• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It started in Fable 2 but really the Fable series has totally given up on the good or evil choice, this game just makes no sense unless you play good.

Its a shame really, I guess that kind of breadth just isn't viable when you need to deliver a 20 hour experience every 2 years.

Prine

Banned
StarEye said:
I like having a Dog though. A few quests requires you to search an era and dig up an item. If I didn't have the dog, the spot I had to dig would be a preset mound or something like in WoW that only activates once the quest is accepted.

It's also nice to hear the dog bark when there's treasure nearby. And he warns you when there are enemies nearby - sometimes before I can see them.

So I wouldn't call the dog useless. Could use a little tweaking though. But he's very useful. And it's nice with a bit of company as well.

The bottomline for me, about the series was that Fable 1 was overly ambitious (or hyped, your choice). It didn't deliver on the promises, but it did deliver a very competent experience for my part. I didn't care about broken promises, I cared about what we DID get.

Fable 2 was expected to deliver on the parts where Fable 1 failed. Plus something about feeling loved, emotional stuff and all that. Fable 2 was ambitious, because it was the first on the X360, touted as a flagship title and everyone had very high expectations of it. It was a great game in my opinion, despite the shortcomings.

Fable 3 is more of the same. While I'm perfectly fine with Lionhead just wanting to create a fun game, Fable 3 doesn't feel like an ambitious title. Well, apart from the weapon morphing though. I love the game, equally as much as the other games in the series I'd say, but now it just doesn't seem like this is an ambitious title anymore. I know what to expect from Fable now, and I'm happy with that. They should of course strive to improve on the formula, maybe cut down on the streamlining aspect of the game (because every developer seems to think streamlining=dumbing down), and concentrate on making a fun game.

The dog points out the obvious with treasure, and given the treasure you find is in ample supply in town, im not sure if the term 'treasure' can be used.

If my dog picked up the scent of a character im looking for (breadcrumb only shows direction) or attacked people/fetch items i point to, it would certainly be a worthwhile addition.

I forgave the lack of interaction with the dog in fable 2 as it was a neat concept that showed promise. 2 years on and it hasn't progressed one bit imo.

Disappointing.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
CecilRousso said:
That it´s completely broken as soon as you try to do anything but the quests?

No, that it's a fun game, despite it's shortcomings, and that it's not nearly as ambitious or grand as many other rpgs. I don't come into Fable expecting a deep, hardcore rpg, but a fun, casual action/adventure game with rpg elements.

StarEye said:
No, that it's a fun game, despite it's shortcomings, and that it's not nearly as ambitious or grand as many other rpgs. I don't come into Fable expecting a deep, hardcore rpg, but a fun, casual action/adventure game with rpg elements.

If they have other ambitions than the rest of the developers of RPG´s fine, but there are so many features in this game that either just don´t work, och bring down other features.

If you can influence other NPC`s in the game - then make that feature work in a proper way.

If you include a dog - make it usable.

If you construct quests that´s about you gather the trust of people - make that quest work in a proper way.

If you try to make a convincing story about a revolution - make other expressions than farts, tickling and pat-a-cake.

If you do a game that includes mature relations and mature content - make expressions that are in line of that.

If you include an economic system - balance it so it doesn´t nullify the decisions you have to make in the latter part of the game.

If you get controls to vault of over objects - make it work on all objects of similiar types.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Ok never thought I would post something like this but I need help getting laid. My old wife is bugged, see her on map but all my adopted kids and her are no where to be found in town. Got a new wife and moved her into the castle, she gives me the speech about being reday and eating a bucket of oysters but when I bring her to bed nothing. Must be bugged, been trying for hours. Help!

CecilRousso said:
If you do a game that includes mature relations and mature content - make expressions that are in line of that.

