• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Alucrid

Banned
Azure Phoenix said:
If you were a pure good ruler almost everyone will like you, and if you walk up to them you'll earn a guild seal for being their friend. Aside from that the book and flower quests reward you with a number of seals.

I was a good ruler, so I guess I can walk up to everyone. but the book/flower searching is a bit too tedious for me. Maybe I'll do the dlc to work on it. Stupid level 5 jobs costing 60 per.

Chrange

Banned
Mystic654 said:
Plug two controllers in (Local Co-Op) and let it run. Should take two hours to unlock.
Thanks, got it before the contest deadline while watching the Oilers forget they had a game :D

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Gouty said:
You are not alone my friend. It's like they developed this game on some super early dev kit and had no idea on how the game would wind up looking. It's a stuttering, ugly, brown mess. Does anyone know if Lionhead had multiple teams? This game reeks of B team while the starters are secretly working on something Kinect related.

Ahh, yea, me too, was wondering what was up.
I think Crystal Bearers on Wii looks better.... (some of the dungeons/cave reminds me of it)

Falagard

I'm not sure why people are all up in arms about this game. I'm enjoying it like I enjoyed the other ones - an easy RPG that takes your hand and guides you the whole way. It's pretty mindless in general, and has some funny moments, repetitive but fairly interesting combat, etc. which is pretty much exactly what I need to play because I'm sick at the moment.

I haven't even really come close to dying yet, but that's nothing new in the Fable franchise. The story seems pretty decent (I'm not done the game yet) in how it's told, and at least this time the main character actually speaks.

*shrug*

Owzers

Falagard said:
I'm not sure why people are all up in arms about this game. I'm enjoying it like I enjoyed the other ones - an easy RPG that takes your hand and guides you the whole way. It's pretty mindless in general, and has some funny moments, repetitive but fairly interesting combat, etc. which is pretty much exactly what I need to play because I'm sick at the moment.

I haven't even really come close to dying yet, but that's nothing new in the Fable franchise. The story seems pretty decent (I'm not done the game yet) in how it's told, and at least this time the main character actually speaks.

*shrug*

- crappy weapons/weapon leveling system

- crappy melee combat

- one-on-one interactions with villagers with delays before and after initiating each one

- the entire end segment of the game.

Monocle

Azure Phoenix said:
No. The quest is a mild distraction, the sword is useless and the outfits are horrible. However the Hunter's Lodge is almost essential, since it is the only house in the game where your spouse won't get murdered by Balverines or disappear due to glitches.

The book shaped box is also quite nice (personally I've got my copy of Fable 2 GOTY stored in it) but it depends how much value you would place on it.
Looks like I'll be going for the standard edition then. Thanks for the response.

The thing about the end game I don't like is the fact money is so easy to come by that by just buying properties there's no real negative trade off money wise for being good as the game intends. I already have 6.5 million in the treasurery and another 8.5 in my sanctuary. Granted, I've been collecting gnomes/keys for the past few days.

What the hell was that. Just finished this tonight. Such a let down compared to Fable 2. The revolutionary part is too short and, outside of the first 20 minutes, gave me zero reason to care about the revolution. Becoming king is anti-climatic and the king part was, again, too short. Then they throw in a crappy Flood like enemy and the ending felt rushed. You know what? Peter M. said Fable 2's story sucked. I think that was its saving grace. Fable works best with limited story and choose your own path gameplay. I was alk for a Fable focused on story, but they screwed up royaly. The best parts of Fable III were when it was just trying to be Fable not some half-assed epic tale. I think I'm most bummed because the premise behind Fable III sounded awesome, but the execution is forgettable.

bathala

Banned
Just finished it also. I'm satisfied with the ending. I kept all my promises. Save all the people (7mil in treasury), and saved my brother.

the boss was a joke though. blades and bolts: the boss couldn't attack. it was stunned until it died :lol

Overall: this is the weakest fable in the series. I'm glad I rented it

Tabris

THEY NEED TO ADD A "REPAIR ALL" FUNCTION...

...or maybe a quest where you can hire a handyman at the end, because repairing is annoying.

kinn

hamchan said:
WTF the end segment was extremely poor. All my people are dead now because I didn't expect time to run out so fast.

Same here.

Is there no way to try being a king again? I dont want to play from the start again just to try the king segment (too many other games to play).

Overall, was ok but Fable 2 was much better IMHO. Not played 1. That better than 2? Yay or Nay?

Tubobutts

kinn said:
Same here.

Is there no way to try being a king again? I dont want to play from the start again just to try the king segment (too many other games to play).

Overall, was ok but Fable 2 was much better IMHO. Not played 1. That better than 2? Yay or Nay?

