assets they already have they'd get it done in time and would do a better job than most of the developers out there.

Shaneus

Basically, I need to win the Euromillions and start up my own studio for F1 games....
We should've bought Bizarre when we had the chance :/

Bah, Steve is a nice guy. I've interviewd him once. He's cool... :)
He may well be, but the arrogance he's displayed when being asked (in quite a tempered fashion, I might add) about things like brake balance and the FP stuff absolutely astounds me. If you make some pretty significant design decisions, prepare to take criticism constructively rather than acting like you know better. I'd probably be reacting to the reception of this game significantly differently if he'd acted better.

amar212

We should list teams who would/could have done a great job:

I think you are looking at this from the wrong way.

I really think that Codemasters did a phenomenal job with basic engine for this game and clearly we can say that combining everything we have from 2010/2011/2012 would make a hell of a F1 game.

Imagine best parts of all 3 games presented in one overall package and throw in some potential possibilities that arise from such consecutive development (as idea of having real data from previous years to create actual career).

What we're seeing here is not lack of vision/arrogance/incompetence or such. What we're seeing is clear move that becomes prevalent in majority of current racing games, where plethora of potentially important features for more demanding players are being either dumbed-down or scrapped out because someone important in final decision-making process finds them unnecessary. And yes, I am looking a 5% cockpit players here too Codemasters (I can put my hand in fire how actual coders and programmers there can pull-out cockpits with stable 30fps, but it is not their decision).

Personally, I blame various *focus-groups*, influence of *journalists* and some white-collar heads who are desperate in keeping their *vision* and *forecasts* alive while sacrificing whatever they can in order to promote their vision (and keep their bonus alive).

I am 100% certain how current state of EGO 2.0 engine that powers F1 2012 is more than capable to deliver anything needed for greatest F1 game ever made. But cutting down everything to *something* has nothing to do with 99% of Codemasters employees. I congratulate to complete F1 team for their work done on foundations of the F1 game. But for the rest 1% of actual decision-makers...

I really wonder how can't they understand that casualisation leads to trivialisation and trivialisation leads to ignorance. If I can understand that - and I am not an *industry professional* by any mean - why can't they? Can't they learn from their own experiences? Or from experiences of others... because graveyard of driving franchises died because of the Make It Casual™ syndrome is really vast these days..

Shaneus

I think you are looking at this from the wrong way.

I really think that Codemasters did a phenomenal job with basic engine for this game and clearly we can say that combining everything we have from 2010/2011/2012 would make a hell of a F1 game.

Imagine best parts of all 3 games presented in one overall package and throw in some potential possibilities that arise from such consecutive development (as idea of having real data from previous years to create actual career).

What we're seeing here is not lack of vision/arrogance/incompetence or such. What we're seeing is clear move that becomes prevalent in majority of current racing games, where plethora of potentially important features for more demanding players are being either dumbed-down or scrapped out because someone important in final decision-making process finds them unnecessary. And yes, I am looking a 5% cockpit players here too Codemasters (I can put my hand in fire how actual coders and programmers there can pull-out cockpits with stable 30fps, but it is not their decision).

Personally, I blame various *focus-groups*, influence of *journalists* and some white-collar heads who are desperate in keeping their *vision* and *forecasts* alive while sacrificing whatever they can in order to promote their vision (and keep their bonus alive).

I am 100% certain how current state of EGO 2.0 engine that powers F1 2012 is more than capable to deliver anything needed for greatest F1 game ever made. But cutting down everything to *something* has nothing to do with 99% of Codemasters employees. I congratulate to complete F1 team for their work done on foundations of the F1 game. But for the rest 1% of actual decision-makers...

I really wonder how can't they understand that casualisation leads to trivialisation and trivialisation leads to ignorance. If I can understand that - and I am not an *industry professional* by any mean - why can't they? Can't they learn from their own experiences? Or from experiences of others... because graveyard of driving franchises died because of the Make It Casual™ syndrome is really vast these days..
You're mostly right. But that's the thing though... any of the teams I mentioned I doubt would have succumbed to those sorts of pressures, or at least stuck to their guns a little more. As it appears now, each of the decisions were done by Codemasters themselves and not higher-ups. At least, that's the impression I get from their spokespeople.

Perhaps they should take it a little more tactfully rather than getting on the offensive when someone asks them about a feature/bug. As it is, all I can see is that as far as they're concerned, the developer knows more about what the gamer wants, not the suits and certainly not the general public.

And yeah, it does suck. Not a lot needed to be done to make a great game from last year's. At least we have some pretty decent 2012 mods for 2011!

NHale

He may well be, but the arrogance he's displayed when being asked (quite appropriately, I might add) about things like brake balance and the FP stuff absolutely astounds me. If you make some pretty significant design decisions, prepare to take criticism constructively rather than acting like you know better. I'd probably be reacting to the reception of this game significantly differently if he'd acted better.

While he does seem a nice guy on twitter, he is completely mishandling the F1 2012 launch fiasco.

Yesterday, when asked about "no tyre scaling" he complained about how people were getting their pitchforks ready without knowing if it was true or the reasons behind that decision. Then some people politely asked if it was true and what were those reasons and he basically gave them a non-answer. Great job Steve!