It's a comedy game just like Fable 2, I don't see what mature content is in this game(unless you are one of the people that think that sex= mature), but then again I haven't got too far(just about to go find a ship)

Cerebral Assassin said:
It's a comedy game just like Fable 2, I don't see what mature content is in this game(unless you are one of the people that think that sex= mature), but then again I haven't got too far(just about to go find a ship)

The inclusion of marriage, relationships, sex and STD´s are of course mature content that very much conflict with a revolution leader who goes around and farts in villagers face, and dance around with guards. And what about the topic of a revolution leader who´s being asked to revolt against slavery, tyrany and abuse of power? Isn´t that mature content either?

If not, then please explain to me what mature content in a game is. Gore?

CecilRousso said:
The inclusion of marriage, relationships, sex and STD´s are of course mature content that very much conflict with a revolution leader who goes around and farts in villagers face, and dance around with guards. And what about the topic of a revolution leader who´s being asked to revolt against slavery, tyrany and abuse of power? Isn´t that mature content either?

If not, then please explain to me what mature content in a game is. Gore?

I don't think many games have any mature content, & again the tone of Fable is comedy, next you'll be telling me the Carry On films are meant to be mature.

Cerebral Assassin said:
I don't think many games have any mature content, & again the tone of Fable is comedy, next you'll be telling me the Carry On films are meant to be mature.

The end product is a very immature comedy yes, that conflicts with the premise and the story of this game.

CecilRousso said:
The end product is a very immature comedy yes, that conflicts with the premise and the story of this game.

I disagree, the whole world is tongue in cheek as it was in Fable 2, to expect a serious look at revolution & marriage from this game would be foolish. Also plenty of comedies deal with the "issues" you believe are mature so I fail to see why it conflicts with the premise of the game.

Jinaar

Why is it every time I go off on a date to a secluded area with some stranger I am trying to seduce behind my multiple husband backs, my children always show up to watch. They stand there, gawking, mouths wide, eyes watery, wondering why mommy is with all these strange men and women. I am the town sloot.

Kingpen

Can someone make a good case for me not to take Fable 3 back to the store (still in plastic, bought it for 40 bucks new).

I love Fable 2.... I love the dog, I love the world and setting. And I like the combat of the game. Interacting with the villagers is fun (but isn't something I solely do in this game). I love the gambling (of which I hear is very limited in the 3rd game). I love the variety of weapons, of which I am hearing is more limited in Fable 3.

I bought Fable 3 off of the name alone, not knowing anything else about the game. Hearing of all these bugs and the game being unpolished is really turning me off.

I'm torn because I see people rating Fable 3 as much better then Fable 2 (of which I thought was the best in the series), yet I'm just not being grabbed by wanting to play the 3rd game with the issues being brought up. Fable is sort of like my 'Zelda' type of game for me (even though I know they are pretty different).

I am not going to be buying another game until one of the following games gets released in the future (Batman AA 2, Gears of War 3, Mortal Kombat 9)

I really am getting the thought to take back Fable and just use the money toward Assassin's Creed Brotherhood which is a title I really really want (but wonder if it will drop in price crazy fast like AC2 did)...

Anyways, can someone that has played through the game go through the compelling reasons to look forward to Fable 3?

FrankT

Jinaar said:
Why is it every time I go off on a date to a secluded area with some stranger I am trying to seduce behind my multiple husband backs, my children always show up to watch. They stand there, gawking, mouths wide, eyes watery, wondering why mommy is with all these strange men and women. I am the town sloot.

:lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kingpen said:
Can someone make a good case for me not to take Fable 3 back to the store (still in plastic, bought it for 40 bucks new).

Honestly, there is no good case. Take it back and go rent it if you want to play it. Don't buy this game.

Cerebral Assassin said:
I disagree, the whole world is tongue in cheek as it was in Fable 2, to expect a serious look at revolution & marriage from this game would be foolish. Also plenty of comedies deal with the "issues" you believe are mature so I fail to see why it conflicts with the premise of the game.
Today 08:52 AM

See, this is Fable's greatest failing IMO. It fails to balance it's comedy with its grandiose storyline that often deals with life and death.

