• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

DD

How do you change the brake pressure? The only tuning I could find was the piece of shit basic suggestions.

Not possible on the demo. The game automatically choses the lower pressure when you select the lower aerodynamic/downforce package.

Only tried a few laps yesterday evening on the PS3, using the dualshock. Lowest downforce setting.

- don't like the feel when at super high speeds, feels like there is a slight disconnect between the left stick position and the way the car reacts to it. like it's way too sensitive. and there's no steering sensitivity option.

if i'm pulling 20º left it feels like the car is going 25 or 30º left. just weird. can't explain it.
That's because you get more downforce when you reach high speeds.

- i haven't got the hang of braking but it does feel like if you move the bias forwards during the session it improves it a bit. takes ages to lock up if you just mash the brakes.
I think that that's how it is suposed to work. I mean, the wheels are spining at hundreds per hour. It shoudn't lock up so early. Every professional driver will say that you have to kick the break pedal and decrease the pressure slowly, so they won't lock up when at lower speeds.

The breaking zones are very similar with the normal breaks pressure:

Jerôme D'Ambrosio onboard at Italy - Monza '12 + overtake on Heikki Kovalainen

But I guess that we are accustomed with the "supa powaful" breakes of 2011's. :3

Played the demo on ps3 yesterday, the game feels pretty good to me (I've not played f1 2010 or 2011). One thing that bothered me is that the graphic is not really good, the aliasing on ps3 is really high and it feels like the game resolution is really low. I completely agree with people that were saying that f1 championship edition has better graphic than this on ps3. This is even worse because WRC 3 looks really really good (I know one car versus 24 but still you see a big difference). Another things that I don't like is the penalty system because sometimes just because you slow down for a slow turn and someone behind you does an accident it becomes your fault, it doesn't make sense to me, especially if you are not really that slow and you don't see what is happening behind you. In the end I don't think I'm going to buy this day one, it doesn't seem worthy of the full price to me (especially the mainland Europe full price).
I don't know about the consoles, but on the PC I think it looks really good. Some nice improvement over 2010 and 2011. The previous interations had a bland opaque look, but now the cars shine gloriously. The new color filter is cool too.

Every racing game should have 2-3 sets of proper trackside camera angles per circuit with zero floaty bs nonsense, that shit drives me up the wall.
Same for Turn 10. These guys never learn... =/

Juicy Bob

I wouldn't pay any attention to the braking markers. I have read somewhere before that they are only cosmetic and don't actually reflect the genuine in-game distance from the corners.

EDIT: I should point out, this wasn't from an official source, but from someone who'd analysed F1 2010 in detail.

Wilbur

Banned
Played a few more times, qualified 20th and finished 13th and then changed my tires, poled and finished first. Still got all assists on and easy but I've adapted relatively quickly haha, can't wait to get fucking destroyed the second I take brake assists off

I wouldn't pay any attention to the braking markers. I have read somewhere before that they are only cosmetic and don't actually reflect the genuine in-game distance from the corners.

That is the most stupid thing ever if true, the point of the distance markers is to tell you the distance.

My god Codemasters you are beyond saving at this point, pull your finger out.

Yeah, either the markers are not right or the braking is off because I'm pretty sure in F1 qualifying they don't start breaking until between the 100-125 meter mark, which is how it is in 2011, where as in 2012 you have to start braking at the 150m mark. Personally I think you have to brake earlier than you should do in 2012.

Got the game for review a couple of days ago. Downloading it now.
steambc.png

After embargo lifts I guess I can talk about it. So that sucks. :(

Jibbed

Got the game for review a couple of days ago. Downloading it now.
steambc.png

After embargo lifts I guess I can talk about it. So that sucks. :(

Damn. I'm assuming you're doing a write-up for a website or magazine?

I know you probably can't say anyway, but we'd fucking love you if you could tell us what the brakes and balance of the car are like in the final build.

Goddamn Codies give them to just anyone.

I should Tweet them and see if I can get one too. I'd use the 9-10 scale to sweeten the deal.

Impressions of the setups/brakes/overall handling please people. Even if you have to PM them to me :p

Yeah I got my codes a couple of days ago but preview events left, right and center have made me too tired to play anything. That and Borderlands 2 is sucking me in.

kharma45

PC? If so you should ask for a Steam code, as far as I know physical units aren't going out until closer to launch (except for X360/PS3)

Yeah PC, I'll enquire about a Steam code, I presumed that's what I was gonna get anyway but it'd come with the letter or whatever about the NDA.