I liked Fable 1 more than 2 but I'm probably in the minority. I think the PC version is around $20 now and it's worth checking out.

Grisby

Finished!

Did most of the sidequests and really only have the books left to collect. Well, those and two keys in Dankwater Cave that I cannot get for some reason.

I might write up a more detailed review for the GAF thread but overall I really enjoyed it. The game has some disappointing technical hitches but man is it gorgeous. Pretty much every environment felt unique and beautiful. Everything else is standard Fable fare but I love Fable so it was pretty nice.

One last thing though, the end game was pretty much non-existent and the final confrontation was lacking. Still, the journey was better than the conclusion. Worth a purchase for sure if you decide to explore every part of the world.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...The whole sanctuary concept would have worked fine if it weren't for the minimap. It's lacking any sort of differentiation between the main hubs and the inner working such as the Brightwall Library, any of the caves you've found.... it doesn't even have your position to show where you are. It can be utterly frustrating to search for silver keys or any other collectibles without using some sort of guide.

That, combined with the gross oversimplification in the levelling job, and conversation system along with combat, etc... made me quite wary of how much further Molyneux will simplify Fable IV.

Granted, some of the story quests can make up for it (Mainly the mid-game), but overall...eh.

Anyone get the DLC? I thought Understone pretty much sucked. Even at $5 I wouldn't recommend it unless you REALLY want to play more Fable 3.

In comparison Knothole Island was way better.

Ricker

Neuromancer said:
Anyone get the DLC? I thought Understone pretty much sucked. Even at $5 I wouldn't recommend it unless you REALLY want to play more Fable 3.

Thinking of getting it though...I`m near the end of the game but I am waiting before going to a point of no return...I have 2 chests left to open on the RtR so if I get this DLC,will it add to my points to open the last 2 chest(I need 100) and then can I finish the main story...?

Also are the gold keys rewards for like getting all the gnomes and stuff like that or are they just really really well hidden...? can you find everything in the game in the first playthrough?

vhfive

Neuromancer said:

Is there any good loot at least? I wouldn't mind throwing some money down for some cool unique weapons or some new clothing.

vhfive said:
Is there any good loot at least? I wouldn't mind throwing some money down for some cool unique weapons or some new clothing.
Clothing, no. Weapons? There are probably some good ones if you haven't beat the game, but since I already did their stats aren't real good.

FinFan

I give up on this game. I had to start over after 5 hours because of a sanctuary bug. Now after 20 hours in my second try I hit a bug entering a cave and I'm just floating in mid air. It's like the cave never loaded and I'm stuck in limbo. Hitting the start button only brings up the game management and options menu.

I FUCKING HATE WHAT THEY DID TO FABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

derFeef

http://lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_d...12/01/patch-notes-fable-iii-title-update.aspx
Patch Notes Fable III

Deployed 1st December 2010 10am GMT (5MB)

Disclaimer: While we make every effort to include as many upcoming changes in our patch notes as possible, please be aware that some changes are unintentionally omitted. Where possible the title update will be retroactive, meaning if you’ve already experienced the issue in your game it will now be resolved. This is not applicable to all solutions.

Major Fixes

Sanctuary: Fixed numerous issues whereby Jasper would stop talking or whereby the world map would become unusable

Quests: Tabletop: The Hobbes may not spawn in the last area causing the player to be unable to progress
Quest: Tabletop: Online multiplayer: Player host is unable to vault off platform to Hobbe area
Quest: Tabletop: Player can become stuck behind some rocks
Quest: Tabletop: After defeating the hollowmen in the room with the lever the player is unable to progress
Quest: The Masquerade: Player can become trapped in Reaver’s mansion.
Quest: The Masquerade: Player can fall out of the world
Quest: GNOMES PART 1: Player can break script
Live: The players fall out of the world (FOOTW) when transitioning from Shifting Sands to The Veiled Path
Crash: Mourningwood guards audio
Crash: During the quest “Peace, Love and Homicide”

Minor Fixes
General improvements to performance and frame rate

World: Online multiplayer: Fast Travel area does not extend from end of level the "The Hole" to go to Mistpeak Valley
World: Player can fall out of environment in Mistpeak Valley while in combat
World: After proposing marriage, Bowerstone Castle cannot be selected as family home.
World: If client repairs a house, the house goes from renting out to living in
World: Player can become stuck during Castle Battle after vaulting over sandbags near burning cart
World: Bowerstone Industrial: Player can fall off the world
World: a fix for existing or future FOOTW situations
World: Online multiplayer: No Particle Effects on Host Screen after Marrying another Player
Live: Orbs do not always show up
Live: Online multiplayer: Fixed an issue with sliding host in the sanctuary
Live: Fixed several issues relating to gifting and receiving gifts in local and online coop
Quest: Tabletop: Breadcrumb not leading to Demonic Chickens
Saves: Fixed a few issues that could cause a corrupt save game slot
World: Driftwood: Hero can become stuck inside of tree
World: Shooting a crate creates a duplicate crate
World: Black chicken in castle gardens flies straight up into the air for several seconds when kicked
Speech: Japanese: Reaver is missing VO in one quest

English voicepack is also going to be released. yay!