Your brother is killing the kingdom. He forces you to become a murderer with him to start the game. You walk through the world where you hear comments from citizens that they haven't eaten and often pass out out on the street. You bring hope to the land by...playing patty-cake with them. It becomes even more nonsensical if you're evil and you're mean to them.
Then you are presented with an evil that is pure and terrible. It will destroy the kingdom...if you can just stop farting on people long enough to save them. How do you save them? Well, either you became the biggest land owner in Albion or you break promises to the people who helped you or turn buildings into whorehouses. Then the darkness comes and can possibly kill every single living person in your kingdom. Who will your highness fart on now!?!

This is why you see so many comments about how Fable, as a series, just can't find its identity. It attempts to balance Monty Python-like comedy with deadly serious situations. At times, it works. However, it never works when you come back around to the main storyline. It expects you, as a player, to be able to flip a switch in your mind to go between serious and light-hearted. Problem is, Fable's writing and design just is not good.

*Edited in spoiler tags even though it was spoiled way before this and people are way too sensitive over a comedic game. Ironic?

Kintaro said:
Honestly, there is no good case. Take it back and go rent it if you want to play it. Don't buy this game.

See, this is Fable's greatest failing IMO. It fails to balance it's comedy with its grandiose storyline that often deals with life and death.

Your brother is killing the kingdom. He forces you to become a murderer with him to start the game. You walk through the world where you hear comments from citizens that they haven't eaten and often pass out out on the street. You bring hope to the land by...playing patty-cake with them. It becomes even more nonsensical if you're evil and you're mean to them. Then you are presented with an evil that is pure and terrible. It will destroy the kingdom...if you can just stop farting on people long enough to save them. How do you save them?
Well, either you became the biggest land owner in Albison or you break promises to the people who helped you or turn buildings into whorehouses. Then the darkness comes and can possibly kill every single living person in your kingdom. Who will your highness fart on now!?!

This is why you see so many comments about how Fable, as a series, just can't find its identity. It attempts to balance Monty Python-like comedy with deadly serious situations. At times, it works. However, it never works when you come back around to the main storyline. It expects you, as a player, to be able to flip a switch in your mind to go between serious and light-hearted. Problem is, Fable's writing and design just is not good

Thanks for the fucking spoilers, most appreciated. As for your complaints, I disagree,from Jasper to Walter to your brother all the characters you meet at the beginning(or middle) are stereotypes, if you were expecting something profound out of that then I can't really help you. If you add that to the fact that you don't have to do any of these expressions if you don't want, I don't see the problem(its the same in Fable 2). Also it has an identity, it is a very British game, it is extremely tongue in cheek much like a pantomine/fairy tale(many of which deal with revolutions, death, exploitation etc.)

Think I just f'd up. All of a sudden it's day 121. I noticed it on my last job of the day. Came much quicker than I thought. Doh!!! I just turned off my xbox.:lol If I finish up this day can I no longer achievement whore? I mean is it OVER OVER?

Kintaro

Cerebral Assassin said:
Thanks for the fucking spoilers, most appreciated. As for your complaints, I disagree,from Jasper to Walter to your brother all the characters you meet at the beginning(or middle) are stereotypes, if you were expecting something profound out of that then I can't really help you. If you add that to the fact that you don't have to do any of these expressions if you don't want, I don't see the problem(its the same in Fable 2). Also it has an identity, it is a very British game, it is extremely tongue in cheek much like a pantomine/fairy tale(many of which deal with revolutions, death, exploitation etc.)

Who said anything about "profound?" You keep using that word. Yes, they are sterotypes. Stereotypes who wish to start a revolution against a King who, within ten minutes of starting the game, forces you to kill your lover or citizens...with no context given to the situation (savvy gamers will figure out why within two minutes of doing it and will be rewarded with exactly what they thought later on).

Yes, it is a "British" game, but that doesn't make what it attempts to do high quality. It fact, it's rather poor.

