• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

amar212

Interesting difference among demo file-size:

US demo > 1383MB
UK demo > 1501MB

130MB of what difference?

I am downloading both currently, so will check both and compare them to X360 demo, especially regarding wheel-handling.

On similar note, there is WRC 3 demo just made available on UK PAL Store, find it via *Search* and try it out if you are interested.

DieH@rd

Banned
If the cars handled like the Formula A in pCARS I'd be all for them going for a more realistic model. Now there's a car that feels more authentic and is still fun to drive.

pCARS needs to get MP soon at this rate...

Best feature of pCARS - you can adjust your position in the cockpit view with WASD [you can move camera higher and really improve your vision]. Also you can change FOV with "[" and "]".

bee

it's as awful as the last 2 games physics wise, worse than pcars even

F2 rf2 mod on the other hand is sublime

Addnan

This is getting kinda annoying.

1Jy7d.png

Capping me at 1024x768, should be at 1440x900. Sometimes when I alt+tab in and out it will go to that res, but most of the the time not. Don't want to buy it if it keeps doing that, haven't even been able to properly try it on the PC.

Risgroo

This is getting kinda annoying.

1Jy7d.png

Capping me at 1024x768, should be at 1440x900. Sometimes when I alt+tab in and out it will go to that res, but most of the the time not. Don't want to buy it if it keeps doing that, haven't even been able to properly try it on the PC.

My resolution setting is just blank, so is the refresh rate setting. Hope this fixed in the final game, as I don't wanna play at some medieval res.

Staab

You can set the resolution in the hardware config file, not sure if that helps ?
<resolution width="1680" height="1050" aspect="normal" fullscreen="true"

(It's under My documents/My Games/FormulaOne2012/hardwaresettings/)

Wilbur

Banned
Had a go on easy with auto gear change, didn't touch anything else, don't really understand how to use KERS, DRS etc etc. Was okay but hard, couldn't finish anywhere higher than 12th. Is it worth getting F1 11 for a tenner rather than buying this?

Hellish

Anyone playing the demo on steam? There is no 120hz option, and on max settings at 5760x1080 I am only getting 45-50fps, gpu usage is 94/98%, memory usage has peaked at 2052mb

My setup

i7-3930k @ 4.3ghz
GTX 680 4GB FTW @ 1300mhz in SLI
Intel 520 SSD
16GB 1866mhz Vengeance Ram
3x BenQ XL2420T monitors

hopefully when it releases they will add 120hz support, and possibly better optimization otherwise I am going to have to turn some stuff down.

Dibbz

Had a go on easy with auto gear change, didn't touch anything else, don't really understand how to use KERS, DRS etc etc. Was okay but hard, couldn't finish anywhere higher than 12th. Is it worth getting F1 11 for a tenner rather than buying this?

You might as well get 2011 if it's your first F1 game. If you like it you can always buy 2012 later at a cheaper price and after the usual 2 patches come along that fix most of the bugs.

Dibbz

I played the demo on the PS3 and the G25 wheel feels totally different. A lot lighter in comparison to the default settings on PC. I didn't go into the options to check but I'd guess that the FFB is set to a lot less on PS3 than on PC. Maybe some of you guys want to turn that down on the PC if you find it really tough on PC.

Wilbur

Banned
You might as well get 2011 if it's your first F1 game. If you like it you can always buy 2012 later at a cheaper price and after the usual 2 patches come along that fix most of the bugs.

I did get 2010 and was good at that, but I did have all assists on. I did want to play this game, get used to the demo and learn everything technical but I'm confused already haha

I did get 2010 and was good at that, but I did have all assists on. I did want to play this game, get used to the demo and learn everything technical but I'm confused already haha

Play a couple of races with all assists off. I got forced to when I joined the Gaf League and it was really hard but after a couple of races it gets really satisfying.

Mad_Ban

So after putting some time in I'm maybe not as critical as I was before...

I mean it's definitely not sorted by any leap of the imagination (the braking is stupid as is the overt understeer (which should be fixed after launch)), but it's something I could definitely put time into for a league. It's really satisfying on this to get a 42 at Yas Marina after hating it for a few days. :p

Yeah they've pretty much added fuck all apart from a tutorial with a fancy name. Thanks Codemasters, but I already know how to accelerate and then brake.

