• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it just me or are thumbnail previews no longer attached to videos (video URLs pasted into the status update text box, at least)?

JaseC said:
Is it just me or are thumbnail previews no longer attached to videos (video URLs pasted into the status update text box, at least)?
That happens from time to time with me. It's a notorious bug. I'm using Firefox. When it happens, I just post the status update in Internet Explorer instead and the thumbnail preview happens to work. But it's kinda random.

BeeDog

I've been wondering; can I limit my photos/pictures I'm tagged in so as not to be viewable by certain persons on my friends list?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BeeDog said:
I've been wondering; can I limit my photos/pictures I'm tagged in so as not to be viewable by certain persons on my friends list?

Yes. Click on the picture in question. Look for the option -- on the bottom right, I think -- that says "remove tag." This will also remove the image from your "photos of BeeDog" as well as those little square thumbnails at the top of your regular page.

JaseC said:
In my (limited) experience I find the thumbnail previews for anything take a while to show up. As in I hit post without the thumbnail then check the page later and its there.

BeeDog

PantherLotus said:
Yes. Click on the picture in question. Look for the option -- on the bottom right, I think -- that says "remove tag." This will also remove the image from your "photos of BeeDog" as well as those little square thumbnails at the top of your regular page.

Maybe I'm misreading you, but I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to remove my tag on a picture, I want to limit certain people from viewing ALL my pictures. Is that possible?

Jzero

BeeDog said:
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I think you misunderstood me. I don't want to remove my tag on a picture, I want to limit certain people from viewing ALL my pictures. Is that possible?
On a tagged picture no unless the person who tagged you limits who sees it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
BeeDog said:

Yes, that's possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DiipuSurotu said:
That happens from time to time with me. It's a notorious bug. I'm using Firefox. When it happens, I just post the status update in Internet Explorer instead and the thumbnail preview happens to work. But it's kinda random.
Starwolf_UK said:
In my (limited) experience I find the thumbnail previews for anything take a while to show up. As in I hit post without the thumbnail then check the page later and its there.

I tried both but, as it turns out, I have to use the youtu.be URL instead of the typical youtube.com URL for video thumbnails to show, as I instead get either nothing or an image of a captcha. Strange, as I've never had to do that before.

Munin said:
Quick question - if I hide my friends list, does that also mean that people who add me and who I have mutual friends with will in fact not see that we have mutual friends?
how do I hide my friendslist? i've seen some people do it but never found out how :(

Man, I have no clue how to work this site anymore.

Every update just makes it more confusing. I'm trying to upload some pictures for a specific crowd and have no clue how to limit it to specific groups/people. I'm trying to figure out these "lists", but I can't see where I can change the privacy settings on them. I remember they also had a section that allowed me to type in names to see how they viewed my page, but I can't find it since the update.

Also, what's the difference between groups and lists?

Edit: Well I think I figured out how to limit people. It was hidden three windows deep. Still not sure if I'm doing it right though.

shira

Does a Facebook tracking program exist?

By tracking program I mean an app or something that tells you who visits your page. I thought the whole point of facebook was there was no way to track who visits your page.

My friends of friends in Korea have rankings of top visitors to their page and stats like male/female visitors.

Does a Facebook tracking program exist?

By tracking program I mean an app or something that tells you who visits your page. I thought the whole point of facebook was there was no way to track who visits your page.

My friends of friends in Korea have rankings of top visitors to their page and stats like male/female visitors.

As far as I know it doesn't. These rankings are most likely based on the people who comment on these profiles rather than the people who simply visit them.

Raiden

Banned
Is there any way to control what friends it shows on your list to the right of the screen? I have my regular friends that i have contact with. And then some random people who i never even chatted or commented on their wall.

How does it decide who is there or not?

Is there any way to control what friends it shows on your list to the right of the screen? I have my regular friends that i have contact with. And then some random people who i never even chatted or commented on their wall.

How does it decide who is there or not?
That is called the ticker if I'm not mistaken (given how most of the UK had a heart attack over the lists and the new news feed in like 2 days of each other I think Facebook is holding anything else back from us). I think posts set to friends of friends is can cause posts from people you don't know showing up but yeah I've heard its a bit obnoxious and intrusive in the way you describe.