Then again, if you haven't finished the game (which it seems you haven't), you aren't really qualified to talk about this. We'll return to it when you're done.

I think Fable has run its course. Lionhead had three cracks at it and have not gotten it right yet. I don't believe they can. They should move on and leave Fable behind.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Finally beat it...

This game isn't that good. It has the foundation for something great, but instead of a skyscraper you get a modular home.

I'll play for a while longer, but I'm upset with myself for paying full price. I'll trade it in/sell it before the end of the week. Game isn't even challenging...

Kintaro said:
Who said anything about "profound?" You keep using that word. Yes, they are sterotypes. Stereotypes who wish to start a revolution against a King who, within ten minutes of starting the game, forces you to kill your lover or citizens...with no context given to the situation (savvy gamers will figure out why within two minutes of doing it and will be rewarded with exactly what they thought later on).

How can you say no context is given, unless you are particularly dim it is obvious from your 1st meeting with the King that he is borderline mad & is mistreating the people of Albion,how much context do you need?

Yes, it is a "British" game, but that doesn't make what it attempts to do high quality. It fact, it's rather poor
The VA in this game is hardly poor.
Then again, if you haven't finished the game (which it seems you haven't), you aren't really qualified to talk about this. We'll return to it when you're done.

Cool, while I'm doing that you can look up irony in the dictionary.

REV 09

Kingpen said:
Anyways, can someone that has played through the game go through the compelling reasons to look forward to Fable 3?
The story is better and more coherent. All of the little side activities and gameplay mechanics are worse though...expressions took a big hit. If you like Fable for the goofy stuff, then you won't like this one. If you want a pretty good adventure with a somewhat more coherent story than 2, then 3 is probably better.

I just got to the final 3rd of the game where the gameplay changes, and unlike most here, i actually like this part more than the standard Fable stuff. The decisions that i'm having to make are very grey, but i'm not far enough to see what the final outcomes of those decisions are.

DY_nasty

REV 09 said:
The story is better and more coherent. All of the little side activities and gameplay mechanics are worse though...expressions took a big hit. If you like Fable for the goofy stuff, then you won't like this one. If you want a pretty good adventure with a somewhat more coherent story than 2, then 3 is probably better.

I just got to the final 3rd of the game where the gameplay changes, and unlike most here, i actually like this part more than the standard Fable stuff. The decisions that i'm having to make are very grey, but i'm not far enough to see what the final outcomes of those decisions are.
There's only one gray decision.

The rest are 'be good, lose money' or 'be evil, for a good reason, and rack up the cash'.

dream

Has anyone from Lionhead explained the day
121 immediately leading into day 1 of the invasion
thing?

Kintaro

Cerebral Assassin said:
How can you say no context is given, unless you are particularly dim it is obvious from your 1st meeting with the King that he is borderline mad & is mistreating the people of Albion,how much context do you need?

Really? No, it's not obvious. It's actually "obvious" that it is the opposite but it has you make this decision anyway. Read through the thread and you will see that I'm not alone in this thought. You then realize that this decision is rather stupid because all it affects is one NPC (who, in the very short time that you're gone has moved on with her life...).

The VA in this game is hardly poor.

Strange, I didn't mention the VA. My problem is with the writing and its poor balancing act of comedy and "THIS IS YOUR DESTINY". Not to mention the myriad of poor design decisions.

Cool, while I'm doing that you can look up irony in the dictionary.

One definition of irony is "an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. " I didn't expect someone to be so sensitive to spoilers about a game that you believe to be so tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. Thus, you getting upset was ironic. Especially since the game is so stupid that it doesn't care if you're an angel or the devil. That is, unless you're Scrooge McDuck at the end.

Maybe that's the ultimate conclusion one can draw from Fable 3. Lionhead's message: It really doesn't matter what you do in life, as long as you have enough money to cover your ass.

Azure Phoenix said:
That's the odd thing though, I've seen a fair few people commenting that their...