Ricker

Nice...the only bug I experienced so far though is Jasper not doing anything anymore and being completly silent...so about those Gold keys? are they rewards for like finding the 30 gnomes or behind the talking doors,stuff like that?...I been to 2 places so far that needs a gold key to get in but I haven`t found any yet and i`m near the end of the game,with about only 100 seals to get so I will have opened every chest on the Road to Rule.

GillianSeed79 said:
I was alk for a Fable focused on story, but they screwed up royaly.

I see what you did there.

Just reading over this thread I realized that, despite finishing this only two weeks ago, I can't remember the end boss. I do remember saving everyone, my brother thanking me, and going through the castle for the siege, but the actual boss completely eludes me.

bathala

Banned
yeah I got kicked out from Reaver's mansion.

luckly my companion for that quest finished the bad guys which loaded up the cutscene

Am I the only one who loves a good patch note?

Quest: GNOMES PART 1: Player can break script
World: Driftwood: Hero can become stuck inside of tree
World: Shooting a crate creates a duplicate crate
World: Black chicken in castle gardens flies straight up into the air for several seconds when kicked
:lol

BriareosGAF said:
I see what you did there.

Just reading over this thread I realized that, despite finishing this only two weeks ago, I can't remember the end boss. I do remember saving everyone, my brother thanking me, and going through the castle for the siege, but the actual boss completely eludes me.
It was
Walter
, remember now?

I decided to give the game another playthrough, this time as an evil character, to see how the story holds up. Summed up in a single word, poorly.

Admittedly there wasn't much point being evil in Fable 2 either, but at least the plot permitted your character to act however you wanted. Being an evil, spiteful character who's main motivation was vengeance was perfectly plausible considering everything that happened to your character.

In Fable 3 however there is absolutely no motivation for your character to be evil. The whole plot revolves around forging alliances and making promises to better the world, and I doubt you'd get far by slaughtering those allies or pillaging their towns. It can't even be a case of the Prince/Princess deceiving people just to get in to power as the way the story is presented, they are sincere promises.

And when you finally become King/Queen there is little reason to pick the evil choices, aside from opening up a couple of small new areas you'll be basically cutting your nose off to spite your face, as the world ends up looking like crap, shopping and moneymaking becomes severely restricted and you end up with non-stop booing and screaming sound effects causing your eardrums to bleed.

Azure Phoenix said:
I decided to give the game another playthrough, this time as an evil character, to see how the story holds up. Summed up in a single word, poorly.

Admittedly there wasn't much point being evil in Fable 2 either, but at least the plot permitted your character to act however you wanted. Being an evil, spiteful character who's main motivation was vengeance was perfectly plausible considering everything that happened to your character.

In Fable 3 however there is absolutely no motivation for your character to be evil. The whole plot revolves around forging alliances and making promises to better the world, and I doubt you'd get far by slaughtering those allies or pillaging their towns. It can't even be a case of the Prince/Princess deceiving people just to get in to power as the way the story is presented, they are sincere promises.

And when you finally become King/Queen there is little reason to pick the evil choices, aside from opening up a couple of small new areas you'll be basically cutting your nose off to spite your face, as the world ends up looking like crap, shopping and moneymaking becomes severely restricted and you end up with non-stop booing and screaming sound effects causing your eardrums to bleed.
:lol Haha wow

I think if there is another Fable game, they really need to open it up like Oblivion. Let you do literally whatever you want and not have the entire game world be shut off to you until you go through the main story progression. I think then being evil, or having a family, or any other number of things you can already do would become more interesting.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question regarding one of the early quests
first rare book quest that you get after returning 5 books to the library

It tells me to go to the "everfrost cave" or whatever it's called. I go to the cave, and even though I have the quest selected as my primary, I get no glow-y line in the cave. I go all the way to the end of the cave, and there's no book. There's also a ton of the cave I can see with chests and keys in it that I can't access. Is there some story event that opens up these areas of the cave? Or am I missing something?

There are about 4 entrances to that cave scattered across Mistpeak, some of which are hard to find. If you intend to get all the keys, gnomes etc. you'll need to go through all of them. The glowing trail for that quest should lead you to the correct entrance.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Azure Phoenix said:
There are about 4 entrances to that cave scattered across Mistpeak, some of which are hard to find. If you intend to get all the keys, gnomes etc. you'll need to go through all of them. The glowing trail for that quest should lead you to the correct entrance.

