• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
jkanownik said:
Last night I realized a side quest switched my weapon on me without telling me, so had I wasted a ton of time making friends with people thinking it was improving my Casanova sword. I would have checked it more often if it wasn't such a pain in the ass. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

The world was engrossing enough that I was ignoring the boatload of little issues with the game. It's amazing how critical you can get with this game once you look past the charm. I am now completely apathetic about the game and will try to chug through the rest of it.
The 'complete 30 quests' things are a fucking chore later in the game... 30 fetch quests... woooo

Dead

well not really...yet
PhatSaqs said:
Quick question just popping into the thread. Compared to two, how is 3?
3 is better. Better quests, better story, better humour, better side quests, more content, etc.

derFeef

Allright, wanted to do some coop.
"You can´t join this game because you don't have the DLC... blahblah"
We both have the limited edition + downloaded the content.

derFeef said:
Allright, wanted to do some coop.
"You can´t join this game because you don't have the DLC... blahblah"
We both have the limited edition + downloaded the content.
Did either of you happen to buy any of the DLC that was accidentally put up on the marketplace on the day of launch and then quickly pulled again (such as the new Understone area)? If so, it could be related to that.

derFeef

Azure Phoenix said:
Did either of you happen to buy any of the DLC that was accidentally put up on the marketplace on the day of launch and then quickly pulled again (such as the new Understone area)? If so, it could be related to that.
No, we both got the game yesterday. And if, I might have the free weapons pack which my friend has not downloaded yet, so I do not think it is a problem.

edit: Where can I see my addons in F3? maybe they did not work for me (can´t download again in marketplace)

Prine

Banned
PhatSaqs said:

I love 2 and think 3 is better. Story, world and quests are orders of magnitude better. Gameplay is unchanged with questionable additions, dont expect a massive jump here. Emoting and interating has taken a step baack though.

Combat is such a let down though, its like it was made for toddlers. Close your eyes and strike and you'll come out on top. So easy.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I just got 15000 Gold from Lionhead, not sure why and its not like I need it hehe, I really wish the Boxer dog was not exclusive to the collectors edtion :(

PhatSaqs said:
If you liked Fable 2 for the story then Fable 3 is a far, far better game.

If you liked Fable 2 for random acts of nonsense, finding your own fun, and more choice in weaponry and customization and playstyle, Fable 2 still holds the crown for me.

PhatSaqs said:
I was really unhappy with 2. Enjoying 3 a lot more, if possible I would prefer to forget that 2 ever existed and just replace it with 3 completely.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's pretty close between the two. It's been awhile since I've played all the way through II so it's hard to say for sure, but it seems that III takes a step back for every step forward. I expected it to be the best Fable yet, and I'm not sure of that, but it still is a good game.

it's worth playing but if you're not a big fan of the series or dying to play this, I say wait until it's cheaper, there are some other games released recently that I'd feel more comfortable recommending at full price

I'm glad that it has grown on me, though. The last several hours have been quite pleasant once I got over all the questionable changes.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
There has got to be a better way of transferring millions of gold between my personal bank and the kingdom treasury besides holding the stick with a rubber band, someone tell me there is...

ManBearPanda said:
There has got to be a better way of transferring millions of gold between my personal bank and the kingdom treasury besides holding the stick with a rubber band, someone tell me there is...

It can't be that bad, I think it takes like 10 seconds to transfer a million gold.

How much are you trying to transfer anyway? :lol

fernoca

Nope, there's no other way. :p
  • 1 million top when tranfering from/to the castle
  • 100k top when gifting to a friend/random player
And in both cases, just by by holding the stick to one side or the other. So if you plan to tranfer 934,657; it's a pain in the ass. :lol

Pre

As someone who loved the first game but despised the second, I'm really wondering whether or not three is worth half a shit.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
Thanks for the replies everyone.

sweetvar26 said:
How much are you trying to transfer anyway? :lol

Well I was going to transfer 8 mil, but I think it'll just be a million today, so I might have time to actually play the game. I think I broke the economy early on by buying up all the good real estate

EDIT: Welp, so I plug in my wired controller, and the gold starts transferring within seconds. Heh, probably just the shitty sticks on my wireless controller.

Pre said:
As someone who loved the first game but despised the second, I'm really wondering whether or not three is worth half a shit.
That depends entirely on what you disliked in 2. Because its is pretty much the same game, but there are changes here and there that do make it better.

ultron87

Mr. Sam said:
And even easier to use that money to buy every piece of property in Albion and then sit back, relax and watch the money roll in.

Well naturally. I think I enjoy buying up every piece of property more than the actual gameplay. :lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finally got all the keys, all gnomes, all books and all flowers. Got sick of fixing homes so I just evicted everyone. Still getting 50k a round just from stores. Have 10mil in the castle and another 6 on my guy. Next is to power up new weapons, want to use the dragon stomper but it wants me to kill nobles. Wonder if there is a way to do that and still stay good, like killing the ones in the dark sanctum place.