"Maybe they will fix it in a patch" has been their MO since 2010. I say fuck that now. Three years in, you shouldn't be able to do it like that.

Completely agree. If you launch a piece of shit, the "maybe they will fix it in a patch" doesn't fly anymore.

It's very clear that F1 2012 was dumbed down to appeal to casual users. You just have to take a look at people praising the game, 95% of them are either controller users or Codemasters apologists.

Codemasters is betting that hardcore fans are still going to buy the game because they love F1 and this is the only F1 game on the market while trying to get a bigger share of the casual market. What they seem to ignore is how fickle the casual market is and the same way they seem interested on the game this year, they will probably ignore it next year while getting interested on the new shining thing. The problem for them is that after this year, maybe the hardcore will ignore it also.

Then they will come out and say they are not renewing the license because the "hardcore" racing genre is rapidly shrinking and the F1 license is not profitable anymore.

2011 handling
Fleshed out online mode, 24 players
Fixed glitches/penalties/Safety Car

Perfect game right there.

Add spectator mode and a decent career mode.

I've never played an F1 game before but had a lot of fun with the PC demo. Will buy this on a Steam sale. I don't understand the things people are complaining about. Ignorance is bliss.

Klocker

I've never played an F1 game before but had a lot of fun with the PC demo. Will buy this on a Steam sale. I don't understand the things people are complaining about. Ignorance is bliss.

Exactly... picking this up this morning sand never returning to this thread until the people who are not going to buy it are done venting. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Spectator would be awesome for streaming league races etc.

Single player features? Pfft, if you're a billy no mates maybe!

24 player MP, but additional 12 players can join the game as team leaders and pitstop managers.
Internal voiceover support, drivers can only talk with their teammate and pitstop.
HUD with no tire/distance to other players/lap/position info.
As an added bonus, 1-3 person team that will have "charlie powers", deciding fate of all race incidents in real time.

MP F1 GAME OF THE CENTURY.

Exactly... picking this up this morning sand never returning to this thread until the people who are not going to buy it are done venting. :)
The people venting are the biggest fans of the franchise. Almost everyone here play the F1 games since the 2010 version and it's really sad to see Codemasters' fuckups. That's not "venting", all complaints here are legitimate because those problems can/could ruin the whole experience.

Please, bear with us complaining about the game's flaws. Believe me, there are serious flaws in there if everything the people playing it already are saying is true. I'll be able to see it for myself tomorrow (or as soon as Steam allows me to play it).

Staab

If you're content to play it in an arcade'ish way and ignore the multiplayer aspect completely, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
However that doesn't mean the game is great overall, it has tons of major flaws (and especially incoherences) that you're willing to ignore completely, good for you.
Some people aren't willing to overlook them...

.Shodan

Wow, I skipped 2011 to get 2012 and you guys are saying the previous game is better? yeesh.

I know what you mean. Might just pick up 2011 today instead.
Yep, I'm new to the series and i'm picking up F1 2011.

I just need one info from the fans of the series: what is the best title simulation-wise in the series so far?
Ok, I know that I shouldn't expect a pure simulation from Codemasters, but still.

BTW, tried the demo, not impressed.

2011 is your only choice. 2010's handling is abysmal. Some people will tell you it's more sim, they're wrong. It's just downright bad.

2011 has engine mapping, KERS and DRS plus a great driving model. Go with that, it's more sim in my eyes.

Lucius86

Banned

You do know the people venting are like....the people who compete in the leagues, followed the game religiously, spent countless hours making community vids and have had meet ups in RL thanks to our community?

Yeah. There's a reason a lot of people are miffed.

What Lucius means is:

tlNqk.jpg

OH YEAH IT'S BACK

2011 is your only choice. 2010's handling is abysmal. Some people will tell you it's more sim, they're wrong. It's just downright bad.

2011 has engine mapping, KERS and DRS plus a great driving model. Go with that, it's more sim in my eyes.
I actually played 2011 this past weekend for the first time at a buddy's house and HATED the controls at first. Coming from 2010 being like 5 seasons deep and playin that a ton the past few years. I just could not get used to it. Then 5 hours later I found myself still playing it and I went home and booted up 2010 and was like WTF IS THIS SHIT. ~_~

So, lesson learned: 2011 handling is better. Takes some time to get used to though. Especially if so used to 2010.

DD

The cars in 2011 are too tail happy. I usually let the rear suspension a bit higher and softer (like in a wet setup) to solve this issue.

Anyway, the only real problem with 2012 to me until now is with the tire wear. Is it confirmed or just a rumor yet? I dunno, I respect everyone's opinions, but nobody seems to point out the improvements, like the better IA, better graphics and better otimization, for example...

I actually played 2011 this past weekend for the first time at a buddy's house and HATED the controls at first. Coming from 2010 being like 5 seasons deep and playin that a ton the past few years. I just could not get used to it. Then 5 hours later I found myself still playing it and I went home and booted up 2010 and was like WTF IS THIS SHIT. ~_~

So, lesson learned: 2011 handling is better. Takes some time to get used to though. Especially if so used to 2010.

