• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable III |OT| King for a day...fool for a lifetime

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You know you don't have to play patty cake with everyone right? Very little of this game (can only think of one part off the top of my head and it's not even part of the main quest), requires you to interact with the villagers one on one.

Gave fable 2 a spin again, I'm being mobbed in every town by npc blocking my fucking way, following me into my castle and just being annoying (I don't fucking care that if I had a ring we could get married sir!). Sorry the 1 on 1 is a step up from that, you can't avoid it in fable 2.

As a hardcore fable fan, fable 3 is a step up in every way but 1, can't pick your experssions.

Kritz

Banned
Ugh... finished this game today.

Now, let me first say that I really, really enjoyed Fable 1 and 2, even with their flaws.

Fable 3 is an irredeemable mess of an experience, and is absolutely the most disappointing and very closely the worst game I've played this year. It's a stripped down Fable 2, and has forgotten all the interesting plot points from the previous games, and every single element of this game is WORSE than the previous game. I could go on for about half an hour complaining about this game, but I'll save myself the heartache.

You know, I really want a Fable 4. I want a Fable game to resolve the series. Return the Heroes to their full glory - a brand new Hero's guild. Finally give closure to Theresa and Reaver. Fix this god forsaken franchise. It might not be too late.

I think Fable 3 is a complete mess in almost every way, but the stand out messed up feature must be the Road to Rule.

What the f*ck was that really? What was it good for?

It´s supposed to be a "mysterious road" that mirrors the players characters development towards being a ruler.

And it contains rewards like dyes, the ability to buy property, silly expressions and better skills at pie-making? Really Lionhead, really? Pie-making?

And it offers no choices at all, because everything except the melee-, ranged and magic-skills costs almost nothing to unlock. And those three choices have no impact in the game since failure in combat has no real consequences at all. And the upgrades you get buy unlocking the bonuses in the weapons you buy are worth more than the chests in Road to Rule.

Unless I´m missing something important here, that feature feels like the most failed feature in a game ever.

bathala

Banned
Never bought the game because of what I heard about the menu system. Rented it on gamefly. Got annoyed by the conversion system that its dumbed down and it doesn't happen on the fly like before.

But after hours of gameplay the game grew on me. The annoying parts doesn't bother me that much, and the only game I can actually play laying down on bed

Gileadxv

Banned
I enjoyed it much more on my second run through (evil). I found by never using melee, the combat became much more entertaining and bearable. I actually enjoyed the King portion, but would love to see it expanded and have much more depth. I'll +1 the Road to Rule being rubbish, and the terrible NPC interaction. This was also the first Fable where I never felt any impetus to go out and get married, start a family, etc. There never seemed to be any reason to do it, and you're traveling so much that it doesn't make sense to settle down.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm looking to start a second run-through. Anyone willing to part with their military outfit? It looks awesome and I don't want to have to wait for my coronation to open the demon door that carries it. Will give legendary weapons, in-game favours of various kinds...

cjelly said:
Dig spots should be Gold and gems, fine.
Chests should be something a bit more special, a bit more unique, with the occasional bag of Gold.
I'd like the chests more if the gold bags were considerably weightier...
Psst, got a military outfit kind sir?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Any news on if a patch is hitting before the DLC on Tuesday?

Also, I think my biggest disappointment with this game is the loot. More often than not, dig spots and chests are full of the same shit like Gold and worthless gems. There aren't enough unique items.

Dig spots should be Gold and gems, fine.
Chests should be something a bit more special, a bit more unique, with the occasional bag of Gold.

Kurtofan

I hated the fact that the characters refered to my Fable 2's hero as a queen when my character was a male.
Ok I made him drank this frigging sex change potion, it was like a constant reminder of my stupidity.
I'd hoped they'd forgetten that.

Walshicus

HadesGigas said:
Yeah that's pretty much the problem. Sanctuary is neat and hell of a lot better than the crap menus in the old games, but when all is said and done it's not a part of the gameplay, which they went and chopped out significant parts of.

I'd rather have an annoying menu and relatively full featured gameplay than a slick 3D non-menu and have to slow dance and play patty cake with everyone.
You know what? I LIKED the Fable 1 menu. And I hate the Sanctuary. It's not intuitive. Some moron at Lionhead has got it in his mind that menus are bad, that inventories are too difficult to understand. This moron is a moron.

Fable started off flawed but fun. With every release since the first, the designers seem intent on sucking the life and choice out of the game in return for stupid, stupid "simplifications". I don't think I'm going to buy another Fable game unless it takes a radical turn back to RPG-land.

