• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TheBranca18 said:
Okay I'm digging this A LOT now. Being able to view things the way they have it presented is fifty times better than the current situation on facebook. Kudos Mark even though you're a smug fucktwat.
Pretty much my exact feelings. The cover picture is also genius even though its so simple, and sounds kind of stupid at first.

wwm0nkey

My current profile

2woyhd0.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I'm using the new timeline now, and will the normal news feed remain the same, and the timeline effects just your main profile or is it all together? Also I just spent an hour going through my timeline, and its amazing....crazy to see all the people and old relationships I forgot about...FB just leaped frogged everyone and this is the kind of stuff that will keep people from ever moving to a rival platform.

Feep

Banned
Is this new? Top of the news feed now has a "jump to recent stories" option, hopefully placating the haters.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
hEist said:
does the streaming thing, also works with last.fm?
when yes, where do i need to enable it?
Get spotify

Scrobble to Last.fm(in Edit-> Preferences)

Also add your own music(Local Files) in Preferences

Is there a list of any other must-have apps out there? The only one I have is Spotify, which is great. I guess Hulu and Netflix are in there too?

Anything else worth granting access to my page?

Pachimari

I got the new Timeline design, but why is is, that the timezone isn't right? It says I uploaded a photo 21 hours ago, while I uploaded it 3 hours ago... Can anyone help with this one?

Im reading through this thread.

Some people are like "this is a stalkers dream"

Really? Where were you people in 2005 when you could search for people that lived on the 8th floor of your dorm?

Or do a search for:
Class of 2009
Female
Big Dorm Building

Now thats what I called stalking.

It was also a good way to meet people.

"Oh shit, hot girl in my Math 101 class"

Search: Females taking Math 101, Section B3.

There she is!

?oe?oe

All Cover Photos (the folder) are set as public and cannot be made private.

Even though everything on my profile is private, according to 'view as public', stuff like public events I attended are shown.

Feep

Banned
jamesinclair said:

Really? Where were you people in 2005 when you could search for people that lived on the 8th floor of your dorm?

Or do a search for:
Class of 2009
Female
Big Dorm Building

There she is!
(laugh) I kinda miss this, you know?

/creep

buhdeh

jamesinclair said:

Or do a search for:
Class of 2009
Female
Big Dorm Building

There she is!

Facebook was awesome back then. It was my first year of undergrad too. Good times.

Leaked iPad app was trash, so I don't care about it. I stopped using Android/iOS Facebook apps as I haven't found a single one I like. The official apps have a huge problem with always on chat, which is a giant dealbreaker for me. I can't believe they still haven't fixed it.

judhudson

Dunno if it has been asked but here goes.

I love the new timeline, it looks fantastic. But I hardly ever look at my own profile (or others, for that fact). I'm usually on the HOME page which lists my friends list, friend's status updates, recent stories, birthdays, etc. Has their been any mention of this page getting a redesign like the Timeline? It's just strange to see something look so nice (the profile) only to go back to see the old Facebook design (HOME).

Enco

Lagspike_exe said:
Leaked iPad app was trash, so I don't care about it. I stopped using Android/iOS Facebook apps as I haven't found a single one I like. The official apps have a huge problem with always on chat, which is a giant dealbreaker for me. I can't believe they still haven't fixed it.
Facebook Messenger.

Awesome app.

judhudson said:
Dunno if it has been asked but here goes.

I love the new timeline, it looks fantastic. But I hardly ever look at my own profile (or others, for that fact). I'm usually on the HOME page which lists my friends list, friend's status updates, recent stories, birthdays, etc. Has their been any mention of this page getting a redesign like the Timeline? It's just strange to see something look so nice (the profile) only to go back to see the old Facebook design (HOME).

Main page upgrade got deployed yesterday.

Enco said:
Facebook Messenger.

Awesome app.

Doesn't it have always on chat as well? Chat and messages have been integrated some time ago.

Lagspike_exe said:
Doesn't it have always on chat as well? Chat and messages have been integrated some time ago.
Sort of, always on but shown differently. You'll show up on the chat sidebar with a mobile icon rather than the green dot.

Mik2121

Lagspike_exe said:
Main page upgrade got deployed yesterday.
Is it meant to look like the timeline thing? Because the timeline page looks great, but the default page on facebook is just a mess...

Mik2121 said:
Is it meant to look like the timeline thing? Because the timeline page looks great, but the default page on facebook is just a mess...

