• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The more I play with Timeline the more I like it. Especially since the Cover feature gave me this idea:

27ywi0j.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks great at the top of my profile.

Only complaint is that Timeline can be slow to navigate if you're working back far. Also, some stories keep reappearing even though I've tried to get them not to show up, and I can't get some stories to show up no matter how many times I try the star button.

saelz8 said:
Privacy Settings > Apps & Websites (Edit Settings) > Apps You Use (Edit Settings) X (Remove Spotify)

Homepage > Apps (Left of News Feed) > Music > Featured Music Services (Right Side) > Start Listening.

Basically, Spotify seems to have a problem migrating to Open Graph, so you have to remove the app, then re-add it.

I'm not really sure what it's doing... Mine goes straight to playing a Michael Jackson song, it doesn't 'share' on my timeline or anything.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
whats weird about the lost a loved one thing? if you're gonna have "your story" on facebook wouldn't that be an important part of your life if you lost a loved one?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
davepoobond said:
whats weird about the lost a loved one thing? if you're gonna have "your story" on facebook wouldn't that be an important part of your life if you lost a loved one?
Just actively taking the time out to go on the internet and log this sad event in your life.

Not forgetting to mention that FB is all about positivity considering there is no dislike button.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Plywood said:
Just actively taking the time out to go on the internet and log this sad event in your life.

Not forgetting to mention that FB is all about positivity considering there is no dislike button.

considering it would be counteractive to the whole timeline thing to just "exclude" anything that may have been unfortunate in your past, i still don't see why its all that weird.

there is no dislike button because they're letting apps take care of it now apparently

So when does this stuff go live? I thought they said it was launching yesterday and this strange Developer app thing doesn't really sound like a launch.

saelz8

I don't like how it has recommended subscriptions within each persons Timeline. They likened the new profile to being your house online, yet they are injecting people recommendations. It seems to contradict that philosophy. The recommended users should be a Homepage only deal.

Hello GAF.

I participated in a "Game cover Photography contest" @TrueGaming on facebook and the winner wins by how many votes for his picture, for 2 day i got 110 votes which its about Dead Rising 2 but there is some one who got 100 votes in 7 hours by manipulating the voting system not to vote for the best picture but to support his lame picture (RE4 with GUNS), there is a huge difference in how much effort and time put in the pictures, so i talked the mods there to see the manipulation but they replied : bring more friends to vote.

So I call my fellow gamers here to vote, and I want you to vote for the better picture because i won't even compare between my pictures and his, YOU DECIDE.

How to VOTE
1 - Go to TrueGaming Page on facebook.
2 - Allow the App and Like it (and keep the like so the vote will count) you can remove it and unlike it later when the contest is finished.
3 - On the Left click on [N2V Logo Contest]
4 - Then look for a picture about Dead Rising 2 that full of Zombies and Cooking Mama(Cooking) and Alan Wake.
5 - Just click on VOTE as صوت its a green botton.
6 - Done :*­­

its might be hard since the App is in Arabic.. but I guess you will figure it out.

Here is my links of my work.
Dead Rising 2:
http://apps.facebook.com/ntwovcontes...11/images/5633

Cooking Mama:
http://apps.facebook.com/ntwovcontes...11/images/5642

Alan Wake:
http://apps.facebook.com/ntwovcontes...11/images/5653

And this is his work:
http://apps.facebook.com/ntwovcontes...11/images/5665

One thing that I don't like is if you post something like a photo to your timeline, it looks different there than it does to the news feed. So on my wall, the picture was easy to tell what was going on but because they changed it for the news feed it was harder to see.

Firestorm

Professor Beef said:
It just never occurred to me to think "hey, I should ask how many people on gaf use facebook" before. I only really use it to talk to my irl friends who don't live near me anymore.
Well, you don't really have to. Most people are on Facebook. GAFffers are people so most GAFfers are also probably on Facebook =P

Vgamer

Argh I still don't even have the ticker that was launched a few days ago on my facebook. Does anyone else here still not have it?