Yup. We went back to F1 2010 a few weeks ago for nostalgia and dear lord it's shit after 200+ hours in 2011. Anyone who says the handling is better is a mentalist.

Also, someone from a different community is doing a live PC stream in about two hours. I'll post the link when it's up!

NHale

That's exactly the correct attitude to have. Dismiss every complaint as venting. You should apply for a job to Codemasters PR, you definitely would fit right in.

The cars in 2011 are too tail happy. I usually let the rear suspension a bit higher and softer (like in a wet setup) to solve this issue.

Anyway, the only real problem with 2012 to me until now is with the tire wear. Is it confirmed or just a rumor yet? I dunno, I respect everyone's opinions, but nobody seems to point out the improvements, like the better IA, better graphics and better otimization, for example...

Did they improve the AI from the demo to the full game? Because the AI in the demo is still as dumb as the previous games.

Tried to play the demo last night with the MS Speed Wheel but quit before I even played.

Before racing it has you go over the controls, like how to steer and how to manually shift. There are no RB and LB buttons on the Speed Wheel, so i'm not able to complete the very basic tutorial on manual shifting. It even has MS Speed Wheel listed as the controller in the options, but it still tries to make me use buttons I don't have in the tutorial. I can't seem to skip the tutorial.

I'll setup with a standard controller later, but it's pretty lame I can't even start a game with the Speed Wheel. Hopefully the tutorial doesn't come up every time I play the demo.

.Shodan

Ok, I'll pick up F1 2011 as soon as I come back to my Fanatec.

What should I expect from the IA - I assume that online will be pretty much dead in a couple of weeks -?

DD

Did they improve the AI from the demo to the full game? Because the AI in the demo is still as dumb as the previous games.

Nah, in 2010 and 2011 the IA needed the whole track to overtake you, while 2012's demand a lot less space. Give it a little space, and it will overtake you. In 2011 they simply break if you close the door a little...

PC stream live now: http://www.twitch.tv/lowkeyedup

We'll be testing:

1) Tyre deg on a 50% race.
2) Ability to tune out the understeer from the demo.
3) Better braking with small/high pressure
4) Can I get it to brake loose around corners and at the start with no TC.

And lots more! Tune in and let us know what else you want done!

Megasoum

Banned
PC stream live now: http://www.twitch.tv/lowkeyedup

We'll be testing:

1) Tyre deg on a 50% race.
2) Ability to tune out the understeer from the demo.
3) Better braking with small/high pressure
4) Can I get it to brake loose around corners and at the start with no TC.

And lots more! Tune in and let us know what else you want done!

Heh, my friend is telling me that T4RG4 is there? I wish I could open it at work haha.

1-D_FTW

How about Kickstarter: Grand Prix Legends 2 (PS3/Xbox360/PC)?

I mean look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq6U7uH63c

(off-topic how about Kickstarter: Transport Tycoon PS Vita)
And does anybody know what Geoff Crammond is up to these days?

Unfortunately, not going to happen. David Kaemmer, the guy behind GPL, went on to form iracing. Don't see him abandoning that anytime soon.

Geoff Crammond was the man behind the Grand Prix games (but not Grand Prix Legends). And he's apparently fallen off the face of the planet.

Tried to play the demo last night with the MS Speed Wheel but quit before I even played.

Before racing it has you go over the controls, like how to steer and how to manually shift. There are no RB and LB buttons on the Speed Wheel, so i'm not able to complete the very basic tutorial on manual shifting. It even has MS Speed Wheel listed as the controller in the options, but it still tries to make me use buttons I don't have in the tutorial. I can't seem to skip the tutorial.

I'll setup with a standard controller later, but it's pretty lame I can't even start a game with the Speed Wheel. Hopefully the tutorial doesn't come up every time I play the demo.

Like 2011, you'll need to get creative with the control layout when using the Speed Wheel. Some buttons HAVE to be mapped like the all the quick menu buttons. The back button needs to be used for remapping as well.

You'll lose the use of some things, but nothing imperative, imo. KERS, DRS, gear up/down, look back - you can get all of that to work.

It's fun as hell with the once you can it up and running.

Right guys, it will be archived here: http://www.twitch.tv/lowkeyedup (a very fun watch!)

Basically -
1) The handling for the top cars looks much better in regards to understeer/braking.
2) Tyres are definitely not scaled, but we can still see some strategy being there.
3) We could not bring out the safety car AT ALL. The races always got red flagged or we just got a penalty. Very odd.

All in all, I think it was a shite demo and some people being hyperbolic on the forums about the issues.

Thanks VERY much to GAFer LowKeyedUp for not only getting us a stream that had 2000+ people watching, but also being entertaining as hell.

Of course! I was always dying for the game to be good so I could take part in it, especially since I'm the one organising it :p

I feel confident I can buy it now and have fun. I'm not confident it will be better than 2011, but hey, if we can have a fun league I'm happy.

DD

Wish I could play in the GAF league, but since I live to far, I'll just end up lagging the races. =P

Top Bottom