• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Korey

joshlee said:
the old view is still there, you only see the new view if you go to your profile. idk if it's supposed to be like that and will change soon or will stay that way untill the official release.
huh?

mjfor40

New profile and timeline is pretty cool after some serious editing

The only problem is going back to my posts from 2004 when I started on FB in college. There are so many inappropriate and almost embarrassing posts from this time....do I have to delete each one individually?

DarkWish

Interesting, I like the look of it.

Only problem is... now I have to go through all of my old posts from the past few years and delete ones I don't want my mom to see. She made me add her on Facebook and I put her in a limited profile view, but that was as of a few months ago... so I'm assuming all my old posts from before will now be visible to her. She could view them before, but I know she was too lazy to keep scrolling to see more posts and go that far back, but now it'll be easy for her to see that. Well, at least I have a week head start...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
DarkWish said:

Only problem is... now I have to go through all of my old posts from the past few years and delete ones I don't want my mom to see. She made me add her on Facebook and I put her in a limited profile view, but that was as of a few months ago... so I'm assuming all my old posts from before will now be visible to her. She could view them before, but I know she was too lazy to keep scrolling to see more posts and go that far back, but now it'll be easy for her to see that. Well, at least I have a week head start...

just make a fake facebook and add her.

Korey

DarkWish said:

I don't understand people who add their parents to their facebook. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but like...just say "no" and instantly save yourself a ton of time, effort, and brainpower

Enco

Do you have to re do permissions? Even if you have lists all set?

There's a guide on getting a dev account on gizmodo (shudder) if you want.

Zuckerberg lied. He said it would be open to everyone who wants it today and those who don't care over the next few weeks.

DarkWish

Ermac said:
just make a fake facebook and add her.
Too much work, I'm lazy lol. It's annoying to have to log back in and out of two accounts. A limited profile view for her worked perfectly before, but I don't think it went back and retroactively changed my old posts.

Korey said:
I don't understand people who add their parents to their facebook. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but like...just say "no" and instantly save yourself a ton of time, effort, and brainpower
Well since I'm at home, I'd constantly hear her bugging me about it so I'd rather not hear the constant nagging. It was fine before with the old Facebook and I had no problems... but with old posts so easily accessible, now it's becoming something I have to be conscious about.

Dragon

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
...Facebook looks the same to me outside of the changes a day or two ago...

Am I missing this newness?

You'll only see changes if you get the new profile. Even then no one who doesn't have the new profile will see it. Just wait a few weeks if it doesn't matter for you.

Mafro

Just enabled the new Timeline via the developer app thing and it looks great. Almost makes up from the abortion the came up with the other day in terms of the news feed and live update ticker. How do you enable Spotify integration?

edgefusion

Mafro said:
Just enabled the new Timeline via the developer app thing and it looks great. Almost makes up from the abortion the came up with the other day in terms of the news feed and live update ticker. How do you enable Spotify integration?

A lot of the Open Graph stuff (Like Netflix and Spotify) they were showing off were apps and not actually integrated into the core Facebook. I'm not sure they mentioned an ETA but I'll bet they can't be far off after the profiles go live for everyone.

yencid

fgoz1.png

i had to

Feep

Banned
I made a TestApp and added OpenGraph...(You can Feep a Feep)...but no Timeline yet... = (

Edit: Never mind, got it. Took ten minutes for me = D

Mafro

edgefusion said:
A lot of the Open Graph stuff (Like Netflix and Spotify) they were showing off were apps and not actually integrated into the core Facebook. I'm not sure they mentioned an ETA but I'll bet they can't be far off after the profiles go live for everyone.
Oh I managed to get Spotify working. Clicked on "Music" under the apps tab then "Start listening" at the Spotify bit on the right.

Tek

timeline is pretty cool other than showing all of my wedding photos from my ex wife, I hid them from my profile but Timeline brought them back...LOL - needs some serious editing, but this is still pretty cool

So timeline's good, wasn't expecting something shite but expected bugs - seems to be fine on what it chose too.

Still think the sidebar and ticker ruins the lovely look of it.

Feep

Banned
JonathanEx said:
So timeline's good, wasn't expecting something shite but expected bugs - seems to be fine on what it chose too.

Still think the sidebar and ticker ruins the lovely look of it.
Which is why I hide the sidebar?

blahness

Mafro said:
Oh I managed to get Spotify working. Clicked on "Music" under the apps tab then "Start listening" at the Spotify bit on the right.

Thanks! looks like once it links up you dont have to start playing anything from facebook itself and it will pick up anything you play from the desktop client. It does not seem to pick up any music you listen to on the mobile app though.

pardon my ignorance, I set up an app and open graph about 20 minutes ago or so, but I'm not seeing the timeline notification anywhere-- where exactly will I find it?

brandonh83 said:
pardon my ignorance, I set up an app and open graph about 20 minutes ago or so, but I'm not seeing the timeline notification anywhere-- where exactly will I find it?
It was on my homepage. It should be at the top of the page.

sruckus

bob page said:
Poor Google+ team... they were struggling hard to keep up as it is, and after the past few days of Facebook updates, they're miles behind again.

I notice all the nerds/geeks/CS peeps I'm friends with on Facebook are always posting about how lame Facebook is and how Google+ is so awesome ON FACEBOOK. It's so cute they think it's going to take off. The google love has just started pissing me off lately. Google is not open.

kehs

Banned
xcrunner529 said:
I notice all the nerds/geeks/CS peeps I'm friends with on Facebook are always posting about how lame Facebook is and how Google+ is so awesome ON FACEBOOK. It's so cute they think it's going to take off. The google love has just started pissing me off lately. Google is not open.

I actually laughed when I heard Zuckerberg say how open facebook is.

jtb

Banned
Timeline is fucking beautiful. And smart too - had a giant banner thing pop up for my graduation + other life stories. Love it.

Question though - I got spotify integration to work, and it's amazing. But how about "reading" - how do I post that?

sruckus

the walrus said:
Timeline is fucking beautiful. And smart too - had a giant banner thing pop up for my graduation + other life stories. Love it.

Question though - I got spotify integration to work, and it's amazing. But how about "reading" - how do I post that?

Maybe that Goodreads app? I'm not sure what current apps look like w/the new layout since I can't get it yet apparently.

sruckus

JonathanEx said:
They both have APIs. One just isn't highly developed yet.

My bad. I didn't realize they finally released one (I knew it was the plan anyway).

Not sure how Google+ is at all more open than Facebook. Especially with their "real people" BS so they can make sure they have good data to mine on you.

kehs

Banned
xcrunner529 said:
My bad. I didn't realize they finally released one (I knew it was the plan anyway).

Not sure how Google+ is at all more open than Facebook. Especially with their "real people" BS so they can make sure they have good data to mine on you.

I wasn't comparing the two, I was laughing at Zuckenberg saying Facebook is open because not even the users who submitted data can use their data easily.

jtb

Banned
xcrunner529 said:
Maybe that Goodreads app? I'm not sure what current apps look like w/the new layout since I can't get it yet apparently.

The music integration is already built in - with or without new timeline feature. Try it with spotify/turntable/etc. and you'll see it. I remember they said that USA today was one of their partners - I hate USA today, but hopefully I can at least test out the feature to see if it works.

Top Bottom