ManBearPanda said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Well I was going to transfer 8 mil, but I think it'll just be a million today, so I might have time to actually play the game. I think I broke the economy early on by buying up all the good real estate

EDIT: Welp, so I plug in my wired controller, and the gold starts transferring within seconds. Heh, probably just the shitty sticks on my wireless controller.

Yeah there must be something wrong with your controller, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to transfer 10 million gold from personal to the treasury.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Two questions for you all,

1. How do you get to the house in the far north of the mini map?

2. TO get a few of the
gnomes it says to go to Aurora, can you get back there if you are past that part in the story?

Also, any quick way to make money? I made it to the latter part in the game with only 15k, I am doing the lute and buying property but it is taking a bit.

Warnen

Deadly Cyclone said:
Two questions for you all,

1. How do you get to the house in the far north of the mini map?

2. TO get a few of the
gnomes it says to go to Aurora, can you get back there if you are past that part in the story?

Also, any quick way to make money? I made it to the latter part in the game with only 15k, I am doing the lute and buying property but it is taking a bit.

1) what area?

2) Don't think u can go back till you beat the main quest.

Buy shops money rolls in. As soon as you can afford another buy it. You can do the same with homes and rent but then u have to up keep them. Its a bit of a pain. Just leave your xbox on for a few hours in a city and the money will pour it. Best to start this early in game so you don't need to waste time for the gold to pour in.

Warnen said:
1) what area?

Buy shops money rolls in. As soon as you can afford another buy it. You can do the same with homes and rent but then u have to up keep them. Its a bit of a pain. Just leave your xbox on for a few hours in a city and the money will pour it. Best to start this early in game so you don't need to waste time for the gold to pour in.

Anyone else find it a bit strange that the houses need repairs but the shops don't?

First thing I do in a new area is by as many shops as I can then I start on the houses.

DY_nasty

Warnen said:
1) what area?

You can go back to Aurora before you beat the main quest.

Once you're king, you can bail on the court and do whatever the hell you want... only do whats on the list to progress the story.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Warnen said:
1) what area?

The place north of Millfields, there is a house there and it is an icon on your table map.

DY_nasty said:
You can go back to Aurora before you beat the main quest.

Once you're king, you can bail on the court and do whatever the hell you want... only do whats on the list to progress the story.

It won't let me select any of the 3 places in Aurora though. I am just past the court part.

Tubobutts

I am just before the part where you go to Aurora and not only did Jasper stop talking, but I can no longer interact with any npc.

Warnen

Deadly Cyclone said:
The place north of Millfields, there is a house there and it is an icon on your table map.

Ah sunset house or something. Go during the day and look at the statues in the Gazebo, go back at night and make the glowing ones match. When you do it right house will open.

Deadly Cyclone said:
It won't let me select any of the 3 places in Aurora though. I am just past the court part.

Yeah don't think most of it open till after the main quest, you get new quest that makes you buy keys and stuff to open the areas.

Warnen

DualShadow said:
Anyone else find it a bit strange that the houses need repairs but the shops don't?

First thing I do in a new area is by as many shops as I can then I start on the houses.

Just wish there was a repair all button, its so boring clicking each house and hitting repair over and over. At this point I've just moved into all the homes so I didn't have to keep fixing them.

Warnen said:
Just wish there was a repair all button, its so boring clicking each house and hitting repair over and over. At this point I've just moved into all the homes so I didn't have to keep fixing them.

Yeah very true, it wouldn't be that hard to patch it in either I guess.

Maybe end game I'll use that method and just move into all the houses :lol

Earl Cazone said:
is this still coming to pc?
If you are optimistic probably. Microsoft is still trying to push games for windows and this would be one of the very few games they have. If you are into pessimism, then considering microsoft's track record when it comes pc gaming odds are they will screwed this up as well and the entire thing will be a dismal failure and we will never see fable on PC ever again.

DY_nasty

Deadly Cyclone said:
Court spoiler:
Did you rule on Aurora's fate yet? That may have something to do with it.

I was chilling down there before I beat the game... bought up all the property. Its a fortune to be made there with the vendors and pawnshop having sales at the same time.

Forcing the player to repair each house individually is fucking dumb.

Quick question and it's probably been answered already, but why is my kid black if my wife and I are white? Is she fucking the black jewelry shop owner or is the color of your kids skin random? This is a life or death question.

Warnen

SimpleDesign said:

Quick question and it's probably been answered already, but why is my kid black if my wife and I are white? Is she fucking the black jewelry shop owner or is the color of your kids skin random? This is a life or death question.

Same problem was in part 2, must just be random.

SimpleDesign said:

It happens sometimes in real life, believe it or not, but in this game it's probably just a glitch.

I'm know this has been asked to death but what part of the game is the "point of no return"? As far as getting the side mission and collecting stuff done, before the internal game clock starts?

I just finished
the aurora part with Walter getting ill from the attack from The Crawler

Square Triangle said:
I'm know this has been asked to death but what part of the game is the "point of no return"? As far as getting the side mission and collecting stuff done, before the internal game clock starts?