Vgamer said:
Argh I still don't even have the ticker that was launched a few days ago on my facebook. Does anyone else here still not have it?
I don't have it. I don't even have the "new" chat with all the offline contacts on the right yet.

Spent about an hour last night perfecting my timeline with starring actual important events in my life and deleting crap. It is very cool. Here is mine right now:

XU1AH.jpg

golem

The life events I'm adding aren't sticking to the Map though they show up in the timeline.. hopefully that gets fixed.

I don't think I'm gonna go back and add life events, simply because nothing major has happened yet, but this will be neat going into the future.

Man this just makes me want to take a shitload more photographs and makes me even more excited about an upcoming 8MP camera in the new iPhone.

Enco

Facebook is awesome right now. Having everyone split into groups that are easy to access is great. I also love the upcoming timeline profile change and the approval process for tagging. They're doing pretty well I think.

I'm trying to get that cover art to work but the dimensions are making it impossible. Anyone know what I should resize it to? The guessing is making it a real pain.

Korey

Tkawsome said:
I'm trying to get that cover art to work but the dimensions are making it impossible. Anyone know what I should resize it to? The guessing is making it a real pain.
Right click the cover image on your profile and click "View image info", it should tell you the dimensions. Can you post it here?

Based on the other images uploaded here I'm guessing 850 x 315?

Jzero

Tkawsome said:
facebook resizes the images for you. i uploaded a 1920 x 1200 image with no problem.

Phoenix4

Korey said:
What are the dimensions for the cover image? And is the cover image separate from photos?
Looked it up this morning and it's supposed to be 851 by 315.

The image i uploaded looked a little blurry though, while it's been resized from a sharp picture of 4mb (jpeg). Or should i take some tgings into account when resizing an image to retain sharpness?

Korey

People with the Spotify app, so does it post every single song you play? Won't that spam people's tickers? Also, what happens if you listen to the same song on repeat, does it keep posting the same song?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Korey said:
People with the Spotify app, so does it post every single song you play? Won't that spam people's tickers? Also, what happens if you listen to the same song on repeat, does it keep posting the same song?
Yes it does.
Don't know.
Yes it does.

You can set spotify to not publish to timeline but then I think you'll have to manually share it to facebook with each new song.

Finally got it. Had to photoshop the image to get it to fit correctly. I'm not finding those dimensions very friendly, maybe I just got unlucky with the couple of images I tried.

bluehat9

I still don't even have the ticker on my page. That was launched totally separate and before the whole timeline conference, wasn't it?

timeline is creepy (yeah, i know it was all there before), the page is still cluttered and looks quite one sided without the sidebar up... but i think i like it. i... i think i like the new facebook design.

showed my sister who isn't tech-savvy at all and she said 'wow. looks like myspace.'

QyhNK.jpg

Shurs said:
I don't think anyone on my Friends List uses a banner.

How do you even enable one?

No one would yet, cause it is only enabled for Developers right because it is a feature with the new Timeline.

Korey

Ad Infinitum said:
showed my sister who isn't tech-savvy at all and she said 'wow. looks like myspace.'
This is what I'm afraid of. I'm going to predict that Facebook tones down the implementation of the cover image in some way in the following years.

So uh, I got the notification for the Timeline, was going through the little tour, accidentally backed out and I'm back to my default profile... and now I can't find how to go back to the Timeline. -_-

Halp?

Revolutionary said:
So uh, I got the notification for the Timeline, was going through the little tour, accidentally backed out and I'm back to my default profile... and now I can't find how to go back to the Timeline. -_-

Halp?

I had the same problem. Maybe click on your profile name in the top right. That worked for me.

Tkawsome said:
I had the same problem. Maybe click on your profile name in the top right. That worked for me.
Nope, kept showing me my default profile.

However, I did fix it. I think it was because I deleted the dummy app I made as soon as I got the Timeline notification, because making another dummy app reenabled it. Thanks anyway!

Top Bottom