Sir Fragula said:
You know what? I LIKED the Fable 1 menu. And I hate the Sanctuary. It's not intuitive. Some moron at Lionhead has got it in his mind that menus are bad, that inventories are too difficult to understand. This moron is a moron.

Fable started off flawed but fun. With every release since the first, the designers seem intent on sucking the life and choice out of the game in return for stupid, stupid "simplifications". I don't think I'm going to buy another Fable game unless it takes a radical turn back to RPG-land.

I don't even remember the Fable 1 menu, it was probably not too offensive. 2's was awful because of it's slowness and how poorly organized it felt.

Kurtofan

Sir Fragula said:

I hated having to push the "xbox" button everytime I wanted to save.

Finished the game yesterday, I don't know how but they managed to turn a potentially great game into a heap of crap with a series of stupid decisions.

For starters the interaction with NPCs is pathetic. Removing the expression wheel needn't be a terrible thing, but then it has to offer you the most inappropriate gestures possible. If I walk in to a new town and want to start getting the people on my side, I don't want to play Pat-a-cake, fart in their face or act like a chicken. It took me ages to try and open the Mistpeak demon door just because the game wouldn't give me the choice of anything but Hug or Hero Pose again and again.

Giving the Prince/Princess voice acting was a decent choice, but then for some reason after you finally exit the tutorial stage he/she barely says a couple of lines until the last part of the game. It's like giving Link a voice for the first dungeon and then making him mute until the final battle.

Combat is crap and gets progressively worse. They've dumbed down all the aspects of combat so it is slower and your attack choices are limited, melee is far too slow and removing sub-targeting from ranged weapons was absolutely stupid.

Ruling Albion is pathetic,
it's little more than pressing A to be good and X to be evil as you are presented a series of world changing choices that you had to work for in F2. The so called "consequences" of being good - lack of money to save your people - are negated by it being even easier to earn money than in Fable 2.

Speaking of morality, it has been made even more black and white than in Fable 2. After all those grand promises of tough and morally grey decisions, the damn button prompts show you the exact results of your extreme choices by being surrounded by glowing light or flames.

Regarding the ending,
it is probably the most rushed, underwhelming, dull and jarring final battle I have ever experienced. I had no problems with the Fable 2 ending having no climax since it was you and 3 other heroes against a frail old man, but after all that build up you are just dumped straight into battle. It was ridiculous, suddenly 120 days pass, Walter and Ben Finn says "Bowerstone is in trouble, let's go" and after a loading screen you get dumped into Bowerstone Market. No build-up, no tension, no planning, no cutscenes. After the enjoyable and climactic rebellion battle it was pathetic. Even the credits sequences screams a rush job, a plain black screen and music that cuts out halfway through.

The weapon morphing system is great in theory, but very badly thought out. Every upgrade chest changes part of your weapon based on what you have been doing, but unless you purposefully hold off on all upgrades until you become King your weapon will almost always morph into the same ugly mess. Did Lionhead really not think that forcing you to fight almost nothing but Hollow Men early on would result in everyone getting the ugly bone handle on their weapons?

As for the rest: the interface is clunky, everything is glitchy, the framerate sucks, lighting is all over the place, the dog is broken, treasure is rubbish, clothing choice is poor and the housing selection is terrible (go on, find a nice house where you family won't get slaughtered by Balverines or glitched out of existence - I dare you).

Salz01

Azure Phoenix said:
Finished the game yesterday, I don't know how but they managed to turn a potentially great game into a heap of crap with a series of stupid decisions.

For starters the interaction with NPCs is pathetic. Removing the expression wheel needn't be a terrible thing, but then it has to offer you the most inappropriate gestures possible. If I walk in to a new town and want to start getting the people on my side, I don't want to play Pat-a-cake, fart in their face or act like a chicken. It took me ages to try and open the Mistpeak demon door just because the game wouldn't give me the choice of anything but Hug or Hero Pose again and again.

Giving the Prince/Princess voice acting was a decent choice, but then for some reason after you finally exit the tutorial stage he/she barely says a couple of lines until the last part of the game. It's like giving Link a voice for the first dungeon and then making him mute until the final battle.

Combat is crap and gets progressively worse. They've dumbed down all the aspects of combat so it is slower and your attack choices are limited, melee is far too slow and removing sub-targeting from ranged weapons was absolutely stupid.

Ruling Albion is pathetic,
it's little more than pressing A to be good and X to be evil as you are presented a series of world changing choices that you had to work for in F2. The so called "consequences" of being good - lack of money to save your people - are negated by it being even easier to earn money than in Fable 2.

