• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

E-phonk

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
and I do not have a ticker? I didn't even realize people had a ticker until I noticed my wifes facebook.. WTF
Not everybody is on the same version of facebook. The ticker version is one of the more recent versions (together with video chat, revised rules on what goes into the news feed etc).

Seems your account is on a server that is not yet "upgraded" to the new version.

Munin

Quick question - if I hide my friends list, does that also mean that people who add me and who I have mutual friends with will in fact not see that we have mutual friends?

Mik2121

Did you guys get already the timeline? I'm still waiting.. :p (though I don't really care much because I never visit Facebook..)

S.Dedalus

ramyeon said:
So since early today nothing I share (Videos, tagged photos etc) is showing up on my Timeline. They show in the news feed (Which they sometimes haven't been doing recently) but not on my page itself :/

Mine started doing the same thing yesterday. I got tagged in a note, and someone posted on my timeline. I got the notifications, and if I went through the notifications, I could see them. But they didn't show up on my actual timeline until a day later. And the same just happened this morning: I posted a status and people have even been commenting on it, but it's not on my timeline yet.

Pachimari

I just noticed this now as well. Just posted a status update, but it's nowhere to be found on my Timeline. Do you guys know, if there's any way to disable the Timeline again?

S.Dedalus

I think when I enabled it, there was some warning about how you can't revert back to the old profile once you've got the timeline. So, I guess these are just glitches that they'll have to work out before they start rolling it out to the plebs (whenever that ends up being).

Swag

If you want to remove Timeline from your facebook, all you need to do is go back into the developer page and delete the application you used to get in, then relog into Facebook and it'll be gone.

Gilgamesh

Why is Facebook so resistant to just letting me view a feed of my friends' status updates? It seems like every update they remove a way to do it and then when I find another way they make an update removing that one. I can't even switch to status updates only on my phone app anymore. :/

Pachimari

Sebulon3k said:
If you want to remove Timeline from your facebook, all you need to do is go back into the developer page and delete the application you used to get in, then relog into Facebook and it'll be gone.
Thanks, just did it. =)

I don't understand why they've shit the bed so badly on this timeline update. First they've delayed it in getting out to people, now its behaving in a malfunctioning / delayed way. I actually like it btw, I think it looks great.... what's all this about a ticker though, I'm not sure I know what you guys mean?

I just noticed that I couldn't change my profile pic from the Android app, yet I can from m.facebook.com -- what the hell is that all about?

MIMIC

Banned
Does anyone even care about Timeline anymore? Certainly lost it's appeal with me and I don't even have it yet, lol. Just gonna be another "oh wow, latest update has arrived"

Pachimari

What's going on with Facebook?

I have the old chat, no Ticker and friends who are online on the left side. =/

Edit: Oh wow, the Ticker has been integrated into the white background..

?oe?oe

They've added a "sort" option on the news feed. So you can choose if you want 'Highlight Stories' or 'Recent Stories' to appear first on your feed.

Quick

Banned
So, someone decided to use my e-mail address as their log-in for their Facebook account. I'm now receiving all of their notifications. This is annoying as fuck. I sent the guy a message, asking him to change his log-in e-mail to something else because he's using mine, and he's not responding, but I know there's activity since I keep getting his shit, and he tried to add me as a friend (which he quickly removed).

I tried pressing "unsubscribe" to the e-mail notifications, but it requires me to log into his account.

Any suggestions on my next course of action? Any way to report something like this to Facebook? I looked at the Help Center, and there doesn't seem to be anything that could help me. And they don't have any sort of e-mail address or report form I could fill out.

Jzero

Quick said:
So, someone decided to use my e-mail address as their log-in for their Facebook account. I'm now receiving all of their notifications. This is annoying as fuck. I sent the guy a message, asking him to change his log-in e-mail to something else because he's using mine, and he's not responding, but I know there's activity since I keep getting his shit, and he tried to add me as a friend (which he quickly removed).

I tried pressing "unsubscribe" to the e-mail notifications, but it requires me to log into his account.

Any suggestions on my next course of action? Any way to report something like this to Facebook? I looked at the Help Center, and there doesn't seem to be anything that could help me. And they don't have any sort of e-mail address or report form I could fill out.
I'm assuming you don't have your own account right?

Quick

Banned
Jzero15 said:
I'm assuming you don't have your own account right?

I do, actually. I use another e-mail as my log-in for it.

And just to add: I know he's using my e-mail exactly also because I got a notification saying he received my message.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Quick said:

I'd just reset the password, get it sent to your email, then delete his account :p there's a reason why you don't use someone else's email and they should learn that fact

Jzero

Quick said:
I do, actually. I use another e-mail as my log-in for it.