Tried the PC demo earlier, wheel is packed away so used a pad instead. Had auto on but other than that the assists were off and it felt okay. I've played a bit of 2011 recently on the xbox and you can definetly tell the difference with the braking points, had to break at least 30-50 meters earlier in 2012, and the car had some terrible understeer which I had to adapt to. But once I got used to it I was able to have some fun races, although the penalties and the AI can be ridiculous at times.

NHale

Ok, now I'm convinced this game was made for controllers and wheels be damned. I spent 2 hours tweaking the wheel settings and it actually become a lot better (no instability on straights, more 1:1 movement) but then I decided to try to controller for 30 minutes and the game simply clicks.

With the controller I'm able to get consistent 1.46 lap times at Abu Dhabi while having a lot less understeer and actually having OVERSTEER on some corners. It's a complete different game and it actually feels great. With the wheel I used for 2 years, I continue to struggle to find a balance that gives me confidence about the car, with the controller it took 3 laps...

Braking is still a problem with the controller but the behaviour of the car is completely different. Fix this shit Guerrilla.

DD

I just managed to race with the breaks under normal pressure and the game is a blast (at least with the Xbox 360 controller). Day one for me, OMG!

shouts

Neo Member
I've been playing the PC Demo and only problem I have is the game being in windowed mode.

Does anyone know how I can access Training Day 2? I've completed all of the tasks during training day 1 but the entire training day 2 is greyed out.
Can PC players even access day 2?

Nabs

I've been playing the PC Demo and only problem I have is the game being in windowed mode.

Does anyone know how I can access Training Day 2? I've completed all of the tasks during training day 1 but the entire training day 2 is greyed out.
Can PC players even access day 2?

Press Alt+Enter to make it full screen.

Orgun

I just managed to race with the breaks under normal pressure and the game is a blast (at least with the Xbox 360 controller). Day one for me, OMG!

How do you change the brake pressure? The only tuning I could find was the piece of shit basic suggestions.

kiyomi

Only tried a few laps yesterday evening on the PS3, using the dualshock. Lowest downforce setting.

- don't like the feel when at super high speeds, feels like there is a slight disconnect between the left stick position and the way the car reacts to it. like it's way too sensitive. and there's no steering sensitivity option.

if i'm pulling 20º left it feels like the car is going 25 or 30º left. just weird. can't explain it.

- medium/high speed corners feel quite nice actually, blasting through Ascari is good fun until you realise you're doing it so quickly you're gaining several car lengths over the CPU every lap on that one corner.

- curbs don't feel TOO bouncy, you can still get a bit of purchase on them when you're entering a corner.

- i haven't got the hang of braking but it does feel like if you move the bias forwards during the session it improves it a bit. takes ages to lock up if you just mash the brakes. again, could be a bias thing, and i haven't got used to the general distances needed (didn't play 2011, mostly a GT5er).

- almost impossible to get the car to slide in a nice or fun way. when you do, the car just breaks on you and feels uncontrollable. i'm supposed to tap the brakes? ugh. ridiculous. there's no fun in pushing to the limit like that.

haven't come across any penalties or major bugs but then this is a VERY conservative demo, no pitting, no warmup lap, no damage etc. i'm a little worried and probably not really convinced enough to buy day 1, however it *is* nice having a proper F1 game with DRS/KERS etc. :p

Cuddler

Played the demo on ps3 yesterday, the game feels pretty good to me (I've not played f1 2010 or 2011). One thing that bothered me is that the graphic is not really good, the aliasing on ps3 is really high and it feels like the game resolution is really low. I completely agree with people that were saying that f1 championship edition has better graphic than this on ps3. This is even worse because WRC 3 looks really really good (I know one car versus 24 but still you see a big difference). Another things that I don't like is the penalty system because sometimes just because you slow down for a slow turn and someone behind you does an accident it becomes your fault, it doesn't make sense to me, especially if you are not really that slow and you don't see what is happening behind you. In the end I don't think I'm going to buy this day one, it doesn't seem worthy of the full price to me (especially the mainland Europe full price).