Speaking of morality, it has been made even more black and white than in Fable 2. After all those grand promises of tough and morally grey decisions, the damn button prompts show you the exact results of your extreme choices by being surrounded by glowing light or flames.

Regarding the ending,
it is probably the most rushed, underwhelming, dull and jarring final battle I have ever experienced. I had no problems with the Fable 2 ending having no climax since it was you and 3 other heroes against a frail old man, but after all that build up you are just dumped straight into battle. It was ridiculous, suddenly 120 days pass, Walter and Ben Finn says "Bowerstone is in trouble, let's go" and after a loading screen you get dumped into Bowerstone Market. No build-up, no tension, no planning, no cutscenes. After the enjoyable and climactic rebellion battle it was pathetic. Even the credits sequences screams a rush job, a plain black screen and music that cuts out halfway through.

The weapon morphing system is great in theory, but very badly thought out. Every upgrade chest changes part of your weapon based on what you have been doing, but unless you purposefully hold off on all upgrades until you become King your weapon will almost always morph into the same ugly mess. Did Lionhead really not think that forcing you to fight almost nothing but Hollow Men early on would result in everyone getting the ugly bone handle on their weapons?

As for the rest: the interface is clunky, everything is glitchy, the framerate sucks, lighting is all over the place, the dog is broken, treasure is rubbish, clothing choice is poor and the housing selection is terrible (go on, find a nice house where you family won't get slaughtered by Balverines or glitched out of existence - I dare you).

Its as if somebody hacked into my brain, gathered my thoughts of Fable 3, and then wrote this post.

I debated about swapping this into Gamestop for store credit. I didnt want anybody else to experience this mess of a game, or anybody else to make more money from it. But then my sense of selfishness took over and I wanted somewhat of my money back.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just starting out. Does having a save file from Fable II effect the game at all?
I'm starting on a different Xbox, so no files here. Didn't want to miss out any carry over.

First thought: why does the screen go black eachtime I interact with someone?
Not sure I understand the design decision there, seems like that would get annoying over 20 hours or so of play.

John Harker said:
Just starting out. Does having a save file from Fable II effect the game at all?
I'm starting on a different Xbox, so no files here. Didn't want to miss out any carry over.

First thought: why does the screen go black eachtime I interact with someone?
Not sure I understand the design decision there, seems like that would get annoying over 20 hours or so of play.

It just changes if they call your parent king or queen.

John Harker

HadesGigas said:
It just changes if they call your parent king or queen.

woa, that's... it? Not neve statues, cosmetically, or based on any of the decisions I made last game? That's... lame.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I hate sanctuary too. i mean it takes too much work to just save your game. How the hell do you exit the game? Xbox guide ---> dashboard?

AndresON777 said:
I hate sanctuary too. i mean it takes too much work to just save your game. How the hell do you exit the game? Xbox guide ---> dashboard?

That's how you exit most retail games...

But yeah there's no way back to the title screen. Though not like there is anything to do on the title screen, you press start and it auto loads your most recent save.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
well at least on the regular retail games you can quit to the main menu, it's just odd. I wish their was kinect support, holding down the a button to do certain actions is just like holding up your hand in the kinect hub to choose where you wanna go.

---I'm diggin the game though, I just havnt had much time to play yet.

Azure Phoenix said:

I agree with you completely. Funny thing is, Lionhead has done exactly this thing before.

With Black&White 2.

The first hade som problems, like Fable 1 also had, but they both hade some unique qualities that made them interesting and really fun. But for the sequel, they cut out all those features because they said no one understood them, and all that was left in Black&White 2 was really mediocre RTS with flaws that companies like Blizzard and Westwood would never have allowed.

Fable III is the new Black&White 2.

I must be really stupid and doing something wrong, so please bear with me, but I can't start a quest with anyone. If I use the map at the sanctuary to find an exclamation mark I 'Okay' the quest and jump straight there. I have the golden trail taking me to the quest giver and I get there. But then I find no button on the controller starts the quest. Nothing I press does anything (and yes, the controller was working). What the hell am I doing wrong!? I have spent a loooong time away from this game playing F1 2010 and Fallout NV. Have I forgotten something simple!?

After 41 hours of play and just completing the new Understone DLC, I have met with the game-breaking glitch where you fall through the level. I warped to Bowerstone Castle, the game autosaves during the load screen, and I appear beneath the level.