And just to add: I know he's using my e-mail exactly also because I got a notification saying he received my message.
okay well just log out of your account and go to https://www.facebook.com/recover.php and put the email that he is using and it should send you a request to change or reset your password and you can fuck around with his account haha

Edit: damn it beaten >:eek:

Quick

Banned
Jzero15 said:
okay well just log out of you account and go to https://www.facebook.com/recover.php and put the email that he is using and it should send you a request to change or reset your password and you can fuck around with his account haha

I did think about this, but I'm not a dick. All the information I need for it is actually readily available.

And fucking hell, I just got another notification, which is telling him that I sent him a message (which I did a few minutes ago).

EDIT: If I do decide to delete the account, I feel like he'd report me. Or start it up again using my e-mail (again).

Jzero

Quick said:
I did think about this, but I'm not a dick. All the information I need for it is actually readily available.

And fucking hell, I just got another notification, which is telling him that I sent him a message (which I did a few minutes ago).
Well if he doesn't reply it means he doesn't give a shit so you shouldn't either. Same thing happened to me in the Myspace days and i had no choice.

Quick

Banned
Jzero15 said:
Well if he doesn't reply it means he doesn't give a shit so you shouldn't either. Same thing happened to me in the Myspace days and i had no choice.

Well, I guess I could just delete the account if he doesn't reply or do as I asked by tomorrow.

And it wasn't like I was threatening him on my messages. I asked politely.

Jzero

Quick said:
Well, I guess I could just delete the account if he doesn't reply or do as I asked by tomorrow.

And it wasn't like I was threatening him on my messages. I asked politely.
people swear it's extremely difficult to make an email address.

Quick

Banned
Just did a search to see if he's recovered or started up a new account, and he's back on doing either recovery or started a new one. In any case, done and done.

Thanks, GAF!

Jake.

for the last 4-5 days, i haven't been able to edit the quotations/philosophy or sports section of my profile. is this happening to anyone else? when i go to click 'save', it just goes blank and doesn't actually save the change.

Jzero

Jake. said:
for the last 4-5 days, i haven't been able to edit the quotations/philosophy or sports section of my profile. is this happening to anyone else? when i go to click 'save', it just goes blank and doesn't actually save the change.
just tried it and it works for me.

Jake.

i don't know what the fuck is happening. have tried different browsers and it doesn't make a difference; i can edit every other section too.

Gav

Anyone have any ideas as to why my timeline isnt up to date?

When i click to my page, the last update on there is 8th November. But ive posted plenty since then. Slightly odd.

I want the Cover page / Timeline update to fucking get here already. I'm tired of having the new layout and doing cool shit to it that none of my friends can see. Someone took a really badass picture of me on Halloween and I wanted it as my cover picture, but she hasn't edited all the photos and wants to put them up as a set, so I had to explain the whole Timeline/Cover Picture bullshit to her just to let me have the picture - and nobody can see it but me! Fucking hell. (It looks waaay badass though)

WordAssassin said:
I want the Cover page / Timeline update to fucking get here already. I'm tired of having the new layout and doing cool shit to it that none of my friends can see. Someone took a really badass picture of me on Halloween and I wanted it as my cover picture, but she hasn't edited all the photos and wants to put them up as a set, so I had to explain the whole Timeline/Cover Picture bullshit to her just to let me have the picture - and nobody can see it but me! Fucking hell. (It looks waaay badass though)
At least you have the ticker. Some people still don't.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's now a bit ridiculous the number of sites and services requiring logins and the attendant backlash. i was checking out a new iPad app last week and the earky reviews were mostly one stars for requiring a login via Facebook. I stopped by the developer's site and the complainers had gotten there as well. Some people really don't like Facebook... Is there a service for getting throwaway facebook accounts? Something like mailinator or bugmenot?

Jzero

Kad5 said:
Is anybody seeing nude photos appear on their news feed?
if a friend likes it or comments on it and it's a public image it may show up on your news feed. I saw one where a chick was giving a BJ and they "censored" it by covering their privates with bacon haha

Entropia

No One Remembers
Greyface said:
It's now a bit ridiculous the number of sites and services requiring logins and the attendant backlash. i was checking out a new iPad app last week and the earky reviews were mostly one stars for requiring a login via Facebook. I stopped by the developer's site and the complainers had gotten there as well. Some people really don't like Facebook... Is there a service for getting throwaway facebook accounts? Something like mailinator or bugmenot?

Yeah. I really dislike the direction that Facebook is almost a passport to be able to use some web services nowadays. I will not use any site/service that requires me to login with Facebook to use. If they have the option I'll create an account specifically for that site.

Top Bottom