I just finished
the aurora part with Walter getting ill from the attack from The Crawler
Shortly after the part you're on the last act of the game takes place. In the final act time only passes when you do quests for that act's main story, you can still do side quests between them.
Day 121
is the last day of that act before game "ends". I probably spent as much real-world time in the final act as I did before that point, since I skipped most side quests until then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suffered a game breaking bug - if you join a game and find yourself with an extra 200+ guild seals, quit your game before it can save. Otherwise, you will not earn seals from combat or villager expressions. No big deal if you don't care about unlocking all the chests, but you're fucked if that becomes a big deal for you.

If core gameplay issues like movement are your concern, 3 is better than 2. It's actually the first Fable that feels like the controls aren't fighting against you. I still wish the controls would be a tad more responsive and not as stiff. But as I said, control wise, this game shits on Fable 2.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Aquavelvaman said:
Shortly after the part you're on the last act of the game takes place. In the final act time only passes when you do quests for that act's main story, you can still do side quests between them.
Day 121
is the last day of that act before game "ends". I probably spent as much real-world time in the final act as I did before that point, since I skipped most side quests until then.
I thought you could do collectables and sidequests after the end of the game?

Warnen said:
Finally got all the keys, all gnomes, all books and all flowers. Got sick of fixing homes so I just evicted everyone. Still getting 50k a round just from stores. Have 10mil in the castle and another 6 on my guy. Next is to power up new weapons, want to use the dragon stomper but it wants me to kill nobles. Wonder if there is a way to do that and still stay good, like killing the ones in the dark sanctum place.

Doesn´t all that money make the rewards from every chest and every dig spot pretty useless?

harrytang

quick question. am i required to purchase the upgrades for the weapons and shops to get the level five upgrades or can i just skip ahead and buy the level five upgrades? I have barely played but im already presented with level five jobs. any reason to purchase level 2,3 and 4 first? same goes for weapons.

also i had a friend in co-op last night but we couldnt figure out how to trade weapons. whats the deal?

Warnen

CecilRousso said:
Doesn´t all that money make the rewards from every chest and every dig spot pretty useless?

Yeah, only weapons mean anything. Guess the game is set up for different play styles, just seems going into land lord mode breaks the need for money. I can't possible spend all I have.

Maybe that why fixing rented places is so boring, keeps people from doing it.

harrytang said:
quick question. am i required to purchase the upgrades for the weapons and shops to get the level five upgrades or can i just skip ahead and buy the level five upgrades? I have barely played but im already presented with level five jobs. any reason to purchase level 2,3 and 4 first? same goes for weapons.

I'm pretty sure if you open a level 5 chest for a job or for weapons it makes levels 1-4 obsolete. No need to open up the rest of them unless you're going for the achievement.

JayDubya

Banned
Finally became king last night. Haven't done the first order of business yet: the trial.

Strength, Stature, Magical Aptitude maxed, all chests so far opened, several legendary weapons maxed, something like 20.5 million gold. :lol I'm just running around trying to get all the keys and gnomes without a FAQ... this is something I'd expect many, or most people to do anyway, but it makes the game stupid, stupid easy.

They really need to ramp up the difficulty or remove the sex so this can be the baby's first RPG the difficulty level would indicate. Granted, swarms of hollow men or balverines can knock down health fairly quickly but potions are far too cheap and have no cooldown.

harrytang said:

also i had a friend in co-op last night but we couldnt figure out how to trade weapons. whats the deal?

Sir Garbageman said:
I'm pretty sure if you open a level 5 chest for a job or for weapons it makes levels 1-4 obsolete. No need to open up the rest of them unless you're going for the achievement.

As for the upgrades, even though you get a level 5 upgrade directly, you still pay for the previous ones.

For example, if level 1 upgrade is 20 seals and level 2 is 40 seals and level 3 is 60 seals, when you directly go for level 3 upgrade, it costs 120 seals if you haven't bought the previous ones. So it would be wise to get the in them respective order depending on what you want rather than just letting the seals sitting idle.

As for the weapons, I honestly found no reason to buy anything, especially early on in the game when money is necessary. The loot which you rarely get is good enough to beat the game, however once you get your money rolling by buying properties, you could do as you wish for collection.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
JayDubya said:
Finally became king last night. Haven't done the first order of business yet: the trial.

Strength, Stature, Magical Aptitude maxed, all chests so far opened, several legendary weapons maxed, something like 20.5 million gold. :lol I'm just running around trying to get all the keys and gnomes without a FAQ... this is something I'd expect many, or most people to do anyway, but it makes the game stupid, stupid easy.

They really need to ramp up the difficulty or remove the sex so this can be the baby's first RPG the difficulty level would indicate. Granted, swarms of hollow men or balverines can knock down health fairly quickly but potions are far too cheap and have no cooldown.

Well, obviously, if you grind like hell, which you must have considering where you are in the story, it will be easy.

Top Bottom