It'll probably be a few more weeks until all the conflicting comments balance out and we find out exactly what modifies your appearance.
Its not really odd at all that people say something without confirming if its true or trying to check for them selves thus insisting on spreading incorrect information. I already listed the things that modify the characters appearance everything other than that is baseless speculation that has yet to be proven true. And as others have previously stated, the changes in bulk/height of the character are minor and subtle so everyone should feel free to use what they want.

Kintaro said:
Really? No, it's not obvious. It's actually "obvious" that it is the opposite but it has you make this decision anyway. Read through the thread and you will see that I'm not alone in this thought. You then realize that this decision is rather stupid because all it affects is one NPC (who, in the very short time that you're gone has moved on with her life...).

Awesome more spoilers
I thought this might happen, but thanks for that

Strange, I didn't mention the VA. My problem is with the writing and its poor balancing act of comedy and "THIS IS YOUR DESTINY". Not to mention the myriad of poor design decisions.

I don't think it has issues balancing the comedy & "serious", it happens in films, books, comics etc., at the end of the day this is a game that breaks the 4th wall, how serious do you expect it to be?
One definition of irony is "an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. " I didn't expect someone to be so sensitive to spoilers about a game that you believe to be so tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. Thus, you getting upset was ironic. Especially since the game is so stupid that it doesn't care if you're an angel or the devil. That is, unless you're Scrooge McDuck at the end.

Maybe that's the ultimate conclusion one can draw from Fable 3. Lionhead's message: It really doesn't matter what you do in life, as long as you have enough money to cover your ass.

The tone is tongue in cheek, it doesn't mean I don't care about the journey until I get there(again story in Fable 2 was generic, but Zoe Wannamaker was entertaining as Theresa which kept my interest until the end)

Kintaro

Cerebral Assassin said:
I don't think it has issues balancing the comedy & "serious", it happens in films, books, comics etc., at the end of the day this is a game that breaks the 4th wall, how serious do you expect it to be?

Wait, have you actually played this yet? I'm serious since my previous spoiler was so minor and involves a generic quest a tiny bit later in the game. A quest separate from the main story.

As for the game? You just pointed out the problem. How serious does the game want us to take it? The player is never really sure of this at all. The tone changes all the time when the main story gets involved. It's bipolar.

The tone is tongue in cheek, it doesn't mean I don't care about the journey until I get there(again story in Fable 2 was generic, but Zoe Wannamaker was entertaining as Theresa which kept my interest until the end)

That she was.

REV 09

DY_nasty said:
There's only one gray decision.

The rest are 'be good, lose money' or 'be evil, for a good reason, and rack up the cash'.
The money seems to be tied to a certain outcome though, which makes every decision...gray. I haven't played to completion though so i may be wrong.

FrankT

With all the issues I've had with this game from a technical standpoint and a good few with the game itself I already want a healthy portion of DLC. Make it great LH. But first I want a serious patch for these bugs, ect.

DY_nasty

REV 09 said:
The money seems to be tied to a certain outcome though, which makes every decision...gray. I haven't played to completion though so i may be wrong.
With all the money you rake in from real estate, it really doesn't matter...

Ghost said:
It started in Fable 2 but really the Fable series has totally given up on the good or evil choice, this game just makes no sense unless you play good.

Its a shame really, I guess that kind of breadth just isn't viable when you need to deliver a 20 hour experience every 2 years.

Really? I thought Fable 3 was one of the few games that made a decent attempt of making the evil option a viable one
I generally found that Fry's proposals made more sense than the good options when you were king given the circumstances (it's a fucking shame that it's so easy to rake in money because that ruins it), Logan had a reason for his tyranny, even Theresa came off as evil given she manipulated Logan into doing what he did in order to create a king capable of saving the land.
Maybe I'm forgetting, but what made the choices in Fable 1 so much better?

Kintaro said:
Wait, have you actually played this yet? I'm serious since my previous spoiler was so minor and involves a generic quest a tiny bit later in the game. A quest separate from the main story.
I think we are talking about 2 different NPC's(I thought you were referring to the main storyline).