Shit sucks. I really hope they patch it somehow. :(

Slackbladder said:
I must be really stupid and doing something wrong, so please bear with me, but I can't start a quest with anyone. If I use the map at the sanctuary to find an exclamation mark I 'Okay' the quest and jump straight there. I have the golden trail taking me to the quest giver and I get there. But then I find no button on the controller starts the quest. Nothing I press does anything (and yes, the controller was working). What the hell am I doing wrong!? I have spent a loooong time away from this game playing F1 2010 and Fallout NV. Have I forgotten something simple!?
You have to hold the A button for about two seconds to confirm most choices, including taking quests.

Ricker

Aquavelvaman said:
You have to hold the A button for about two seconds to confirm most choices, including taking quests.

Yeah,just let it roll around until it flashes,just like the expressions when you interact with people...I played this a few days when it came out and now just got back into it this week having finished FNV...I guess I hit the middle point in the game and I think it`s great...the whole section I just did last night,in the desert and all with Walter was awesome.

7echnicolor said:
Is the Understone DLC worth downloading?
It depends on how much you expect from $5. You get to play the Mercenary's shooting range and the Wheel of Misfortune at Reaver's house too. You win a few new weapons from getting high scores at each.

Understone itself is a little underwhelming. It's a fun little quest if you've beaten everything else, I suppose. Another cave, a few houses to explore and buy, one new enemy type as a sort of boss fight, and a moral decision to make at the end.

None of this stuff seems like it should have been left out of the game. It was just another way for them to make more money. But that isn't anything new. :(

Kurtofan

UltimateIke said:
It depends on how much you expect from $5. You get to play the Mercenary's shooting range and the Wheel of Misfortune at Reaver's house too. You win a few new weapons from getting high scores at each.

Understone itself is a little underwhelming. It's a fun little quest if you've beaten everything else, I suppose. Another cave, a few houses to explore and buy, one new enemy type as a sort of boss fight, and a moral decision to make at the end.

None of this stuff seems like it should have been left out of the game. It was just another way for them to make more money. But that isn't anything new. :(
Does it have repercussions on the king part, you know promises to keep and all that, or is it just side quest stuff?

John Harker

I don't suppose anyone knows how to make the game look better on an LED LCD TV?
only have component cables on me, but something's up, it looks kinda washed out and blurry when I move. Not sure if it's the game or the TV, but she don't look too purdy.

Maaseru

Banned
Still haven't finished it because I got AC:B, but I love this game.

Yes it seems like a disappointment coming from 2, but only because most of the basics are flawed in some way( slow down, dog stuck etc). Not because of the 1 on 1 which is really better. First of all because like some one said it is not messy like 1 or 2 where you had everyone following around. This still happens as w3hen you do the good mission or bad the whole town reacts to you and these accomplishments, but still you could go 1 on 1 with anyone. Yes it suck you can't choose the expressions, that's it.

Road to rule, well I love it really, because previous fable games, both 1 and 2 where TOTALLY GLITCHED in their upgrade system, I could have all the money and exp like 10 minutes from the beginning. In this one I had work my way through it and it really fells like a payoff. So it feels better executed.

Although the set pieces and way to tell the story was cooler in 2 the story in itself is better and more robust here. Character that you actually care for, IMO. I loved how magic spells looked and worked they were awesome, but the combat was kind of a drag at times.

All in all Fable 3 is a much better game than 1 or 2, but doesn't seems like it. Because some of the changes make it seems worse and the messed up basic only worsen this.

Last, but not least I don't get the King part complaints. Yes they were pretty transparent, but after playing fallout NV and getting some messed up and unclear choices about who is good/bad then I kinda liked this. I see this stage of the game as a more hands on world evolution than 2. See in Fable 2 you made the same choices, but they were made all throughout the game and at the end of each act, the world evolved accordingly. In 3 you do this by signing the promises and then in part 3 keeping them or breaking them. The same thing happens, the world changes according;y to your decisions just this time you get to be bit more specific. So nothing is bad here, it is just misinterpreted.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
John Harker said:
only have component cables on me, but something's up, it looks kinda washed out and blurry when I move. Not sure if it's the game or the TV, but she don't look too purdy.

I think that's normal. I experienced those things you mentioned, as well as a certain 'fogginess' that seemed to dull even the nice looking environments.

not a pretty game

Althoran

I finished the game and thought the king part was stupid. I think they might have wanted you to think about your decisions but why does it always come down to the following bullshit:
be good and it costs money
be evil and you gain money

Every decision works the same way. Okay you got those fetch quests during your king days too but mostly you could be done with the King-part in 2 hours or so.

I really hated not really knowing your inventory and buying gifts for the kids was hell. I could never find their teddybears of porcelain dolls in any of the stores.
Also selling stuff was annoying. It took me a long time until I understood where I could sell my stuff.