It used to be in the crap days when profiles had apps running on them there were certainly some like that but I think the ones you describe are more like who likes your post the most kind of things.

shira

That is called the ticker if I'm not mistaken (given how most of the UK had a heart attack over the lists and the new news feed in like 2 days of each other I think Facebook is holding anything else back from us). I think posts set to friends of friends is can cause posts from people you don't know showing up but yeah I've heard its a bit obnoxious and intrusive in the way you describe.
No, its definitely visits not posts. And its not the ticker.

How do you track posts? Maybe I should try this and see how the Korean thing is different

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
When is timeline supposed to be rolled out?

At this point, I don't really even care. Facebook's changes have never bothered me and in most cases they've been quite positive, but this new profile layout feels like a misfire in terms of overall implementation and timing. I know for a while people were saying that it depended on what part of the country you were in (or something to that effect) but I know people just down the street who are on the same ISP as me who got the timeline months ago, and yet I've never seen a single new thing, from the ticker to timeline to different chat... It's just weird.

At this point, I don't really even care. Facebook's changes have never bothered me and in most cases they've been quite positive, but this new profile layout feels like a misfire in terms of overall implementation and timing. I know for a while people were saying that it depended on what part of the country you were in (or something to that effect) but I know people just down the street who are on the same ISP as me who got the timeline months ago, and yet I've never seen a single new thing, from the ticker to timeline to different chat... It's just weird.

I'm definitely with you. I already have the timeline (loathe it), but I need to know when to anticipate my news feed blowing up with complaints.

I don't understand the friends I have that do PUBLIC on their status updates. I never reply to any of them, because I don't want my response to be public as well. It's so weird. Get a twitter account or something.

Jzero

I don't understand the friends I have that do PUBLIC on their status updates. I never reply to any of them, because I don't want my response to be public as well. It's so weird. Get a twitter account or something.
They may want someone who isn't their friend to see the status.

I'm currently struggling with FB's privacy setting. Say I want to post a youtube video on my own wall and I have the liberty to choose who can view it. Thing is that if I tag person X, then X's friends will also get to see the video right?

Also, if I post a video on my friend's wall, I can't find the "gear" button for me to customize the post view setting. All I can see is that after I posted the video, the "gear" indicates it as "shared with: custom", what does it mean by "custom"? The video can only viewed by my friend and me or that also include all of her friends in her network?

It seems like the only way for me and my friend to view the same content is through "messaging". But that sucks FB experience a lot though.

You could just set the post view setting to person X only rather than tagging them.

The targeted person might miss my post right? Assuming that I posted something which is viewable only by me and my friend but somehow she's not accessible to FB for few days, my post would be washed away by her other latest news feeds.

Why can't people just use Google+ :|

Holy shit, now I know why I still don't have the ticker:

Why don't I see ticker on my account?

Ticker only shows up for people with a certain level of account activity. If you don't see ticker, it's probably because you don't use Facebook a lot, so there's not enough content to make ticker useful to you.

foreveralonebuthappy.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah did the news feed on the right disappear for everyone?

If you uploaded the pic, yes. If you didnt no, youll have to untag yourself.

If tis your picture, click it, then below it, it says "shared with friends" (or what your default setting is).

Then click edit, and custom, and you can create a list of certain people.

Oh well in the U.S at least. Oh and New Zealand got it first than anyone.

Not here it hasnt (California)

Jzero

If you uploaded the pic, yes. If you didnt no, youll have to untag yourself.

If tis your picture, click it, then below it, it says "shared with friends" (or what your default setting is).

Then click edit, and custom, and you can create a list of certain people.

Not here it hasnt (California)
i'm in Cali as well. It rolls out so not everyone gets it at the same time. The same thing happened with the ticker.

Pachimari

I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark (Scandinavia) and I just got the Timeline design officially. But others in the same city haven't gotten it yet. So I guess it's totally random.
I asked my cousins in Spain, there's nothing there yet.

Pachimari

Actually, I think it's those who have participated as a developer, who will get the Timeline first. Because the family members in our house doesn't have the Timeline, even though I do. And only one friend (who also participated as a developer) on my friendlist has Timeline.

red731

Hi there,

I have one question - how the */°˘ can I delete one poke?
I am clicking on the delete poke cross, but when I click it and refresh, I have that one poke back there again!
I have tried to delete facebook cookies and nothing, I cant for the love of someone delete it...

Do you know what may be the cause? Thank you

ed: sent them a response regarding this. Maybe it is bugged when - friend, poked, no reaction, defriended, forever poked...
feels bugged man

Montresor

Damn, every time I come into this thread I get confused reading the responses - then I think "Right, this isn't a thread for the movie."

Top Bottom