NHale

Someone posted on Codemasters forums an interesting experience to test controller vs. wheel (I didn't tested it myself)

Turned on every assist (including auto brake) and just pressed the accelerate button at Monza. This way the game controls the entering speed on corners so it's the same on both tests.

According to him, the experience shows that with the controller you can make the Parabolica easily and with no understeer but using the wheel he had massive understeer that caused him to go off track. Same car setup, entering speed, same turning point but completely different results.

People on their forums are defending the game saying the physics are more realistic and maybe they are, but this test shows that the game was optimized to give an advantage to controller users and that's why wheels don't work well "out of the box".

Cuddler

Someone posted on Codemasters forums an interesting experience to test controller vs. wheel (I didn't tested it myself)

Turned on every assist (including auto brake) and just pressed the accelerate button at Monza. This way the game controls the entering speed on corners so it's the same on both tests.

According to him, the experience shows that with the controller you can make the Parabolica easily and with no understeer but using the wheel he had massive understeer that caused him to go off track. Same car setup, entering speed, same turning point but completely different results.

People on their forums are defending the game saying the physics are more realistic and maybe they are, but this test shows that the game was optimized to give an advantage to controller users and that's why wheels don't work well "out of the box".

Well...95% of the players use the controller, only 5% use a wheel. That's probably the Codemasters answer!
I don't have a wheel unfortunately :(

Yep, tried the demo with my G25 with the default settings and already I was going off track because of the understeer. Was much easier with the pad, feels too twitchy with the wheel even just going down the straight. Will definetly have to change some settings to make the wheel more comfortable to use.

And why are the replays still shit? I hate the replay angles, unable to watch my race back because they're so terrible. Why didn't they just copy the angles from the FIA?, makes no sense. Another thing which bugs me is the decision not to use the official LG on screen displays. Would have been awesome and made it feel more like F1 on TV if you know what I mean.

amar212

... but this test shows that the game was optimized to give an advantage to controller users and that's why wheels don't work well "out of the box".

Only one console game is made with wheels on mind in the first place and develops wheel-steering in par with controller from input primarily made out of the 900-wheels output-data. Gran Turismo.

Polyphony Digital is the only development studio that does that. They started it more than a decade ago, during development of GT3 game, working closely with Logitech and Immersion Co. during their development of first generation of the TouchSense software for then upcoming "Formula GT" series of wheels (which will later evolve into Driving Force and G series of the Logitech models). Great documentary "Gran Turismo Attack DVD" showcases the way they are collecting steering data from actual cars (road, rally, wet surfaces) and then transfer them to steering inputs for the game. Also, they were the main *brain* responsible for advanced 1080-degree steering model uniquely developed for Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and H.E.A.R.T. API. Not many people know how it was them who collected all data and co-developed the both API and SDK for T500RS with Thrustmaster.

All other games on both console platforms are basically "optimising" and "emulating" their wheel support through various SDK/API libraries from steering inputs developed for controllers. That is the one and only reason whey there is no single console driving/racing game besides GT where you can actually be competitive with the wheel to controller players.

However, I have to highlight how Codemasters did a fairly good job with the EGO engine regarding wheel support. Initial setup is made with 270-degree wheels in the mind, but you can adjust it to 900-deg wheels with simple adjustment of Sensitivity/Linearity values.

It would be perfect world if all developers would head Polyphony Digital way and develop their physics/handling/wheel-API models from input gathered from actual vehicles and than implemented on virtual steering model and than adjusted to controller support, but that is really asking for impossible.

And why are the replays still shit? I hate the replay angles, unable to watch my race back because they're so terrible. Why didn't they just copy the angles from the FIA?, makes no sense. Another thing which bugs me is the decision not to use the official LG on screen displays. Would have been awesome and made it feel more like F1 on TV if you know what I mean.

Codemasters are shit that's why, every racing game should have 2-3 sets of proper trackside camera angles per circuit with zero floaty bs nonsense, that shit drives me up the wall. Fuck off Codemasters.

Top Bottom