Lastly I can't remember it was ever so annoying to befriend or wed someone. Why a fetch-quest and a date-quest. Maybe they were in Fable 2 also and I am just looking through rose-tinted glasses but this is definitely the worst Fable yet.

Yay! I found a method on Lionhead's forums to save my file after getting stuck below the ground. You invite another player into your game, and they go to their load character screen. Then they quit to the dashboard, and (after a minute or so) you get kicked to your sanctuary! I was able to quick travel away to safety!

cjelly said:
Any new cheevos with the DLC?
No.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
John Harker said:

You are not alone my friend. It's like they developed this game on some super early dev kit and had no idea on how the game would wind up looking. It's a stuttering, ugly, brown mess. Does anyone know if Lionhead had multiple teams? This game reeks of B team while the starters are secretly working on something Kinect related.

Maaseru

Banned
Yeah the inventory thing sucked the worst. You could never know what you really had on you or how could use them. Only in context sentsitve cases and when selling them. BAd bad move.

Monocle

Extremely handsome and important question: Is the in-game bonus content in the limited edition worth the extra dough? I would assume not, but I'd be grateful for some informed opinions before I order the standard edition for $35 from Amazon on Black Friday.

Monocle said:
Extremely handsome and important question: Is the in-game bonus content in the limited edition worth the extra dough? I would assume not, but I'd be grateful for some informed opinions before I order the standard edition for $35 from Amazon on Black Friday.
No. The quest is a mild distraction, the sword is useless and the outfits are horrible. However the Hunter's Lodge is almost essential, since it is the only house in the game where your spouse won't get murdered by Balverines or disappear due to glitches.

The book shaped box is also quite nice (personally I've got my copy of Fable 2 GOTY stored in it) but it depends how much value you would place on it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Azure Phoenix said:
No. The quest is a mild distraction, the sword is useless and the outfits are horrible. However the Hunter's Lodge is almost essential, since it is the only house in the game where your spouse won't get murdered by Balverines or disappear due to glitches.

The book shaped box is also quite nice (personally I've got my copy of Fable 2 GOTY stored in it) but it depends how much value you would place on it.

I actually found the CE's quest pretty enjoyable and would have definitely missed it had I bought the vanilla version of the game. The sword you get is also very useful against Balverines. It was one of the few that I bothered to completely power up. The Lodge was pointless though. Never kept anything or any of my families there. (Also never experienced any family-related glitches or Balverine murders). So I'd buy the CE version again - I'd wait until it goes on sale though. The game as a whole isn't worth $60 bucks for the vanilla or $80 for the CE.

Alucrid

Banned
So I need like...360 guild seals to open all the chests. I'm done the story and most of the quests...how can I go about getting these pretty fast?

luxarific said:
The Lodge was pointless though. Never kept anything or any of my families there. (Also never experienced any family-related glitches or Balverine murders.
Bowerstone Market
- Keeping your family there on the final day results in them being killed or disappearing.
Bowerstone Castle - If your family is in the castle when you make a ruling, they will disappear.
Millfields - Balverines and Mercenaries spawn right outside the houses and will probably murder your spouse.
Bowerstone Old Town
- Your family will be dead or disappears if you leave them there during the revolution.
Mourningwood - Chance of death by Hollowmen.
Brightwall - The small house outside the city is surrounded by bats at night which probably will kill your spouse.
Bowerstone Industrial - After the escape your family will disappear.

Poona said:
That really works? I thought the co-op achievements were only for XBOX Live play.
They are, only the 1000 gold one works in splitscreen co-op.

Alucrid said:
So I need like...360 guild seals to open all the chests. I'm done the story and most of the quests...how can I go about getting these pretty fast?
If you were a pure good ruler almost everyone will like you, and if you walk up to them you'll earn a guild seal for being their friend. Aside from that the book and flower quests reward you with a number of seals.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Azure Phoenix said:
Bowerstone Market
- Keeping your family there on the final day results in them being killed or disappearing.
Bowerstone Castle - If your family is in the castle when you make a ruling, they will disappear.
Millfields - Balverines and Mercenaries spawn right outside the houses and will probably murder your spouse.
Bowerstone Old Town
- Your family will be dead or disappears if you leave them there during the revolution.
Mourningwood - Chance of death by Hollowmen.
Brightwall - The small house outside the city is surrounded by bats at night which probably will kill your spouse.
Bowerstone Industrial - After the escape your family will disappear.

Had families in Bowerstone Market, Brightwall and Industrial. Never experienced any family deaths at any point in the game. Had one divorce, because he saw me get married to another person in the same town, but other than that, nothing.

Top Bottom