Yeah PC, I'll enquire about a Steam code, I presumed that's what I was gonna get anyway but it'd come with the letter or whatever about the NDA.

Yeah, give that a go. I didn't have to read/sign an NDA. My contact sent a Steam key and said "just don't post anything until the global embargo of x/x/2012."

Klocker

loving the demo. seems like its more realistic than 2011 and people playing with pads are reporting same after getting used to new driving model and dummbed down demo settings.

wheel users not so much

day 1

Shaneus

Goddamn Codies give them to just anyone.

I should Tweet them and see if I can get one too. I'd use the 9-10 scale to sweeten the deal.

Impressions of the setups/brakes/overall handling please people. Even if you have to PM them to me :p
9-10 scale? Like, nine minus ten? Because that sound appropriate.

-1, for you non-mathematatical people.

DD

Is it only me or the other cars in the game don't use the DRS in qualifying and the Kers in the race???

How can we know if they are using the Kers? They use (and it's frightening) the DRS against me during the races, that I can tell you... o.o'

loving the demo. seems like its more realistic than 2011 and people playing with pads are reporting same after getting used to new driving model and dummbed down demo settings.

wheel users not so much

day 1
Same here. :)

I'm finding it so much better then the previous games... *¬*

Cuddler

How can we know if they are using the Kers? They use (and it's frightening) the DRS against me during the races, that I can tell you... o.o'
I thought that every driver used the majority, if not all the kers at the start in the first lap, but I can gain a lot of position using the kers at the beginning and other driver are clearly not using it. Yes, you are right about the DRS during the race, they pass you really easily using that.

Ryökäle

Neo Member
Well I decided to buy this after playing the demo. It just feels like I'm extremely slow, my best time on Yas Marina is something like 1.47 and when I looked at other people's times they we're almost 10 seconds faster than me...

Would like to try playing in an online championship but I'm afraid I would be a moving roadblock :(

Cuddler

Ryökäle;42153530 said:
Well I decided to buy this after playing the demo. It just feels like I'm extremely slow, my best time on Yas Marina is something like 1.47 and when I looked at other people's times they we're almost 10 seconds faster than me...

Would like to try playing in an online championship but I'm afraid I would be a moving roadblock :(
What? I do 1:47 too...and 1:27/1:26:500 in Monza...

Cuddler

Ryökäle;42156229 said:
Wow, maybe with the right settings, a wheel, manual transmission, ecc...but I play only with a pad. However I always play single player the most, because I like it more (and I don't have all the tension that you have with others), so it's not a big problem for me. I find myself pretty well with the hardest difficulty in the demo. I'm pretty sure only a small part of people online plays with a wheel and can do that type of times.

Klocker

wow on medium and game is hard for me. :(

dont know what some people are talking about with regard to speed out of corners. i need to feather that shit depending on when and where i am. also curbs jack me up. i will enjoy the challenge of getting better in full version

no assists and med high downforce/speed setting , brakes front

Staab

Yaw, give us some vague info on the important stuff : the online! ;)
What modes, what options and how is it running (if it's available yet) ?

NHale

So it appears that the understeer is just the game being programed to not steer the car if you apply full lock.

After seeing so many people saying this at Codemasters forums, I just tried driving while turning the wheel very slightly and the understeer magically disappeared and I was 3 seconds per lap faster in Monza than was I before.

Unfortunately this takes out all of the driving aggressiveness that F1 2011 had and makes me feel very tentative in every corner (the magic spinning kerbs doesn't help). Don't understand why they changed it but my guess is that it was one compromise to get controllers competitive against wheels.

hanzo

Banned
PC demo is nice. Which one should I get PC or PS3? Anyone want to split the pc with me? They have a 2 pack for 17% off

gtmax

Why does this series release in the middle of the F1 season?

If I were making this game i'd do the following:

Release the game to coincide with the first day of the F1 season
Have a Championship option which follows the real season in real time
You have the option to Practice Friday and Saturday, at the real time real drivers are doing it, then the race on Sunday
Allow the player to play in a fantasy league style manner
So you create a guy and you are in the grid against all the other drivers
The game will update standings based on what happened in real world
Perhaps even the lap times could be replicated in-game?
Any changes that happen IRL get updated in the game
obviosly crashes and the like would be impossible to replicate...
At least this might shake up the staleness of the Franchise

I've been playing Daytona from PSN and i'm having a hell of a blast on that game. Very simple handling system but it makes the game fun as hell. Just had to drop that in here.