Unfortunately I get no glowing trail at all for this mission, no matter where I am. I'll move around, stand still for a minute... nothing ever shows up. And I'm sure I have it selected as my "tracked" quest.

vhfive

FlyinJ said:
Unfortunately I get no glowing trail at all for this mission, no matter where I am. I'll move around, stand still for a minute... nothing ever shows up. And I'm sure I have it selected as my "tracked" quest.
hug the right wall when you enter mistpeak from brightwall. you should find the enterance you need

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
vhfive said:
hug the right wall when you enter mistpeak from brightwall. you should find the enterance you need

Ah thanks... the patch seemed to have fixed my problem.

I have two more questions:

Is there a faster way to transfer personal money into the treasury?
I got the 1,000,000 from the talking head that wanted to meet a king. I want to put it all in the treasury, but it's super slow holding right on the stick. I held it for 3 minutes and only got to 5,000

Also, is there a book store in the game like in Fable 2? I want to get a better training book for my dog, but still haven't found one. Will I find one eventually by following quests?

FlyinJ said:

I got the 1,000,000 from the talking head that wanted to meet a king. I want to put it all in the treasury, but it's super slow holding right on the stick. I held it for 3 minutes and only got to 5,000

Also, is there a book store in the game like in Fable 2? I want to get a better training book for my dog, but still haven't found one. Will I find one eventually by following quests?

There are a few stalls that sell dog books, yeah. Don't remember where exactly. I think that crazy lady who asks you to liberate the chickens in the pie factory opens one.

Awesome I still get subtitles stuck on the screen even after loading and just had major slow down in the castle with a bunch of workers/maids.

Fuck this game, not worth finishing.

FlyinJ said:

1: It shouldn't be that slow, usually it takes about 10-15 seconds for me to transfer 1 million gold. I had a couple of friends that complained about the same issue, it seems that if you don't hold the left analog stick in a certain way it is painfully slow. Also don't use the d-pad.

2: There is a dog book stall in Brightwall opposite the clothing shop, another in Old Town in the area where all the stalls are and then a lady opens one up near the demon door in Millfields if you complete the Animal Liberation quest.

I loved this game. It has its problems, but I can't lie about me being thoroughly entertained by it. Everything in the sound department was top-notch -- and the soundtrack was excellent, for a change in the Fable series. The story is way less stupid and more interesting than the previous installments (though still a bit mediocre). Gameplay is fun and addicting for the same reasons in Fable II. I actually like the 2nd half-- I just wish there was more to it. Graphics are decent.

I don't know. I am really surprised by the negativity for this game. I mean, it was fun, which is really what it all it comes down to nowadays for me.

Blueblur1

This game is a fucking joke. After downloading the patch, Jasper went silent again, I lost the D-pad options from the Sanctuary and the framerate is going to Hell even in the towns. I literally ran around Brightwall and had the game almost freezing up completely every 10 seconds. This is the last Lionhead game I ever fucking buy.

STG

@ all German gamers (and other europeans, I guess)

the english voiceover dlc is up!

free, ~876MB

I just hope I can change the language ingame, because I only have seen the voice setting before in the Y menu when you create a new char

*prays*

Edit:
well fuck you lionhead

you have to create a new game to change language
which means I will beat this a 3rd time :/

this time totally evil

I wish they would patch out that goddamn blur filter. I've seen a lot of people saying that it's not as severe as Fable 2, but I don't recall having such a problem with it.

Are there many changes between a pure good and a pure evil play through?

I finished a pure good play through the other day and was thinking of doing a pure evil play through just to see the difference.

Monocle

Really guys, I've played up to Bowerstone Industrial and this game isn't nearly as bad as most of you have been saying. The voice acting is top quality, the gameplay is loads of fun (I'm not terribly concerned by the lack of difficulty; it's entertaining just to mow things down with sweet spells), the environments are huge and varied, the quests range from pleasantly diverting to outright amazing (holy shit at the tabletop game), and the character customization is everything I wanted.

The one and only complaint I have so far is that there's no way to repair all my houses at once. The sparkly quest trail thing goes wonky every now and again, but it corrects itself every time I interact with my dog.

Blueblur1 said:
This game is a fucking joke. After downloading the patch, Jasper went silent again, I lost the D-pad options from the Sanctuary and the framerate is going to Hell even in the towns. I literally ran around Brightwall and had the game almost freezing up completely every 10 seconds. This is the last Lionhead game I ever fucking buy.

You've really had the worst of luck with this game huh? :/

Btw, have you been playing the game from the disc? Or did you install it to your hard drive? I installed mine to my hard drive and I've barely had any problems or glitches.

Top Bottom