Spirit of Jazz said:
Really? I thought Fable 3 was one of the few games that made a decent attempt of making the evil option a viable one, but what made the choices in Fable 1 so much better?
Nothing. Fable 2 did choice with the greatest consequence by penalizing the player directly, with things like loosing XP or making the character old and ugly. Although that was also kind of pointless because XP was incredibly easy to get and you could always make your character look normal again.

DY_nasty

Spirit of Jazz said:
Maybe I'm forgetting, but what made the choices in Fable 1 so much better?
You could be a legit evil bastard, not some lukewarm Shepard wannabe

FrankT

DY_nasty said:
With all the money you rake in from real estate, it really doesn't matter...

Which brings up a good point for the DLC. All told with the money I put in the treasury(well over 11 million), the money I have spent and the money I have on me now (16 million) I want some property I can truly burn some money on come the DLC.

DY_nasty

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I guess cannibalism is kind of generic and boring.
its not so much boring as it is just stupid

at least in fable 1 when you killed countless villagers, you were a legit villain. in fable 3 you're just doing it for the good of the people.

DY_nasty

Lostconfused said:
Really? I think it was rather forgettable, since I forgot all about it.
Fable 1 is still the best in the series.

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3>>2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DY_nasty said:
Fable 1 is still the best in the series.

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3>>2
I haven't played the rest of the series, but man, they must be terrible if Fable 1 is considered the best. Fable 1 consisted of a series of extremely tiny corridors painted to look like forests with lengthy, ugly load screens around every corner. It was limited as hell and left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Jinaar

I sort of felt that I did a good thing
killing the hippie during the "Peace, Love and Homicide" quest
. It just felt more of a good deed then a bad deed. I did the world a service!

Tadale

I think I've found a pretty nasty bug. I'm at the point where you have to buy a beard and tattoo for a mercenary disguise, and after buying both neither will show up in the dressing room. Also, Jasper will not talk to me in any room.

Prine

Banned
Kintaro, Fable 3 is a good game its just that theres tremendous potential that it misses on. Fable 3 lets itself down, but its hardly the trainwreck your trying to make others believe.

Its an 8 imo - still a game worth playing if you like the series or like Zelda style games. The share scale of the game is something to be admired, there is no part that looks the same, every area is varied with bustling activity and atmosphere. There is nothing like it.

DY_nasty said:
its not so much boring as it is just stupid

at least in fable 1 when you killed countless villagers, you were a legit villain. in fable 3 you're just doing it for the good of the people.

What does that even mean?You can kill villagers just as "legit" in Fable 3 if you want to be the generic RPG I kill everyone bad guy. I can't see how you can say Fable 3's worst when it's one of the few games which could potentially force the player to commit evil deads in order to save their people, but why attempt to actually give "evil" characters actual motivation when you can just have them running around killing folks like a loon or give them a God complex along with 99% of the other games out there.

I can't help but think everybody who thinks Fable 1 was the best in the franchise uses the same logic because it suffers from an even worst story, equally as bad combat, less characters on screen, inferior level/world design, fewer things to do... the list goes on.

Fable 3 has huge issues, the combat being the main one and yet people insist on whining about interesting design like the fact there's consequence to being a terrible king. The combat's atrocious given the ethos of the system. Peter's concept for 1 button combat when he presented it at GDC was interesting because it offered something unique. However in the 2 years it's not been improved on in the slightest, in fact the context sensitive actions which the concept revolved around are nowhere to be seen, I swear in Fable 2 it at least had animation for blows against walls. Along with the technical hitches I just find that shit appalling.

Yet nobody seems to give a shit, all combat related complaints are "It's too easy" well no shit, every Fable game has a difficulty curve that a 4 year old could master in 5 minutes. The issue is that the engine's not been developed into something interesting and fun like it was supposed to.

Top Bottom