• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

jtb

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:
I'm diggin timeline, not sure what to use for a cover photo yet.

ogyzia.jpg

Dabanton said:
How do you get Spotify working gents?

Go to spotify homepage, sign up again, and it should ask you if you want to connect your existing account with your facebook account. That's what it did for me, at least. But then again, my spotify and facebook accounts were practically the same, so it may not recognize it immediatley. have you already connected to Facebook through Spotify pre-timeline?

Dabanton

the walrus said:
Go to spotify homepage, sign up again, and it should ask you if you want to connect your existing account with your facebook account. That's what it did for me, at least. But then again, my spotify and facebook accounts were practically the same, so it may not recognize it immediatley. have you already connected to Facebook through Spotify pre-timeline?

Yeah i was already signed up. I'll wait and see if any changes happen.

blahness said:
Left side of wall page you should see an apps section. Click Music and then you should see a spotify selection on the right.

Ah cool it's working thanks man. :)

blahness said:
Left side of wall page you should see an apps section. Click Music and then you should see a spotify selection on the right.
Neat. I really like the timeline and these new app auto-updates.

bob page

I love it.

I like how you can add custom statuses/milestones/etc. to past points in time. Definitely a lot of new things going on here that can't be found in other sites.

Tek

anyone figure out how to limit who sees what? previous people who had limited access to my profile can now see all of it

fisheyes

xcrunner529 said:
I'd imagine most people (probably me too) will use sports teams photos, athletes, music artists, etc.

I imagine that there will be a hell of a lot of people - basically those ones that change their profile pic every ten minutes - using it for yet another space to put a picture of themselves. Maybe with some lens flair or something.

I'm in Australia, mine hasn't updated yet. Disappointing, I could have used yet another distraction from uni work.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How do I activate Timeline? I clicked Sign Up but nothing.

BigJonsson said:
My facebook hasn't updated to anything new this week, why does it hate me?

Me either, I don't know how this stuff works. I never got that status scroll bar thing people were talking about for the last couple weeks either.

Edit: I got a slight upgrade the other day where my name is in the upper right corner and there's "top stories". That's about it though.

Things just got interesting in the world of Social Networks.

I think the layouts nice but I think it's been designed by a group of people who are nostalgic about Facebook.

I don't think it solves the problems with Facebook, I think it just highlights the positive ie: Facebook has collated information about the last 5 or so years of your life. (if you see that as a positive) For current activity I believe Twitter is the style Facebook should emulate, collating similar opinion and delivering that to the user.

Jzero

Timeline is not so bad but customization always makes people look like douches with the pictures they choose.

jtb

Banned
travisbickle said:
Things just got interesting in the world of Social Networks.

I think the layouts nice but I think it's been designed by a group of people who are nostalgic about Facebook.

I don't think it solves the problems with Facebook, I think it just highlights the positive ie: Facebook has collated information about the last 5 or so years of your life. (if you see that as a positive) For current activity I believe Twitter is the style Facebook should emulate, collating similar opinion and delivering that to the user.

I think that's kind of the point - if Facebook built a social network based on fixing their weaknesses, the end product would be Google+. Instead, they've focused on the positives - and really built on their biggest advantage over everyone else which is the fact that literally EVERYONE is one facebook. That's huge.

At this point, if you want twitter - they're saying, go for it. Use Twitter. You want privacy settings, use Google+. You want Facebook - but even more powerful and easy to use than ever before? Then... that's what Facebook is for. They're not really attempting to replace or compete with them, but more retrench themselves as the social network.

Really impressed by timeline. Only thing about it is that you sorta have to be public about a bunch of shit for it to look all cool and filled out.

Feep

Banned
MadraptorMan said:
What happened to Facebook Music? That was the only thing I was excited for...was it a no-show?
No, it's here, man. I've been listening to Spotify all day and it all shows up on Facebook. Or I can listen to it all directly through Facebook's UI, but I prefer Spotify. Look on the left, under Apps.

Munin

The problem I see with the timeline thing: It certainly looks sexy and seems a nice way to present your info to others. But it just doesn't seem as easy and comprehensible when it comes to quickly checking on a friend / posting on his wall, you know, just everyday use.

artist

Banned
Just went back to the inception of my time spent on Facebook "X joined Facebook" and scrolled up from there on, nostalgia am over me now.

Anyone else feel the same?

FatCat

I've been looking through the presentations and all but there's one thing I don't get with the new layout: do you have a wall where people can write on your page?

Munin said:
The problem I see with the timeline thing: It certainly looks sexy and seems a nice way to present your info to others. But it just doesn't seem as easy and comprehensible when it comes to quickly checking on a friend / posting on his wall, you know, just everyday use.
??? Where is the difficulty in posting on another's wall?

Tim-E

Loving Timeline, the first thing Facebook's done in a while that I've been genuinely happy and impressed with. I'm losing the evening being nostalgic and reading through my digital life from the last six years. For my cover I have a picture of my wife and I on our wedding day.

Feep

Banned
What sucks is that I joined Facebook so early that Facebook doesn't seem to know the exact date. Someone posted on my Wall in March of 2005, but it doesn't say anything about account creation. = (

RDreamer

Have a really weird anomaly in my timeline. It has my engaged date right, and my married date right, but then it has me engaged to my wife again after the married status, but on the same day. And I can't seem to delete that weird one.

LogicStep

The pictures posted here are what facebook is going to look like soon? If so it looks amazing but I wonder if people are going to bitch about it hits.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
RDreamer said:
Have a really weird anomaly in my timeline. It has my engaged date right, and my married date right, but then it has me engaged to my wife again after the married status, but on the same day. And I can't seem to delete that weird one.

something something shamalyan

GCX

zazrx said:
The pictures posted here are what facebook is going to look like soon? If so it looks amazing but I wonder if people are going to bitch about it hits.
Everyone will get the new profile during the next few weeks.

It looks a billion times better than the old design so people who will complain just fail to see what a cluttered mess the current design is.

jtb

Banned
?oe?oe said:
I've tried many times. But I'm still not getting the invite!

go to your home page/news feed, NOT your profile page. Refresh there - should get it after a couple minutes.

Also, has anyone tried the Washington Post Social Reader? I like it. Good newspaper replacement... it's got the right look/feel that I want from a facebook news reader.

Top Bottom