It's more like an upgrade to the previous design rather than a whole new, timeline-style thing. They added "Top stories" and cluttered the stream with them, and made some graphics look a little bit sleeker. Nothing big.

judhudson

Mik2121 said:

This. If the default page is going to continue to look like this for awhile, is there a Firefox plugin where I can change the look of it to make it a little more cleaner (I thought something similar was done with something called GreaseMonkey or something when DinoGAF was spreading around this forum)

woodchuck

timeline is HOT. god damn. they have some great designers at facebook. love it.

It's seriously wanting to make me go to old photo albums and scan them so I don't have any gaps before 2005 when I got facebook.

artist

Banned
judhudson said:
This. If the default page is going to continue to look like this for awhile, is there a Firefox plugin where I can change the look of it to make it a little more cleaner (I thought something similar was done with something called GreaseMonkey or something when DinoGAF was spreading around this forum)
There's this for Chrome users; Minimalist for Facebook. Works great.

Higgy

I don't get the Spotify app. I added the app though Facebook but it doesn't show anywhere but under the music tab and when I hit play on a group of artists it has picked it launches Spotify outside the browser. Why shouldn't I just launch it myself before I even get to Facebook? I don't get taking this extra step. If it was built directly in the browser I would get it. Is it just to share playlist with friends?

Mik2121

Lagspike_exe said:
It's more like an upgrade to the previous design rather than a whole new, timeline-style thing. They added "Top stories" and cluttered the stream with them, and made some graphics look a little bit sleeker. Nothing big.
So... they decided to make one page look nice and clean, with a brand new design.. and the other just an old-looking ugly mess, huh? That sounds about right for Facebook, yep...

sruckus

Guys, remember when the newsfeed/minifeed first came about and everyone called it the stalker feed, flipped out, made groups, etc.? It just makes me laugh at people complaining at every little change now because frankly, it completely changed how we use Facebook and most probably can't even imagine how it was before or what we did.

GCX

Mik2121 said:
So... they decided to make one page look nice and clean, with a brand new design.. and the other just an old-looking ugly mess, huh? That sounds about right for Facebook, yep...
They'll probably upgrade the feed later. Updating the whole design of a site with 500 million daily users isn't that simple.

saelz8

Higgy said:
I don't get the Spotify app. I added the app though Facebook but it doesn't show anywhere but under the music tab and when I hit play on a group of artists it has picked it launches Spotify outside the browser. Why shouldn't I just launch it myself before I even get to Facebook? I don't get taking this extra step. If it was built directly in the browser I would get it. Is it just to share playlist with friends?
Privacy Settings > Apps & Websites (Edit Settings) > Apps You Use (Edit Settings) X (Remove Spotify)

Homepage > Apps (Left of News Feed) > Music > Featured Music Services (Right Side) > Start Listening.

Basically, Spotify seems to have a problem migrating to Open Graph, so you have to remove the app, then re-add it.

Ok I have a timeline, I was very impressed in the show, way less so now I'm trying it out.

It was never going to be something I'd use much myself, since I like to be in total control of what I publish, I don't want everyone to know every detail of my life, and I'm not interested in seeing other people's, the Philosophy of Google+ and Twitter suit me much better.

The performance on the site is absolute garbage on my netbook, really unusable. And the site still looks extremely cluttered once the ads and sidebar are in there.

l1geh

Banned
Is there any reason the there´s still no ticker in my sidebar?

(Could be because I´m in Germany, but I´m not sure..)

Also: This feels wrong.
nSWFg.png

To anyone who tried the new timeline, did you have time to play with the privacy settings?
How much control does it give you, and what kind of contents can you limit/hide from others?

Also, yeah, I have no idea what to use as cover either... Any suggestion?

Frester

I'm not one to complain about Facebook a lot as it's a free service you choose to use, etc. but I really hate the changes made for untagging pictures. You used to be able to just click "untag" but now for every picture it's a process. No, I don't want to report or block my friends, that picture just sucks!

Higgy

saelz8 said:
Privacy Settings > Apps & Websites (Edit Settings) > Apps You Use (Edit Settings) X (Remove Spotify)

Homepage > Apps (Left of News Feed) > Music > Featured Music Services (Right Side) > Start Listening.

Basically, Spotify seems to have a problem migrating to Open Graph, so you have to remove the app, then re-add it.

Thank you!

Top Bottom