NHale

You still drive at 60kph through the pit during the race...

You can pit in the demo?

Why does this series release in the middle of the F1 season?

If I were making this game i'd do the following:

Release the game to coincide with the first day of the F1 season
Have a Championship option which follows the real season in real time
You have the option to Practice Friday and Saturday, at the real time real drivers are doing it, then the race on Sunday
Allow the player to play in a fantasy league style manner
So you create a guy and you are in the grid against all the other drivers
The game will update standings based on what happened in real world
Perhaps even the lap times could be replicated in-game?
Any changes that happen IRL get updated in the game
obviosly crashes and the like would be impossible to replicate...
At least this might shake up the staleness of the Franchise

I've been playing Daytona from PSN and i'm having a hell of a blast on that game. Very simple handling system but it makes the game fun as hell. Just had to drop that in here.

F1 is not NBA or FIFA. You can't launch a game to coincide with the start of the season because that way you couldn't have this year car models in the game since they are constantly changed until the first race of the season and the game has to be ready 1 month before launch. They could realistically launch earlier but some publishers are still afraid of the July-August period.

The "live season" scenario is good idea but you can't simply just put lap times in the game and race against it unless you want to take out the racing out of a racing game. How would you manage the start of the grand prix? Every car is a ghost? Because if they are not a ghost, your actions as a player changes what the cars around you do, so after that everything is changed. If you manage to get ahead Alonso and in a real race he does 1.35 in a lap but you are doing 1.37 while having a better top speed, how would the game handle that? He can't overtake, so he can't do 1.35 like he did in real life. And if every car is a ghost, then it's not F1 racing, it's a time trial.

NHale

Absolutely loved those comments from the IGN review:

The overall difficulty could be placed somewhere between the brutal F1 2011 and the challenging F1 2010 – not easy then

F1 2011 had a brutal difficulty?!? I easily won the championship on Legend and I'm not very good at the game.

Even returning F1 players should appreciate this refresher course in basic training, as there are plenty of nuanced differences to pick up on that reflect the changes the FIA has introduced to the motorsport since F1 2011 hit shelves.

Anyone knows what are those differences?

It's embarassing how the IGN review looks exactly like the features list from Codemasters PR. This review is really itsnothing.gif.

EDIT: Wow Martin Robinson was really on form writing his review for Eurogamer. He managed to shit on Codemasters, Bernie Ecclestone, COTA, Hermann Tilke, Anthony Davidson all in the same review. I'm sure Codemasters PR will not be happy...

Klocker

But the hardcore racing nuts will appreciate the new handling mode most of all. It's noticeably twitchier with a pad, but that's because with a racing wheel it's an exercise in perfection. It's all about taming the razor-sharp responsiveness, feeling the raw grip and keeping understeer at arm's length, instead of just battering the corners into submission like last year's game needed you to do.

It takes some getting used to, but once you understand you're in total control of the relationship between the tyres and the track, you realise what a huge improvement it is. And it finally makes the last piece fall into place. Now, the game not only looks like F1, finally it moves like real F1. There's not much greater praise you can give an F1 game than that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eview-looks-and-finally-moves-like-f1-review/

TJP

RaceDepartment have also reviewed F1 2012: http://www.racedepartment.com/2012/09/f1-2012-the-game-review/

"The conclusion couldn't be more simple: F1 2012 The Game is worth it's money and definitely a massive improvement compared to the 2010 & 2011 edition. As with every game in this series it's pretty obvious that it's not specifically aimed at the hardcore sim racing community and buying this game thinking it will be like rFactor2 with an official Formula 1 license will ultimately lead to a disappointing experience".

RaceDepartment noted that save games are still being corrupted from time to time and the game still has invisible walls.

Lot's of screens and videos here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/f1-2012-review-by-racedepartment.56010/

DD

RaceDepartment have also reviewed F1 2012: http://www.racedepartment.com/2012/09/f1-2012-the-game-review/

"The conclusion couldn't be more simple: F1 2012 The Game is worth it's money and definitely a massive improvement compared to the 2010 & 2011 edition. As with every game in this series it's pretty obvious that it's not specifically aimed at the hardcore sim racing community and buying this game thinking it will be like rFactor2 with an official Formula 1 license will ultimately lead to a disappointing experience".

RaceDepartment noted that save games are still being corrupted from time to time and the game still has invisible walls.

Lot's of screens and videos here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/f1-2012-review-by-racedepartment.56010/

Where are these invisible walls? I've been playin F1 since 2010 and I have never found one of these...

Top Bottom